General Weapon Refinery discussion/speculation/creation thread

Corrobin

Any hopes for May's batch? I'm personally holding out hope for Mathilda to get something special since she's so hopelessly far behind Perry atm. Another thought I had was giving the remaining tactics refines (Atk and Def)  to Jaegan and Gunther respectively since I'd made alot of since thematically and its not like those two are world beaters combat wise so they'd be fine using gem weapons.

Other people to look out for might be OG Azura and Ninian since they're old 5 stars who could use some love. One also has to wonder when they'll start looking at units with non launch era BST in earnest. Amelia is an interesting case as she was technically a gen 1 trainee, but we haven't seen a pure gen 2 unit (correct me if I'm wrong) get any love so far. And lord knows people like Rhajat and Shiro could use some love.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A newly given dagger since Felicia and finally a staff unit getting a new staff. I don't care how broken or bad it is, I just want to see a new staff. It could even be as simple as Elise getting a personal Gravity staff, Lucius getting a personal Pain staff, or Serra getting a personal Absorb. Just to be evil, someone should get a personal Gravity+Pain staff.

Also, Boey and Mae should totally get personal -owl tomes where their effects are "During combat, boosts unit's Def/Res by number of allies within 2 spaces × 2.(Maximum bonus of +6 to each stat.)" for Boey and "During combat, boosts unit's Atk/Spd by number of allies within 2 spaces × 2.(Maximum bonus of +6 to each stat.)" for Mae. Let's have Boey be unkillable and Mae a destructive bolt of lightning. Her tome should also be called "BHL".

2 hours ago, colossus86 said:

and Shiro could use some love.

Especially considering that they now released a refinable, inheritable version of his weapon. Seems like he won't be long for a refinement.

Edited by bottlegnomes

While Bright Naginata could do with a refine, I'd hate to see it get bumped up in the queue ahead of launch units who need it even more. Sure, it's beaten by an inheritable weapon, but it's a very rare inheritable weapon, and the gain is simply 5 HP (at the cost of 50 stones). There are still dozens of units worse off than Shiro is.

If they're continuing to insist on no refines for Gem/Raven weapons, then the units still stuck with them should surely be at the front of the queue. Then anyone with just silver weapons.

P.S. I personally don't believe Prfs should be strictly more powerful than generic weapons. They should have more novel effects perhaps, while generics can be a bit more, well, generic. I think it's a good thing for the balance of the game when people sometimes replace Prfs like Expiration or Ayra's Blade with generics because it demonstrates that they're fairly balanced against each other.

Some ideas for a few of the low end GHB units, since in some cases these guys have been powercrept by other free options or multiple units available at 3 star:

Legion- Devil Axe

Base: Panic+

Refine: Fury 3

IS seems to like giving Fury refines to those with Fury in their base kits, and it works well here. In addition to the build versatility Legion could make an interesting arena option with a Wind-sweep build. Currently there's no real reason to pick Legion over Linus other than the former having more available free copies.

Clarisse- Midnight

Base: Same as a refined Clarisse bow

Refine: When initiating, inflict special CD charge -1 on foe

Clarisse lacks the raw offense to be a worthwhile investment for traditional archer builds due to lack of IVs and just being an old unit. With this she can settle into a utility role were she can apply debuffs/chip while not charging her opponents specials

Berkut- Kriemhild

Base: +7 Res when foe initiates

Refine: If foe initiates combat inflict special CD charge -1

Berkut is a slow, mixed bulk (at least when using his namesake) Cav who leans on a decent 34 Atk and QR to deal damage. Since he has no ways to prevent follow ups, disrupting their specials will go a long way for his survivability. It's worth saying that Burkut's in a worse spot than ever with Silas being available at 3 star

Ursula- Assassin's Bolt

Base: Mirror Strike 2

Refine:If a penalty inflicted by a skill like Panic or Threaten and/or a negative status effect (preventing counterattacks or restricting movement) is active on foe, inflict Spd/Res -4 on foe during combat

I know some people have been asking for Ursula to get Bolting, but I don't see IS adding siege tomes if they're going to be firesweep weapons like many expect. And they sure as hell wouldn't give one to a free unit. This gives Ursula a respectable alternative to Blarblade, and the refine effect is a reference to her disdain for weakness.

Some other lower priority refines that I think would be nice

Arvis: if foe is debuffed, inflict Atk/Res -4 during combat

Saias: give him an Owl refine to fit in with his Tactician friends

Lyon: If unit has a visible buff (since that's the Grado thing apparently) Grants Atk/Res +5 during combat

It's also worth noting that no TT unit has ever received any love from the refinery either.

She probably doesn't need a refine but I would like to see Cordelia get one. If Cherche can get a prf despite not really needing one than Cordelia should get one too whether it's Lance Amiti or something else unique. Don't really want to spend feathers to give her Slaying or Firesweep Lance and Brave Lance is starting to show its age at times.

Otherwise I would like to start seeing some staff prfs, specifically for Elise, Sakura and Lissa. Marisa is another unit I want to see get a prf weapons but I don't think they are going to start on gen 2 units yet. Other units I could see getting a prf are Boey, Mae, F!Corrin and Frederick.

Edited by NSSKG151

1 hour ago, colossus86 said:

Berkut- Kriemhild

Base: +7 Res when foe initiates

Refine: If foe initiates combat inflict special CD charge -1

Berkut is a slow, mixed bulk (at least when using his namesake) Cav who leans on a decent 34 Atk and QR to deal damage. Since he has no ways to prevent follow ups, disrupting their specials will go a long way for his survivability. It's worth saying that Burkut's in a worse spot than ever with Silas being available at 3 star

I feel like this is still just worse or maybe a sidegrade of Berkut's Lance. With the lance, he gets +2 HP and +4 def or res in exchange for -2 mt and the EP guard effect. If he wants the guard effect, he can either run guard itself and take the QR seal or run Steady Stance 4 and take the DD/CD/Fierce Stance seal.

