Kingdom Hearts 3 at D23 2018

HK Motendra

Long time no see, my good friend KH. This time with Monster's Inc!

Spoiler

AND THE RETURN OF VANITAS MUAHAHAHAHA

Spoiler

Along with Marluxia

Followed by an additional trailer that features the new theme song

Spoiler

Peep Riku at the end

Lastly, an official release date is to be announced at this year's E3. Stay tuned!

Courtesy of JP IGN, we've a detailed summary (which I'm glad I found midway into attempting to do so myself, for apparently forgetting them in the OP), that was conveniently translated:

1. Monsters Inc. World

In the latest trailer, “Monsters Inc.” was revealed as a new world. Following Toy Story, Monsters Inc. is the 2nd Pixar world that has been introduced into KH3. Taking on appearances similar to those of Mike and Sully, Sora and friends set out on an adventure in the new Monsters Inc world, with plenty of new gimmicks to play around with.

2. Utada Hikaru’s new song “Oath” set as the theme song

Having already compiled songs for both Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II, after 13 years Utada Hikaru returns again for the theme song of KHIII. The name of this one is “Oath”, which can be partly heard in the recent trailers.

3. Transformations of Gummi Ships to the Open World

A staple of the series, the highly customizable Gummi Ships are something you use to fly through space in order to reach brand new worlds. In KH3, they’re back again, with ever more the customizability. Additionally, what used to be linear stages have now been revamped into open world environments with a 360 degree view, where you may freely fly and travel as you see fit. The gameplay seems to have been separated into 2 phases: Battle Phase and Searching Phase. With the updated system and customizations, it’s become a much richer experience.

4. Worlds have become busier

One of the most compelling aspects of the Kingdom Hearts series is how you can travel around to many different Disney worlds. In KH3, effort has been put not only into the action developing on the battle field, but in the actual towns themselves. The presentation showed off the Rapunzel world, which contains a town surrounding the castle. The town contains countless NPCs who come and go, with houses and shops that line up the alleys. Compared to before, KH3 will really make you feel like you’re actually in the respective Disney worlds.

5. The programming for Rapunzel’s hair was extremely tough

Tangled was one of the first worlds announced and worked on but, the reason that there wasn’t much gameplay footage within there was, out of everything, the fact that in order to get Rapunzel’s hair to act in the way it does it took a huge amount of time. Up until now there hasn’t really been a character in a game with as much hair as Rapunzel, and so processing that hair was really tough. For a while, it was just floating there. During the presentation, however, we are shown scenes of Rapunzel walking, where her hair flows in the wind and falls completely naturally as if in real life. She’s also seen to be able to interact with environment using her hair, like wrapping it around a tree etc. which we think will go down in gaming history as the most effort ever put into a game character’s hair.

6. The background modelling was done by the largest team ever at Square Enix

In terms of development, one of the most vital parts were the backgrounds for the fields and towns. From Square Enix alone, the team developing the backgrounds in KH3 involved 80 people, and above that they also outsourced to studios overseas. This is a first in Square Enix, being the biggest team used for developing backgrounds ever. Look forward to seeing incredibly rich environments within KH3.

7. There’s a collaboration with Kingdom Hearts Union Cross

There seems to be some sort of collaboration going on with the Kingdom Heart’s series mobile app, “Kingdom Hearts Union Cross”. From today a collaboration with Final Fantasy Record Keeper has begun, which includes a Gummi Ship mini game within Record Keeper, a Gilgamesh and Kefka raid battle within Union Cross, and characters appearing as avatars in the classic Final Fantasy pixel style. As for collaborations with KH3 there was nothing in particular announced, however developers did talk about how they want to link KH3 and Union Cross in some way.

8. Each world is rich full of content, as if they are their own games

According to the developers, this Kingdom Hearts game is “on a whole different level”. In each and every world they have put the utmost effort, so much so that each world could be considered its own game with the amount of mechanics and gameplay that they have packed in. In the gameplay portion of the trailer, you could see Sora riding rockets, hanging from factory belts, there truly are many diverse elements that you can look forward to experiencing.

9. The appearance of “Giantland” in some form?

In the presentation, some images were showcased of the current development situation, and among those an image with the words “Giantland” was seen. It was quite a basic picture, and not seen within any of the footage shown of the KH3 gameplay, but there must be some intention of incorporating it into the game. “Giantland” is known in Japan as “Mickey’s Giant Conquest” which was released as an animated film in 1993, which was based on the English fairy tale, “Jack and the Beanstalk”. We wonder how this will be used within KH3…

10. Rare Heartless confirmed!

Kingdom Hearts 3 will include Rare Heartless which may only be defeating by using special strategies. Different from regular heartless, you’ll be able to do things like ride on their heads, and each will have designated missions prepared. We think these will become quite the important pieces of additional content to enjoy.

