Greatest Conqueror Villain

vanguard333

Best Conqueror Villain  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best conqueror villain?

• Medeus
    • Michalis
    • Rudolf
    • Corrupted Hardin
    • Arvis
    • Julius/Loptyr
    • Zephiel
    • Vigarde
    • Lyon
    • Ashnard
    • Lekain/Begnion Senate
    • Gangrel
    • Walhart
    • Garon

What the title says. Whether it be the shadow dragon, a tyrant in red armour, a mad king, or a scheming senate; Fire Emblem is full of villains who drive some of the story through leadership and conquest of other kingdoms. Who, in your opinion, is the best of the FE villains that lead conquering nations and empires? Why?

To be clear, this is a villain who leads one nation in conquest of another. 

Spoiler

I know Rudolf arguably isn't evil, but he still counts

Edited by vanguard333

This sounds MUCH more like "favorite evil ruler", since some of these aren't even emperors (Lyon, Zephiel, Lekain, Ashnard, Gangrel, Garon, Julius). And Lekain doesn't belong here, either.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

52 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Lekain doesn't lead Begnion, Sanaki does (being empress and all).

He does throw her out in a coup in Part 3 of Radiant Dawn. I admit including him is a bit of a stretch, but, when he is in charge, Begnion does invade Crimea and attempts to invade Gallia. It's Valtome who orders said invasion, but he himself serves Lekain. 

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This sounds MUCH more like "favorite evil ruler", since some of these aren't even emperors (Lyon, Lekain, Ashnard, Gangrel, Garon, Julius). And Lekain doesn't belong here, either.

I'm less referring to having the actual title, and more "rules this nation. Invades another." Should I change the title to conqueror villain, perhaps?

16 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm less referring to having the actual title, and more "rules this nation. Invades another." Should I change the title to conqueror villain, perhaps?

Yeah, but even that's a bit of a misnomer. Arvis, Julius, and the Begnion Senate aren't really conquerors. They expand their reach and power through manipulation and politics rather than brute force conquering. They all technically do invade and conquer at parts of the story, but that's not their usual MO for 90% of the games.

51 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, but even that's a bit of a misnomer. Arvis, Julius, and the Begnion Senate aren't really conquerors. They expand their reach and power through manipulation and politics rather than brute force conquering. They all technically do invade and conquer at parts of the story, but that's not their usual MO for 90% of the games.

Thanks for your input.

Honestly; at this point, I'm almost at a loss on what to call this. Words are not my strong point. Should I just leave it the way it is, or what should I rename it?

Edited by vanguard333

Rudolf isn't evil. He's just a clown, who played the biggest joke of them all.

The best is either Walhart or Arvis. I'm leaning more so towards Arvis.

Why isn't Gharnef on this list? He's the actual villain in FE 1 and 3. 

I'll go with the Begnion Senate before part 4 for realism and nuance. Arvis is a close second though.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

A conqueror is someone who conquers. Whether it's few or many doesn't change that fact. He should change the emperor thing though if this is his roster. 

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This sounds MUCH more like "favorite evil ruler", since some of these aren't even emperors (Lyon, Zephiel, Lekain, Ashnard, Gangrel, Garon, Julius). And Lekain doesn't belong here, either.

How is Julius, head of the Grandbell Empire, not an emperor? You may argue that he didn't inherit the title for most of FE4, but Arvis was powerless and emperor in name only. And he did die in chapter 10, so he did have the title in the final one.

Edited by Køkø

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 3:28 AM, Køkø said:

Why isn't Gharnef on this list? He's the actual villain in FE 1 and 3. 

He isn't on the list because he's not a ruler/conqueror; he's an evil sorcerer, and most of what he does is largely behind the scenes. He may be an evil mastermind, but Medeus is the one leading the Dohlr Empire in Shadow Dragon, and Hardin is the one leading Archenea in FE 3, albeit while corrupted by the darksphere.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎05 at 10:28 PM, Ae†her said:

Rudolf isn't evil. He's just a clown, who played the biggest joke of them all.

I already commented on why Rudolf is in this list.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 3:28 AM, Køkø said:

A conqueror is someone who conquers. Whether it's few or many doesn't change that fact. He should change the emperor thing though if this is his roster. 

Thanks. I'll change that right now.

Edited by vanguard333

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I already commented on why Rudolf is in this list.

I was making a point about the writing of Rudolf in Echoes not whether Rudolf had deserved to be on the list or not.

11 hours ago, Ae†her said:

I was making a point about the writing of Rudolf in Echoes not whether Rudolf had deserved to be on the list or not.

Oh; Okay then. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by vanguard333

Is Michalis really a conqueror? All Macedon does is fail to take over Aurelis while Grust and Dulhr actually succeed in taking over the kingdoms they were supposed to invade. After their failure in Aurelis Macedon doesn't really do much. Minerva fights Marth once  but otherwise Grust is the most often seen enemy until Marth invades Macedon. 

13 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Is Michalis really a conqueror? All Macedon does is fail to take over Aurelis while Grust and Dulhr actually succeed in taking over the kingdoms they were supposed to invade. After their failure in Aurelis Macedon doesn't really do much. Minerva fights Marth once  but otherwise Grust is the most often seen enemy until Marth invades Macedon. 

True. But there's no Grustian character that can be considered a conqueror, as Grust's king goes entirely unseen and, if I recall correctly, isn't it revealed in New Mystery that Grust only got involved because Gharnef held the king's children hostage?

Michalis may have ultimately failed, but he still ruled Macedon and ordered it to attack Aurelis out of his own ambition. 

On 2/15/2018 at 7:39 PM, vanguard333 said:

Okay. ...Could you elaborate?

For one, he's greedy and wants political power. Secondly, after living a life where the Begnion Senators are regarded as holy special people, he gains this superiority complex that drives his ambition even further which explains just why he acts and thinks the way he does. Also, while Lekain is pure evil, he's not evil for the sake of evil as each of his actions have an underlying motive to further his own ambition and not just to piss off the audience and the good guys.