General Weapon Refinery discussion/speculation/creation thread

Corrobin

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/2/2021 at 8:51 AM, Naoshi said:

e45ibifon4381.png

Hm... it's only now occuring to me that Ophelia should have gotten a refine with the rest of her Nohrian Dusk allies, yet we're now coming up to the Adrift and Ylgr/Surtr refines and nothing...

Oh well. Guess she's in the same club as Reinhart/Olwen and Hector now. Fairs fair, the Missiletainn tome has been quite meta since it was first released and remains a top pick for AoE special triggers, still wondering where the hell Armads is.

15 hours ago, Xenomata said:

still wondering where the hell Armads is.

Obviously, Armad's Quick Riposte 2 is too strong, but Holy Gradivus' dual phase guaranteed follow-up with built in Distant Counter on a unit that has three times the movement and the same BST is too weak.

I think they will get to it eventually. Maybe they want to give Hector something bonkers like Meister Axe with dual phase guaranteed follow-up, Distant Counter, 99% damage reduction, Miracle, Galeforce, Aether, heal 100% of HP after combat, neutralize axe and armor weakness, Omni Save, warp to any enemy or ally, any ally can warp to any space within 2 spaces of him, and all Lilinas on the map have guaranteed follow-up with Desperation and deal an extra 100 damage before, during, and after combat.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, Naoshi said:

e45ibifon4381.png

I hope Aversa gets a sol effect on her weapon as a refine. Not only does Aversa's Night have a Nosferatu effect in game, but it would sync well with her current set up. As it is Aversa just kind of hangs around the back lines inflicting panic, but if she could keep her HP topped up while attacking, she could get into the action and attack (though sadly the unit will never be all that useful to me due to inflated enemy HP levels in non PvP modes).

Inviolable Axe

Base effect is -5 Atk/Spd/Def on opponent and +7 damage with a Blow-or-Unity condition.

Refine effect is -4 Atk/Spd/Def on opponent and heals 7 HP on unit and allies within 2 spaces, both effects if unit's HP is 25% or higher.

Libra didn't get a magic weapon effect, but he did get an HP recovery effect from my predictions.

The stats effectively give him +16/9/9/9, which is quite sizable. Compared to Annette (who has no combat effects on her weapon other than +3 permanent Atk) with both units having maximum Dragonflowers, Libra has +4/+10/+6/+10/+9, which is pretty ridiculous.

Summer's Breath

Base effect is upgraded to change the condition on the Breath effect from the Stance condition to Stance or if the opponent's HP is 75% or higher. Additionally, gains +4 to all stats with the same condition.

Refine effect is +4 to all stats and Moonlight Bangle's version of Luna (20% + 10% for each point of maximum cooldown) if unit is within 3 spaces of an ally.

Well, Moonlight Bangle definitely helps with her damage output, and she now has the Breath effect on player phase as well, letting her run Ignis to deal 80% of her own Def and 60% of the opponent's Res in damage if the opponent can counterattack and doesn't have Guard. Alternatively, Luna hits for 100% of the opponent's Res, and Sol behaves identically to Aether. Aether hits for 120% of the opponent's Res and heals 50% of the damage dealt.

+8 to all stats is nice. 34 Res with only her weapon equipped is pretty workable for Dragon Wall, considering Legendary Grima has 35 Res with only her weapon and A skill equipped and is capable of making it work.

Wolf Queen Fang

Base effect's Form effect is changed to +5 Atk/Spd if unit is within 3 spaces of an ally or if the opponent's HP is 75% or higher. If both, also inflicts -5 Atk/Def on the opponent.

The infantry beast common effect is upgraded to nullify Guard against the unit and nullify Special charge rate bonuses on the opponent, but the Wo Dao effect is reduced from +10 damage to +7 damage.

The refine effect grants Canto [Rem. +1] when transformed and +4 to all stats and heals 7 HP every time unit attacks, both latter effects if unit's HP is 25% or higher.

I'm surprised they upgraded the common effect. That's pretty big, and I assume all future infantry beasts will receive the same upgrade with their refines, given that Ash also has this effect.

