General Weapon Refinery discussion/speculation/creation thread

Corrobin

59 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Seven is almost always seen as 七

漆 is better translated as varnish or lacquer which makes more sense considering this is Oboro we’re talking about. So if I had to translate it 漆薙刀 would be Varnished Naginata not Seven Naginata.

Now that I think about it a second time varnish makes more sense. The lance does look varnished. I struggle which meaning to pick, still in the learning process there. I guess looking at what would be a more common choice for a character is a good start. 

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

@Stroud There were a few... odd Naginata's in Fates, such as the Bold Naginata and the Pine Branch. So while the official definition of a Naginata may not have anything like a double edged existence, Fire Emblem will make you wield a teddy bear as a weapon of mass destruction and then call it an axe. Better known as "It will play by its own rules".

True, they also adjust some thing from characters which a inspired by their mythological name. Like Surtr who wields an axe instead of a sword. And its not totally wrong, Fire emblem has its own rules like you just said.

Just counted my Oboros and saw that I could make her instantly +7. I really may choose between her and Tharja depending on the weapon. They are both kinds of units I still lack. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seth: Outclassed by Ares. Make it better than what I originally came up with on this thread at least.

Hinata: The boi with the Ignis being so big definitely needed a refine. Does not need to make him more powerful than sword armors. Those guys just need nerfs.

Eliwood: Just in time after making the top 2 of CYL. I have a feeling they’ll do something other than Def Ploy. Spd/Def Ploy? Bonuses from being near dragons?

Tharja: What @Thane said. Was hoping for Goetia, but I guess they are saving that for Henry.

Oboro: I was preparing to build one myself with the Harmonic Lance. Should have expected this. The award Fliers/Harmonic Lance fodder could have gone to someone else.

Amelia: Was planning on making up a Refine for her, actually. I guess Surtr being around and other things made this necessary.

Nino: Same here. Similar case to Tharja, too, only this is a Flying variant that is more common (as in, not a seasonal).

Niles: Slaying Bow+ w/16 might and Mystic Boost? That could work.

1 hour ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Developers just want the Dark Emperor and Prrrrresident Oboro back to being more than merely a feature of a Lu Bu Feng Xian video. 

I was thinking about that.

Wonder if we’ll see a new sort of bunny-hopping Amelia in Chaz Aria LLC’s channel?

"Hinata's Katana" had increased might when the user initiated. Death Blow 3 or 4 should be its standard effect. His personal skill of Triple Threat: "When user is under half HP, half the damage received by Swords, Lances or Axes is also dealt to the enemy" would be rather useless in FEH, dunno how to make that a desirable effect refine.

1 hour ago, Chrom-ulent said:

"Hinata's Katana" had increased might when the user initiated. Death Blow 3 or 4 should be its standard effect. His personal skill of Triple Threat: "When user is under half HP, half the damage received by Swords, Lances or Axes is also dealt to the enemy" would be rather useless in FEH, dunno how to make that a desirable effect refine.

They could do away with the health requirement and make it a melee version of unique refined Parthia's effect. "If foe uses sword, lance, or axe (or dragonstone, or beast damage), grants Atk+6 during combat."

In that case, Hinata's Katana could be: "16 Mt. If unit initiates combat, grants Atk+6 during combat" and with a unique refinement of "If foe uses sword, lance, or axe (or dragonstone, or beast damage), grants Atk+6 during combat." Hinata would essentially gain Atk+12 against swords, lances, and axes along with potentially dragons and beasts when he initiates.

The alternative thing is for the unique refinement to be Fury 3. Built-in Death Blow 3 and Fury 3 would kind of be hilarious for Hinata. They might as well throw in effective damage against armors or cavalry at that point too. And watch as Hinata's Katana have T-Adept 3 instead with Fury 3 as its unique refinement. Or for more insanity that will never happen, Sturdy Impact and Steady Stance 4 for Hinata's Katana.

Mirror Impact or whatever they're going to call that when it's eventually introduced would work well for Durandal's upgraded effect. Atk+6 for Death Blow 3 essentially, Res+10 for even more resistance against dragons, and preventing foes, mainly dragons, from following up when he initiates.

Edited by Kaden

Is it just me or does it seem like they've stopped giving weapon evolutions out? IIRC, the last one was Mystletainn -> Dark Mystletainn; I think that was after Sealed Falchion, but can't remember for sure. Since then, in addition to Giga Excalibur, there's been Legendary Armads and Exalted Falchion, the latter of which would've been super nice for Marth.

Edited by bottlegnomes

2 hours ago, Kaden said:

They could do away with the health requirement and make it a 1-range target version of unique refined Parthia. "If foe uses sword, lance, or axe (or dragonstone, or beast damage), grants Atk+6 during combat."

