FE14 Conquest Sword Only Run

Zonotsage

So I decided to spice things up a bit and do a sword only run of conquest on lunatic, hard is significantly easier for this run which is why opted for this. I will make somewhat of a mini guide as I go through the run, as of writing this I am on chapter 18. Please feel free to give feedback and share your experience as I am by no means an expert at the game.

Rules:

• No DLC (Path bonuses are okay)
  • All attacking units must use swords (guard stance w/ a non sword wielding class is okay, as well as the use of healers and Azura with no weapons)
  • No use of online features (castles battles, bonuses, etc...)
  • Run begins on chapter 6

Throughout my trial runs there are a few things that I found make the run easier.

•  First is that Male Corrin is the way to go as Felicia's personal skill and demoiselle makes chapter 7 much easier
  • Having speed as Corrin's boon and the talent of samurai are very useful (personally I would not reclass Corrin until he gets Draconic Hex)
  • USE FELICIA!!! She is probably the best unit for most of the run, so reclass her to a Hero in Chapter 8 ASAP
  • Use your dread scrolls! It is very difficult to do this run without them on lunatic, I have yet to come up with a way to beat chapter 10 without using them

So onto the chapters

Chapter 6: Embrace The Dark

This chapter is fairly straight forward.

• Have Camilla activate the dragon vein then move Xander to her right. Then pair Felicia with Elise and move her above Xander then separate them , now he gets the bonus of Lily's poise, Rose's Thorns and Demoiselle
  • Kill Ryoma with Xander, do not worry about the other as Ryoma will only attack Xander
  • Use Corrin and Xander to take care of Takumi and Hinoka
  • Use Xander to kill Yukimura and you are done

Chapter 7: A Dragon's Decree

Things to do before starting: make a staff/weapon store; get path bonuses; use boots (optional); sell iron dagger, buy at least one vulnerary if you used the one form the tutorial chapters

This chapter is pretty much a race to kill as many faceless per turn as possible. Having a speed oriented Corrin is very useful here as it allows him to reliably double the faceless, making this chapter way easier. Also resist the urge to make Felicia a dreadfighter, you will regret it later on. 

• Pair up Felicia and Corrin and move them to the left. Separate them so that Corrin is able to be hit by both Faceless
  • Pair them back up and move Corrin towards the forrest so that he can be hit by all the Faceless except for the guard stance ones and use a vulnerary
  • Elise and Silas should arrive on turn 3. Pair them up and then separate them below the northern most woods tile. Move Corrin in place to be hit by the guard stance Faceless, the others should have be one rounded.
  • Move Corrin as far back as possible while still being able to be hit by the last faceless and separate him from Felicia. Have Silas finish of the faceless that attacked him. Pair up Arthur and Effie and move them as close to Silas as possible.
  • Move Arthur towards the bridge and them move Corrin next to him to block the path. Have Felicia heal Corrin and then move Silas behind the blockade. Have Elise heal Silas.
  • Have Silas transfer Effie to him and move Arthur as far back as possible. Heal Corrin with Felicia. At this point Corrin and Silas should be blocking the bridge in a staggered pattern with Felicia behind Corrin and Elise behind Silas.
  • Kill the seal speed faceless with Corrin and the other with Silas, do not break position though. Heal as needed
  • Kill the last faceless with Silas and move Felicia and Corrin back so that he is next to Silas.
  • Enjoy your one turn of no fighting and top off Corrin's and Silas' health
  • From this point just defend and heal top of their health, do not initiate battle with the boss faceless until he can be reliably one shot

More to come later~

This run is reminds me of my latest playthrough which I was calling "Axes Only" basically only units that wielded axes (berserkers, great knights, wyvern lords, etc) would be used the only exception to this rule was healers. In the end I had a lot of Wyvern lords and a lot of Berserkers, the perfect Tag Team. Your run sounds like fun and challenging, go get 'em! For the glory of Nohr!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. This run is probably one of my favorites because of the clear disadvantages my army has, making me rethink how I approach maps.

So now onto the next few chapters.

Paralogue 1: Tragic Start

Things to do prior: Sell all non sword weapons; buy a heart seal for Felicia and re-class her to a hero; buy 2 bronze swords and an iron sword (optional); Forget about Arthur

I recommend doing this chapter before going to chapter 8 to get Felicia to rank D in swords and obtain Sol, aka the best skill in the run. Use this chapter to build up supports with Effie/Silas and Felicia/Corrin. Also use your first dread scroll on Mozu, make sure to get her to sword rank D too.

