Sprite Thread Revival

NekoKnight

After I finish Flavia, I should do some shit involving Arvis bullying Saias while Julius laughs or somehting. 

I really don't have anything against Saias as a person, but his existence as the illegitimate child of Arvis is something I cannot tolerate. It completely undermines Arvis's character, and makes him far too similar to the father he despised for my liking

Edited by peevthesheev

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... recently I started learning how to use photoshop and I figured trying to edit FE Heroes sprites would be a good way of practicing, so I tried to edit Masked Marth to have an Askran color scheme. It's not as good as I hoped, but maybe it's decent for a first attempt. Any feedback and tips on how to improve are appreciated.

AskrMaskMarth.jpg

2 hours ago, Luankachu said:

So... recently I started learning how to use photoshop and I figured trying to edit FE Heroes sprites would be a good way of practicing, so I tried to edit Masked Marth to have an Askran color scheme. It's not as good as I hoped, but maybe it's decent for a first attempt. Any feedback and tips on how to improve are appreciated.

AskrMaskMarth.jpg

I'm by no means a digital artists or photoshop expert, but I think your biggest issue is the preservation of the lines. It makes it look messy. It looks like you just used the brush, which I wouldn't suggest since it doesn't allow much precision, especially when working inside pre-existing images. There are a lot of other tools in photoshop and illustrator that allow you to edit things based on areas of color and other things that give you more precision. As for the composition of colors, it doesn't really jump out at me, but it doesn't seem terrible.

2 hours ago, Luankachu said:

AskrMaskMarth.jpg

Having never tried even Photoshop, I can't say for certain, but I think you can import the assets for pretty much every Unit currently in the game and play with them to make your own custom things(we had some real fun stuff in the old thread, such as a Roy holding Falchion and…Lucina's disembodied head, for some reason) so if you ever wanna try something a touch more complicated than a recolor there's a link in the original post for the Thread.

10 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

I'm by no means a digital artists or photoshop expert, but I think your biggest issue is the preservation of the lines. It makes it look messy. It looks like you just used the brush, which I wouldn't suggest since it doesn't allow much precision, especially when working inside pre-existing images. There are a lot of other tools in photoshop and illustrator that allow you to edit things based on areas of color and other things that give you more precision. As for the composition of colors, it doesn't really jump out at me, but it doesn't seem terrible.

Yeah, I thought so too. I actually didn't use the brush. Since I kept having trouble changing the color of something without changing the color of something else on the same layer (Example: the mask), I used the Magic Wand tool to select each individual part and then I used the hue/saturation adjustment thing I saw in GenericHero's sprite editing tutorial to change the lightness (and the color for the inside of the cape). Didn't work out all that well, though. I will probably try to create a better version later, and if I succeed I'll post it here.

11 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Having never tried even Photoshop, I can't say for certain, but I think you can import the assets for pretty much every Unit currently in the game and play with them to make your own custom things(we had some real fun stuff in the old thread, such as a Roy holding Falchion and…Lucina's disembodied head, for some reason) so if you ever wanna try something a touch more complicated than a recolor there's a link in the original post for the Thread.

I do want to try something more complicated eventually, but before that I think I should have a better grasp of the simpler stuff, so I'll stick with recoloring for now.

4 hours ago, Luankachu said:

Yeah, I thought so too. I actually didn't use the brush. Since I kept having trouble changing the color of something without changing the color of something else on the same layer (Example: the mask), I used the Magic Wand tool to select each individual part and then I used the hue/saturation adjustment thing I saw in GenericHero's sprite editing tutorial to change the lightness (and the color for the inside of the cape). Didn't work out all that well, though. I will probably try to create a better version later, and if I succeed I'll post it here.

Hey there! So, I primarily use Gimp as opposed to PhotoShop, but I think most of this should translate over very well. A few tips:

First of all, Hue and Saturation is a great tool, but as I've found, a fairly limited one. It's good for making two slightly different colors match each other, but bad for completely re-texturing. I personally use Colorize, which may have a different name in PhotoShop (if it exists. If not, Gimp is free).

Second, you probably thought taking a pre-made sprite and recoloring it would be an easy place to start, and for the most part you would be right; except, you chose white. In general, making things darker is a whole lot easier than making things lighter. In particular, since true black and true white are fairly rarely used in the actual color schemes of sprites, you can generally settle for near approximations (my old L'Arachel sprite ended up mostly light purple, because I couldn't make half the things white). If you want an easier task, try making Masked Lucina Marth have a black and red color scheme. I think you'll find that easier. Alternatively, cut and paste parts of sprites without recoloring for a possibly easier challenge.

