General Weapon Refinery discussion/speculation/creation thread

Corrobin

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Desert Mercenaries Ephraim's Duo Skill is not that overpowered. A Monstrous Harvest Hector's Duo Skill is busted if the defense team is not prepared for it, but it is easily countered with a decent Healing Tower or healers.

wait for proper built Galeforce Infantry Teams in about a few months and then talk again. That Duo for higher movement is HUGE which makes Infantries by far a better pick then for Galeforce strats then horses in AR. It also makes it possible for all your Infantry units to snipe things easier when all of them suddenly have 3 Movement. All you need in AR is that one turn lined up and then just slaughter the enemy, Pretty easy when you suddenly have "Horse" Units at hand with 162-173 BST (ranged or non ranged).

And contrary to Duo-Hector there is no building to counter it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

wait for proper built Galeforce Infantry Teams in about a few months and then talk again. That Duo for higher movement is HUGE which makes Infantries by far a better pick then for Galeforce strats then horses in AR. It also makes it possible for all your Infantry units to snipe things easier when all of them suddenly have 3 Movement. All you need in AR is that one turn lined up and then just slaughter the enemy, Pretty easy when you suddenly have "Horse" Units at hand with 162-173 BST (ranged or non ranged).

And contrary to Duo-Hector there is no building to counter it.

Unless you are spamming the team with Infantry Pulse or something, infantry is not necessarily better than cavalry. Eliwood/Brave Hero Roy-Peri combo just needs one Heavy Blade on Peri and they have 3 movement forever.

Edited by XRay

Duo Ephraim's skill is kinda meh... "Grants Mov+1 to unit and infantry and armored allies within 2 spaces" is not that game changing.

Duo Hector's skill is way more annoying, but like @XRay said, it can be countered. Actually, this happened with me: someone used Hector's Skill and sent a unit to bait my team, but then the healing tower healed my team back to Full HP.

• 3 weeks later...

Dragging this thread back up because of the new refine announcement (Mia, Clive, Mathilda, and Arthur).

Mia's raw offensive stats are already on par with other more recent sword infantry, with Mia having an effective 35/40 (with her weapon's extra +3 Atk) compared to Byleth's 34/40(+1), Karla's 35/40(+1), and Mareeta's 33/41(+1). Her only shortcoming is the fact that her weapon only has the Wo Dao effect (the +3 Atk is already being counted as part of her base stats for more consistent comparison), which is inferior to everyone else's Slaying Edge, and that's even before counting everyone else's weapons' second effects.

Simply turning her weapon into another Hauteclere is technically an option, but it also makes her still worse than Karla, as Vassal's Blade is compatible with Wrath or gets 14 damage per 2 hits with Desperation (compared to Resolute Blade's 10 damage).

Giving her Wrath is... um... an option. I mean, if they don't mind giving us another Berserk Armads. What could possibly go wrong?

If they really, really want to make it so that players keep her default Flashing Blade on her... well, that's impossible because Flashing Blade is a Sacred Seal, and the Sacred Seal slot is way, way less expensive than the passive A slot now due to Tier 4 skills. (Speaking of which, Ayra is seriously in need of a better weapon, too.)

Null Follow-Up is an option, but that's just worse than Creator Sword's Null Follow-Up + Null Special Charge Rate. And Creator Sword still being a Slaying Edge instead of a Wo Dao.

Basically, she needs something different from what her competition has or something strictly better to make up for the fact that Wo Dao is significantly less flexible than Slaying Edge.

Clive's stat spread is most similar to Silas's and the Death Knight's, and having Silver Lance as his default weapon means his new weapon can pretty much be anything. Slaying Lance or one of the weapons with enemy-phase stat boosts (Vanguard, etc.) would be ideal as a base. I'd imagine a proximity effect as his refine.