The weapon grants a total effective +14/9/9/9, which is a lot, though this only brings Nailah's effective Res up to 32, which is still not great for Null C-Disrupt builds.

That said, given that she now gains Canto, it looks like they might be abandoning her enemy-phase role and want to give her more presence on player phase, which makes much better use of Glare.

Wolf Berg

Base effect has its condition changed to Blow-or-Solo. Additionally, gains "Spectrum Menace", but only grants bonuses and doesn't inflict penalties.

Refine effect inflicts -7 Atk/Def and Flash on all opponents within 4 spaces at the beginning of the turn. Also inflicts -5 Atk/Def if the opponent's HP is 75% or higher.

Um... what? That's a free +6/6/6/6 if there are any enemies within 4 spaces and -7 Atk/Def and Flash on all enemies within 4 spaces. Holy shit.

Um... holy shit.

That's a total of +18/6/18/18.

Thokk

Base effect is upgraded to inflict Gravity and -7 Res against ranged units with Panic Ploy 3's range and condition and Stall and -7 Atk against melee units with the same range and condition.

Refine effect inflicts Guard on the enemies with the lowest Spd and splashes to adjacent enemies. Additionally, grants +4 Atk/Spd if unit's HP is 25% or higher.

I called it with the Stall against melee units. Unfortunately, she doesn't get improved range, which is a bummer.

Not really sure what to think. On the on hand, that's a ton of debuffs, and the condition was relaxed from Panic Ploy 2 to Panic Ploy 3. On the other hand, the range on the movement debuffs is still not particularly reliable, and the debuffs themselves are still not as strong as Gjallarbru's Isolation.

Overall thoughts

Walhart and Tiki have really good refines. Walhart inflicting Flash on all enemies within 4 spaces sounds like it'll be a pain to deal with. Tiki can now properly run dual phase and covers for her lower Atk with very hard-hitting Specials.

Nailah's looks pretty solid, but requires a complete rework of her skills to go player phase instead. Libra's gives him a mountain of stats to compete with more recent units, putting him roughly halfway between Annette and Charlotte.

Loki's movement debuffs still seem a bit too unreliable, but the Guard debuff could be nice. Still feels like the weakest of the batch, though.

1 hour ago, Florete said:
Nutty set of refines this month. How the hell did a grail unit manage to get such a crazy refine?

VEGETABLES.

• ...well that's disappointing. The trigger area of Thokk was basically untouched. I was kinda right about Stall Ploy being added to her effects, didn't call the additional debuffs, but that was never really an issue, the issue with Loki's Thokk was the demand that her HP be higher than the enemy when Loki is not known for having great HP to begin with. The issue is... kinda resolved I guess? Not greatly though...
    The refine effect is slightly disappointing in the trigger range, but is otherwise a good effect, especially considering units with low Spd tend to also be packing Special Acceleration effects (though the effect of disabling Guard is becoming a little more common...) Basically brings Loki to being a major debuffing force. Also some extra Atk/Spd, just as expected.
  • Wolf Queen Fang's original base effect was an Atk/Spd boost equal to 2 x number of allies within 2 spaces of Nailah. That means it technically lost one point of Atk/Spd in favor of more leniant trigger conditions AND a bonus effect if both trigger conditions are in effect. That's nifty.
    The refine is... disappointing. Healing with every hit works on defensive units because they have the bulk to withstand hits and basically negate all incoming damage (in some cases having a net gain of HP as a result) Nailah, on the other hand, is not quite as bulky...
  • Libra will, in total, inflict Atk/Spd/Def -8 on the foe, gets +7 true damage, and also... sigh, just give us Breath of Life 4 already... AND ALSO recovers 7 HP to himself and allies within 2 spaces after combat. That's neat. Does it save him as a frankly bad unit? He is certainly a lot better now, yes.
  • Summer Tiki getting all stat +8 and additional special damage based on foes Res is nifty. The special damage in question has a minimum of 40% of foes Res (based off Moonbow) and a maximum of 70% (based off Aether), with Astra being 60% (Astra being likely to trigger on Tiki's theoretical follow-up attack, especially assuming she packs Dragon's Ire)
    I... honestly don't have an opinion here. I feel like she needed Iotes Shield a lot more than extra damage, but the extra damage isn't bad.