11. The last stage will involve something that Tetsuya Nomura has wanted to implement for a very long time

Tetsuya Nomura said that in KH3, the last stage will include “Something I have always wanted to do, ever since making Final Fantasy”. What was said was very vague, among it also was the input of the developers, who said very interesting things like: “You will be able to do anything” and “It will be compilation of everything up until now”. What they meant will probably remain a mystery until we can play it, but that whole segment really got us wondering…

It's been a year or two since I last played one of these so my recollection of the plot is a bit spotty. And I don't have access to that 0.8 game where you play as Aqua if that answers any questions. So Marluxia is alive? If the explanation for him being here comes from a previous game, then I assume this game will not take the time explaining it. Also, I know who Vanitas is, but how does Sora know?

I'm definitely paying attention to gameplay. Those weird forms like the claws and hammer seem a little unwieldy. If they fail to make an enemy flinch then you'll just eat a hit as Sora spins around. I suppose they are this game's analogue to drive forms in KH2. The magical staff we see briefly in the Tangled world appears to be Wisdom Form as you skate around. And like Drive Forms, there doesn't appear to be much variation in their abilities. Just crazy aggressive damage output. Except these weapon forms are probably better suited to crowd control.

We don't often see Sora take damage in these trailers, so it's hard to judge how vulnerable he is during the flashy stuff. If you go back to the dream eater portion, you'll see Sora actually take damage during the cinematic animation, so that's interesting. If nothing else, basic combos are looking very effective. It looks like you can dodge roll out of a combo now? That makes those attacks way less committal if so. Magic also clearly got an upgrade if you can perform it while moving. And finally shotlock as a ranged means of attacking. Hoping they show us what summons do, since all we've seen up to this point are flashy animations that you clearly don't control. In KH2, many summons acted independently of Sora and that's what made them all so varied and effective.

At 2:48 check out the damage from that rocket. I'm sure that's just an error at this point, but it illustrates my fears of various modes, limits, or Reaction Commands just being functionally ineffective and only serving as a cool animation.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It's been a year or two since I last played one of these so my recollection of the plot is a bit spotty. And I don't have access to that 0.8 game where you play as Aqua if that answers any questions. So Marluxia is alive? If the explanation for him being here comes from a previous game, then I assume this game will not take the time explaining it. Also, I know who Vanitas is, but how does Sora know?

Do you remember Master Xehanort's ultimate plan with his 13 seekers of Darkness? That would be the general explanation for this Organization that includes Ansem SoD and (as of now) Vanitas. As for how.... its not accurate to say that he was actually alive, but rather that he's back now thanks to Xehanort. As for the Vanitas thing, if you watch that clip again, you'll notice that Sora actually doesn't know Vanitas and was instead a jerk reaction, likely due to having Ven's heart. A similar situation happened with Roxas n regard to Sora when squaring up against Riku before the events of KH2.

I'm definitely paying attention to gameplay. Those weird forms like the claws and hammer seem a little unwieldy. If they fail to make an enemy flinch then you'll just eat a hit as Sora spins around. I suppose they are this game's analogue to drive forms in KH2. The magical staff we see briefly in the Tangled world appears to be Wisdom Form as you skate around. And like Drive Forms, there doesn't appear to be much variation in their abilities. Just crazy aggressive damage output. Except these weapon forms are probably better suited to crowd control.

Drive forms are kinda differently this time around, in that depending on which form you take on, has an effect on which keyblade transformation you can do. The most blatant example being the Guard form that was shown a while back, that turns the keyblade into a shield. The others have been conjectured to be a magic form (the blue one that has been shown to use a shooter transformation) that seems to also utilize the magic staff here,  and a power form (the red one seen in the last trailer with all those AoE attacks in the Toy Story world. Whether it was in this one too, I'm trying to figure out)

We don't often see Sora take damage in these trailers, so it's hard to judge how vulnerable he is during the flashy stuff. If you go back to the dream eater portion, you'll see Sora actually take damage during the cinematic animation, so that's interesting. If nothing else, basic combos are looking very effective. It looks like you can dodge roll out of a combo now? That makes those attacks way less committal if so. Magic also clearly got an upgrade if you can perform it while moving. And finally shotlock as a ranged means of attacking. Hoping they show us what summons do, since all we've seen up to this point are flashy animations that you clearly don't control. In KH2, many summons acted independently of Sora and that's what made them all so varied and effective.

At 2:48 check out the damage from that rocket. I'm sure that's just an error at this point, but it illustrates my fears of various modes, limits, or Reaction Commands just being functionally ineffective and only serving as a cool animation.

it would seem dodge roll got a buff this time around, considering its range coverage. Magic can do more this time around, such as affecting the environment. For example, If you choose to shoot a blizzard, it will leave a trail of ice, which can then be slid on via flow motion (which is also a thing in 0.2 Birth by Sleep.

I've a feeling that's another one of what they called "Situaton Commands". Only time will tell its full effect, seeing as how the actual damage it inflicted didn't amount to much