Jump to content
Erik-a

Which Fire Emblem game is the best and which one should I play?

Recommended Posts

I'm kind of new to the FE series and I haven't really played many of the games so far. I already played Awakening, Birthright, and I'm working through Sacred Stones, Echoes, and Conquest right now. Which FE game do you think is the best and which one would you recommend for a new person getting into the series?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion the best one is Sacred Stones but my personal favorite is Blazing Sword which has a thorough tutorial you can skip and is also a good introduction to older fire emblem

Edited by Papa Brando

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sacred Stones is one of my favorites. Blazing Sword (FE7) aka just "Fire Emblem" outside of Japan is one that a lot of people say is one of the best. If you can use an emulator, I would definitely recommend Path of Radiance followed by Radiant Dawn too. It sounds like you've gotten through the easier games, I wish you luck with the ones you're playing now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have experience with 5 games in the series thus far so I wouldn't call you 'new' anymore.

Perhaps it is time for you to tackle Genealogy of the Holy War if you want a different (and difficult) Fire Emblem experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we had a counter for how many times this question was asked.  "Best" is subjective, my definition may not match yours.  

For a new player, anything between 6-14 is good.

Which of those games did you enjoy the most? I can recommend a particular game based on what you like. There's also the matter of accessibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all of the ones you've played and the ones you're playing through are good for newcomers.  Some of those games might not be good for someone who has never played a FE game before, but with your experience I think they should be fine.

As an experience, FE Awakening or New Mystery were probably my favorites.  I also enjoyed Birthright the first time through.

As for other games, I'd recommend either one of the Mystery of the Emblem games or Blazing Blade.  Both are fairly classic and reasonably challenging.  And I particularly like the story in Mystery, as well as the assassins' side story in New Mystery (all the feels for Katarina and her adoptive sister).  Unfortunately, both Mystery games only ever released in Japan, so one might need to go through certain hoops to get those ones and get them in English...

Really, I don't think you can go wrong trying any of the games in the series, though you'll definitely feel a dent in your wallet if you intend to buy Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn nowadays.  More than ten years later, and many outlets still sell them for $60 or more.

On an aside, how long have you been playing FE?  A year or two?  Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While expensive and hard to get a hold of nowadays, I would recommend Path of Radiance and then Radiant Dawn. They have a lot of fun features that would be both a mix of familiar and new to you based on what you have played so far. They implement skills (though in a different fashion from Awakening/Fates), including some fun ones like Shove and Smite. Radiant Dawn follows PoR's story quite well and has an epic, albeit disjointed, scope that is satisfying to play through. If you enjoy the split team aspect of Echoes, you might find the Parts system in Radiant Dawn interesting. 

If you do not mind employing some seedier methods of playing Japan-exclusive titles, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery are also a great combo. Shadow Dragon is fairly straightforward and the forging and reclassing systems are fun to explore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Køkø said:

I wish we had a counter for how many times this question was asked.  "Best" is subjective, my definition may not match yours.  

For a new player, anything between 6-14 is good.

Which of those games did you enjoy the most? I can recommend a particular game based on what you like. There's also the matter of accessibility.

I really enjoy Fates, especially Birthright. I'm really enjoying Conquest and Echoes as well. I'm drawn to the story in Fates and in Echoes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think all of the ones you've played and the ones you're playing through are good for newcomers.  Some of those games might not be good for someone who has never played a FE game before, but with your experience I think they should be fine.

As an experience, FE Awakening or New Mystery were probably my favorites.  I also enjoyed Birthright the first time through.

As for other games, I'd recommend either one of the Mystery of the Emblem games or Blazing Blade.  Both are fairly classic and reasonably challenging.  And I particularly like the story in Mystery, as well as the assassins' side story in New Mystery (all the feels for Katarina and her adoptive sister).  Unfortunately, both Mystery games only ever released in Japan, so one might need to go through certain hoops to get those ones and get them in English...

Really, I don't think you can go wrong trying any of the games in the series, though you'll definitely feel a dent in your wallet if you intend to buy Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn nowadays.  More than ten years later, and many outlets still sell them for $60 or more.

On an aside, how long have you been playing FE?  A year or two?  Just curious.

I've been playing since sometime last year. I started out with Awakening and I'm completely addicted to FE now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

You have experience with 5 games in the series thus far so I wouldn't call you 'new' anymore.

Perhaps it is time for you to tackle Genealogy of the Holy War if you want a different (and difficult) Fire Emblem experience.

I've been about thinking that one a lot lately. I'm gonna definitely try that one out.

Edited by Erik-a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Erik-a said:

I really enjoy Fates, especially Birthright. I'm really enjoying Conquest and Echoes as well. I'm drawn to the story in Fates and in Echoes.

So Birthright, right. The Fates trilogy is quite different from the rest of the series in terms of gameplay, the best step after your repertoire would be any one of the GBA games. Particularly Sacred Stones if you like grinding. Sacred Stones also features branching promotions (though not as variable as Fates), assuming you're into that. How do you like it so far? 

Path of Radiance is relatively flawless and the best start for beginners. Assuming you have the hardware and aren't rich, it will hurt your wallet. Even more so if you lack the former. There's hope if your computer is good enough to run Dolphin. 

I take back what I said about 6-14, I do not recommend Radiant Dawn for someone who's still trying to get a feel of the series. This game has the same accessibility issues as its sibling Path of Radiance. It is ultimately your choice in the end. 

And Mystery of the Emblem isn't so bad for your level either. A bit dated, but I suggest it over FE12. How do you like Echoes' mechanics? It and the original Gaiden are the black sheep of the FE family, and if you like their mechanics, Kaga era FE may be for you. 

