Once a Lurker, Now a Member: Courtney has joined the party!

MoonRose

Hello! Thank you for stopping by. It really means a great deal to me, as I have been unsuccessful in sharing these thoughts anywhere else. I hope I can connect with at least one person through this post. I've been reading different topics on Fates here and fell in love with the community.

My name's Courtney. I purchased Conquest back in January and was gifted Birthright yesterday, so as of yesterday, I am a very proud owner of two out of three Fates games.

In reading reviews on Fire Emblem Fates, I've encountered an overwhelming amount of reviews saying that the stories are not only mediocre-they're the worst stories of the Fire Emblem series. I've played one of Ike's Gamecube games once upon a time, and watched an Awakening playthrough, so it's not like I've got an extensive bank of knowledge on the games, but Conquest has proven to be an emotional roller coaster ride for me. It's been a gripping, action packed adventure for me (save for Corrin's idiocy, especially when it comes to King Garon), and with a copy of Birthright on the way, I felt a burning need to defend the journey I'm on. Besides, for a huge portion of the Final Fantasy fandom, anything after Final Fantasy 7 is trash-and I adore Final Fantasy XV. So other than the glaring problems with Corrin, and Male Corrin only being able to romance one guy (except in my imagination), I disagree with the hordes of players that flat out say the Fates saga is unbearable. There are a handful of story problems, Corrin being most of them, but it's the greatest journey I've been on in years.

As for my problems with Corrin, I will say that he's/she's inexplicably, horrendously moronic when it comes to King Garon. I won't get any deeper into Conquest's storyline than that. One of the very few sensible reviewers explained Corrin's behavior as the result of him/her being sheltered, and I'm only on Chapter 18 in Conquest, so there's still time for me to fall in love with him/her. Not only that, but I love how sensitive Male Corrin is and don't mind him being doted over, as there are plenty of female characters in many fandoms that are lovingly cared for by the entire cast.

Not only am I writing to defend the Fates adventures, but I'm also writing in the hopes of meeting one person that headcanons their Male Corrin being gay-especially for someone that's not Niles. Not that there's anything wrong with Niles-it's just that I headcanon my M!Corrin being in love with Arthur and Xander. Arthur's as adorable as a puppy (voice actor included), and reading Xander's backstory (plus the truth about Corrin's heritage) had me fall in love with Xander. A failed Conquest playthrough (pretty much everyone but Arthur died) had my first Corrin with a bitter crush on Takumi. Not being able to find a lot of BL fanfiction on Fates contributed to me reaching out here.

My Birthright Corrin (named Everona) will be shipped with Takumi or Yukimura. My Conquest Corrin's name is Arielle.

Whether you're playing as F!Corrin or M!Corrin in Conquest, perhaps you could tell me why Arthur or Xander would make the perfect match for Male Corrin. Why they wouldn't. You're more than welcome to tell me why NEITHER of them work and why another guy would be much better. Even if its Niles. If you're playing Birthright, give me the skinny on which BR guy. :)

Either that, or you could tell me why you love Conquest or any other Fates entry.

I just need someone to share all of these Fates feelings with.

Edited by MoonRose
New title

Welcome to the forrest! 
Fates is together with Genealogy of the Holy War my favourite Fire Emblem. The story wasn't convincing for me, but the gameplay and Caeldori.
My favourite weapon was added the Shuriken, I love this weapon for  lowing the values of enemy, especialy in Lunatic. Another advantage I like is that they have more style than daggers.
Caeldori was since Sigurd the most sympathic character in my opinion, I like how she is trying to reach the skill of her father, deep inside she knows that perfection is a illusion, but she is hardworling to become nearly perfect. All of her support conversations are very good too, she is kindful and sometimes strict to defend the rules of the army. She was the reason why I was playing Awakening, which was the first FE what I skipped.
Fates was all in all a really good Fire Emblem.

Edited by Morswo

23 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Welcome to the forest, MoonRose. I too was in a similar boat you were in, of a fan that lurked on the forums for a while before creating a account. I hope to see your thoughts on the series soon.

Thank you Jingle Jangle. :) Thank you everyone! This is already been a great honor. I love the Fates saga (except Corrin in most parts) and can't wait to share more.

Wait, you had physical copies of both Conquest and Birthright? Because it's possible to download the other for a reduced price, as well as Revelation. As for the games themselves, I don't think Fates' story is nearly as bad as everyone and their grandma tries to make it out to be - Sacred Stones and Sword of Seals are worse in that department IMHO.