Mathilda is basically just Peri with 4 Atk moved to Res. Ridersbane is kind of a crummy weapon since cavalry aren't typically so bulky as to require effective damage, but it's likely she'll be keeping it as her weapon's base effect. I'm guessing she'll have a refine effect similar or identical to Clive's. +6/6/6/6 to self and all cavalry within 2 squares at the start of every turn would be nice.

Arthur... kinda sucks. First and foremost, he has a balanced stat spread with a Gen 1 infantry stat total, meaning he simply doesn't have enough points in any stat to excel at anything. So he just sucks at everything.

Pretty much anything would work as long as it actually gives him a specialization in any direction.

That said, I really just want to see something silly like Emerald Axe base with +20 to all stats in combat if the opponent is blue.

I'd be cool if for Matilda they implemented the ancient ring into her weapon. Basically giving her a massive boost in resistance making her immune to magic and a really powerful ice berg unit. Either that or outright giving her Sigurd's Tyrfing effect. Giving her Warding Stance 4 would be another option. A Tyrfing effect is probably make for the most obvious reference (which personally is more important to me than functionality). I know Clair is more associated with the Ancient Ring in the chapter, but given Clair's lance is already a thing that exists, shifting the idea of the Ancient Ring onto Matilda seems reasonable. Plus it does reinforce the whole fact that she's one of the only characters with res in the game (which I know is already present in her statline, but given how rare that is in Gaiden, it could be stressed further).

Edited by Jotari

Mia

Base is the same as before. Refine adds the same effect as Vassal's Blade and Gigascalibur.

When using a 2-cooldown Special, Moonbow / Ruptured Sky + Wo Dao is better than Luna + Slaying Edge most of the time:

Enemy Atk typically hovers around 55-70, so you're doing 21-25 damage with Ruptured Sky + Wo Dao before Ruptured Sky's bonus damage.
Enemy Def typically hovers around 25-55, so you're doing 17-26 damage with Moonbow + Wo Dao.
Enemy Def typically hovers around 25-55, so you're doing 12-27 damage with Luna + Slaying Edge.

This pretty much means that Mia slightly edges out Karla on any build using a 2-cooldown Special, namely Wrath + Time's Pulse, Desperation + Time's Pulse, and Desperation + Flashing Blade.

When using a 3-cooldown Special, Luna + Wo Dao is comparable to Dragon Fang + Slaying Edge:

Enemy Def typically hovers around 25-55, so you're doing 22-37 damage with Luna + Wo Dao.
Karla's Atk can get around 61-75, so you're doing 30-37 damage with Dragon Fang + Slaying Edge.

This particular build looks like

Mia [+Spd] (Resolute Blade [unique], Luna, Swift Sparrow 3, Desperation 3, Time's Pulse 3, Flashing Blade 3)
Karla [+Spd] (Vassal's Blade, Dragon Fang, Swift Sparrow 3, Desperation 3, Time's Pulse 3, Flashing Blade 3)

The Atk value used for the above number comes from 35 base + 16 Vassal's Blade plus 6 Swift Sparrow 3 + 4 max merge for 61 Atk, and adding 2 max Dragonflower + 6 Atk field buff + 6 Ardent Durandal for 75 Atk. You can of course get higher with a different passive A skill, but Swift Sparrow 3 is a good baseline.

So basically Mia is a bit better than Karla on 2-cooldown builds and comparable to Karla on 3-cooldown builds.

Karla still has the advantage that she can break Special Fighter / Guard builds while running Desperation while Mia can only do so with a one-hit kill Wrath + Time's Pulse build.

Clive, Mathilda

Clive's base is Slaying Spear. Mathilda's base is Slaying Lance. Refine is the same for both, giving +3 to all stats to the unit and their support partner if they are within 2 spaces of each other.

You can now run double Clive or double Mathilda instead of double Corrin for a cavalry tank with better effectiveness (since they can run Goad/Ward Cavalry instead of Close/Distant Guard), but I'll focus on Clive and Mathilda's actual combat performance here.