I do not recommend Genealogy of the Holy War yet, unless you like wiping out hordes of enemies effortlessly with 1-4 units. I mean, you might because that's kinda what Birthright is. The mechanics are very different from what you're used to but there's plenty of guides and people to help you if you need it. 

Stay away from Thracia for now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Køkø said:

 

And Mystery of the Emblem isn't so bad for your level either. A bit dated, but I suggest it over FE12. 

 

What reason is there to suggest Mystery of the Emblem over it's (much better, in my view) remake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

What reason is there to suggest Mystery of the Emblem over it's (much better, in my view) remake?

Several. Remember that part about "best" being subjective? I do not like the trend FE12 set and I believe that FE3 deserves a better remake than what it got. Granted, FE12 may appeal to OP more considering they like Birthright, but I've yet to confirm how they feel about the gameplay. Only story was mentioned.  

 Some things off the top being FE3 dragonstones, a superior OST, the lack of the worst Avatar... 

 Not to mention the fact the DS games have the shittiest graphics in the series.

Edited by Køkø

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Papa Brando said:

In my opinion the best one is Sacred Stones but my personal favorite is Blazing Sword which has a thorough tutorial you can skip and is also a good introduction to older fire emblem

That's where you're wrong kiddo

Edited by Tuvy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

That's where you're wrong kiddo

was that Hector mode you could skip Lyn's story in, if so my apologies it's been awhile since I played Blazing Sword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like big maps and a really good story, than is Fire Emblem Genealogy (FE4) perfect. Path of Radiance(FE9) is another option, it is all in all a very good game, with interesting story and good characters (You like Ike?).
Also recommendable are the games of the GBA, especially Sacred Stones(FE8) and The Binding Blade(FE6). I can't recommend FE7, because I think it is better to have played FE6 before you play this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Papa Brando said:

was that Hector mode you could skip Lyn's story in, if so my apologies it's been awhile since I played Blazing Sword

You can only skip Lyn's tutorial after you beat the game, and the same goes for Hectors tale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

You can only skip Lyn's tutorial after you beat the game, and the same goes for Hectors tale.

Ah, you posted it while I was in the middle of it. I'm honestly surprised he didn't know that considering it's his favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Køkø said:

Ah, you posted it while I was in the middle of it. I'm honestly surprised he didn't know that considering it's his favorite. 

It honestly a doink move of myself I only played through FE7  twice both times being awhile ago but I still should've remembered that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Papa Brando said:

It honestly a doink move of myself I only played through FE7  twice both times being awhile ago but I still should've remembered that 

I meant no insult. It's just that your left side is super FE7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Køkø said:

I meant no insult. It's just that your left side is super FE7.

no insult taken here, I understand where you're coming from 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really loved Genealogy of a Holy War. It's the FE that gives you the greatest sense of a "grand conflict" of several nations at war (mainly because the maps are so dang huge and involve multiple armies fighting over entire countries in each chapter). It's also the origin point of a lot of the more gameplay-enhancing elements of the FE series, many of which got left out of the GBA games.

I see a lot of love on here for Sacred Stones, but I personally found it to be too easy and too short. It felt like story chapters were sacrificed for the sake of adding extra monster-grinding levels.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn together form quite a magnum opus together if you can get your hands on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no "best game" in Fire Emblem. Everyone here has there own favourite and can easily give many reasons as to why that is. My personal favourite is Awakening, but since you've already played that I'd say finish Sacred Stones and then start with Blazing Blade. They're some of my favourites in the series after Awakening and I think either of them are great choices to play going forward. Once you finish those, I'd recommend Path of Radiance and its sequel; Radiant Dawn. Those two are tough to find nowadays though so you may want to hold off unless you don't mind putting a dent in your wallet.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 5:55 PM, Køkø said:

So Birthright, right. The Fates trilogy is quite different from the rest of the series in terms of gameplay, the best step after your repertoire would be any one of the GBA games. Particularly Sacred Stones if you like grinding. Sacred Stones also features branching promotions (though not as variable as Fates), assuming you're into that. How do you like it so far? 

Path of Radiance is relatively flawless and the best start for beginners. Assuming you have the hardware and aren't rich, it will hurt your wallet. Even more so if you lack the former. There's hope if your computer is good enough to run Dolphin. 

I take back what I said about 6-14, I do not recommend Radiant Dawn for someone who's still trying to get a feel of the series. This game has the same accessibility issues as its sibling Path of Radiance. It is ultimately your choice in the end. 

And Mystery of the Emblem isn't so bad for your level either. A bit dated, but I suggest it over FE12. How do you like Echoes' mechanics? It and the original Gaiden are the black sheep of the FE family, and if you like their mechanics, Kaga era FE may be for you. 

I do not recommend Genealogy of the Holy War yet, unless you like wiping out hordes of enemies effortlessly with 1-4 units. I mean, you might because that's kinda what Birthright is. The mechanics are very different from what you're used to but there's plenty of guides and people to help you if you need it. 

Stay away from Thracia for now.

 

I'm liking Sacred Stones so far and I haven't got far since I've been rotating between Conquest and Echoes lately, which I also really like the mechanics in Echoes in. I heard from a friend that Thracia is one of the hardest FE games out there, so I'm gonna stay away from that for a while until I get more into the series.  A friend offered to lend me his copy of Path of Radiance, so I'll have that to keep in mind for now. I'm gonna try Genealogy of the Holy War for sure, but not right now since I'm having enough trouble chapter ten on Conquest as it is right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say "best" is subjective - everyone will like a different FE game for different reasons.

3 hours ago, Erik-a said:

I heard from a friend that Thracia is one of the hardest FE games out there, so I'm gonna stay away from that for a while until I get more into the series.

I'd say a lot of what makes Thracia hard is awful game design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...