Birthright Chapter 26 Plot: Please help me cope with the story!

MoonRose

I adore Xander. Like many of the Fates characters, he falls victim to unbelievably poor writing at times, but that creates the perfect canvas for the imagination. I see him as being a thoroughly brainwashed, submissive victim of abuse. 

I'm currently on Chapter 21 in Birthright. If you know what happens to Xander in Birthright, imagine how excited I am about a certain upcoming chapter. I plan on building Supports and leveling up until I'm ready-which I'm betting will be never.

How do I cope? I thought of skipping the cutscenes but I know I won't. I keep reading that the chapter is just dreadful and then I saw the image of Xander crying and OMG NO I AM NOT READY.

How did you fare on that chapter? What did you think of the way Corrin handled? Should I get ready to hate Corrin even more than I already do? How would you have rewritten the chapter? Would you have preferred Corrin or someone else changing the outcome?

Edited by MoonRose
Needed to streamline it towards story aspects, not gameplay

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

This thread title is BAD.  Usually, it's about people asking for gameplay help.

Anyway, it's a story, no more, no less.  Treat it as such.

Oops. How do I delete topics?

I don't think Corrin was handled poorly at all in that part.  Actually, Birthright is the path Corrin is the best in, though I honestly think - much like Xander - Corrin is best in certain supports.

My personal moments of pain throughout the story came from lategame Conquest due to my prior attachments to the other cast.  Particularly the Great Wall chapter and Endgame; I actively avoided taking down Oboro.

It's difficult for me to say that I felt anything at that point in Birthright partially because I hadn't bonded with anyone from Conquest's cast aside from the Awakening trio, and because when I eventually would come back around to it, I'd have already played Revelation and know of a more ideal end where none of the royals or their retainers die.  But still, I can imagine you probably feel the same way about taking on Xander as I do about taking on Takumi and Oboro in Conquest.

Xander's battle Chapter…this is where my statement on your intro Topic comes back. There's nothing you can do about it, it's best to just prepare your feels for the worst, then if this somehow turns out feeling less painful than your worst-case scenario, great. If it is worse than you expected, though, know that we feel your pain - the Chapter completely blindsided me because I finished Birthright first(I played both BR and CQ at the same time) and didn't realize I was gonna off the guy, though I was definitely less upset about it after…basically, the Chapter kicked me right where it hurt most.

Edited by SoulWeaver

On the plus side, the actual gameplay part of the chapter can be over with in a flash so you don't have to have it remind you of the plot events beforehand for too long. Whereas Ryoma put up a neat battle in CQ, Xander has just miserable stats in BR for his duel with Corrin. And you don't even have to kill Laslow or Peri for everyone else to have at Xander, a character with Lockpick can open the door in blink and somebody not Corrin can reduce him to finely mashed potato paste (because they're probably the only thing that can grow well in Nohr) before you can say "Camilla Sarsaparilla".

8 hours ago, MoonRose said:

I adore Xander. Like many of the Fates characters, he falls victim to unbelievably poor writing at times, but that creates the perfect canvas for the imagination. I see him as being a thoroughly brainwashed, submissive victim of abuse. 

I'm currently on Chapter 21 in Birthright. If you know what happens to Xander in Birthright, imagine how excited I am about a certain upcoming chapter. I plan on building Supports and leveling up until I'm ready-which I'm betting will be never.

How do I cope? I thought of skipping the cutscenes but I know I won't. I keep reading that the chapter is just dreadful and then I saw the image of Xander crying and OMG NO I AM NOT READY.

How did you fare on that chapter? What did you think of the way Corrin handled? Should I get ready to hate Corrin even more than I already do? How would you have rewritten the chapter? Would you have preferred Corrin or someone else changing the outcome?

I just headcannon Arthur beating the shit out of Xander near the end of both routes.

Also kill Effie so she never has to live with this.

18 hours ago, joshcja said:

I just headcannon Arthur beating the shit out of Xander near the end of both routes.

Do you pick up Arthur as an einherjar in BR just so you can do this?

Because I definitely would.

23 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whereas Ryoma put up a neat battle in CQ, Xander has just miserable stats in BR for his duel with Corrin.

I just solo'd Ryoma with a Swordmaster Corrin.  Basically beat him over the head with a stick until he died.

Actually, I did the same thing to Xander, though Corrin was probably just a Hoshidan Noble that time.

I always avoid killing the retainers.  The only one I've actually killed for good in any run was poor Hinata, and that was only because I didn't realize that defeating him would actually kill him off and I didn't want to start the chapter over.  I find it awfully coincidental that the retainers that are most difficult to avoid killing are also the ones I care about the most.  One of the Conquest devs has a vendetta with me, I can only assume.

I have not actually loaded an Arthur into BR. I should bring over one of the Ground-to-Taco-Justice-Nukes in the olde logbook the next time I touch BR and just let him go on a berserk solo of the BR lategame holding Elise's corpse.

Should be a nice stomp as the prereq stats for Tacokilling are basicly double what any hoshido-only unit can get.

Edited by joshcja