Anyway, welcome to Airport 1001. Be sure to wake that slugabed up.

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Wait, you had physical copies of both Conquest and Birthright? Because it's possible to download the other for a reduced price, as well as Revelation. As for the games themselves, I don't think Fates' story is nearly as bad as everyone and their grandma tries to make it out to be - Sacred Stones and Sword of Seals are worse in that department IMHO.

Anyway, welcome to Airport 1001. Be sure to wake that slugabed up.

I bought the physical copy of Conquest several weeks ago. :) Noting how much I fell in love with it (even cried about it at work), a family member secretly bought me a physical Birthright. I knew you could download other routes at reduced prices but had NO idea my family member bought BR for me.

It's okay thought. She found it on sale for $19.99 and I love the box art anyways. :)

While the stories do have gaping flaws, most of my problems being with Conquest Corrin right now (omg father ur evil?! like WHOA), I love them both very much. And what game DOESN'T come with story flaws?

Thank you very much!

Welcome! Have you seen YouTuber Ghast's Support Science videos? He provides very interesting looks into Azura, Camilla, and Xander, as well as explaining why Peri needs to be erased from humanity's memory. There's some spoilers, so I recommend beating both games before watching them. He also has videos about Cordelia and Tharja for Awakening, as well as Nino and Eliwood from Blazing Sword(the first one on the GBA). It's all quite interesting. Anyways, welcome again, looking forward to seeing you around the Forums!

Lots of us have had similar experiences to you in regards to receiving backlash for liking the games we do.  I know I had it rough on the net after first playing Awakening and constantly witnessing all the hate and belittling other fans of the game had received.  The thing I've ultimately learned is something I've already known for a long time; no game is without flaws, and perfection is an imaginary goal.  It's all about what you see in the games that others don't.

I have had my own issues with Fates' story, but I like the story and improved mechanics much more than I dislike any of the story.  I, too, very much like Arthur and Takumi, and obviously the latter's fashionable retainer is one of my favorites.

One thing I'll say is you might find the Gay Fates hack interesting.  Even if you can't get it installed, you can at least peruse the supports on the channel UnassumingVenusaur links there.  It's a big hack that adds lots of support options, especially for the likes of characters like Flora and including lots of gay S-supports.  Don't think there's a Xander x Arthur support yet, but I'm confident that almost every same gender option is available for both genders of Corrin.

52 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Lots of us have had similar experiences to you in regards to receiving backlash for liking the games we do.  I know I had it rough on the net after first playing Awakening and constantly witnessing all the hate and belittling other fans of the game had received.  The thing I've ultimately learned is something I've already known for a long time; no game is without flaws, and perfection is an imaginary goal.  It's all about what you see in the games that others don't.

I have had my own issues with Fates' story, but I like the story and improved mechanics much more than I dislike any of the story.  I, too, very much like Arthur and Takumi, and obviously the latter's fashionable retainer is one of my favorites.

One thing I'll say is you might find the Gay Fates hack interesting.  Even if you can't get it installed, you can at least peruse the supports on the channel UnassumingVenusaur links there.  It's a big hack that adds lots of support options, especially for the likes of characters like Flora and including lots of gay S-supports.  Don't think there's a Xander x Arthur support yet, but I'm confident that almost every same gender option is available for both genders of Corrin.

After finding myself upset over the overwhelmingly bad reviews for Fates, I looked up Awakening's reviews. They weren't any better, almost everyone bashing the story and characters into oblivion. In watching playthroughs and support conversations for Awakening, I realized I wasn't a fan of a few characters but I didn't hate the game like so many others. With so many gamers caring more about gameplay than storyline anyway, I found it was pointless to be hurt and offended by so many poor remarks towards Fates and Awakening.

Conquest Corrin grates my nerves like cheese. I don't know how you can think Garon is even remotely like a father AFTER HE FLAT OUT SAYS HE WANTS TO KILL YOU. RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. In addition to everything else going on. I get being in an abusive relationship, but the siblings are more logical than Corrin, backing their loyalty up with arguments. I know Corrin was sheltered but REALLY?

Putting aside my fifty page essay on why Conquest Corrin annoys me, I will say that I do feel tremendously horrible for him at times, recently when he tells characters things like 'omg I made the wrong choice and it's hurting you, I'm so sorry'. A lot of the writing IS strong, some of it even belonging to Corrin.

