Jump to content
Dragoncat

Games that need a remaster/remake?

Recommended Posts

Man all this talk about Xenosaga has me hoping something happens with it. Whether it being a 4th game or a remastered/port. Something I remember reading a while ago though, Bandai Namco sold its shares of Monolith Soft to Nintendo a few years back (after Nintendo had claimed most of Monolith), now I don't know if that means Nintendo just has more access to the studio and the IP (Xenosaga in this point) or it it's just the studio and the IPs are still with Bandai Namco. Sources: Record pages of 2010 and 2011 showing shares have changed hands (In japanese so translate or knowledge will be useful). Either way I hope something is possible they bring back Xenosaga so it can be more easily experienced.

2010: https://web.archive.org/web/20110927000419/http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/company/plofile.html

2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20120102211549/http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/company/profile.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blizzard games, specifically Warcraft III and Diablo II. Luckily for me, Blizzard have shown interest in doing remasters of these games after they released a Starcraft remaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey you know what? I know everyone wants remakes of the Japan-only FEs (i do too) but it'd be great if we got a TearRing and Berwick Saga remake. Especially the latter since i've heard almost nothing about it and it's super inaccessible right now. Also, if they aren't gonna make a new Golden Sun or F-Zero, at least remake the games. If Metorid can do it, so can they.

28 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Though from looking at Wikipedia, 2(Including Takahashi) of the writers are consistent from XC1 to XC2, so it might just be "Oh, they were in entirely different moods when they wrote each game" type of deal.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. Takahashi said that he wanted to try his hand at a more light-hearted, coming-of-age story. Xenoblade 2's story wasn't as good as Xenoblade 1's or Gears but it was less about it being not as good and more of just the fact that Xenoblade 1 and Gears set a really high bar that few games are able to overcome. Xenoblade 2's story is still worthy of the Xeno name though and it contains the religious references that Takahashi loves to put in his games.

16 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Man all this talk about Xenosaga has me hoping something happens with it. Whether it being a 4th game or a remastered/port. Something I remember reading a while ago though, Bandai Namco sold its shares of Monolith Soft to Nintendo a few years back (after Nintendo had claimed most of Monolith), now I don't know if that means Nintendo just has more access to the studio and the IP (Xenosaga in this point) or it it's just the studio and the IPs are still with Bandai Namco.

Xenosaga is still owned by Namco, despite Nintendo owning Monolith Soft. I don't think we'd ever get a fourth Xenosaga game though Takahashi did say he was open to the idea if he ever got the opportunity and he said that last year, (that interview is in French btw, so use Google Translate).

I do think between Gears and Saga, the latter has a more likely chance of a remake. Actually, that's a lie, because there's that Xenogears 20th anniversary concert coming up and every time i see it pop up in my Twitter feed, my mind automatically assumes that it's the announcement of a remake and it hypes me up for a split-second. Maybe it leads into nothing but i find it weird that Square is holding a concert for a game that haven't done anything with for the past 20 years, apart from having Xenogears (as in the mech, not the game) appear as a boss in World of Final Fantasy. So between KOS-MOS being in Xenoblade 2 (and that tweet i mentioned earlier) and Square holding a concert for Xenogears, i can't help but feel that both of them are up to something (and it's likely that it's nothing and i'm only setting myself up for disappointment.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 豊聡耳 神子 said:

The Judgral games

this, so much.

 

Also, um,  Live a Live is a game that I wish had gotten a remake...then again, its a pretty obscure RPG.

Der Langrisser, or just the Langrisser series in general.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Also very great music.

Agreeing here. I loves me some Trombe!. Yuuki's battle theme is great as well, I just wish the entire piece was like the opening instead of going to into typical SRW electric guitar. Ouka Genei/Cherry Blossom Phantasm, Steel Beowulf, and A Sword to Smite Evil are amazing. Plus Haken's All Correct!; although I did watch the Haken Gespenst's attacks (but only that- nobody else from post OG2), and while throwing Aschen into the ultimate is interesting, I wish they had just replicated Last Showdown.