Clive has 48(+1)/36(+1)/28/35(+1)/22 as his stat spread with his weapon effect active, which pretty much just makes him Silas (43/35/24/36/21 with Dull Armor, 45/35/24/36/21 plus refine stat otherwise) with a bit more HP and a bit less of whatever stat you refine Silas's weapon for. So he's basically just Silas locked to a Slaying Spear build and the stat refine or Dull Armor refine replaced with a buff to his Support partner. Not bad.

Mathilda has 38/32/35/27/37 as her stat spread with her weapon effect active. Peri has 38/37/37/27/34 as her stat spread with her weapon effect active. Both have Slaying Lance as their base effect, so Mathilda basically just has worse stats in exchange for buffing her support partner. The Support proximity condition is also harder to activate for a player-phase cavalry unit, so there's also that. Still pretty lackluster outside of running double Mathilda Support buffs.

Arthur

Base is +3 to all stats if he has a field buff. Refine is +5 to all stats if he has a penalty or has taken any damage. Unlike Idunn and Brunnya, he doesn't neutralize his penalties.

So with both of his weapon effects active, his base stat spread looks like 46/40(56)/37/38/32. As long as you keep both effects active, his stat line is at least competitive with the top offensive and defensive axes, though he cannot run Slaying Axe at the same time.

For comparison:

Arthur: 46/40(56)/37/38/32

Raven: 44/39(55)/40/20/17 + Slaying
Linus: 45/42(58)/38/27/14 + Slaying

Gerik: 52/37(51)/39/30/22 + Slaying, running Slaying Axe+ [Spd]
Echidna: 50/34(48)/39/30/27 + Slaying, running Slaying Axe+ [Spd]

Brave Ike: 46/36(52)/28/35/20 + Slaying + all of Urvan's other bullshit
Hawkeye: 48/36(52)/22/31/34 + Slaying, if the opponent has no Atk or Def buffs
Hawkeye: 48/42(58)/22/37/40 + Slaying, effective stats if the opponent has +6 field buffs to Atk and Def

Pretty good as long as you can keep up both of his weapon effects.

Overall thoughts

Cargo shorts are still better than overalls.

None of the new refines are groundbreaking, but Mia is now competitive again, Arthur is now competitive at all, Clive is now viable, and Mathilda is now a buff bot.

EDIT: @JSND Alter Dragon Boner since you asked me what I thought in the General thread.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Bummed out that Mathilda has a buffing refine. I don't know if that's worse than a gem weapon. At least it's a personal slaying lance.

Triangle Adept weapons are rather underrated. Triangle Adept kind of has a bad reputation due to it mostly being used as a skill to compensate for a unit's low Atk, and Triangle Adept weapons kind of have a bad reputation for their low Mt, but Triangle Adept on a 16 Mt weapon on a unit with at least passable Atk is great as a dedicated counter.

Furthermore, weapons with Triangle Adept on them have amazing synergy with skills like Death Blow and Fierce Stance. The damage mitigation also means player-phase Triangle Adept units can completely forgo Desperation and use other skills instead.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

You can now run double Clive or double Mathilda instead of double Corrin for a cavalry tank with better effectiveness (since they can run Goad/Ward Cavalry instead of Close/Distant Guard), but I'll focus on Clive and Mathilda's actual combat performance here.

Clive/Mathilda actually give about the same as M!Corrin.

Clive/Mathilda: 12 Weapon + 8 C slot + 3 Sacred Seal = 23 buff points

M!Corrin: 16 Weapon + 3 C slot + 3 Sacred Seal = 22 buff points

If you run two Clives/Mathildas, I guess  you gain 2 extra stat points, but 2 M!Corrins running Distant Guard and Close Guard will even out the total stat points. Goad Cavalry and Ward Cavalry are cheaper though.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you run two Clives/Mathildas, I guess  you gain 2 extra stat points, but 2 M!Corrins running Distant Guard and Close Guard will even out the total stat points. Goad Cavalry and Ward Cavalry are cheaper though.