WALHART. Ah yes, the one I was most looking forward to, basically becomes a maximum Menace skill in giant red armor.
ANY FOES WITHIN 4 SPACES (aka Walhart's effective area of attack) grants Walhart all stat +6, and with the refine inflicts Atk/Def -7 AND FLASH DEBUFF on the foe. That is flatout better than the existing Atk/Def Menace.
Wolf Berg's original effect has been changed to a Blow/Solo trigger, and in addition he will inflict Atk/Def -5 on the foe if they happen to be healthy? The only disappointing part about this refine is that he doesn't have a guaranteed follow-up attack, but frankly who cares when he has such a good debuff accessible to him?

EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!

Loki > Walhart > Nailah > Tiki > Libra imo.

Thokk is going to dismantle a lot of teams. Movement +1 is getting increasingly more common, which makes the Stall effect all the more valuable. The HP condition is a non-issue, as units with movement buffs typically aren't HP stacking. The Guard chill/sabotage is amazing for AR-O and still pretty good for AR-D. It's also the least prone of all these refines to being powercrept.

Great effects with a lot more support than I expected for Wolf Berg but many players will be able to play around it. The buffs are (as usual) nothing to Lulls and Panic, while player phase teams won't care about those or the flash effect. I expect people to try him on AR-D but take him off when he doesn't actually work that well, but some will continue to see value with him in AR-O and Arena.

Wolf Queen Fang alongside Glare will make Nailah amazing with Safety Fence and Galeforce strats. Downsides being that she needs to transform and the HP restoration will ironically work against WoM strats.

Summer's Breath might actually be better than I'm giving it right now. I'll need to see it in action. For now I feel like there are too many options players can use to not worry about it, but it clearly has a lot of potential power.

Inviolable Axe being at the bottom just to goes to show how strong the batch is, because it's still pretty good, it just doesn't stand out the way the others do. It's a bit basic by today's standards.

21 minutes ago, Florete said:

Thokk is going to dismantle a lot of teams. Movement +1 is getting increasingly more common, which makes the Stall effect all the more valuable. The HP condition is a non-issue, as units with movement buffs typically aren't HP stacking. The Guard chill/sabotage is amazing for AR-O and still pretty good for AR-D. It's also the least prone of all these refines to being powercrept.

The problem with Gravity and Stall is that while Movement +1 is becoming more common, most Aether Raids teams have two dancers, and all debuffs are cleared as soon as the unit ends their turn the first time. Additionally, there are also more teams that can simply teleport due to how common Duo Catria has become. which bypasses both debuffs entirely.

Add to that the fact that the target area is still Ploy and not Valflame, and I don't really see the movement effects being all that strong in Aether Raids.

Isolation can get away with Ploy targeting due to how strong it is and the fact that you typically only need to target one of two specific units on the enemy team with it, but I don't really think Gravity and Stall will make that big of a difference.

Oh wow. I was hoping Whalhart would get some kind of armour support to refeeence his armour knight status. But I really can't complain with what he did get. I know where my grails will be going. Is he the best axe cavalry in the game now? I do t think he has much competition  outside of Plegian Morgan.

Naga damned sure fuck me real silly! Walhart is amazing for Arena Assault. And for Aether Raids on Astra season, if we use the best Save armors so we do not have to use Flayn, and use Walhart, Catria: Azure Wing Pair, and Thórr as supports instead, the whole formation becomes a really strong dual phase blob.

Loki is good. I do not think it would have been too bonkers if Thokk applies Stall, Gravity, and Isolation all at the same time on all cardinal direction units, but it is good enough. I am not sure Loki is going to make a huge impact in Aether Raids offensive since she does not have Arvis' or Sias' super ploy and people can just use Nótt to increase mobility or just plain old Dancers/Singers rather than Sigurd: Fated Holy Knight. I think it is better to just save Orbs for Leif: Destined Scion instead for an easy to use Galeforce team to take down cav lines.