If I pick up a PS4 towards the end of its lifespan for cheap, I'm importing The Moon Dwellers. Why'd they stop giving us Original Generations after OG2? I would have bought EF Exceed, OG Gaiden, and Dai-2-ji. Sure the plots are soap operas, everyone is so form of cliche, and the flashiness get a little boring after a while, but played in bursts, the games are quite fun. 

 

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah same. I liked Disc 2 since the story was still fantastic but a remake should definitely polish it and add more gameplay to it.

 

You already completed it? I must be glacial in my pace with game completion then I should spend less time here on SF. Anything you particularly liked? Disliked?

 

11 hours ago, Slumber said:

Xenogears had a notoriously rushed production so that the team's resources could be put towards Final Fantasy 8 and 9(Same thing happened with this team with Chrono Cross, which is part of why the Xeno/Chrono team left Square to go form Monolith).

I thought that was all a myth and it was just a lack of experience on the team's part with developing games?

And since you bring it up, I think Chrono Cross would be worthy of a massive overhaul. Slash the roster size to 2 per color with a few exceptions (Lynx and Harle, Pip, and Sprigg for instance), don't plot dump at the end, make Guile into Magus, make the characters just less flat because as is if you don't like Kid, no character gets any development or has any real substance to them (although in truth- CT has no character development either, only charm). Then again, given how much surgery this game would need, would anything of substance of original CC really be left? I exaggerate, but there is little doubt it would need extensive work, more than Xenogears since the gameplay is okay as is and Disc 1 is nearly perfect- you only have half if that of a game to overhaul.

 

 

On the FE front, at what rate can we assume IS can and will churn out remakes? One every other game, or one every second game? So FE Switch-Remake-FE Switch 2? Or FES-FES2-Remake-next system FE-next system FE 2?

I'd prefer every two games, every other seems too unoriginal and we'd run out of remakes fairly fast. Maybe they can do the Jugdrali remakes together though, without anything in between. I think my ideal, reasonable spreading out would be: FE16 is FES, FE17 is FES2, FE18 and 19 grab the tail end of the Switch's life and tackle Jugdral then. Then we're doing FE20, FE21, Binding Blade is FE22, FE23, FE24 is Blazing (the one new game is allowed in between because the Elibe games aren't as closely related as the Jugdral ones), FE25, FE26, FE27 is Sacred Stones, FE28, FE29, FE30 is Path of Radiance Reborn and FE31 is Radiant Dawn Returned (because they're closely linked and because we'd be fine with a VC ports in the long duration before this happens).

Now can anyone put release years to that mess of FEs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Agreeing here. I loves me some Trombe!. Yuuki's battle theme is great as well, I just wish the entire piece was like the opening instead of going to into typical SRW electric guitar. Ouka Genei/Cherry Blossom Phantasm, Steel Beowulf, and A Sword to Smite Evil are amazing. Plus Haken's All Correct!; although I did watch the Haken Gespenst's attacks (but only that- nobody else from post OG2), and while throwing Aschen into the ultimate is interesting, I wish they had just replicated Last Showdown.

So the themes I honestly enjoy a lot are Silver Fallen Angel (Excellen's theme), Ash to Ash (Lamia and Aschens theme and nearly every version I like), All Correct (Haken), Fairy Dan-cing/ Fairy Rom Antic (I don't know who's theme this is in the original games I just know Niege has a remade version of it in Exceed), So Close Yet So Far Away, Dark Knight (I believe to be Axels theme), and of course Infinity at the Area Where it Exceeds. I guess Kaguya's theme too but preferably the Exceed version. I'm considering getting Moon Dwellers as well eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You already completed it? I must be glacial in my pace with game completion then I should spend less time here on SF. Anything you particularly liked? Disliked?