Corrin has higher bst however as an infantry unit and has a static spectrum +2. This means he can easily soak chills, the cavs cannot. So I think Corrin still is more useful.

40 minutes ago, XRay said:

For the vast majority of super tanks, points in Spd are entirely wasted, meaning Clive or Mathilda will still be better for cavalry tanks (who all have awful Spd). Clive or Mathilda grant 20 total points to Atk, Def, and Res whereas Corrin only grants 19 with Close/Distant Guard.

Furthermore, cavalry tanks usually have lower Def and Res than other tanking classes, meaning they are more in need of a boost there. Clive or Mathilda can give a total of 17 points to Def and Res while Corrin can only give 14 points.

The only time Corrin is going to be better than Clive or Mathilda for a cavalry tank is if you double up on Close Guard or Distant Guard (as opposed to running one of each) in a situation where the other isn't necessary.

35 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Corrin has higher bst however as an infantry unit and has a static spectrum +2. This means he can easily soak chills, the cavs cannot. So I think Corrin still is more useful.

Corrin is extremely unlikely to be soaking any relevant Chill skills from proper super tanks since super tanks will almost always have higher Atk, Def, and Res than he does.

Even with the +2 permanent boost to all stats, he's 6 points short of matching Hrid's Atk and Def, 1 point short of matching Berkut's Atk, 5 points short of matching Berkut's Def, 4 points short of matching Berkut's Res, 4 points short of matching Conrad's Def, and 9 points short of matching Conrad's Res.

The only skill slot Corrin has that can further boost his stats in an attempt to soak Chill skills is his passive A slot because his Sacred Seal slot necessarily must be a Drive skill, and the best he can do is Fury 4 or Fortress Def/Res 3.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

For the vast majority of super tanks, points in Spd are entirely wasted, meaning Clive or Mathilda will still be better for cavalry tanks (who all have awful Spd). Clive or Mathilda grant 20 total points to Atk, Def, and Res whereas Corrin only grants 19 with Close/Distant Guard.

I think Spd is not waste and you should still bump it up to around 50+ to stop Alm: Saint King from doubling the tank.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I think Spd is not waste and you should still bump it up to around 50+ to stop Alm: Saint King from doubling the tank.

It's great that you can say that, but I can count the number of cavalry tanks that can hit 50+ Spd without completely shitting on one of their other stats on one finger.

That's Perceval, by the way.

29 minutes ago, XRay said:

not to mention with the new skill of Mareeta, points in Spd might matter because its a flat out Damage reduction.

Assuming it is an upgrade from Hit and Run. this means only Melees can use this skill, but the skill can be very powerfull.

Sothis for example could become quite bulky with this skill and her special, considering she has very high spd

Edited by Hilda

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's great that you can say that, but I can count the number of cavalry tanks that can hit 50+ Spd without completely shitting on one of their other stats on one finger.

That's Perceval, by the way.

I believe you can get almost anyone to have 60/60/50/50/50 stat spread or higher. I think 50+ Def/Res is sufficient for practically anything excluding Infantry Pulse teams.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Furthermore, cavalry tanks usually have lower Def and Res than other tanking classes, meaning they are more in need of a boost there. Clive or Mathilda can give a total of 17 points to Def and Res while Corrin can only give 14 points.

The only time Corrin is going to be better than Clive or Mathilda for a cavalry tank is if you double up on Close Guard or Distant Guard (as opposed to running one of each) in a situation where the other isn't necessary.

Corrin is extremely unlikely to be soaking any relevant Chill skills from proper super tanks since super tanks will almost always have higher Atk, Def, and Res than he does.

Even with the +2 permanent boost to all stats, he's 6 points short of matching Hrid's Atk and Def, 1 point short of matching Berkut's Atk, 5 points short of matching Berkut's Def, 4 points short of matching Berkut's Res, 4 points short of matching Conrad's Def, and 9 points short of matching Conrad's Res.

