Favourite Female protagonist

Ginger567

Favourite Female protagonist   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Female protagonist

I would say either Micaiah or Elincia.

Both are very interesting characters that go through quite a lot of character development. Elincia is a hidden-away princess who tries to save her kingdom, while Micaiah is a Joan-of-Arc character trying to free it from oppression. They both go through quite a lot over the course of those particular arcs, but their character and story arcs don't end there.

Part 2 of Radiant Dawn may have largely been filler, but we got to see Elincia's struggles as queen. In part 3, we see her struggle to keep her kingdom neutral in the war between the Laguz Alliance and the Begnion Empire, and I really like that moment where she goes directly between the two armies and basically tells them to take the fight elsewhere. For part 3, we see Micaiah struggle under the weight of being Daein's paragon, and it's very interesting to see, and while the blood pact was not a good plot device, how she responds to the predicament Daein is in is very well-written, and I like how her character is written overall.

Neither character has an underlying selfish motivation (cough Celica cough); they both just want to help the people in their respective kingdoms. I really like the compassion that both characters show throughout their respective stories.

I also like how their personalities change to reflect their development: Elincia starts off as very formal and, for lack of a better word, nervous. She grows more relaxed, confident, and determined over the course of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I love that moment in Path of Radiance where she tells Ike to, "Give them... Give them a sound thrashing!"; them being the Ravens and Daein soldiers pretending to be pirates, and Ike just responds, "Huh...You're starting to sound like one of us, aren't you?" Micaiah also gets similar moments in Radiant Dawn that I like as well, and I like how she starts off being afraid of people getting close enough to find out about her brand, but gradually warms up to being in public.

Both are great characters. I really liked them.

Celica... She had potential. I wish I could like her character, and there are good things to say about her. Sadly, there are also not-so good things, and several of them.

Anyone else notice that the two run-away favorites are magic users--the female swordfighters, not-so-much???  

...its almost like we've been conditioned to have a gendered view of what a leading female's role should be...

*puts away feminist soapbox* well at least we can all agree Corrin is terrible. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

Anyone else notice that the two run-away favorites are magic users--the female swordfighters, not-so-much???  

...its almost like we've been conditioned to have a gendered view of what a leading female's role should be...

Isn't this comment a little misplaced. I mean, Lyn and Lucina clearly eclipse everyone else on this list in popularity.

...kinda strange seeing Celica get so many votes though, considering how terribly Echoes treated her. Her role in the original Gaiden already left a lot to be desired but none of the changes to her story benefit her as a character. They just make her out to be a moron who keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over without ever learning anything, yet at the end somehow Alm still needs her for her "wisdom".

oh wait where is robin??

it's funny, all the girls excepting micaiah are sword user, and there is 2 mage.

favourite storywise? probably Micaiah or Lyn, I like Lyn tutorial and she killed her own granduncle

gameplay wise it's Celica. She can use both physical and magic attack, which wasn't present in any FE in the archanean Saga, access to good magic (seraphim, ragnarok, excalibur)

Because Celica did so much...

Anyways Lucina is my fave because she's the best unit out all of them IMO, and still somewhat of a decent character. (Maybe except Corrin, but she's not even remotely well written).

Edited by Ae†her

I went with Elincia, since she's the female lead of the most consequence in her universe who gets the least sidelined by that universe. Also... a flying lord. Yes.

I like Micaiah too, but she isn't even Micaiah half the time, so she loses points for that.

Lyn might as well not exist once her prologue is done.

As for Eirika... "I'm going to go become embroiled in second-tier regionalized conflicts while my brother fights the empire, resolves most of the important plot points, and ultimately becomes king."

Lucina is completely uninteresting once she takes off her disguise.

Corrin isn't quite as horrid as she's made out to be, but still not great.

Haven't played Echoes, so can't assess Celica.

5 minutes ago, Lau said:

Celica because she's gorgeous, and is very flawed.

Micaiah is the runner up because she's gorgeous, plus she's one of my favourites to use in Heroes.

Only wish those flaws of theirs didn't really screw them over as they did. :/

I chose Eirika because I'm bias as hell. 

Eirika because I'm emotionally attached, love her design, first lord bias, great character and is still the main protagonist if you choose her route. I despise Lucina so no vote for her from me any time soon. I haven't played Tellius yet so I'm not emotionally invested in the characters. <- Pelleas, Jill, and Harr are the exceptions and I have no idea why. Celica has a gorgeous design and I like her but some of what happens in Echoes irks me even if it's understandable. I'm neutral towards Corrin because the character themselves are bland but their design is cool and headcannons make everything better.

• 3 weeks later...

If Elincia is in there, then I think a case could definitely be made for Azura. She gets more screen time and focus than the likes of Elincia (or Lillina or Shiida etc) and even gets to have a child despite not being part of the gender that has them in the game (like Chrom). Hell she's even responsible for beating the final boss. Compared to Azura, Elincia's about as important as Felicia. Only thing Elincia has going for her is Part 2 of Radiant Dawn, and she's only available for two chapters there. She doesn't even lead the Hawk army come part four (much to my irritance).

Lucina. She's very competent and resourceful, with a genuine and sympathetic backstory, and has a great character. Also, I like a character who can carry the team without being completely overpowered, which Lucina is. Normally, I wouldn't like her because she's a bit edgy and I hate edgelords, but she has enough redeeming qualities to be my favourite female FE lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Elincia, to me, has the best character growth. I really like her part in RD - I think it's my favourite of the stories, the bits that focus on her and her people. She's pretty much been thrust into the spotlight and then has to make some really hard choices, against a lot of people that don't like her. I really respect her for that. 