Nailah, Tiki: Summering Scion, and Libra are a lot more dual phase and flexible now. I think Nailah is the best out of this bunch with just a sheer amount of effects.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Inviolable Axe

Base effect is -5 Atk/Spd/Def on opponent and +7 damage with a Blow-or-Unity condition.

Refine effect is -4 Atk/Spd/Def on opponent and heals 7 HP on unit and allies within 2 spaces, both effects if unit's HP is 25% or higher.

Libra didn't get a magic weapon effect, but he did get an HP recovery effect from my predictions.

The stats effectively give him +16/9/9/9, which is quite sizable. Compared to Annette (who has no combat effects on her weapon other than +3 permanent Atk) with both units having maximum Dragonflowers, Libra has +4/+10/+6/+10/+9, which is pretty ridiculous.

Annette has one other combat effect -  adaptive damage.

Edited by Othin

Hey quick question, can Threaten/Menace effects trigger in Pawns of Loki?

If they can, then Walhart would be able to inflict Atk/Def -7 and Flash on the ENTIRE enemy team if positioned correctly.
If not... oh well, woulda been completely broken if it were the case.

Also on the topic of Walhart, I think his best skill now would be Catch skills. Since the trigger range of refined Wolf Berg is 4 tiles, which is his move/attack range, he is pretty much guaranteed to be attacking a foe with a penalty assuming he isn't Danced into battle. The enemy is also unlikely to be touched when they enter his range (outside of the support of units like Duma or Fallen Takumi), so he would get the full +9 to two stats from attacking an enemy with a Penalty and 100% HP.

He could also be Speed stacked.

1. At +10 merge with a Spd asset (no dragonflowers), Walhart has 34 Spd.
  2. From Wolf Berg's solo effect, he hits 38 Spd. From the field buff if an enemy is within 4 spaces of him, he hits 44 Spd.
  3. If you give him Atk/Spd Catch 4, he hits 53 Spd.
  4. If he has a Lull or Near Trace skill that lowers the enemies Spd, he now has an effective 56 Spd.
  5. Assuming you give him Atk/Spd Solo 3 SS, he now hits 62 Spd.

62 Spd is not at all bad (though at +10 I'm sure many enemy units will be FAR faster), and hey if you wanna have some fun you could give him Bonus Doubler support from LegEliwood or Astrid and bump his Spd up to 68.

Edited by Xenomata

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Hey quick question, can Threaten/Menace effects trigger in Pawns of Loki?

If they can, then Walhart would be able to inflict Atk/Def -7 and Flash on the ENTIRE enemy team if positioned correctly.
If not... oh well, woulda been completely broken if it were the case.

Also on the topic of Walhart, I think his best skill now would be Catch skills. Since the trigger range of refined Wolf Berg is 4 tiles, which is his move/attack range, he is pretty much guaranteed to be attacking a foe with a penalty assuming he isn't Danced into battle. The enemy is also unlikely to be touched when they enter his range (outside of the support of units like Duma or Fallen Takumi), so he would get the full +9 to two stats from attacking an enemy with a Penalty and 100% HP.

He could also be Speed stacked.

1. At +10 merge with a Spd asset (no dragonflowers), Walhart has 34 Spd.
  2. From Wolf Berg's solo effect, he hits 38 Spd. From the field buff if an enemy is within 4 spaces of him, he hits 44 Spd.
  3. If you give him Atk/Spd Catch 4, he hits 53 Spd.
  4. If he has a Lull or Near Trace skill that lowers the enemies Spd, he now has an effective 56 Spd.
  5. Assuming you give him Atk/Spd Solo 3 SS, he now hits 62 Spd.

62 Spd is not at all bad (though at +10 I'm sure many enemy units will be FAR faster), and hey if you wanna have some fun you could give him Bonus Doubler support from LegEliwood or Astrid and bump his Spd up to 68.

Walhart in one of the two middle spots is within 4 spaces from 7 enemies, but one is out of his range.

• 4 weeks later...

New refines have been announced:

Canas gets Ancient Codex.

Silas gets Sworn Lance.

Legendary Lucina and Legendary Eirika are getting refines at the same time as their remixes.

Both Adrift Corrins are getting a refine, presumably the same refine since they have the same weapon.

Halloween Myrrh is this month's Special Hero refine.

