Tellius, A Shonen Series?

Jingle Jangle

On 18.2.2018 at 11:26 PM, Køkø said:

Okay, I understand you a little better now. So how do you feel about the other characters I mentioned?  

Tbh, I can't say anything about Letzenheimer, Krisheena, and Faye (who I assume is also a TRS character) and only very little about Seliph and Leif. In case of Linde, Valbar, and most characters that have revenge as a motive and that I can think of, it's about the difference between "I want to defeat X" and "I want to be stronger than X". If memory serves, Valbar does not go all "no, this is my fight" when Celica joins the fight against Barth. Linde does have the line "I want to destroy Gharnef myself!" when Marth recruits her, but it isn't brought up again at any point of the game (go figure, it's SD after all ;) ) and the game certainly doesn't enforce that the player lets her fight Gharnef personally like FE9 and 10 do.

So basically, the search for revenge is definitely not unique to FE9. Most games have at least a couple dudes, both on the player's and the enemies' sides, that hold a grudge against someone - Rutger, Erik, Riev, Marth, and Hardin, to take an example out of every non-Tellius FE game that I've played. But how many of the main characters have a personal vendetta against a major antagonist and insist on fighting them mano a mano?
Marth does have a grudge against King Jiol, but he doesn't even have a single line before facing him. In FE3/12, Hardin's madness is caused by Nyna and Camus (and Gharnef, ofc) and his death scene focusses on him coming to his senses, not on a sentiment of triumph. Roy actually tries to save Idoun. Nergal, at least story-wise, is more powerful than any of the lords individually, so it's not about, say, Eliwood becoming stronger than him; not to mention that Eliwood actually feels pity towards Nergal in the end. Eirika and Ephraim both consider Lyon their friend until the very end, although I'll say that Innes has a rather shonen-rival-y attitude towards Ephraim. ;)

But to repeat myself:

On 18.2.2018 at 11:01 PM, ping said:

I should add that I don't want to say that Tellius is "shonen", just that it does have some parallels to the genre, and more than other games in the FE series do. I don't even intend this to be a point of criticism, just an observation.

I don't even claim that the personal-strength trope is exclusive to the shonen genre - if you think about it, every superhero comic is about the Hero overpowering the Villain, and the classical crossover in which the two superheroes come to fight each other pretty much exists to answer the fandom's question of "who would win in a fight".