Your Personal Tempest Trial Play Style

jameslove001

I am curious what your personal play style is specific to the Tempest Trials. Do you just ransack the map with your best team? Do you work on levelling up lower level players? Do you work on Horse Emblem? Try out new teams? Do you get to 50,000 and quit? What are your personal goals and how do you run this particular part of the game?

I personally have a goal number for the day. After I reach that I work on my 5* units that aren't at 40 yet. I haven't tapped those out yet, so I don't really have a plan for after that.

I like to promote and build bonus units (and teams around them) specifically for each TTs. I never run the same team, because units with maxed HM are switched out immediately. 

Both of the latest Mini-TTs had pretty strong bonus units (Airzura, Camilla, legendary Heroes) and I used the strongest teams only to get the daily multiplier runs done. The other runs I did with weaker teams, because even lunatic/7 isn't very challenging any more. For example my team with NY!Corrin, Alfonse and Sakura was fun. Actually I enjoy playing Marisa and to find units which profit from her Infantry pulse. 

Mostly I play lunatic/7 without auto-pilot. Sometimes I grind the last 5k-10k points with auto-mode to stay in top 5k, which I succeed in all of the TTs since TT4(or 5?). The only exception has been the Christmas TTs, because I don't enjoy playing armored units and I did more auto-ing than usual. 

I don't know if I will ever reach top 5k again, because I can't compete with the growing number of people who burn all their pots on auto-mode without actually playing the game. 

I just focus on 1 team and roll with it until the end. Grinding HM comes after I get all the rewards but I always leave a 40% bonus unit (for example in this TT I have to leave Fjorm on the team despite her having max HM and SP because she's the only 40% unit I have). 

How far I grind depends on my mood at the start of the event. If I'm feeling down I just do between 5-9k a day and call it quits when reaching the max reward. If I'm feeling motivated I go for a spot in the top 5k.

My teams are almost the same. I use my heavy hitters for the bonus runs in Lunatic 7 and then I change to a more self sustained team for auto battles in Lunatic 5. A weaponless healer is on the team at all times.

2 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

My teams are almost the same. I use my heavy hitters for the bonus runs in Lunatic 7 and then I change to a more self sustained team for auto battles in Lunatic 5. A weaponless healer is on the team at all times.

I have started running Masked Marth and Julia with Breath of Life to serve as my healers. I know it isn't the greatest use of the C-Skill, but otherwise my teams aren't strong enough like yours to make it through these maps. I hope to be able to play you play with some character growth and builds.

Step 1: Place DC Unit.

Step 2: Place a Physic+ tanky healer in the third slot. Edit: Make sure to remove his/her weapon. (I prefer Sakura here. Before I used to use Arvis, and at one point Masked Marth, but healers are just infinitely better now thanks to Wrathful Staff+.)

Step 3: Press auto-battle.

or 

Just grind with a dancer and healer for a ceratin character. Maybe even place a unit who has a Valor Skills, and if you're grinding on lower level maps place an Experience Skill unit in there as well.

Edited by Ae†her

I just use 2 nukes + a dancer and Arvis to best ensure I clear the 2 manual runs with A/A with the point bonus each day.

They I set up a team of tanky units and let auto battle loose on lunatic 5. I used to do it all manually, but now I'd rather let it go on auto and do other things instead. I don't mind burning stamina for not optimizing points manually, since I have plenty to waste.

My current auto team is Fjorm, Summer Robin, Summer Xander and Joshua. 3/4 with TT boosts is great, and they all need plenty of HM still.

The two bonus rounds for the day I do manually with a +40% unit if possible, +20% if not, at least one character that is able to heal themselves and others (right now that's Summer Tiki with Renewal 3 and Ardent Sacrifice). Typically I want all of the units to be a bit bulky for color balance and being able to tank hits if they need to. Units with Aether or Renewal, maybe Sol as well. Possibly going to try out PA!Olivia with 3x Breath of Life combo and see how that goes.

After the manual bonus rounds, I put it on auto-battle, using Stamina Potions if I need to. I have over 200 of the things and Tempest Trials are the only events I use them for anyway.

BUT! This Tempest Trial is different in that I am finally in a position to utilize the x2 Exp and x2 SP that the bonus characters get for participating. I got Gunnthrá and L!Ike on this banner and I want to maximize their SP gains so I don't need to grind them too much to get them their full skill sets. Same for Myrrh but without the bonus SP. I also need to train up New Year's Corrin so I'll probably do that too!