In that case, Hinata's Katana could be: "16 Mt. If unit initiates combat, grants Atk+6 during combat" and with a unique refinement of "If foe uses sword, lance, or axe (or dragonstone, or beast damage), grants Atk+6 during combat." Hinata would essentially gain Atk+12 against swords, lances, and axes along with potentially dragons and beasts when he initiates.

The alternative thing is for the unique refinement to be Fury 3. Built-in Death Blow 3 and Fury 3 would kind of be hilarious for Hinata. And watch as Hinata's Katana have T-Adept 3 instead with Fury 3 as its unique refinement. Or for more insanity that will never happen, Sturdy Impact and Steady Stance 4 for Hinata's Katana.

Fury 6 would make Hinata a meme build. Yeah, I'd rather see your idea of Close Offense. Making it work on both phases would make it as good as Florina's Close Stance.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

1 minute ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Fury 6 would make Hinata a meme build. Yeah, I'd rather see your idea of Close Offense. Making it work on both phases would make it as good as Florina's Close Stance.

Hinata even has a Spd superboon like Bartre for more memes.

5 hours ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Triple Threat could be interpreted as an Ice Mirror-type effect, something like “After Special triggers based on foe’s attack, boosts unit’s next attack by total damage that was reduced.”

2 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Is it just me or does it seem like they've stopped giving weapon evolutions out? IIRC, the last one was Mystletainn -> Dark Mystletainn; I think that was after Sealed Falchion, but can't remember for sure. Since then, in addition to Giga Excalibur, there's been Legendary Armads and Exalted Falchion, the latter of which would've been super nice for Marth.

Who would Giga Excalibur be given to?

I agree on Thunder Armads and Exalted Falchion though, I wish they could be given to the non-Legendary Hector and Marth since I can’t pull either of their Legendary versions.

6 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

I agree on Thunder Armads and Exalted Falchion though, I wish they could be given to the non-Legendary Hector and Marth since I can’t pull either of their Legendary versions.

giga excalibur wasn't even called that in japanese is memory serves me correctly, so merric and sonia are out I think

as for thunder armads and exalted falchion, I think they are too broken to be given that level of availability, there is fun to be had with dark missiletainn, but it doesn't compare to +12 in every stat, before combat buffs, and thunder armads is basically power creeped great breath with easier requirements.

12 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Ursula Base Nino. I mean, she's already pretty speedy, only 2 speed behind her flying self, and a +spd, +10 Nino running that with SS2 would hit 55/50, which would let her activate the extra damage quite often.

Actually, I guess evolve isn't the right word since she didn't have a personal in the first place to evolve.

Edited by bottlegnomes

1 minute ago, bottlegnomes said:

Ursula Base Nino. I mean, she's already pretty speedy, only 2 speed behind her flying self, and a +spd, +10 Nino running that with SS2 would hit 55/50, which would let her activate the extra damage quite often.

have they done that with a weapon before? evolutions yes, but I don't know about just adding an already existing weapon to a character's skill list.

1 minute ago, thecrimsonflash said:

have they done that with a weapon before? evolutions yes, but I don't know about just adding an already existing weapon to a character's skill list.

Not that I'm aware of, but there's nothing stopping them short of the desire to make the weapon refinable (since it would be for both characters).

As for the other two, Exalted Falchion is great, but Lucina under the same conditions can hit +11 to all stats after taking 1 point of damage, and she's got a better statline than vanilla Marth. Base Armads can run omni-breaker without needing to be near anyone, granted at the cost of a couple skill slots, and BA is just massively powerful. They're great weapons, but I wouldn't say they're too powerful to give out. Heck, Catria's and Est's refinements are probably on par with Thunder Armads IMO.

4 hours ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Unique refined Parthia's effect works on both phases so long as Jeorge is fighting someone using a bow, dagger, staff, or tome. Similarly, Gae Bolg's effect works on both phases so long as Quan is fighting an armored, a cavalry, or an infantry foe. Unique refined Parthia's effect targets weapon type, ranged units, while Gae Bolg's effect targets movement type. In contrast, Florina's Lance's unique refinement and Vidofnir's effect only works on enemy phase and against axes, beasts, dragons, lances, and swords.

The idea for Hinata's Katana would be closest to unique refine Parthia which is why I called it a melee version of the effect.

14 hours ago, Stroud said:

Just looked at the japanese name of her Weapon its its called : 漆薙刀 where 薙刀 stands for Naginata.

漆 could stand for 7 as a prefix. Just makes it more confusing, tried to research about Naginata to see if there are variations, but I just cannot find anything about a double edged Naginata. I guess they made that weapon design for Oboro, because of her Artwork. 

