Suggestions on how to split my armies?

PhantomL

Hi, first time posting here, since I'm usually a lurker. I'm playing RD for the first time and I am loving it, playing it on easy first time as I just wanted to enjoy it casually and afterwards I am going to play it on normal since I'm a completionist and want the characters you can only get second time around.

Anyway, I am at the point where you split some armies, so was wondering a good way to do it/any suggestions, if it will help, here is a list of all my 'useable' units what can be swapped as anyone who has been benched for ages/I have zero intention on using in the endgame I will probably put wherever there are gaps.

Tanith- level 16 falcon knight

Marcia- level 16 falconknight

Nolan- level 19 warrior

Laura- level 5 bishop (underlevelled but will work as a staffbot)

Aran- 16/7 halberdier (I sealed him as the scrub brigade really needed another useable/tanky unit during the part 3 levels)

Danved- level 11 halberdier

Shinon- 20/5 marksman

Gatrie- 20/3 marshall

Oscar- 20/3 silver knight

Boyd- level 18 warrior

Bishop- level 6 bishop (again, another staffbot so will probably place whereever is lacking in healers)

Mia- 20/6 trueblade

Haar -  20/14 dragonlord

Jill- 20/13 dragonmaster

Keiran- level 14 axe paladin

Nephenee- 20/6 sentiel

Zihark- level 14 swordmaster

From my understanding, its best to put underlevelled units with Elincia since there is more exp there (mind you, I have been heavily hoarding bexp) and to put heather with ike as from what I have heard she is the only chance for a thief in their group. So yeah, any good tips on the best way to split units would be great.

Try to put fliers and mages in Micaiah's team, as she will be facing the only desert map in the game, and will need the mobile units. Keep in mind that the three armies share the Convoy, but cannot take anything that is in the inventories of units in other armies. In order to take advantage of this, you should keep Sothe loaded with items so that every time he finds a hidden item in the desert map you can choose whether to send it to the Convoy (thus making it available to the other teams) or keep it for yourself. The first option's probably better, as each team plays two maps (Micaiah gets 4-P and 4-3, Ike gets 4-1 and 4-4, Tibarn and Elincia get 4-2 and 4-5). Speaking of Sothe and Micaiah, Sothe has his story promotion at the end of 4-P, while Micaiah gets her last halfway during the preparations for Endgame (which is a universe itself, so I won't explain stuff here).

Now we talk special conversations: Micaiah's team gets Rexbolt (the SS-Thunder tome), Ike gets Rexcalibur (SS-Wind) and Tibarn gets Rexflame (SS-Fire). There is also a pretty heartwarming conversation on Elincia's team if Calill is still alive, especially if she's on that team. Btw, Rexbolt can only be used by Ilyana, so if you haven't been training her sell it. Rexflame is the best of the three, but can only be used by Sanaki (who won't double anything ever with it), Calill (but you haven't trained her), and Tormod (who will be re-joining in 4-4 alongside Muarim and Vika). The herons are locked to each team, but put Rafiel in the range of the 4-4 boss to trigger... a conversation (be sure he can't be killed by other enemies, though!).

10 minutes ago, Goddess Serra said:

Try to put fliers and mages in Micaiah's team, as she will be facing the only desert map in the game, and will need the mobile units. Keep in mind that the three armies share the Convoy, but cannot take anything that is in the inventories of units in other armies. In order to take advantage of this, you should keep Sothe loaded with items so that every time he finds a hidden item in the desert map you can choose whether to send it to the Convoy (thus making it available to the other teams) or keep it for yourself. The first option's probably better, as each team plays two maps (Micaiah gets 4-P and 4-3, Ike gets 4-1 and 4-4, Tibarn and Elincia get 4-2 and 4-5). Speaking of Sothe and Micaiah, Sothe has his story promotion at the end of 4-P, while Micaiah gets her last halfway during the preparations for Endgame (which is a universe itself, so I won't explain stuff here).

