Physical Books or E Books?

Captain Karnage

Digital distribution has come up again in my news feed again, and it's got me thinking about books. 

For me I slims exclusively use digital for music and movies, video games I'm mostly still buying physical games but I do get a lot of digital games still, but for books I still get mainly hard copies and I rarely ever consider digital. I'd also like to say that reading a book on a screen is much different on paper and I notice a bit of eye strain on my half, the only exception with this is the Amazon Kindle with the really weird screen that imitates paper.

If I am going to buy the book I buy it as a physical book, that way if I end up not liking it as much as I thought I can take it to the used bookstore in the next town and trade it in for credit to buy a book I will like.  I can't trade ebooks in.  I do read manga online, but that is mostly because my favorites have no official English translation and I have to read translations done by fans for fans.  Stupid Tokyopop having to stop printing manga and then coming back but not finishing Saiyuki, at least Viz got the rights to print Trinity Blood hopefully they will get the rights to Saiyuki some day.  I ended up off topic but yeah physical books are good, plus I don't have a tablet or e reader so physical is best for me.

If it's a book I am interested in or a series I like, definitely physical. Feels nice, easy to read, and is good to display on a bookshelf. Plus you can lend them to friends when they want to read! However, if it's a required book for a class, I would definitely go digital as it tends to be the cheapest.

When it comes to books I always get a physical copy. There's nothing like feeling the book in your hands as you read it, and you can underline or highlight certain statements within said book, I doubt I would consider getting a digital version over a physical copy. Music I will download though even with music I would like to have the actual C.D. so that I can play it on my C.D. player at home or in my truck.

Books I go soley physical. I can't stand reading digital texts for extended periods of time;my mind wanders and I end off elsewhere(hyperlinks are a problem I face daily), but I like to read, so to help my focus, I keep physical. It also feels more authentic and betters my experience.

Music is digital only for me, I don't listen to a lot of music anyway.

Games really depend when I see/get interested in the game tbh. I might be out at the store and something catches my eye, or maybe I'm browsing the digital marketplace at home and the same happens.

I don't watch movies or TV, so neither.

Free PDFs. Saves you a ton of money from buying college textbooks! Screw paying $50+ for something you'll only use for 3 months.

Also Ctrl+F is a godsend when trying to look something up instead of flipping through the index.

Edited by Ronnie

If I'm in a pinch and I need a book right away, I'll try to find an electronic copy if I can. Other than that, I prefer physical copies all the way. I find it easier to flip through a book if I wanted to go back, rather than just spam clicking or guessing page numbers to find the page I need. Also since I'm pretty much on the computer the majority of the time, reading physical books helps me relax my eyes.

Physical.

I recently had to go through 4 pdf books because I wanted to be stingy on kickstarter rewards. It slowed down my reading speed, and also I instantly considered going for another set of 2 when I finished, which I consider an unhealthy attitude. 

Prefer physical as well. Even on a E book I find it a bit hard to focus solely on reading. Considering nowadays I'm sitting on a laptop for 90% for both work and free-time, a book in your hand can balance it out a bit.

On the other hand if certain books/texts aren't printed anymore, not available in english or are offered for free by the university, I will obviously use an E-book. But that's more out of necessity.

I prefer physical books, I have a ton of them, I haven't read a single e-book in my life, despite the Internet being widespread. There is no way I can do my future job as a preacher with a digital Bible, I am in fact going to use a physical Bible

Like most everyone has said so far, physical copies are the way to go. What's great about physical copies in general is that you can return them after you're done with them. However, Ronnie brings up a good point with free pdfs, so if you're in the market for college textbooks, you can go that route I suppose.