Was Rath an only child?

Paper Jam

Since Dayan is Rath’s father and Sue’s grandfather, absent any additional information there are three possibilities for the relationship between Rath and Sue:

-Rath is Sue’s father.

-Rath’s brother (if Rath has a brother) is Sue’s father.

-Rath’s sister (if Rath has a sister) is Sue’s mother.

Do we have enough evidence to eliminate the latter two possibilities? And if so, where is it?

I don't know if there's any official word. I think that Rath and Lyn's paired ending, which states that they returned to Sacae and had a daughter pretty strongly implies that it's Sue.

The 20th anniversary artbook pretty much lists Rath in Sue's family tree as being Sue's father. Lyn's also listed there too, but I wouldn't take that particular mention to mean much, as she's also listed in Roy's and Lilina's family trees, pretty much indicating that Lyn's husband is whoever the player decides to be. Despite Hector/Lyn getting as much favoritism in that book as Eliwood/Ninian gets.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:08 AM, Just call me AL said:

The 20th anniversary artbook pretty much lists Rath in Sue's family tree as being Sue's father. Lyn's also listed there too, but I wouldn't take that particular mention to mean much, as she's also listed in Roy's and Lilina's family trees, pretty much indicating that Lyn's husband is whoever the player decides to be. Despite Hector/Lyn getting as much favoritism in that book as Eliwood/Ninian gets.

Which suggests to me the evidence that Rath was Sue's father is not much stronger than the evidence that Lyn was her mother.

Edited by Paper Jam

On the contrary. Applying law of conservation of details, the fact Rath has a daughter in his paired ending, and that he can't die (reserved not only for characters that appear in the sequel, like Marcus, Karel, or Bartre, but also characters who are canonically the parents of sequel characters that have not been born yet, like Nino, Karla, Pent, and Louise), it shows that they wouldn't do that if he wasn't meant to be Sue's father.

Basically, they made Rath canonically survive the game no matter what you do, and mention having a daughter in his paired ending, because he was written in as Sue's father. Otherwise, if Rath had a sibling that could be Sue's parent, he would be subject to dying if his HP drops to 0. Same way Nino survives to birth Raigh and Lugh, Pent and Louise survive to birth Klein and Clarinne (and because they're mentioned to be alive in Binding Blade as well), and Bartre and Karla survive to birth Fir; Rath survives to be Sue's father.

Edited by Acacia Sgt