General "mass killings" thread

Raven

The gunman was killed during an exchange of fire with police. The five victims have now been named.

"Let me guess, the gunman was black or non-white?"

Would've been nice to be wrong on that.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:50 AM, Jotari said:

Well to be uh...rather morbid, he probably has cost the company something.

• Clayton Parks of Elgin, Illinois, the human resources manager
  • Josh Pinkard from Oswego, the plant manager
  • Trevor Wehner, a 21-year-old student at Northern Illinois University and a human resources intern on his first day at Henry Pratt

It was folks at the workplace and 2 of them are managers so yeah. If the other 2 folks there happened to be technical workers with valuable rare expertise, that's even worse and more difficult to replace than the managers.

As morbid as it is to say, this happens to be less nonsensical than your typical mass shooting and that makes it rather scary to think about because sometimes companies don't always handle firings well and they will remove people just like that.

I know a colleague at work who loves guns and is playfully referred to as "the German redneck" by his friends. He's a chill dude and I don't believe he's the type to go on a rampage but the fact is that if he were fired and decided to go on a shooting spree at the building, he'd definitely score some kills, myself included (and likely) unless I'm working from home that particular day.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

"Let me guess, the gunman was black or non-white?"

Would've been nice to be wrong on that.

• Clayton Parks of Elgin, Illinois, the human resources manager
  • Josh Pinkard from Oswego, the plant manager
  • Trevor Wehner, a 21-year-old student at Northern Illinois University and a human resources intern on his first day at Henry Pratt

It was folks at the workplace and 2 of them are managers so yeah. If the other 2 folks there happened to be technical workers with valuable rare expertise, that's even worse and more difficult to replace than the managers.

As morbid as it is to say, this happens to be less nonsensical than your typical mass shooting and that makes it rather scary to think about because sometimes companies don't always handle firings well and they will remove people just like that.

I know a colleague at work who loves guns and is playfully referred to as "the German redneck" by his friends. He's a chill dude and I don't believe he's the type to go on a rampage but the fact is that if he were fired and decided to go on a shooting spree at the building, he'd definitely score some kills, myself included (and likely) unless I'm working from home that particular day.

Yeah, it's pretty fucked up. But I can understand going out and killing a bunch of people you know out of revenge more so than killing a bunch of random people for vague political (word used loosely) reasons. Although this would almost be worse if it became a trend. Imagine a situation where you couldn't fire an employee because you knew they owed a gun and there was a remote chance they could straight up murder you in revenge. Someone has to be fired though so you fire someone else who is more capable at their job but doesn't own a gun. Suddenly owning a gun and being very vocal about that fact would become a requirement for job security.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, Hylian Air Force said:

Seems this guy wanted to make the company pay for firing him. Honestly, what did he accomplish by doing this? 

Nothing. These kinds of people are enraged beyond all reason.

And they aren't exactly new. I know of three instances of disgruntled employees from watching Air Disasters (happy show I know).

• One employee crashed a plane with the CEO of their company on board, handing them a handwritten message just before they raided the cockpit.
  • Another tried to crash a Fed Ex cargo plane into Fed Ex HQ and frame it as an accident. Fortunately, the two pilots and flight engineer were all ex-US military. They couldn't ever pilot again because of the injuries they sustained from the bad guy's spear gun- a lot of blood was lost. And they made the plane do things it wasn't made to do and then land, despite their limited muscle control from blood loss, and while wrestling the guy to the ground and pounding him with a hammer when he couldn't fight back.
  • The third was an Egyptian pilot on an Airbus I believe. The old pilot was disgruntled because he never got a promotion he felt he deserved, and because he was being fired just before he was going to retire. Not without reason- the man was known for lewd behavior at the hotels he stayed at, flashing his genitals to pretty young women for instance. Because he had friends in the Mubarak regime, the Egyptian government vehemently denied the crash was murder-suicide, insisting it was a technical error instead.

Not exactly uncommon. Hell, there was a term created for US postal employees that were involved in murder incidents for 'going postal'. And that term is actually sort of misused because those incidents are rarer in postal facilities than the average workforce.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and recognize going into this that the vast majority of people on both sides of the political spectrum don't want kids to get murdered in school. If we use that as a starting point and just ask whoever we are talking to what they think would make things better we would be at each other's throats a bit less.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, Rayne said:

I think everyone needs to take a step back and recognize going into this that the vast majority of people on both sides of the political spectrum don't want kids to get murdered in school. If we use that as a starting point and just ask whoever we are talking to what they think would make things better we would be at each other's throats a bit less.

Good in theory, not going to happen in practice.  I believe one proposal was to have the teachers wield guns.  Another is for tighter gun restrictions.  These two stances are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and I doubt there's a way to reach a compromise when something like this happens.

The first compromise would be the background check extensions that are being passed by the house at the moment which even gun owners themselves support unless they're Fox News/Breitbart fans.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

On 3/2/2019 at 12:19 AM, eclipse said:

Good in theory, not going to happen in practice.  I believe one proposal was to have the teachers wield guns.  Another is for tighter gun restrictions.  These two stances are on opposite ends of the spectrum, and I doubt there's a way to reach a compromise when something like this happens.

I think one way to compromise is to just let states do their own thing instead of passing too much gun legislation at the national level.

If criminals are abusing the ease of obtaining guns from a conservative state to cause havoc in a liberal state, the conservative state responsible can be sued for negligence or something.