 

Yeah, finished it yesterday. I definitely liked the story. Easily on par with Xenoblade 1's story, or even better. Still trying to decide where i would rank it. On-foot combat was pretty great and so were the characters (even if most of them suffer massive relevancy loss after their character arcs). What i didn't like though was how you couldn't heal Gears mid-battle unless you had HP Frames equipped (or Chu-Chu but i never used her because i just couldn't take her seriously). Also, i had to look up a walkthrough quite a few times because the game was terrible with it's sense of direction. Especially dungeons. When i found items and stuff in dungeons, it wasn't because i was exploring it, it was because i felt lost and just happened to stumble across them. But that could easily be chalked up to the fact that the game hasn't aged well; it probably wasn't as big of a deal back then as it would be now. A remake could easily fix my few gripes with the gameplay. None of that stopped me from enjoying the game though. Absolutely fantastic game, a JRPG masterpiece. I'm writing a review that has my thoughts more detailed. Should hopefully go up today (on both the general gaming section here and the Xenoblade subreddit, since they allow Gears and Saga posts there).

Also, Elly is best girl and Bart is best boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought that was all a myth and it was just a lack of experience on the team's part with developing games?

As far as I know, it was not a myth. It might be exaggerated, but a lot of the Gears/Chrono team is listed in the FF8 and 9 credits, meaning that there were quite a few people pulled from the projects to make sure those games were completed on time.

Plus, the team that made Xenogears and Chrono Cross was the team that mostly handled Chrono Trigger and various other smaller Square titles that weren't Final Fantasy. The team was more or less Square's B team(A- team might be more appropriate, given that they were up for consideration when developing FF7. Xenogears was a rejected FF7 concept. The project ended up back in the hands of Sakaguchi's main team that handled FF up until partway through X's development). Definitely not rookies or amateurs. But since Final Fantasy was Square's big bread winner, when it came to crunch time, other teams would get reshuffled to put more resources into Final Fantasy. It might have been that the Xenogears team mismanaged time and missed the deadline by a bit, but they missed the mark by so much that I don't really don't think it could be simply explained as "Oh, they didn't know what they were getting into".

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And since you bring it up, I think Chrono Cross would be worthy of a massive overhaul. Slash the roster size to 2 per color with a few exceptions (Lynx and Harle, Pip, and Sprigg for instance), don't plot dump at the end, make Guile into Magus, make the characters just less flat because as is if you don't like Kid, no character gets any development or has any real substance to them (although in truth- CT has no character development either, only charm). Then again, given how much surgery this game would need, would anything of substance of original CC really be left? I exaggerate, but there is little doubt it would need extensive work, more than Xenogears since the gameplay is okay as is and Disc 1 is nearly perfect- you only have half if that of a game to overhaul.

Xenogears had all these concepts down for the second disc, they just didn't have the time to develop it, and had they managed to make the half a dozen important plot threads that end up being infodumps, I don't think people would be hounding for a remake nearly as much.

Cross needs something a bit more integral to the core of the game added for a remake. I love Cross as is, but while I feel like the backbone of the game is solid and there are plenty of well realized ideas in it, it feels like its body is missing a limb.

I'm not quite as desperate for a remake of Cross for this reason. As nice as it would be to get that extra thing that it needs, I'm not quite sure what that thing really is beyond "Oh, develop the characters". It's not like with Xenogears where you see this fully realized concept that had to cut corners to come to an end, and the logical additions to a remake are a no brainer. Cross is a bit trickier to really figure out what exactly is needed to make a worthwhile remake.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Azz said:

FF5. It's honestly a really underrated FF game that IMO, could do well with 3D graphics and voice acting. Right now it's available on IOS/Android, but I hate mobile games. Give me Butz on the PS4 you monsters! FF6 could also do with a 3D remake since like FF5, its most current version is IOS/Android sadly.

 

I agree.

FF6 also needs a remake actually. The last one was on the late GBA years, so I wasn't even able to get it.

 

All the Wild ARMS games needs a remake.

All the Grandia games as well. Grandia 2 has a PC port, but the others don't have anything at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

(even if most of them suffer massive relevancy loss after their character arcs)

Yeah this is totally true. Maria had two seconds, Billy a little more, Chuchu had nothing, Bart lasted a while, but suffers a major drop towards the end, Rico has his tragically unfinished Kaiser Sigismund subplot, Emeralda quits being relevant once she joins outside of that wonderful Lighthouse scene, and even Citan loses relevancy at the end. Only Fei, followed by a significant gulf Elly, are relevant from the beginning to end.