Quick translation things:

Ancient Codex is "古代魔道の稀書", (kodai madō no kisho), "Rare Tome of Ancient Magic".

Sword Lance is "騎士の誓いの槍", (kishi no chikai no yari), "Lance of the Knight's Oath".

I'll post my predictions in a separate post.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Hopes and predictions:

Ancient Codex

Canas has Raudhrowl by default.

The Litrowl effect is really outdated at this point, so I doubt Ancient Codex will have that as its base effect. If the base effect retains influence from Raudhrowl, it'll probably be either a fixed effect if there is an ally within 2 or 3 spaces or a Form-like effect.

Canas is a pretty unextraordinary red tome unit with literally no good stats going for him, so it's hard to really guess what kind of effect they'll give him. As he was the only unit capable of using dark magic in his original game (beside Athos), it would be cool if he got an effect that references one (or more) of the GBA-era dark magic effects. (Eclipse would be amazing, but also hilariously broken.)

The weapon sprite has the look of a GBA-era dark tome, but it doesn't match up with any of the original weapon sprites.

Sworn Lance

Silas has Slaying Spear by default.

Sworn Lance will probably retain Slaying Spear's base effect of effective damage against armor, and unlike older weapons, they definitely won't leave that as its only base effect.

Silas's stat spread gives him good Atk and Def and poor Spd and Res, which is pretty typical of bulky cavalry. If they go player phase with him, he absolutely needs a guaranteed follow-up, and it would be nice to also give him Flow to block Wary Fighter since his weapon is effective against armor. However, it's probably more likely they'll go enemy phase with him, and it would be cool to give him something like Steady Breath since cavalry don't have access to it normally.

Storm Sieglinde

Storm Sieglinde's base effect is +3 Def/Res and the Blade effect, both if there are as least as many enemies as allies within 2 spaces, and a permanent +3 Atk.

Eirika is getting Lunar Brace II from her remix, which gives her Null Follow-Up 3, Canto [2], and half of a Moonbow on every attack.

It looks to me like they're trying to make her more compatible with Galeforce, like Legendary Ephraim, by making her Brace effect no longer require Special activation, and her weapon's Blade effect allows her to activate Galeforce in one round of combat if she doubles and the opponent can counterattack.

The unit comparison condition, like all previous refines with this condition, is definitely going to be replaced with a Blow-or-Solo condition instead. They'll probably also upgrade the effect from +3 Def/Res to grant more stats, probably either +3 to all stats or +4 to Def/Res, as Ephraim gets +4 Atk/Def as his base effect.

I'm expecting her to get a refine effect that nullifies Guard since Ephraim gets the effect from Solar Brace II and otherwise has parity with Eirika's skill effects. I also expect Eirika to inflict -5 Atk/Spd in combat to mirror Ephraim inflicting -5 Atk/Def.

Spirit Breath

Spirit Breath's base effect is a guaranteed follow-up on player phase if Myrrh's Def is at least 5 greater than her opponent's and a permanent +3 Def.

It's been rather difficult for quite a long time now to successfully activate her guaranteed follow-up against most bulkier units, so it would be nice if the condition is made a lot more lenient, as she's unable to run a player-phase Def boost at the same time as running Distant Counter, and we've had much more reliable dual-phase armors since forever, like Brave Hector and Brave Ephraim. I ended up replacing Spirit Breath with Lightning Breath at least a year ago since Spirit Breath's player-phase effect was too unreliable, and Lightning Breath grants more bulk at the cost of Atk.

The other units on her banner all have the Guard effect on their weapons, so it would be nice if Myrrh got the same. Wishful thinking would have it also grant the full Melancholy effect after combat to make it much more unique, given Witchy Wand was also introduced on the same banner.

Thogn

Thogn's base effect is +4 to all stats if the opponent is melee and a permanent +3 Spd.

Lucina is getting Future Vision II from her remix, which inflicts -7 Atk/Def to the closest enemy within 4 spaces of both her and her target on use.

I would not at all be surprised if they straight-up give her Dominance to capitalize on Future Vision's debuffing effect, though it's more likely that they'll go with something a bit more tame, like Penalty Doubler or something similar.

