His Dark Materials - worth reading? (spoiler free)

coldhand25

Alright, so I just finished watching the Golden Compass (it was on tv, and I tought I might watch it since there was nothing I planned for tonight), and actually I've started watching it a few years ago, but never finished it up until now, even though I always felt like I should. Obviously, I liked it (hence the topic), and I regret it a bit that I watched it so many years after I first learned about it. So, I tought I might start reading the books, but I found mixed reviews about it (mainly the ending), stating that it was lazy, unfinished or just simply bad - while others said it was emotional, and darkish (u know, sad stuff and all...). Now, I do like fantasy stories, and I'm interested in the world of this, but I'm not sure how I would feel if it turned out I read a trilogy for some rough-and-ready ending. So I just want to get some ideas if it's worth reading, or should I just skip it? (Once again, I know nothing of the books, except for what was in the film, and that the ending was controversial - though I don't know what happens there)
Also, please keep the topic spoiler-free, not just for me, but for others wandering here as well :)

The first book is good, the second one is OK and the last one just gets weird and has a rather bad ending.  I am trying to skip spoilers so all I will say on the last one is if you like certain characters in the first and second books you probably will hate the ending at least I did.  

45 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

The first book is good, the second one is OK and the last one just gets weird and has a rather bad ending.  I am trying to skip spoilers so all I will say on the last one is if you like certain characters in the first and second books you probably will hate the ending at least I did.  

......I can't really discuss it here as no spoilers, but I am wondering your thoughts on it now.

I liked the series, though it does have a quite strong message in relation to religion so fair warning. It's also been a good while since I finished it, so I'm not remembering it as well as I'd like.

11 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yes. It's well worth reading. The third book goes to some strange and unexpected places, but I still rate it well above it's standard competitors in the genre.

Thanks, I think I'm going to read it then, I became quite curious about how the things change in the third book.

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

I liked the series, though it does have a quite strong message in relation to religion so fair warning. It's also been a good while since I finished it, so I'm not remembering it as well as I'd like.

That thing about religion didn't really came trough for me in the movie, but I looked it up and realized it kind of got left out from it. Actually it just make the books the more appealing to me. Also, I like your profile picture :D

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the books are very worth reading. The messages are very... not subtle, but not obnoxiously so. They are among my top 10 or so book series, as they are fantastically written and have a wonderful world built in them