I don't think XB1 is perfect in this regard either, Sharla loses significance after the Ether Mines, and they had to invent the boss of Mechonis Field to keep her relevant, while putting Reyn in a relationship with her to keep him relevant. Riki, like Chuchu, has pretty much no significance, but he is done better than her for sure. So in the end, only Shulk, Seven (there is no point in me using this anymore, but I will), Melia, and Dunban, are continuously very relevant to the end.

Although is this at all unique with Xeno-? Nope, most playable characters in most games exist to add more playables, not to be so plot relevant, and there is only so much spotlight to share in. 

To use Final Fantasy, Barret, like Bart in Gears, is there for early relevancy, but fades later in the game in the bigger picture. Cloud is no. 1, Tifa exists for him. Red XIII is nobody after Cosmo Canyon, Cait Sith is more relevant than you would think, about Barret's I would say. Aerith is relevant to the end even after her date with Sephiroth. Vincent and Yuffie are totally optional. FF8- Squall, Rinoa, Laguna, that is all that exists, Zell, Irvine, and Quistis I like (Selphie just doesn't fit in), but they're neglected.

To discuss Tales, Tales of Abyss does do well to make everyone of the playable 6-7 fairly relevant and I like that. Symphonia- you could easily get rid of Regal and Presea from the 8-9 roster and not much would truly change, their character arcs exist mostly for themselves and not the greater plot. The rest I think are fairly relevant though. Of a cast of 6-7, Asbel, Sophie and Richard all matter, maybe Hubert too. Malik, Pascal and Cheria are all really unnecessary in the scheme of it.  

Back to Xeno you ever overhear the Dickson-Khan Wong parallels?

Spoiler

KhanImage result for xenoblade dickson artwork

Notice the headwear? One is the father and the other is a father figure to the main character in their respective games. 

 

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Also, Elly is best girl and Bart is best boy.

I like Bart, minus the cousin marriage thing. And if we were to get a XG remake, he needs new clothes- they're so dated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah this is totally true. Maria had two seconds, Billy a little more, Chuchu had nothing, Bart lasted a while, but suffers a major drop towards the end, Rico has his tragically unfinished Kaiser Sigismund subplot, Emeralda quits being relevant once she joins outside of that wonderful Lighthouse scene, and even Citan loses relevancy at the end. Only Fei, followed by a significant gulf Elly, are relevant from the beginning to end.

I don't think XB1 is perfect in this regard either, Sharla loses significance after the Ether Mines, and they had to invent the boss of Mechonis Field to keep her relevant, while putting Reyn in a relationship with her to keep him relevant. Riki, like Chuchu, has pretty much no significance, but he is done better than her for sure. So in the end, only Shulk, Seven (there is no point in me using this anymore, but I will), Melia, and Dunban, are continuously very relevant to the end.

Although is this at all unique with Xeno-? Nope, most playable characters in most games exist to add more playables, not to be so plot relevant, and there is only so much spotlight to share in. 

To use Final Fantasy, Barret, like Bart in Gears, is there for early relevancy, but fades later in the game in the bigger picture. Cloud is no. 1, Tifa exists for him. Red XIII is nobody after Cosmo Canyon, Cait Sith is more relevant than you would think, about Barret's I would say. Aerith is relevant to the end even after her date with Sephiroth. Vincent and Yuffie are totally optional. FF8- Squall, Rinoa, Laguna, that is all that exists, Zell, Irvine, and Quistis I like (Selphie just doesn't fit in), but they're neglected.

To discuss Tales, Tales of Abyss does do well to make everyone of the playable 6-7 fairly relevant and I like that. Symphonia- you could easily get rid of Regal and Presea from the 8-9 roster and not much would truly change, their character arcs exist mostly for themselves and not the greater plot. The rest I think are fairly relevant though. Of a cast of 6-7, Asbel, Sophie and Richard all matter, maybe Hubert too. Malik, Pascal and Cheria are all really unnecessary in the scheme of it.  