The only skill slot Corrin has that can further boost his stats in an attempt to soak Chill skills is his passive A slot because his Sacred Seal slot necessarily must be a Drive skill, and the best he can do is Fury 4 or Fortress Def/Res 3.

I don't know what you're on about, since Corrin checks the boxes for some of the most relevant tanks in AR. I have seen 0 hrid, 0 Conrad and 0 Berkut tanks so far myself, but even so, if Corrin isn't able to soak multple chills for them, Matilda and Clive most definitely won't.

+10/10 B!ike, of of the most used tanks in the current meta, can be supported by M!corrin and have either three stats soaked by Corrin alone, or all 4 when he is + atk and takes a +3 def seal. 

FEH-Unit-Builder-Corrin-M.png
FEH-Unit-Builder-Ike-Brave-Heroes.png

Mathilda and Clive cannot do this. Corrin is shown with a bonus of +2 atk and def to simulate a possible atk/def 2 sacred seal. Taking a + Atk nature and a +def 3 SS does the same. taking a drive means someone else needs to soak a chill from Ike, but if possible that opens the seal slot again. A unit that can soak a total of 28 stats worth of chills and also takes care of shrines is incredibly valuable. This is something only he can do, the other two cannot. B!Ike is just one example, but since he is such a prominent unit in AR right now, I felt this was a justified example. Corrin can do the same for DC/Null C Donnel, Nailah, Hawkeye(With Fury four and a Res boon). Corrin also has 61 Hp, which is huge, since it dodges all panic manors. He doesn't even need fury 4 for B!ike, though he is a great candidate for it. 

Corrin not being able to soak chills for super tanks is not true at all, he is in fact able to soak multiple, if not all whilst maintaining a high enough Hp to dodge max lvl panic manors. 

For armours it of course is a different story, they need to have team support from multiple units specialising in one stat. And neither Clive or Mathilda is soaking more than 1 chill for armours anyway.  

Edited by Vicious Sal

2 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

I don't know what you're on about, since Corrin checks the boxes for some of the most relevant tanks in AR. I have seen 0 hrid, 0 Conrad and 0 Berkut tanks so far myself, but even so, if Corrin isn't able to soak multple chills for them, Matilda and Clive most definitely won't.

+10/10 B!ike, of of the most used tanks in the current meta, can be supported by M!corrin and have either three stats soaked by Corrin alone, or all 4 when he is + atk and takes a +3 def seal. 

FEH-Unit-Builder-Corrin-M.png
FEH-Unit-Builder-Ike-Brave-Heroes.png

Mathilda and Clive cannot do this. Corrin is shown with a bonus of +2 atk and def to simulate a possible atk/def 2 sacred seal. Taking a + Atk nature and a +def 3 SS does the same. taking a drive means someone else needs to soak a chill from Ike, but if possible that opens the seal slot again. A unit that can soak a total of 28 stats worth of chills and also takes care of shrines is incredibly valuable. This is something only he can do, the other two cannot. B!Ike is just one example, but since he is such a prominent unit in AR right now, I felt this was a justified example. Corrin can do the same for DC/Null C Donnel, Nailah, Hawkeye(With Fury four and a Res boon). Corrin also has 61 Hp, which is huge, since it dodges all panic manors. He doesn't even need fury 4 for B!ike, though he is a great candidate for it. 

Corrin not being able to soak chills for super tanks is not true at all, he is in fact able to soak multiple, if not all whilst maintaining a high enough Hp to dodge max lvl panic manors. 

For armours it of course is a different story, they need to have team support from multiple units specialising in one stat. And neither Clive or Mathilda is soaking more than 1 chill for armours anyway.  