• Pair up Effie and Silas and have Corrin hold a dread scroll and bronze sword

That is about it. This chapter is very straight forward, make your way to Mozu as quickly as possible and then feed her exp. I recommend using the southern bridge to funnel the faceless so Mozu gets the most exp and weapon exp possible. Also do not neglect Felicia, I like to use her to take on the faceless in the North-West portion of the map.

Chapter 8: Cold Reception

Things to do prior: Sell brass naginata; buy a heal staff; buy an iron sword (if you have not done so already); build a lottery shop (pray that you get a crystal)

Now this is the first chapter where I actually did something very different from my other lunatic runs. Normally I would head left and try to get to 3 houses, unfortunately this is very unsafe and will likely result in your army being overwhelmed. Instead head North and settle for 2 houses, 5000 vs. 10000 gold. As long as you spend wisely this will not matter much later on, as you will recover some of the lost gold by selling weapons.

• Pair up Effie and Silas (this will be the norm for many chapters); pair up Felicia and Corrin; have Elise carry a dread scroll and bronze sword for Odin
  • Have Elise visit the first house and move the others North
  • Move Odin and Niles toward Elise and move Elise North while keeping her within pair up range of Odin
  • Take out the first two mages from the house the lancer visited with Corrin and Felicia and then pair Mozu with Corrin. Move Silas next to Corrin and unequip his weapon
  • Have Odin trade with Elise and change to a dread fighter, then pair Niles with him. Take out one mage with Corrin and then move Elise up so that she can Give Lily's poise to Silas to take out the last mage (or use Felicia if Silas has a bad strength roll)
  • Heal Corrin and pair him with Felicia, then take out the lancer. Keep moving Odin towards the rest of the army and move the other units closer to the northern most mages.
  • Have Odin take out one of the southern mages and Mozu attack stance to take out one of the northern mages. Have Felicia take out the last northern mage. Move Silas out of range and heal him
  • Use Odin and Felicia to take out the last 2 mages and then heal up and regroup
  • Set up a barricade right of the ice dragon with Odin and Felicia
  • Use Mozu to take out one mage and Felicia the other. Then use Odin or Silas to take out the last fighter
  • Felicia can take care of the two fighters left of the ice dragon and Silas should visit the northernmost house
  • Have Odin and Felicia defend against the mages and fighters from the South-West house and Mozu can take out the mage that was near the boss
  • Take out the remaining enemies and heal as needed. After this the battle is almost over so just wait out the freeze spam from Flora and then move in to take care of the last 5 enemies
  • For Kilma I like to pair up Mozu and Odin then have odin take him out

Now for a comparison. In my opinion Mozu and Odin make good dread fighters but Odin will be more useful during most of the run because he has a better strength and defense growths. Mozu will have superior speed and res but due to the lack of mages in comparison to physical units for most of the game the res will be situational. Mozu can make good use of a forged steel sword, as her speed will allow her to double with it. Overall Odin is a decent frontline unit while Mozu should be a guard support or pick of weak units.

Also for those who noticed that I did not use Corrin much for this chapter, that is mainly because my Corrin has a bane of res. Mages pretty much melt him and the Yato does not help that. That being said, I give all my talismans to Corrin.

Chapter 9: Another Trial

Things to do prior: Sell the iron bow and thunder; make a mess hall; SAVE your money (it is very important to do this in anticipation for chapter 10)

So enjoy your last easy chapter because after this the run kicks into full force. Try to get Effie and Silas to support at least 1 more rank for the def boost also. A couple other things to note, Haitaka sucks and save that heart seal for Camilla. 

• Pair up Effie/Silas, Felicia/Corrin and Mozu/Odin. Field Niles and are you still forgetting about Arthur?

There is not too much to say about this chapter other than take it slowly. Use a guerrilla style of play, charge in then move back and funnel enemies through the south. Haitaka and his band of merry archers are a pain to deal with but as long as you draw the archers near the top right they can be taken out one by one. As for Haitaka himself, Use Corrin/Felicia and have Elise heal him with Silas to shelter her. Azura and her passive healing helps as well. Also save the rescue staff for chapter 11, you will need it.

I hope this helps anyone attempting the run and  with that, there will be more coming later.