1 hour ago, colossus86 said:

Saias: give him an Owl refine to fit in with his Tactician friends

Please, no. If they're going to steal something from Robin, make it the tactics part, though preferably just as one +6 buff for Azura shenanigans.

Edited by bottlegnomes

7 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I think it's a good thing for the balance of the game when people sometimes replace Prfs like Expiration or Ayra's Blade with generics because it demonstrates that they're fairly balanced against each other.

No, that just means the Slaying weapon effect is just stupidly strong. -1 cooldown is almost always better than +1 charge rate for low-cooldown Special skills. (Pretty much the only time it's not true is if the opponent has a skill with Guard's effect and you don't have Wrath or Special Spiral activated.)

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

No, that just means the Slaying weapon effect is just stupidly strong. -1 cooldown is almost always better than +1 charge rate for low-cooldown Special skills. (Pretty much the only time it's not true is if the opponent has a skill with Guard's effect and you don't have Wrath or Special Spiral activated.)

Hopefully they make Slaying versions of all weapon types then. :D

Seems a liiittttle late to be giving Faye a personal weapon to replace her extremely ill-suited Firesweep Bow. The TT will be over by the time that update drops. I wonder if Stahl and Sully's weapons will just mirror the effects of Cain and Abel's weapon effects. Sully with a brave weapon can't be all that threatening even with her attack superboon when it brings her up to 29. Stahl might get a big boost though if it's the same Atk/Def boost that the Panther Lance provides. Stahl's physical bulk is already pretty good for a cavalry. Alternatively these two weapons may not have the Brave effect simply because Stahl and Sully are gem weapon users, unlike Cain and Abel. So they may just be improved gem weapons. Lukas is also probably fine with whatever. I feel like he's near top of the line for infantry lances already, especially when it comes to F2P players that can reach a max merge easily and with an optimal boon.

I think IS know that I've been weighing up Oscar vs Cordelia vs Shigure for my +10 lance slot and thus have determined to not any give them refines until the second I bequeath one of them a 5* exclusive weapon. I very much doubt Sully's refine will let her catch up to Oscar/Roderick/Abel, and Stahl's refine needs to be something special for me to pick him over Ares. So screw it - in the likely occurrence of me hitting 200k feathers this month, I'll give them all to Cherche instead.

Given how often I forget Sully and Stahl exist, this is probably a good move. I wonder if they're going to take a supportive angle with Fae's weapon with the whole "Devotion" thing. Lukas didn't really need a new weapon with multiple viable builds already available. Gray or Mathilda would have been a better pick for a SoV rep

Not exactly my favorite units but it's nice seeing Lukas there. I wonder how he'll further make Shiro redundant. 

Please give Faye's bow Swordbreaker and Red Tomebreaker; people will only fodder her for her Firesweep Bow anyway; might as well go full meme.

Weapon refinery update weapons of the same type are never the same. Different types might have the same effect, but only if different. I don't think we'll get atk/def horse bond, but will maybe see horse bond brave effect. My guess is that the initial effect will be TA.

Still no Athena, Beruka or Selena...ouch. Glad for Lucas though. I will take a look at him and Sully. I had saved up Sullys just in case..but before that I would like to merge Camus..

Edited by Stroud

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Please give Faye's bow Swordbreaker and Red Tomebreaker; people will only fodder her for her Firesweep Bow anyway; might as well go full meme.

Scarletbreaker
In combat against a red foe, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack and foe cannot counterattack or make a follow-up attack.
Refine
If a sword ally is adjacent to red tome ally on the team, in combat against foes, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack and foe cannot counterattack or make a follow-up attack, and unit's Special will always activate.

Watch Faye go full out yandere mode with Blazing/Glacies/Aether spam!

Was going to give regular Lukas his seasonal counterpart's lance, but I'll hold off until I see his new personal weapon's effect. "Daybreak" makes me think it could have built-in healing the same way Legendary Alm's Luna Arc has built-in defense cutting.

Can't complain about Faye getting a refine after I spent so many stones/SP, when I did it so long ago and she's served me well all this time.

6 hours ago, redlight said:

It's gonna be gem weapons, isn't it...

Gem weapons with Obstruct 3 as the unique refinement even though Stahl already has it by default. :p

If they're just copies of Bull Blade and Panther Lance, then that wouldn't be good. Sully's base attack is significantly lower than Abel's and Cain's while Stahl's speed is significantly lower than Abel's and Cain's. If they're the Whitewing Blade equivalent where the base effect is T-Adept instead of the Atk/Def+6 max when 2 spaces within axe, lance, or sword cavalry, then it would be a bit more unique relative to their inspirations. If anything, it could make Stahl another easy Surtr killer.

I'm going to say Sully's Lance will be a personal Sapphire Lance with Atk or Def Tactic since we don't have a lance cavalry to complete the gem weapon and tactics buff triangle and Stahl will get a personal Ruby Sword with Panic Ploy because his HP is one standout thing about him. Alternatively, Sully gets the Seth treatment while Stahl gets the Hinata treatment and gets Sturdy Stance 2 as the base effect and no HP requirement Guard or something because why not.

Faye with a personal Guard Bow would be hilarious.

Edited by Kaden

I'm shocked Stahl and Sully get refines before Frederick does. Not really fair to him when he's their superior.

But the weapons being named after Cain and Abel is cool, I admit.

Also, Faye gets a refine right after I built her up with Guard Bow through the TT. Man, what bum timing. >_<

Lukas though, yay!