Back to Xeno you ever overhear the Dickson-Khan Wong parallels?

  Reveal hidden contents

KhanImage result for xenoblade dickson artwork

Notice the headwear? One is the father and the other is a father figure to the main character in their respective games. 

 

I like Bart, minus the cousin marriage thing. And if we were to get a XG remake, he needs new clothes- they're so dated.

Something to note, I feel like Xenoblade 2 did a better job of keeping all the characters relevant, yeah there is less than XB1 but they are kept more relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah this is totally true. Maria had two seconds, Billy a little more, Chuchu had nothing, Bart lasted a while, but suffers a major drop towards the end, Rico has his tragically unfinished Kaiser Sigismund subplot, Emeralda quits being relevant once she joins outside of that wonderful Lighthouse scene, and even Citan loses relevancy at the end. Only Fei, followed by a significant gulf Elly, are relevant from the beginning to end.

I don't think XB1 is perfect in this regard either, Sharla loses significance after the Ether Mines, and they had to invent the boss of Mechonis Field to keep her relevant, while putting Reyn in a relationship with her to keep him relevant. Riki, like Chuchu, has pretty much no significance, but he is done better than her for sure. So in the end, only Shulk, Seven (there is no point in me using this anymore, but I will), Melia, and Dunban, are continuously very relevant to the end.

Although is this at all unique with Xeno-? Nope, most playable characters in most games exist to add more playables, not to be so plot relevant, and there is only so much spotlight to share in. 

To use Final Fantasy, Barret, like Bart in Gears, is there for early relevancy, but fades later in the game in the bigger picture. Cloud is no. 1, Tifa exists for him. Red XIII is nobody after Cosmo Canyon, Cait Sith is more relevant than you would think, about Barret's I would say. Aerith is relevant to the end even after her date with Sephiroth. Vincent and Yuffie are totally optional. FF8- Squall, Rinoa, Laguna, that is all that exists, Zell, Irvine, and Quistis I like (Selphie just doesn't fit in), but they're neglected.

To discuss Tales, Tales of Abyss does do well to make everyone of the playable 6-7 fairly relevant and I like that. Symphonia- you could easily get rid of Regal and Presea from the 8-9 roster and not much would truly change, their character arcs exist mostly for themselves and not the greater plot. The rest I think are fairly relevant though. Of a cast of 6-7, Asbel, Sophie and Richard all matter, maybe Hubert too. Malik, Pascal and Cheria are all really unnecessary in the scheme of it.  

Back to Xeno you ever overhear the Dickson-Khan Wong parallels?

  Reveal hidden contents

KhanImage result for xenoblade dickson artwork

Notice the headwear? One is the father and the other is a father figure to the main character in their respective games. 

 

I like Bart, minus the cousin marriage thing. And if we were to get a XG remake, he needs new clothes- they're so dated.

It's the curse of being there being main characters.

Spoiler

I wouldn't really say Citan loses relevancy at an illogical point or anything. He's pretty relevant from the start of the game ALL the way up until about midway through the second disc. Roughly about when he picks up the sword once more. As nice as it would be for him to be relevant for the other few hours of the game, he's ultimately not one of the main characters, so him being there with Fei and Elly, who have literally been reincarnated for 10,000 years, finally closing their story with Miang, isn't really realistic.

Same deal with Bart. He loses relevance about when he gets his Omnigear, which, while pretty early in disc 2, still is a lot of time for him to be a pretty prominent and relevant character in the story. Rico and Billy are far more contained to their story arcs. Which are fairly long story arcs, but they never maintain their presence like Bart or Citan. Oddly enough, the only two vampire monsters you fight are in those two story arcs. Maria and Chuchu have very short arcs that really should get expanded in a hypothetical remake.

Emerelda's weird in that her prominence in the story is pretty much tied to whether or not you do her sidequests. She's not so much a focus in the main game, even though she really should be, effectively being the "daughter" of a past version of Fei and Elly, and she should be more involved in the Miang stuff going on than she is.