So I just read an article saying that the UK has a knifing crisis right now. https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/uk/uk-knife-crime-graphics-gbr-intl/index.html

A tragedy, but better knives than guns though. 

Not sure from the article if these can be called hate crimes, minorities adding up to 43% of London's population and 50% of the crimes being against minorities looks a little too close to consider them singled out.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So I just read an article saying that the UK has a knifing crisis right now. https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/uk/uk-knife-crime-graphics-gbr-intl/index.html

A tragedy, but better knives than guns though. 

Not sure from the article if these can be called hate crimes, minorities adding up to 43% of London's population and 50% of the crimes being against minorities looks a little too close to consider them singled out.

Depends on which minorities. If London is made up of 43% minorities but half of them are Irish and 50% of the crimes are against Pakistanis and close to 0% to Irish, then there's hate crime going on there even if statistics just say 50% if victims minorities, 50% of the population minorities. Not saying that is the case though. The UKs just in a sorry state overall. Even the people who voted for Brexit have to acknowledge that it's been handled terribly. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-latin-america-47558141

A reminder that it can happen anywhere. I would hope that this doesn't become common in Brazil, though.

Edit: A twofer. Now New Zealand has had an attack. That was livestreamed to 4chan. No words.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Our current president is so dead set on parroting Trump, we exported not only mass shootings, but alt-right rethoric and Alex Jones-like conspiracy theories.

To see a senator, mere hours after this act of domestic terrorism, say that we need MORE guns to solve this problem is fucking ridiculous, to the point some even suggested giving teachers guns. 

And, while we're at it, this wasn't the only case in recent memory. A similar one, with misoginistic undertones, happened a while ago, also in a school. Last year, we had someone shooting up a church.

15 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-latin-america-47558141

A reminder that it can happen anywhere. I would hope that this doesn't become common in Brazil, though.

Edit: A twofer. Now New Zealand has had an attack. That was livestreamed to 4chan. No words.

Brazil is a developing country (for now) so I'm not surprised (though, of course, disappointed) to hear of something like that happening there. New Zealand is pretty surprising though. They're rather chill as people as far as I know.

Edited by Jotari

Details on the NZ shooting.

The dude had enough time to go in, shoot, go back to his car to get more ammo and go back in to shoot again.

I saw the 17 minute video of the livestream and wasn't disturbed by it, just wondered what the heck the motivation was. Then I read the article and the first phrase that came to mind was "business as usual"...

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

2 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I saw the 17 minute video of the livestream and wasn't disturbed by it, just wondered what the heck the motivation was. Then I read the article and the first phrase that came to mind was "business as usual"...

There's a manifesto(Of course there is).

Surprise surprise, turns out this was an attack inspired by Trump and fueled by far right echo chambers on the chans.

An attack like this does not shock me, neither the brutality, nor even the filming part. But the area where it happened, does actually. NZ is known for a peaceful society and politics. It never ever had to deal with insurgencies, much less terror attacks...until yesterday. This happening will make a deep cut in this country. 

This attack was perfect food for Erdogan to make more mouthpropagana against anti-islamic people aka the west. 

My sympathies to New Zealand and the victims. And so to those in the world who have lost peace of mind from this atrocity.

I thought I heard the shooter was actually from Australia, only recently moving to New Zealand. And that he chose to attack in New Zealand to prove that this kind of terrible thing could happen anywhere.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My sympathies to New Zealand and the victims. And so to those in the world who have lost peace of mind from this atrocity.

I thought I heard the shooter was actually from Australia, only recently moving to New Zealand. And that he chose to attack in New Zealand to prove that this kind of terrible thing could happen anywhere.

That's pretty shitty reasoning. "This thing could happen anywhere, because I intentionally go out and commit it in a place where it otherwise wouldn't."

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He couldn't do it in Australia because of the law against it.

1 hour ago, Tetragrammaton said:

He couldn't do it in Australia because of the law against it.

Haven't researched it, but I assume killing a bunch of people is illegal in New Zealand too.

54 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Haven't researched it, but I assume killing a bunch of people is illegal in New Zealand too.

I mean the gun law.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia-and-new-zealand

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/15/asia/new-zealand-gun-control-intl/index.html

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-zealand-shooting-gun-laws_n_5c8bc829e4b0d7f6b0f2eb9f

It is much easier for him to collect guns to use in New Zealand than Australia.

Australia has the tightest gun control policies in the Pacific and some of the most comprehensive regulations internationally. New Zealand is at the opposite end of the spectrum with some of the most permissive gun policies in the Pacific region. Among developed nations it stands alone with the United States as the only two countries without universal gun registration.

"There were five guns used by the primary perpetrator," she said at a news conference in Wellington. "There were two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns. The offender was in possession of a gun license. I'm advised this was acquired in November of 2017. A lever-action firearm was also found."
She said the suspect, identified as Brenton Tarrant, obtained a gun license in November 2017 and began purchasing guns legally in December 2017.

Edited by Tetragrammaton

2 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Oh wow. Didn't know New Zealand was so liberal about it's gun laws. Wonder if they'll change that after this incident.

I learned about the NZ shooting when I was in a phone call with a friend, and he was browsing through twitter and saw a post about it, so it was on the night that it happened... or I guess the day that it happened depending on the time zone. He was watching the video, and he stopped watching it after he saw the first person die. I didn't see the video at all, only a 5 second clip on twitter where the gunman said "subscribe to pewdiepie."