It's worth noting that all of the more recent Legendary/Mythic bow units (Claude, Ulir, and Lyn) have gotten a survivability effect on their exclusive skill (Claude has damage reduction, Ulir has Desperation with no condition, and Lyn has Sweep for melee opponents), whereas Lucina only has a more rudimentary Atk debuff, so I'm expecting something a bit more substantial from her weapon refine, especially if they want us to stop putting Desperation on literally everything.

Draconic Rage

Draconic Rage's base effect is +5 Atk/Spd if there are at least as many allies as enemy within 2 spaces and the Slaying effect.

The unit comparison condition is definitely being replaced with a Blow-or-Unity condition.

Besides having one of the few dragon weapons that has the Slaying effect, there isn't really much that set the Adrift Corrins apart from other fast dragons. They're basically just weaker versions of their fallen versions, but want allies nearby instead of not. Both of them have pretty underwhelming Res stats and therefore don't run Dragon Wall particularly well, so it would be nice to get a different type of damage reduction as a reference to Negating Fang, but other than that, there isn't much to really go off of in terms of predictions.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Canas is a pretty unextraordinary red tome unit with literally no good stats going for him, so it's hard to really guess what kind of effect they'll give him. As he was the only unit capable of using dark magic in his original game (beside Athos), it would be cool if he got an effect that references one (or more) of the GBA-era dark magic effects. (Eclipse would be amazing, but also hilariously broken.)

One way an Eclipse effect could work is something like "After combat, if unit's Special triggered before or during combat, deals damage equal to 50% of foe's current HP."

Or without even requiring the Special, honestly. Depends on the other effects but Poison Strike variants aren't very strong.

Edited by Othin

I don't wanna try and think about every single refine, just the ones I'm interested in. If the others are great, then great! But that has yet to be seen, so...

• Myrrh's Spooky Breath: Make it dual-phase and give it a less strict trigger condition like regular Myrrh's weapon, and that already fixes a good majority of Spooky Myrrh's issues.
    I can't predict what other effects they would want to give Myrrh. Maybe they'll give her enemy follow-up denial since that's not an effect that can be granted by most Fighter skills. An Atk/Def boost seems very much on the table (or Atk/Def penalty for the enemy, whichever works best).
  • Legendary Lucina's Thogn: Change from Melee targets to a Blow effect. If you really wanna continue crippling Melee enemies, give her a melee-only sweep effect.
    I wonder if they'd want to give her some sort of extra damage boost like what Swift Mulagir got?
  • Draconic Rage will most likely drop the requirement of comparing nearby allies to nearby enemies and just make it a flat boost as long as someone is near the Corrins. If any other effects are added... nah, they wouldn't do that. Maybe update the Atk/Spd boost to a full Atk/Spd/Def/Res boost.
    As to what would benefit both Corrins, a spectrum boost is definitely on the table (perhaps with a Foes HP above 75% requirement) and maybe the disabling of enemy special acceleration and Guard effects? Adding on Dragon's Wrath would be an awesome addition. What would also really be nice would be if they also got NFU. I know one of the Corrins already has NFU by default, but it would still open up the B slot for even more skills.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I would not at all be surprised if they straight-up give her Dominance to capitalize on Future Vision's debuffing effect, though it's more likely that they'll go with something a bit more tame, like Penalty Doubler or something similar.

That is all I want for Christmas New Years.

- - - - - - -

Canto on Lunar Brace is already pretty good for me, so I as long as the Refine is not like a joke, I will be happy with anything.

If they want the Corrins to be more unique, I think they should get Galeforce on their Weapon.

For Silas, I think he should at least get dual phase follow-up with Null Follow-Up, at least against armor units.

15 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Maybe they'll give her enemy follow-up denial since that's not an effect that can be granted by most Fighter skills. An Atk/Def boost seems very much on the table (or Atk/Def penalty for the enemy, whichever works best)

She was a Forma Unit a while back that I still hate that I didn't get so maybe she'll get something that synergizes with a Save build? I like your Sweep idea for Lucina too, since that frees up her B Slot for a Link or other movement assist-centric Skill (or Desperation or something, of course).