Should story-based promotions come back?

Fryer

19 hours ago, Slumber said:

I feel like Awakening intended on doing this, but at some point the developers said "Fuck it" and let Chrom promote using normal methods. I say this because Chrom can be running around with the completed Shield of Seals in his promoted state well before that happens in the story. 

Hm? I don't recall seeing the Gemstones on the 3D model ever, just the Fire Emblem unadorned.

I'm fine with story promotions, just time them right. Or give the MC an increased level cap before promotion compared to everyone else, and make said cap not reset but only expand on promotion. Or, do the Gaiden thing and raise promotion stats to minimum bases.

Skills, magic items, weapons, they work too as a stand in for story promotion.

Either adjust the level caps accordingly for the pacing like 30/10, or detach promotion altogether from levels and only provide the base boosts.

Edited by henrymidfields

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hm? I don't recall seeing the Gemstones on the 3D model ever, just the Fire Emblem unadorned.

I might be wrong, but I'm 99% certain his model has the complete Shield of Seals. I remember thinking this way back when I was binging Awakening and replaying it over and over again, thinking how odd it was, but I might be recalling things a little wrong.

I'm not sure. There are certainly benefits to it; mostly thematic. But there are also drawbacks. I think everyone before me has listed every single benefit and drawback that I can think of.

There are moments in Fire Emblem that do have a similar thematic effect. Marth receiving the Fire Emblem and the Yato upgrades are decent examples. Though, for most of the Yato upgrades, I kept thinking, "He's been fighting alongside Corrin for quite a few chapters now! Why is it that it's only upgraded now?" So, these moments can sometimes have a similar drawback of needing to happen at the right time. Also, in moments like these, the item is the power. For story-driven promotions, it is either a literal promotion (as in Ike's case in Path of Radiance), or the person receiving or unlocking more power that directly powers them up (like Ike and Sothe in Radiant Dawn), so there is a difference in the particular effect, even thematically.

So, ultimately, I guess I'm on the side of, "If it fits the story, and if it's done well." 

There is one notable example in FE of not having a story-based promotion having its own problem (Lucia in Radiant Dawn), although that one is a minor problem, and requires getting her to class change in the one chapter she's in before Ludveck captures her.

Nah, i never liked story-based promotions. They felt too restrictive and we all know Roy got the worst part of it.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I might be wrong, but I'm 99% certain his model has the complete Shield of Seals. I remember thinking this way back when I was binging Awakening and replaying it over and over again, thinking how odd it was, but I might be recalling things a little wrong.

You can promote Chrom but the Shield of Seals won't be on his model until Ch.7. It's also gone between Ch.21 and Ch.23 when Validar stole it.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You can promote Chrom but the Shield of Seals won't be on his model until Ch.7. It's also gone between Ch.21 and Ch.23 when Validar stole it.

Alright, then the developers didn't intend on it being a story based thing like I thought.

If it allows them to promote without an item then yes. Otherwise no since my Ike in PoR was level 20 by the time of chapter 11. I even made sure that he would't hog all the kills and yet he reached 20 pretty fast.

I like FE8's system the most, I think. 

There could also be a special gaiden Chapter in the game whose unlocking requirement is "(Lord) has reached an internal level of 15 or higher," and that holds the sole purpose of giving them their unique promotional item, but weaving that into the story could prove challenging, depending on the foundations of said story (would the Lord character have the time to go out of their way for this thing or not when it happened, would there be an alternative reason for being at the given location and then they just happen to stumble upon the Private Palace of Protagonist Power-Ups, etc.).

I'm fine if we never see story-based promotions ever again. I never miss them in games that don't have them. If you *must* weave a character's class-growth into the story, go the "you're now ready/worthy to possess this holy promotion item" route and let the player decide when and how to use it.

I like it from a story perspective, but from a gameplay perspective it can be frustrating because usually it's too late so the lord falls far behind your other units. If it happens too early, getting to level 20 can be a problem.

A good compromise would be to promote whenever, but after you do so, a cut-scene occurs where everyone is like "Wow, my lord, looking spiffy in that new armor! Let's S Support!"

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that a good compromise would be to give them a static buff that isn't linked to there class so that you could give them a Stat buff and horse but keep them technically as the same class that can promote at any time.