Xander Appreciation Thread

MoonRose

Hi. :) Out of all the Nohrian Royals, Prince Xander is far and beyond my favorite, Leo coming in at a close second. I've noticed that Xander gets slammed a lot, particularly his Birthright version, and that may be a product of the game's writing (totally understandable, considering some Supports are excellent while others are ridiculous), but to me he feels like someone trapped in a fatally abusive relationship. Brainwashed into believing that whatever King Garon says, does, eats or drinks is right, no matter what the cost. Anyone that goes against that notion, even beloved Corrin, deserves to die. Hence a Birthright chapter I will not talk about.

Xander seems like a very gentle, caring person outside of his prince persona, the persona raised by Garon to be a blind killing machine.

Please prove to me that there are Fates fans that appreciate Xander with me. :) Preferably from a character standpoint.

I really enjoyed Xander - he looks the best of all the royals to me (though Leo won me over with his personality). I will say I much prefer him from the supports, where he's capable of being his own person, than from the story when some of his actions seem very odd. 

I like Xander even if he's flaws. He successfully conveys a person who's dignified and intimidating but him having been very shy in his youth and him being a family man add some depth to him as well.  Xander is one of those Fates characters who really deserved a better script.

But I think Xander is treated somewhat unfairly by the fanbase. The main point of criticism are his Camus tendencies but those seem to be held against Xander far more then they are against other characters of the archtype. Garon may be uniquely terrible but are the other other lords the Camus's serve really any better? Camus serves a dragon out to overthrow humanity at the behest of a scumbag king who sells his off kids, Elthan stubbornly serves a king who tried to kill him for no reason and all the other lords that the Camus insist they stay loyal to aren't any better. Along with Selena Xander may actually be one of the more justifiable of the bunch. 

4 hours ago, MoonRose said:

he feels like someone trapped in a fatally abusive relationship. Brainwashed into believing that whatever King Garon says, does, eats or drinks is right, no matter what the cost.

He's pretty good, even though he obviously, as MoonRose said, sports some high grade mental brainwashing. Heck, that thing was probably scrubbed so hard, it puts any ol' clear glass to shame. He obviously though is breaking through it, especially in his revelation appearance, where he literally throws everything Garon tells him out the window just to jump off a cliff with Corrin and kill a dragon. Plus, he is easily the best looking out of many of the Fates characters, hence the "I never thought I could find another prince more handsome than Chrom" memes.

I like Xander a lot and interestingly is more fatherly when recruiting Siegbert than Ryoma (who share similar character traits to Xander) does when recruiting Shiro. And I appreciated that, where despite how stern Xander seems most of the time. He still acted like one would expect a father to when going to visit their son whom they haven't seen in a long time.

Xander is really good written character tbh, Its just that the story writers didn't follow his character and just made him be whoever the scene called for. I would like to share this video form Ghast Station that perfectly outlines xanders supports and shows that it was fates writing the lowered his quality, bot the character himself.

It is quite lengthy but It's a good watch! (also there is a part two after this one)

3 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I really enjoyed Xander - he looks the best of all the royals to me (though Leo won me over with his personality). I will say I much prefer him from the supports, where he's capable of being his own person, than from the story when some of his actions seem very odd. 

I don't yet own Revelations, so I can't be treated to Xander meeting anyone from Hoshido yet, but he's part of what makes Conquest the more comforting option to play. From your response and others, I can tell Xander really develops beautifully during his support conversations. Which one would you say is the best?

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I like Xander even if he's flaws. He successfully conveys a person who's dignified and intimidating but him having been very shy in his youth and him being a family man add some depth to him as well.  Xander is one of those Fates characters who really deserved a better script.

But I think Xander is treated somewhat unfairly by the fanbase. The main point of criticism are his Camus tendencies but those seem to be held against Xander far more then they are against other characters of the archtype. Garon may be uniquely terrible but are the other other lords the Camus's serve really any better? Camus serves a dragon out to overthrow humanity at the behest of a scumbag king who sells his off kids, Elthan stubbornly serves a king who tried to kill him for no reason and all the other lords that the Camus insist they stay loyal to aren't any better. Along with Selena Xander may actually be one of the more justifiable of the bunch. 

Thank you for saying such things. I agree with you on Xander being treated unfairly, and definitely deserved a much better script (especially in Birthright cough cough hack wheeze). A lot of Fates players point out missed potential with Camilla, but there was a lot of untapped potential in Xander as well. With deeper digging into his background, and with him having Garon as a father, he really could have been brought to life in a way that would have made me and others love him about 10,000 times more.

You made me remember reading about Xander not being at all talented in anything during his childhood. That alone makes me want to hug him and ship him with a guy/girl that will just treat him like the cutest little poodle. I mean, not feeling like you're good at anything? And with Garon as a father? Can we say 'ew'?

2 hours ago, FatesIsaGudGame said:

He's pretty good, even though he obviously, as MoonRose said, sports some high grade mental brainwashing. Heck, that thing was probably scrubbed so hard, it puts any ol' clear glass to shame. He obviously though is breaking through it, especially in his revelation appearance, where he literally throws everything Garon tells him out the window just to jump off a cliff with Corrin and kill a dragon. Plus, he is easily the best looking out of many of the Fates characters, hence the "I never thought I could find another prince more handsome than Chrom" memes.

Yes yes yes yes to Xander being an incredibly attractive beauty. Cue wild applause.

Yeah he DEFINITELY is someone ensnared in the worst abusive, violent relationship. With his father. While Conquest Corrin just comes off as idiotic, Xander was programmed to be this perfect, powerful royal and was also programmed to believe his father is righteous. All the while growing up with a pound of insecurities. I mean, how can you not see Garon as a wicked, murderous monster? Xander can't because he knows nothing else. And he can't escape Garon because Garon's laws and values are HIS. Leaving that behind would be much too frightening.

Yeah. I'm not at all looking forward to BR chapter 26. I REALLY need Revelations.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

For me, Xander made paladins cool again, after loosing faith in them from Awakening. Though this is mostly credited to his design and the class animations, 

He is quite the beauty, isn't he? I agree. :)

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

I like Xander a lot and interestingly is more fatherly when recruiting Siegbert than Ryoma (who share similar character traits to Xander) does when recruiting Shiro. And I appreciated that, where despite how stern Xander seems most of the time. He still acted like one would expect a father to when going to visit their son whom they haven't seen in a long time.

Xander really does feel like a strong, loving, sympathetic father figure-moreso than Ryoma, whom I feel falls flat in comparison. I'll have to check out Xander's supports with his son. :)

24 minutes ago, JimmyBeans said:

Xander is really good written character tbh, Its just that the story writers didn't follow his character and just made him be whoever the scene called for. I would like to share this video form Ghast Station that perfectly outlines xanders supports and shows that it was fates writing the lowered his quality, bot the character himself.

It is quite lengthy but It's a good watch! (also there is a part two after this one)

You're the second person to give strong recommendations for that video. I definitely need to watch it and will. I agree on the writing putting a few cracks in Xander, especially considering the Xander thing that happens in Birthright (HOW CAN YOU GIVE SUCH A CRAPPY EVENT TO AN ABUSE VICTIM WTF?!?!), so I know it'll be a great watch. :)