Also, you leave Bart's clothing alone. Just make his vest a little longer, and it'd be fine.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Back to Xeno you ever overhear the Dickson-Khan Wong parallels?

I didn't but now that see them side-by-side, it makes so much sense.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think XB1 is perfect in this regard either, Sharla loses significance after the Ether Mines, and they had to invent the boss of Mechonis Field to keep her relevant, while putting Reyn in a relationship with her to keep him relevant. Riki, like Chuchu, has pretty much no significance, but he is done better than her for sure. So in the end, only Shulk, Seven (there is no point in me using this anymore, but I will), Melia, and Dunban, are continuously very relevant to the end.

Pretty much this though i'd argue that Dunban's relevancy somewhat drops after Galahad Fortress.

Xenoblade 2 handles character relevancy the best in the Xeno series. Everyone is relevant. Pandoria and Dromarch have the least relevancy but they still manage to stay relevant simply by being Zeke and Nia's Blades respectively. And Tora destroys Riki and Chu-Chu (and Tatsu but we don't speak of him) when it comes to relevancy and actual motives.

I think X is the Xeno game with the worst issues of character relevancy. You got Elma, you got Lin and uh, that's pretty much it. Maybe don't have 19 playable characters next time. Granted, only 8 are mandatory but still.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I like Bart, minus the cousin marriage thing. And if we were to get a XG remake, he needs new clothes- they're so dated.

I dunno, i think his clothing is fine. Maybe polish a bit (make the vest longer like Slumber suggested) but he doesn't need new clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Pretty much this though i'd argue that Dunban's relevancy somewhat drops after Galahad Fortress.

 

I was actually going to say that, but dropped it on being Dickson's friend grounds. Which are thin, hence my internal debate.

 

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I dunno, i think his clothing is fine. Maybe polish a bit (make the vest longer like Slumber suggested) but he doesn't need new clothes.

I might have been misremembering it, but it isn't so bad upon review, a bit pirate-like but regal which is appropriate for him. Perhaps it was just the era's "polish" or "filter" to the aesthetics in the actual game that made me say that.

To apologize, if you weren't aware, another fun fact about XG is that Soraya Saga, Takahashi's wife who helped work on Xenogears and also Xenosaga I believe, originally with him did work on Final Fantasy VI. He designed the Magitek Armor that you get to ride in the beginning and the Empire continues to use thereafter. She was responsible for writing Edgar Roni Figaro and Sabin Rene Figaro, whose names were later use for Bart's and Margie's ancestors. Figaro and Aveh are both desert kingdoms.

 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

think X is the Xeno game with the worst issues of character relevancy. You got Elma, you got Lin and uh, that's pretty much it. Maybe don't have 19 playable characters next time. Granted, only 8 are mandatory but still.

How are you criticizing Elma, Lin and Tatsu when I thought you hadn't played X yet? Watch an LP or just reiterating what others have said?

I don't disagree with the assessment of Tatsu, I've made my dislike for him noted once or twice before as adding repetitive humor where it doesn't belong before. I'm just asking how are you making such a judgement call if you haven't played it.

As for Elma and Lin... (No actual spoilers, I'm just hiding my opinions in case you don't want to see them)

Spoiler

I like Elma, but I do acknowledge some issues with her and see why others wouldn't like her. I'm less amenable to Lin, besides bring Tatsu with her everywhere, she seems like an unnecessary concession to the cutesy anime loli loving crowd. Margie might have done a little of the same in XG, but Margie doesn't appear in every single bit of the story. Lin as an innocent normal human being to Elma's cold rational soldier attitude is okay, but it isn't always played that way.

I'd have preferred if instead if the story, in addition to being less scattered, had Elma as a constant and a rotating third character- Lin one day, Lao another, Doug the next, maybe Irina, who in serious events offers a solid contrast to Elma, saying something about themselves, Elma, and perhaps the greater plot or even philosophy.

