Why are Iron Man runs called that?

Dragoncat

The Pokemon equivalent is called a Nuzlocke run because the guy who invented it went by Nuzlocke (I think?) so were Iron Man runs invented by a FE fan going by Iron Man? Or not? Why Iron Man over any other superhero?

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

The Pokemon equivalent is called a Nuzlocke run because the guy who invented it went by Nuzlocke (I think?) so were Iron Man runs invented by a FE fan going by Iron Man? Or not? Why Iron Man over any other superhero?

It's not based on the Super Hero, the terminology of an "iron man" run goes into many different games not just Fire Emblem, the term itself its derived fromĀ 

66bc3cdefe736a9a542a6699c6297ff1.png

it goes hand in hand with moving forward regardless of the consequences or circumstances also some tactical games like Jagged Alliance or Xcom use the term for particular difficulty modes.

It might have something to do with how the abbreviation for our series is FE, which is the same as Fe, the periodic table's label for Iron. It's something of an in-joke even among IS staff where more than a few games are internally referred to as, like, 14iron, as in FE14.

Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't been around long enough to tell you.

I imagine the term comes from Ironman Triathlon / World Championship. A series of long distance races without a break demanding great endurance.

Gamers have come to useĀ this term to define any general no resetting/reloading run. Long ago I've seen FE players generally just callĀ themĀ no-reset runs but they both mean the same thing in the end.

14 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It's not based on the Super Hero, the terminology of an "iron man" run goes into many different games not just Fire Emblem, the term itself its derived fromĀ 

66bc3cdefe736a9a542a6699c6297ff1.png

it goes hand in hand with moving forward regardless of the consequences or circumstances also some tactical games like Jagged Alliance or Xcom use the term for particular difficulty modes.

Specifically this.Ā 

Iron Man mode in XCOM hardsaves your game, and overwrites autosaves. So if a unit dies, there's no save scumming, they're dead for good.Ā 

Since Fire Emblem doesn't have such a feature, Iron Mans are self-imposed.Ā 

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Sort of, the joke was about a Nuzleaf that had John Locke's face and talked a bit like the character, hence the name. The name stuck after it got buzz and the guy did use Nuzlocke as a moniker.

I was on those forums a long time back, ironman was used for non-pokemon games (Like FE, the reason I actually knew about the series. :P)

Ironman Triathalons are like 2.5 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking, and 26.2 miles of running (a full marathon on its own) without break. I only know because of the episode of Magnum PI where he tries to do the original Ironman triathalon in Hawaii. He had to stop near the end to catch the bad guys. Great episode, 10/10.