7 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I have started running Masked Marth and Julia with Breath of Life to serve as my healers. I know it isn't the greatest use of the C-Skill, but otherwise my teams aren't strong enough like yours to make it through these maps. I hope to be able to play you play with some character growth and builds.

From my experience the best skills for self-sustain are: Aether (give the Quickened Pulse seal to that unit to reduce the CD), Sol/Noontime if the unit has pretty high atk and Renewal as B-Slot. 

In my opinion the most reliable team would be as follows:

• Weaponless healer with Physic+, Heavenly Light and Live to Serve. This keeps the healer healthy and forces the AI to take a defensive stance instead of running to their death but they can still die if the map is unfavorable for them. 
  • Tank with Aether/Noontime/Sol. This character is going to be the main bruiser, they will probably go down around the 4th or 5th map but that's ok. If they are a bonus unit then they'll be able to survive almost anything. Having DC is the best for them, I think Dragons like Nowi/Y!Tiki/Fae are the best for covering this role regardless of whether they're bonus units or not.
  • Sweeper with Renewal. These kind of units are the ones that kill almost everyone but they also are the ones that could end up dying as soon as the 2nd map. Because the healer won't be able to take care of them all the time Renewal ensures that they'll stay in fighting form for a longer time. Ranged units tend to do this better but melee units can put lots of work too.
  • 40% (20%) Bonus unit. If the bonus unit covers any of the roles I mentioned before then bringing a second tank is the best option for success. 

Something noteworthy is that while the kind of team I said can reliably clear Lunatic 5 (and get an A/A score) most of the time there will always be some maps where the team will fall apart due to 1 unit having everything to counter the team. In that case bring Horse Emblem to clean what's left of the run.

Ever since the first Mini, when I finally had a solid number of available units, I've figured out a pattern that's been working consistently ever since:
Level 35 Lunatic battles only, 10 with a 40% bonus unit, a couple more with a 20%, for an approximate total of 7,000 points per day. Then, I'll grind the remaining 1000/2000 when I have free time. I've never bothered going for high ranks because, despite having Stamina Potions pouring out of every crack in my inventory, putting in the time for all those extra few thousand feathers is not something I'd like to waste my time on. All the basic rewards are enough for me.

Team comp wise I try to prioritize tanks (self-sustaining or not), refreshers and/or healers. Random enemies and marathon runs do not make for easy planning, so survivability is my main focus when considering non-bonus units. Color coverage and weapon variety is preferred, but not required. For desperate situations, I always have a couple Sol/Noontime users in reserve in case my team is lacking in tankyness/self-sustain.

The only fixed thing in my teams are a 4* Lachesis with rehabilitate. It’s not even good, but I used her quite often when my Wrys reached the last HM max, so leaving her with a HM different than max just wasn’t okey. So I put her in those teams (excluding when I want to use especifically a team such as my flier team for any reason). In fact, she even reached the 3000 HM. I was so happy thay I didn’t had to use her again...well, now I think she’ll arrive 4000 HM before Wrys

For the other members of the team, they are usually a bonus unit (as high as possible) and a rotation of heroes that are close to a x500 HM step (doesn’t matter if they’re 5* or not), to earn as much feathers as possible.

As for the maps, I play Lunatic 5, it’s much easier than Lunatic 7, and I’m happy with the points I get. Also, on minis I only push until the last reward and then only do the daily quests. On complete ones, I push as much as possible for the HM feathers. My daily score is around 8000 points, which is enough to get the rewards.

TT is pretty much the game's premier mode for me, as a lot of builds and Skill inheritance decisions hinge upon its multimap format. And all of my Falchion wielders have been built for the medic role as well. If I have access to a 40% bonus unit, I'll typically aim for a top 5K rank as I've got the hundreds of stamina potions to spare. But if I only have access to 20% bonus units, then I'll be content with just picking up all the rewards from the mode.

Besides the two bonus runs a day, my TT runs are almost exclusively auto battle on Hard 5, or Lunatic 5 if I have access to bonus units and their uber stats. I'll still watch what happens and stop units from poor decisions like a sword unit picking a fight with subaki, or an infantry unit ending their turn within the range of Kagero or a mage. It's typically a red, blue, and green unit that haven't maxed their Hero Merit as well as a 4 star healer equipped with physic and no weapon. Healers without a weapon will not aggressively attack enemies, and that will keep them and their allies alive far more consistently.

Normally I will play manually on Lunatic 7 10-11 times a day to get max score by the end without potions, but if I'm desperately trying to pull something I just auto Hard 5 with potions.  I use Nowi and bonus units, subbing in a healer and others who need SP if I don't have multiple bonus units.  Nowi is SB Aether so she can sustain herself without a healer fairly well.