As for another Monolith game, Baten Kaitos: Origins. They reduce the PC cast size from the 6 of Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (an okay group), to just 3: Sagi, Guillo, and Milliarde. Sagi is your standard gentle young man, not really naive (he starts the game joining a bunch of assassins), but gentle still, and fairly likable. Milly starts strong and to the end remains a good female character, her Sagi love is neither obsessive nor overly dependent, which can be the bane of other females in gaming by stealing their independent backbone. Guillo is a favorite of mine, very quirky in design, mannerisms, and I love the looks of his special attacks; one of the best robots in gaming (Emeralda is wonderful in a very different way). All three have great chemistry with each other. 

Back to a discussion of relevancy, while they only had three playable characters to manage, which is a big boon, Monolith and Tri-Crescendo did an amazing job with making everyone very important and well written. They could have screwed up, but they didn't. The trio is one of favorites in gaming.

Just had to let my BK love be known. Come on Switch GC VC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How are you criticizing Elma, Lin and Tatsu when I thought you hadn't played X yet? Watch an LP or just reiterating what others have said?

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm just asking how are you making such a judgement call if you haven't played it.

I mean, i wasn't really trying to criticize Elma and Lin. I know their role in the story but i don't 100% know their characters since i haven't dived into any Affinity Missions or Heart-to-Hearts. Tatsu, on the other hand, i've heard only bad things.

But yeah, i haven't played X but i've read up on it's story and listend to it's music, so those things, i can judge. Gameplay though, i can't because Xenoblade gameplay can't be judged just by watching it or word-of-mouth. It's something you have to play for yourself. That said, i don't need to play X to know it has the best exploration out of the three Xenoblade games (and the Xeno series in general, but Gears and Saga weren't really about exploration anyway). Really need that Switch port.

 

Also, regarding Baiten Kaitos, i've been meaning to play those games. As long as the file size isn't over 4 GB, i could hopefully emulate them. Having them on VC would be great though i suppose i can go ahead and add the Baiten Kaitos games to "list of games that need remakes/remasters".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, i wasn't really trying to criticize Elma and Lin. I know their role in the story but i don't 100% know their characters since i haven't dived into any Affinity Missions or Heart-to-Hearts. Tatsu, on the other hand, i've heard only bad things.

But yeah, i haven't played X but i've read up on it's story and listend to it's music, so those things, i can judge. Gameplay though, i can't because Xenoblade gameplay can't be judged just by watching it or word-of-mouth. It's something you have to play for yourself. That said, i don't need to play X to know it has the best exploration out of the three Xenoblade games (and the Xeno series in general, but Gears and Saga weren't really about exploration anyway). Really need that Switch port.

 

Okay then.

Do you know the intimate details of the massive ending cliffhanger? 

My comments on said cliffhanger, spoilers included:

Spoiler

Every time I replay the scene in my head, I get a little disturbed and shiver. 

Not knowing how everyone is still alive when they should have died before the game even began is tearing at me. 

Give me X2 and just tell me where everyone's souls, memories and minds are Monolith!

Now take my feelings, and apply them to NLA. Chaos would unfold if the truth got out. Which for X2, I expect Elma and NLA government to realize. What they will do I predict, is initially inventing an excuse as to why nobody can get their real bodies back right away but saying they're working on it. Eventually after weeks, months maybe, cracks in the lie will force the secret out and chaos will unfold in NLA, caused purely by humans in purest panic. But that won't be the only issue, the Ghost aliens I'm expecting will finally appear again after not having done anything since crashing the White Whale onto Mira, and they will be out for blood or whatever it is they want.

 

And oh, the other half the cliffhanger, Lao. Why are you still alive? You living is a case of someone who the game wants you to pity, but you can't actually pity, being spared because they're supposed to be tragic and you were supposed to hope they weren't dead. But you didn't, because you didn't love Lao. Except maybe to look at his booty in his default pants, because from what I remember, they're tight. Which reminds me he's the only other Sniper Rifle user other than Boze, so RIP that.

 

I will agree the soundtrack outside of the five region tracks is generally poor. And I typically don't care for vocals.