Now we talk special conversations: Micaiah's team gets Rexbolt (the SS-Thunder tome), Ike gets Rexcalibur (SS-Wind) and Tibarn gets Rexflame (SS-Fire). There is also a pretty heartwarming conversation on Elincia's team if Calill is still alive, especially if she's on that team. Btw, Rexbolt can only be used by Ilyana, so if you haven't been training her sell it. Rexflame is the best of the three, but can only be used by Sanaki (who won't double anything ever with it), Calill (but you haven't trained her), and Tormod (who will be re-joining in 4-4 alongside Muarim and Vika). The herons are locked to each team, but put Rafiel in the range of the 4-4 boss to trigger... a conversation (be sure he can't be killed by other enemies, though!).

Thanks. Guess the only rex- tome I will be making use of is the Wind one since Soren is the only mage I trained properly, and I will keep all my fliers with the silver armt.

I'm currently thinking something like:

M: Tanith, Marcia, Jill, Boyd, Haar, Rhys, Danved

I: Shinon, Nephenee, Gatrie, Mia, Oscar (+Heather for thief)

T: Laura, Keiran, Nolan, Aran, Zihark

And the bench I will just put wherever.

I tried to keep most the supports together, but a few I want to change around anyway, I will probably give this setup a go and see how it feels.

Edited by PhantomL

Generally I try to when possible have at least one of each class type per team. So 1 Marksman 1Archsage, etc. My recommendations though would be something like this:

Micaiha:

Sothe-Haar-Jill-Callil-Tormod-Nolan-Edward-Aran-Tauroneo-Mordecai-Skrimir-Ulki-Laura-

I won't say why but Micaiha has a map where flyers, shifted laguz and mages are all HIGHLY valued.

Elincia:

Gatri-Brom-Meg (if she's good) Nephanee-Devdan (or is it Danved)-Fiona-Makalov-Astrid-Kieran-Ranulf-Tibarn

The armor knights I think are more useful on team Elincia than any other team.

Ike:

Boyd-Titania-Oscar-Shinon-Soren-Volug-Naihalah-Zihark-Bishop-Mia-Soren-Mist

Ike has fewer because well he's Ike, it's unlikely he will need as much manpower as the other two teams. Meaning that Ike's team doesn't really benefit from extra manpower as much as the other teams will.

45 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

Generally I try to when possible have at least one of each class type per team. So 1 Marksman 1Archsage, etc. My recommendations though would be something like this:

Micaiha:

Sothe-Haar-Jill-Callil-Tormod-Nolan-Edward-Aran-Tauroneo-Mordecai-Skrimir-Ulki-Laura-

I won't say why but Micaiha has a map where flyers, shifted laguz and mages are all HIGHLY valued.

Elincia:

Gatri-Brom-Meg (if she's good) Nephanee-Devdan (or is it Danved)-Fiona-Makalov-Astrid-Kieran-Ranulf-Tibarn

The armor knights I think are more useful on team Elincia than any other team.

Ike:

Boyd-Titania-Oscar-Shinon-Soren-Volug-Naihalah-Zihark-Bishop-Mia-Soren-Mist

Ike has fewer because well he's Ike, it's unlikely he will need as much manpower as the other two teams. Meaning that Ike's team doesn't really benefit from extra manpower as much as the other teams will.

Tauroneo can't go with Micaiah's team. He's fixed in the Hawk Army. 

OT: Put your mages in Micaiah's team. Split your flyers among both Micaiah's and Tibarn's team. Foot units are best in Ike's team. Make sure you bring one staff bot to each of the three armies. Mist, Rhys and Laura can be split accordingly. Also try to bring characters with supports together. 

1. Bring fliers to Micaiah's party.

2. Have beastfoe for Tibarn's party.

3. Bring units to the GM's you tend to use for the final because these chapters are the best to train everyone. 

Also for the endgame have at least each physical weapon type covered. As for sword users you could bring two who can reach SS in swords.