It's thanks to the fact his weapon gives him +2 flat to all stats, and he usually uses some kind of A Skill that boostes Flat Stats, like Fury 4

7 hours ago, Troykv said:

It's thanks to the fact his weapon gives him +2 flat to all stats, and he usually uses some kind of A Skill that boostes Flat Stats, like Fury 4

Yes, it is exactly because of those things that I was making my point that Corrin is a far superior support unit than Clive or Mathilda. Those are literally the arguments I used to show why he is so much better.

Clive's new prf weapon is everything I could've wanted for him: being even more useful as a red hard-counter for AA 🤩 Now he can kill Idunn/HMyrrh in addition to the normal reds I put him against.

15 hours ago, XRay said:

I believe you can get almost anyone to have 60/60/50/50/50 stat spread or higher. I think 50+ Def/Res is sufficient for practically anything excluding Infantry Pulse teams.

Okay, I've run the numbers, and you actually can reach those stats (even on Berkut) with literal maximum investment (including complementary Link skills on your support units), but that's also cutting it close with the Def and Res. It's also not just Infantry Pulse teams that you have to watch out against, though. Ophelia charges up without Infantry Pulse, is extremely common, and utterly shreds through units without high enough visible Res (a fully maxed out Ophelia without buffs or Mythic bonuses has 68 visible Atk), and I've been seeing a disturbingly large number of Picnic Flora recently that pretty much demolish anything on initiation due to Bold Fighter + Iceberg boosted by her default AR-D Atk/Res and high base Atk stat. I'm not entirely convinced 50-60 Def/Res is quite sufficient for the job at this point, even excluding Infantry Pulse teams.

15 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

I have seen 0 hrid, 0 Conrad and 0 Berkut tanks so far myself, but even so, if Corrin isn't able to soak multple chills for them, Matilda and Clive most definitely won't.

Whether or not Mathilda and Clive are capable of doing so isn't what's under scrutiny here. It's whether or not Corrin can do as you advertised.

So instead of waving your hands and saying "well if Corrin can't, then Mathilda and Clive certainly can't", which is irrelevant to the argument, how about giving proof that Corrin can actually soak enough Chills from the units I've indicated.

And whether or not you see them at all doesn't have any bearing on whether or not they are good. As @XRay kindly pointed out to me, with the amount of investment you've shown in your screenshots, you can very feasibly get any cavalry tank up to a super tank stat spread (though I'd still choose to drop Spd for more Def and Res).

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Okay, I've run the numbers, and you actually can reach those stats (even on Berkut) with literal maximum investment (including complementary Link skills on your support units), but that's also cutting it close with the Def and Res. It's also not just Infantry Pulse teams that you have to watch out against, though. Ophelia charges up without Infantry Pulse, is extremely common, and utterly shreds through units without high enough visible Res (a fully maxed out Ophelia without buffs or Mythic bonuses has 68 visible Atk), and I've been seeing a disturbingly large number of Picnic Flora recently that pretty much demolish anything on initiation due to Bold Fighter + Iceberg boosted by her default AR-D Atk/Res and high base Atk stat. I'm not entirely convinced 50-60 Def/Res is quite sufficient for the job at this point, even excluding Infantry Pulse teams.

I do not think you need Link Skills, and I am little hesitant on using bonus buffs due to Panic.

Berkut with +10+5, Summoner Support, 2 Eirs, and Berkut's Lance [Res] and Lull Atk/Spd can reach 69/56/29+3/39+3/45+10.
2 Clives (2 Goad Cavalry, Drive Spd, Drive Def) provides 15/18/10/7 combat buffs.
The total would be 69/74/50/52/62 (69/56+18/29+21/39+13/45+17).
Running Distant Def on top would take Berkut's Def/Res to 58/68 against ranged enemies.

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Berkut (5*+10)  
Weapon: Berkut's Lance+  
Special: Moonbow  
A: Distant Counter  
B: Lull Atk Spd 3  
C: Atk Smoke 3  
S: Distant Def 3  
Upgrade Path: 4