 

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also, regarding Baiten Kaitos, i've been meaning to play those games. As long as the file size isn't over 4 GB, i could hopefully emulate them. Having them on VC would be great though i suppose i can go ahead and add the Baiten Kaitos games to "list of games that need remakes/remasters".

While I personally like Origins more, I can't tell you to skip to that. The game gets some of its punch from knowing Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. You can still play Origins and understand it perfectly fine, it's just better to start with EWatLO.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remake FE 4-6, although 7 and 8 would be a nice bonus, and remaster the Tellius games. There, I've gotten the obvious ones out of the way.

Sword of the Samurai

One of my favorite Sid Meier games, and for good reason; They did their research on the time period and on Samurai, to the point that I joke that the best game made about the Japanese was made by the Canadians. The game manages to make a one-man army fight seem grounded and realistic while still being awesome, and it's interesting seeing the values dissonance without it being shoved in my face. It also has some really good pixel art for an early 90's dos game.

Really, though, the reason I want this game remade is that all of the flaws of the original are both minor and easy to fix. Speed up the gameplay of the sword fighting and military battle minigames, and make the distance of sword swings more clear for the former. Make it so being attacked from different angles isn't a certain death when doing the one vs many minigame, and make the stealth segments it's own minigame instead of combining it with the before aforementioned minigame. Also, make it so the low honor samurai don't commit crimes every turn trying to claw their way to the top, as those messages get annoying.

The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire

A case of "an excellent idea that was poorly executed." Seriously, who thought that using Daggerfalls combat system (where you have to swing the mouse, say, right to swing right, or forward to stab, etc.. It's a lot clunkier than it sounds) while the camera was controlled with the mouse was a good idea (try to swing the the right, and you'll miss your enemy by a large margin. Try to stab the enemy, and suddenly you're attacking the air)?

I mostly want the game remade because I love the idea so much: An Elder Scrolls rougelike where there is no money, no shops, and no NPC's. You'll have to scavenge all your gear from your dead enemies and the rare chest, all while traversing through a randomly generated dungeon. The magic system is fairly complex, but not very useful during combat, so having the system keep it's complexity while streamlining the casting process would be neat. The thing that interests me the most, though, is the fact that you can talk to your enemies. You can threaten and scare smaller enemies into fighting for you, you have to resist the temptations of succumbi, and you can try and talk your way out of fighting some monsters (either by boasting of how you've beaten tougher foes than them and survived, provoking them into attacking blindly, or by simply stating that you've already killed their kind before and it's better if they don't waste your time). Put some thought into it, and you can see how many ideas Bethesda can work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much love for Xenogears in this thread, I love it! I should have saved the word-vomit I did in Armagon's Xenogears review for this thread. Oh well.

Xenogears will always be my first or second choice for a remake. The only other title that rivals it is another ps1 JRPG, called Legend of Legaia. The setting was great, the combat system was fun (if time-consuming by the end), and the characters were generally fun and easy to understand. Plus, it was a game that, like BK: Origins, had a playable cast of only three characters, and as a result all three of them got character development and story relevance basically throughout the whole of the game. I really love this game, and the fact that the North American version has a progress-killing bug in emulation kills me on the inside. Once the last playstation dies I may never get to enjoy this game again. The only ting that would need revamping are the incredibly dated graphics. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend playing it, but if you're an English speaker, get the European version. Supposedly it doesn't have the game-breaking bug when you play it on PS3 or emulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see any Langrisser remade.

But I think Langrisser 3 is the most deserving of a remake.

Edited by ProfImpossible
Grammar correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that these are the most needed remakes, a remake F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee HD, and the most unlikely without fan translations that goes back to my time on Miiverse in 2014, a localization of Mother 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is obvious of course Xenogears. Saga was from the ps2 era so it has some stuff, on the other hand gears is ps1 game (one of the best ones though). It has an marvellous dark and complicated story but it also has some flaws that a remake could fix. Some gameplay elements, the platforming and disc 2. Imagine the hypothetical having the gameplay and combat of Xenoblade X.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...