Micaiah and Lucina are both probably next. Both have interesting characters and again make tough choices without really doing anything stupid to counteract them (that immediately springs to mind). It still bugs me that Micaiah isn't allowed to land the final blow. 

Lyn - She's a good character, although it's a shame she's mostly sidelined after the tutorial. I love her outlook and her determination. 

Corrin - I don't have any problems with her. She makes some stupid decisions and some good ones, but I'm pretty neutral on her. 

Eirika and Celica - I want to like them, and I do for a lot of their story... but it feels like they just make really stupid decisions for the heck of it. Giving the stone to Lyon for Eirika and the possession of Celica just really took me out of it, especially in the latter which already had just about every female character you could recruit (and even many you couldn't) either kidnapped or possessed at one stage or another, which got old quickly. Plus there was that absolutely ridiculous fight with Alm that just really made me roll my eyes. 

Celica.  Cause gameplay reasons, she is one of the most diverse and fun characters to use who also happens to be a lord.  Bonus that magic works in a much more interesting way in Echoes/Gaiden with all the varying ranges and such.  Then her signature sword is also awesome.  

Story wise really like her character, except the terrible damsel in distress naive/stupid doesn't match her character trust Dumah thing which seems shoe horned to make Alm the hero.  Besides that she is very likeable, attractive without any fanservice as well.  Her love story of separation and reunion and separation and reunion and soforth with Alm which starts when they were little kids is one of the most compelling in the series.   

On 2/5/2018 at 2:39 PM, Arthur97 said:

I was diverging the two. Protagonists would be Chrom and Robin. Main characters are like Emmeryn, Lucina, and Frederick. Then there are side characters like Cordelia, Gaius, and any of the other kids.

Also, Lucina at least has some impact on the plot as a whole while Lyn really doesn't. Though, judging by that last sentence, you sound a bit...bitter? Hateful?

To nitpick, protagonists are by definition main characters, though if we do want to expand how you're doing, then not all main characters are protagonists. Sort of a square/rectangle thing.

Really breaking it down, Chrom and Robin would be dual protagonists/MCs. Lucina would be a deuteragonist, and possibly Emmeryn, though to me she feels more like a significant secondary character. She doesn't drive the plot so much as give motivation to the MCs like Obi-wan in A New Hope. Even the more significant non-MCs, Frederick and Lissa for example, would be secondary characters since they aren't vital to the plot in anything more that a very superficial level. Characters like Gaius would be tertiary characters where they have virtually no impact on the plot.

On topic, Celica is my favorite. Maybe it is the VAing giving her more character, but I like her a lot. I also think all the things people complain about her doing are more cases of dramatic irony, tropiness (which story characters shouldn't be aware of unless you're going for a meta narrative, which has a gigantic chance of being awful), and her being a well-intentioned, but flawed person, rather than her being a poorly handled character.

Overall my ranking would go:

1. Celica
  2. Elincia
  3. Lyn & Lucina
  4. Micaiah - Surprised how popular she's become recently. I remember when everyone was dogmatically convinced she was the worst character FE had ever spawned.
  5. Eirika - I like her, but she, like SS as a whole, just doesn't stick for me.
  6. Corrin

That said, I like all of them except Corrin.

• 2 weeks later...

Favourite would have to be either Elincia or Micaiah. Leaning slightly more towards Micaiah, because I enjoyed her uncompromising attitude towards her ideals while also facing the consequences of it. Elincia has a great arc of becoming queen and learns how to make tough decision while still preserving her kindness. It's a shame that she lost focus so quickly after Part 2 of RD.

I am kind of neutral towards Lucina. I do aknowledge that she has some interesting aspects to her, but I just never really connected with her in any way.

Also more neutral about Eirika. While there are things to like about her, it's painfully obvious how much a second fiddle she is playing to Ephraim all the time.

Celica has a very pretty design and I do like how driven she can be. Shame that the game treats her so poorly. Instead of showing her pacifism as something to be valued, it's just overly simplified to "War is scary", dragged out only to be mocked and show how naive she is. Basically, she gets dragge dodwn by the plot so Alm can shine all the brighter and end up rescuing her.

I have no solid opinion on Lyn, since I didn't play her game.

Corrin is.. yeah I think i've said enough about her in the past. Just a complete disaster.

Mine would be Lucina, followed by Elincia....
Lucina is an interesting one, Time travel aspect aside, from the get go she is placed in a terrible situation (though to be fair, most ladies on the list are also in one) where she has to fight a monster of unbelievable power, whilst trying to keep her peoples morale and kingdom standing, all by herself as her parents are gone, then to try and avoid that future, she gets sent back in time to attempt to prevent Grima's Resurrection by preventing a key turning point in history. But if you notice, she gets sent back a little to far into the past, Runs into her aunt and father, and disappears, so with time on her hands, she doesn't just sit around, she trains, competes to get stronger, tries to give the other country power for the year in hopes that this will also deter Emmylns Assassination (As Im sure the other leader would of been the target instead), and competes against her own father to test her own abilities. In the end though, sorta like Terminator, it still happens, but Lucina gets a lot of development and her supports with Chrom and Sumia (Canon mother?) are very interesting, getting to spend time doing things she was deprived off as an adolescent because of Giant Scary Monster Dragon.

Elincia is well.... Elincia, she actually makes me care about her situation, and has feelings, which is more than I can say for other ladies on the list like Eirika and Corrin (Who I'm not sure should be on the list as Corrin can be either gender? Thus Corrin only appears half the time on this list compared to the other ladies).