Promotions in FE7

PhantomL

I'm playing a bit of fe7 and I'm currently up to four fanged offence (Linus version as I had to play 22x twice to ensure I could do that version).

I'm really mulling over whether to break out the promotion items as things are starting to feel a bit stale (but not impossibly difficult) and I am especially feeding both Canas and Lucius a guiding ring so I can have an extra staff user.

Most the units I actually use are between level 14 and 17, and considering the point I'm in at the game, is this a good time to promote a good amount of units, or would you reccomend holding off until level 20? Also, with fe7 is 20/20 likely to happen or not? (as if its like fe8 where most units will only hit 20/10 without excessive tower/areas abuse I will probably just promote a bunch of units)

I think lvl 14-17 is a good range to promote your units, yeah. Promoted units are unlikely to reach lvl 20 anyway, and the benefit of those extra stats and other perks (more movement, additional weapon types, staff utility) now is probably going to benefit you more then those few extra levels would benefit you in the endgame.

9 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

I think lvl 14-17 is a good range to promote your units, yeah. Promoted units are unlikely to reach lvl 20 anyway, and the benefit of those extra stats and other perks (more movement, additional weapon types, staff utility) now is probably going to benefit you more then those few extra levels would benefit you in the endgame.

Ok, since I don't have to worry about wasting exp I will probably start promoting some of my units where I can. I'm mostly trying to beat out the 'anything below 20 level promotion is bad' mindset which people got me in when I first started playing FE but my team could really do with an extra stave user or two at least.

9 hours ago, PhantomL said:

Ok, since I don't have to worry about wasting exp I will probably start promoting some of my units where I can. I'm mostly trying to beat out the 'anything below 20 level promotion is bad' mindset which people got me in when I first started playing FE but my team could really do with an extra stave user or two at least.

Yeah, it's something I suffered from as well. If you want a staff user, Lucius gets a C-rank in staves upon promotion while Canas only gets E, so I'd recommend promoting Lucius first if you need to pick one. You can probably just promote both though...

On 2/17/2018 at 8:27 PM, PhantomL said:

Iirc, you get Pent in that chapter if you really want a staff user that's durable and good at combat right out the box. he even has good stave ranks.