Overall the weapon could be just a Yari (blade in form of a spear) anyway. I think the english translation is more accurate this time, unless I am missing something? 

13 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Seven is almost always seen as 七

漆 is better translated as varnish or lacquer which makes more sense considering this is Oboro we’re talking about. So if I had to translate it 漆薙刀 would be Varnished Naginata not Seven Naginata.

You’re right in the English being more accurate this time since 槍/Yari means spear/lance/javelin which is what she’s wielding.

@Ice Dragon you’re more knowledgeable in Japanese right? so please tell me if anything I said was wrong.

The character 漆 is used as the number seven primarily for legal documents (due to it being a homophone), largely for the same reason why you write out the amount in plain words when writing a check/cheque. It makes it harder for someone to tamper with the number.

In this context, it would have its normal meaning of "lacquered".

It has the same name as Oboro's Spear in Fates and Warriors, but a different design, presumably to match the design in her Heroes artwork.

4 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Giga Excalibur is not a prefixed version of Excalibur.

In Blazing Sword, the weapon that morph Ursula has in the final chapter is called "Gigascalibur" in Japanese, which was unfortunately localized as "Excalibur" in the original game. This is the same weapon that flying Nino has in Heroes, but the weapon's name was relocalized as "Giga Excalibur" to not overlap with Merric's Excalibur.

Makes me wonder what they're going to do with Thracia 776's Grafcalibur and Binding Blade's Aircalibur/Alacalibur.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Giga Excalibur is not a prefixed version of Excalibur.

In Blazing Sword, the weapon that morph Ursula has in the final chapter is called "Gigascalibur" in Japanese, which was unfortunately localized as "Excalibur" in the original game. This is the same weapon that flying Nino has in Heroes, but the weapon's name was relocalized as "Giga Excalibur" to not overlap with Merric's Excalibur.

Makes me wonder what they're going to do with Thracia 776's Grafcalibur and Binding Blade's Aircalibur/Alacalibur.

Yeah, I realize I probably should've used better phrasing. More meant it as giving weapons to characters that it made some logical sense with, like base versions of alts, hence Nino getting Giga Excalibur or regular Marth getting Exalted Falchion. But as someone pointed out, the Nino scenario would be the first case of that.

And obviously Math Excalibur.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

For a future Weapon Refinery update, I want staff units to receive a exclusive weapon... The refinement can be Wrathful or Dazzling, but I want each staff unit to have a unique weapon.

I agree. If the cancer that is Brave Veronica can have a prf, all of her inferiors can too. 

I want a reason to use Lucius more.

6 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

For a future Weapon Refinery update, I want staff units to receive a exclusive weapon... The refinement can be Wrathful or Dazzling, but I want each staff unit to have a unique weapon.

Staves are in a rough spot as far as PRFs go. One of the effects essentially has to be wrazzle or dazzle which only gives you one effect to play with. Then you have to make sure it actually outperforms current inheritable staves, which is no small feat given how good Pain and Gravity can be. Staves are a bizarre exsistence in that their generic weapons already have 2 effects so PRF staves would have to be very carefully designed or they'd be useless.

I mean of the 2 unique staves we have, one is overtuned and the other is specifically designed for AR and not very useful otherwise

Eliwood gets DB3 + SS2, cotdamn, Nino gets a blade tome with no reduction and even attack wave, and Seth gets a gem weapon with speed tactics. Don't have the rest at 5*.

Well, Eliwood, you may be back to being my red cav merge project.

Nino's Iris Tome has 14 Mt (Gronnblade+ has 13 Mt) and removes the +1 Cooldown Special Trigger penalty. Refinement is Even Atk Wave 3.

Tharja's Tome has 14 Mt (Raourblade has 13 Mt) and removes the +1 Cooldown Special Trigger penalty. Refinement reduces Atk and Spd by on enemies in a range of 2 squares.

Edited by Jave

Amelia's new weapon is Slaying Axe as its base and "if unit has a bonus or positive status effect, +5 Spd/Def in combat" as its refine.

Tharja's new weapon is Raudhrblade as its base without the penalty and "enemies within 2 squares suffer -4 Atk/Spd in combat" as its refine.

Edited by Ice Dragon

32 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Eliwood gets DB3 + SS2, cotdamn, Nino gets a blade tome with no reduction and even attack wave, and Seth gets a gem weapon with speed tactics. Don't have the rest at 5*.

Well, Eliwood, you may be back to being my red cav merge project.

Well, he can counter Surtr, L!Hector, V!Hector, etc. still.

And hey, some of us need Speed Tactics.