Lastly, blend! This is by far the most important part of making a sprite look legit. Take a good look at any sprite, any piece. They probably have a black edge and a color inside (for example, my first experience of this was Ryoma's hair: black edge, brown inside). However, it's not an immediate change. The black edge becomes dark brown, then brown, then light brown. You can think of this as adding black in smaller and smaller opacities, if that makes sense. If not, ignore that. But there is always a gradient both between colors and within colors. So if you magic wand -> hue and saturation -> recolor a section, you should take a blending tool and blend from the outside (eg; black border) inward, so that you get that smoothness effect.

10 hours ago, Nankaina said:

Hey there! So, I primarily use Gimp as opposed to PhotoShop, but I think most of this should translate over very well. A few tips:

First of all, Hue and Saturation is a great tool, but as I've found, a fairly limited one. It's good for making two slightly different colors match each other, but bad for completely re-texturing. I personally use Colorize, which may have a different name in PhotoShop (if it exists. If not, Gimp is free).

Second, you probably thought taking a pre-made sprite and recoloring it would be an easy place to start, and for the most part you would be right; except, you chose white. In general, making things darker is a whole lot easier than making things lighter. In particular, since true black and true white are fairly rarely used in the actual color schemes of sprites, you can generally settle for near approximations (my old L'Arachel sprite ended up mostly light purple, because I couldn't make half the things white). If you want an easier task, try making Masked Lucina Marth have a black and red color scheme. I think you'll find that easier. Alternatively, cut and paste parts of sprites without recoloring for a possibly easier challenge.

Lastly, blend! This is by far the most important part of making a sprite look legit. Take a good look at any sprite, any piece. They probably have a black edge and a color inside (for example, my first experience of this was Ryoma's hair: black edge, brown inside). However, it's not an immediate change. The black edge becomes dark brown, then brown, then light brown. You can think of this as adding black in smaller and smaller opacities, if that makes sense. If not, ignore that. But there is always a gradient both between colors and within colors. So if you magic wand -> hue and saturation -> recolor a section, you should take a blending tool and blend from the outside (eg; black border) inward, so that you get that smoothness effect.

Thank you. I'll be sure to try these tips when I have the time.

@umbry Wanted me to do something new, so here's half of it; Pokemon Trainer Red. 

Anyone have any tips on smoothing those jagged edges, and making the line in his coat look a little better?

Edited by peevthesheev

Alright, i've been thinking about this for a while. Could we get a Fates and an Awakening Anna? Fates Anna wielding her Anna's Bow and Awakening Anna as her trickster class wielding a Leif's sword (aka a light brand) both in a normal Bow and Sword idle?

16 hours ago, Grima the Fell Dragon said:

Alright, i've been thinking about this for a while. Could we get a Fates and an Awakening Anna? Fates Anna wielding her Anna's Bow and Awakening Anna as her trickster class wielding a Leif's sword (aka a light brand) both in a normal Bow and Sword idle?

I think somebody made Awakening Anna in the other incarnation of this thread, so it's possible somebody still has it floating around. I do wanna see Fates Anna though, and we should add Tellius Anna as a Pegasus Knight.

wPKBt0B.png

Just gonna put this here. A lil' OC of mine that's a blatant ripoff of FE: Fates' Takumi, but I'm still proud of the outcome nonetheless. The bow is a Hunter's Bow from another game called Unison League [ http://unisonleague.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter's_Bow_(Gear) ], and the feathers are from the Native Headdress from the same game [ http://unisonleague.wikia.com/wiki/Native_Headdress_(Gear) ].

Edit:

On 4/13/2018 at 11:31 PM, Luankachu said:

AskrMaskMarth.jpg

If you really want to get precise with a second attempt, I would use a lasso tool and go into HSL editing, set saturation to none on some parts and increae the Lightness to a decent bit (my normal maximum for getting something white is +25, and that's for extreme cases) (set hue to a yellowish color for other parts), and then increase the contrast a lot so any outlines aren't annoying as hell to look at, and maybe decrease the darkness of it so the outlines pop out more, and that should be a good start to a second attempt.

Otherwise, you did a really good job with it.

Edited by Space1255
Information

10 hours ago, Space1255 said:

wPKBt0B.png

Just gonna put this here. A lil' OC of mine that's a blatant ripoff of FE: Fates' Takumi, but I'm still proud of the outcome nonetheless. The bow is a Hunter's Bow from another game called Unison League [ http://unisonleague.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter's_Bow_(Gear) ], and the feathers are from the Native Headdress from the same game [ http://unisonleague.wikia.com/wiki/Native_Headdress_(Gear) ].

Edit:

If you really want to get precise with a second attempt, I would use a lasso tool and go into HSL editing, set saturation to none on some parts and increae the Lightness to a decent bit (my normal maximum for getting something white is +25, and that's for extreme cases) (set hue to a yellowish color for other parts), and then increase the contrast a lot so any outlines aren't annoying as hell to look at, and maybe decrease the darkness of it so the outlines pop out more, and that should be a good start to a second attempt.

Otherwise, you did a really good job with it.

Unison League!