Edited by Nowi's Husband

I usually ensure I end up in the top 500-1000 by a comfortable margin.

As for my play style, for the first 50k/99k pts, I usually bring a blade mage, a brave bow archer, a dancer and the bonus unit. If the bonus unit is a mage, I bring two mages.

This is because I'm impatient and I want to get the orbs/feathers/seals as quickly as possible. Once I max the score, I grind up shittier units' HM for more feathers. 

I usually clear a Lunatic / 7 trial in about 4-5 minutes, even if I get bad RNG w.r.t. opponent match-ups (Sigurd and Effie are units that can slow me down as I need to waste a turn on bringing them down).

To demonstrate, here's a run I did in 3 and a half minutes: 

Spoiler

Edit: I never use autobattle. Not even once. No point playing if you're not... playing.

Edited by Wanda

Two runs of Lunatic/7 with a competent team of some sort (different ones for each TT, as a I try to diversity my unit use and build around the bonus unit(s)). Then one more run to level up some people with and collect the 3/day feather bonus, time permitting.

I can't think of much that would more of a waste of my time than to turn FEH into an auto-battle-thon, so I refuse to do that. This in turn keeps me out of the top 100k but I still get all the rewards which matter so I'm not terribly bothered.

I play Lunatic 7 with a team comprising of Reinhardt, Xander, Dancer and Bonus for the first two runs. 

I play Lunatic 5 with a team comprising of a unit of each colour (usually all physical, with a high res bow), including the bonus, for the rest of the points up until 8k.

If there's nowt going on, I might grind a bit more, but I stop (apart from the three daily runs for prizes) once I hit max, 'cos I'm not bothering to try and rank any more. 

I do it all on manual, personally. Auto-battle is not my thing. 

Edited by Cute Chao

22 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Two runs of Lunatic/7 with a competent team of some sort (different ones for each TT, as a I try to diversity my unit use and build around the bonus unit(s)). Then one more run to level up some people with and collect the 3/day feather bonus, time permitting.

I can't think of much that would more of a waste of my time than to turn FEH into an auto-battle-thon, so I refuse to do that. This in turn keeps me out of the top 100k but I still get all the rewards which matter so I'm not terribly bothered.

I never use autobattle. It requires... tenacity, but you don't need to autobattle to sit in the top 1000.

Recently, I've started doing two Lunatic 7 runs for the daily bonus runs. And then I'll do auto-battle on Lunatic or Hard 5 for the rest of the day. At first, I never autobattled, but during the Christmas themed TT, I really burned out, and I was also super busy. So when I had free time, I didn't want to play. I started auto-battling, and it was great. I could get all the rewards without even trying. It felt like a productive use of stamina to get the rewards, HM, SP, etc.

For teams, I try to run as many bonus units as possible. ATM, I'm running RD Ike, Fjorm, Gunnthra, and Lucius as my healer. If a unit maxes out HM, I try to replace them with someone else. Lucius is getting pretty close, so I may throw in Lachesis, Sakura, or Maria to take his place. I'll likely switch out Ike for Marisa to make sure she can get some HM/SP. And Fjorm for Brave Lucina since she's only 1000 HM away from maxing out once more.

I just realized that I can finish a +10 character, but I need 120k feathers to do it. Currently have a little under 60k. So my goal for this TT is to grind as much HM as possible and rank as high as possible for AAAAAALL the feathers.

40 minutes ago, Wanda said:

I never use autobattle. It requires... tenacity, but you don't need to autobattle to sit in the top 1000.

Fair enough. I don't really want to spend that much time; I generally have between 30 to 60 minutes per day for FEH.

Pretty boring stuff - I do the two manual Lunatic 7 runs a day, spend any excess stamina that accumulates on auto-battling, might take a potion a day on average, adds up to 8-10k points a day. I don't spam stamina potions until near the end of the event where I can judge where the top 10k threshold is. It was always thus, at least since the continuous autobattle feature was added.

In terms of team composition, I just build around the bonus unit, any reasonably balanced team will do. For the manual fights, if there are no red units, I'll take a Falchion medic. For autobattles, I take the usual unarmed healer and a couple of reasonably tanky people.

For this particular edition, my manual team was initially Alm, Fjorm, Myrrh, Linde, but once I got 5* Marisa I switched to Marisa, Fjorm, Myrrh, Bridelyn. Autobattle team is Marisa, QR Fjorm, Iote's seal Myrrh, Maria.

I have a second account and I do three runs a day on it, either manual Lunatic5 or auto Hard5 depending on my mood, just to get some of the low-hanging fruit.