Arthur is my child. I read something unbearably horrid can happen to him in BR and I'm not going to let it. No. I wish he could be a BR recruit too. I can kind of understand why Takumi gets a lot of flack for filling the 'emo anime character trope', but in reading his backstory, I see why he is the way he is. And he DOES smile. SO THERE, TAKUMI HATERS. He's angry and hurt and insecure and probably very lonely.

Funny you mention the gay hack. While I have no idea how to download it, and would be too afraid of my DS blowing up if I tried to, I have seem almost every gay Corrin hack-the one with Arthur included. :) I love them dearly-EXCEPT the one with Odin. I read it was a copy and paste of the F!Corrin support and bob howdy, it was terrible. 

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Welcome! Have you seen YouTuber Ghast's Support Science videos? He provides very interesting looks into Azura, Camilla, and Xander, as well as explaining why Peri needs to be erased from humanity's memory. There's some spoilers, so I recommend beating both games before watching them. He also has videos about Cordelia and Tharja for Awakening, as well as Nino and Eliwood from Blazing Sword(the first one on the GBA). It's all quite interesting. Anyways, welcome again, looking forward to seeing you around the Forums!

Thank you very much for your welcome! :) I've been having a wonderful time thus far.

Not sold on Azura yet (she feels cookie cutter to me), but I love watching such videos and will do so soon. Especially the ones about Xander, whom I also adore and want to protect in BR.

42 minutes ago, John Denver Fan said:

Yeah I heard of the backlash about Fates. They said the story was terrible, they said that they put quantity over quality which is false. It is a good game. Anyways welcome!

Thank you very much! I'm very happy to be here! :)

You are very welcome . I am happy to be here to I was from the now defunct Nintendo forum Miiverse it shut down in November of last year and a little over a month of the shutdown on the 7th if I recall correctly. I'll tell you how to put colours into your posts when you post select the thing with the underlined A and you can choose your prefered colour. 

6 hours ago, MoonRose said:

I read something unbearably horrid can happen to him in BR and I'm not going to let it. No.

…If the unbearably horrid thing is what I think it is - the unspeakable event that occurs in the Chapter you fight Xander in - then…I'm sorry…but you can't stop it…and it's gonna hurt. A LOT. And what happens immediately after will probably make you shout WTF Xander. And very possibly change your opinion of protecting him in BR. Because I kicked his sorry rear around after that happened. And still avoid replaying Birthright so I don't have to see that again.
But hey, if that's not what they were talking about, then you can probably prevent whatever it is! Just thought I'd warn you in case it is so you can prepare the casket for your feels and get the funeral service properly set up in advance.
Also, as I mentioned, probably at least avoid Xander's Support Science videos until you beat both games as they're focused on the fact that Story Xander and Support Xander are like two completely different people, while Azura's is just him listing his top five favorite Support chains for her(though he clearly never read the Japanese version of his number one pick) and Camilla's is basically him stating she's mentally damaged and trying to provide evidence in favor of the argument.

Welcome to the Forest, MoonRose!

Well, that's wasn't really a classic introduction but that was a fine read.

14 hours ago, MoonRose said:

Either that, or you could tell me why you love Conquest or any other Fates entry.

The gameplay. The Personal Skills, the new weapons/skills/classes/reclass system/ dual system. It felt refreshing and I really enjoyed that.

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

20 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

This. If you like Corrin and his backstory, I invite you to look up Nino and her story, as she is very similar to Corrin, but is more believable given how she handles he circumstance, that may give you ideas for a head-cannon with Corrin being a stronger protagonist. Also Xander is a strong candidate in my mind, and while I'll honestly say I never pictured Corrin being Gay, I think Xanders supports with Corrin still work nicely, and the video mentioned above goes into depth of the support between the two.

Also Welcome!

Edited by JimmyBeans
Forgot to say welcome :^)

7 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

This. If you like Corrin and his backstory, I invite you to look up Nino and her story, as she is very similar to Corrin, but is more believable given how she handles he circumstance, that may give you ideas for a head-cannon with Corrin being a stronger protagonist. Also Xander is a strong candidate in my mind, and while I'll honestly say I never pictured Corrin being Gay, I think Xanders supports with Corrin still work nicely, and the video mentioned above goes into depth of the support between the two.

Also Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome! :) Also for the kind feedback on gay male Corrin. It's very much appreciated!

I headcanon Fates to death, and have written a version of Corrin that doesn't get on my nerves, so I'll gladly look into Nino's story.