Dear Nintendo, 80 DOLLARS ARE NOT 80 EURO

Armadillo8

Dear Nintendo,

I won't spend a penny on this godforsaken game (as much as I want to) until the pricing imbalance is fixed.
When will you realize that 80 DOLLARS ARE NOT 80 EUROS for fuck's sake!

This was probably dicussed a lot, but in case you didn't know, the average European citizen pays 15 Dollars more for 140 Orbs than an American does, which is ridiculous, not in my opionion but for a fact.
I don't know what is going through their heads, but this seriuously needs fixing. Until this does't change, I and many other Europeas will not pay for this game.
It's just bullshit. I could go buy something for 65 Dollars and then burn the remaining 15 to ash. The result is the same.

Is there any reasonable explanation for that pricing? If there is, please enlighten me.

Edited by Mariode

Actually, it's a bit worse than that.

140 orbs is 75 USD or 80 EUR.

1 EUR has been worth more than 1 USD (currently sitting at 1.23 USD) for as long as Google wants to show me a graph (5 years) in terms of exchange rate.

I guess I should consider my country lucky in this regard. 140 Orbs cost 1,399 pesos which ends up as something around 75-77 dollars. Then again, stuff like buying the Switch from a retailer is a freaking scam over here (it costs freaking 10,500 pesos, or 563 dollars instead of something more akin to the 300 it costs in the US).

Well, you just answered your own question: 80 euros is not 80 dollars. It is not fair to expect to pay 80 bucks in another currency and expect to have the same expenses from the original currency you're comparing with. Of course it's going to be more or less expensive, depending on how strong said currency is compared to the original one.

I understand how annoying this is, being a Brazilian who has to pay 4x the price for virtually anything a person from a civilized country can get for cheap lunch money (iirc it's 12 bucks for a pack of orbs here), but it's how economy works, so there's nothing I can do about it.

Edited by Rapier

Can everyone just agree that orb pack prices are a bit too high in all countries?  I have bought orbs once and it was too much even with being in the US $20 bucks for 30 orbs is pretty steep and I will be F2P from now on since the only good thing that came out my buying orbs was a merge for my BK and nothing else.  I really think they should cut the price for orb packs in half, but I guess that is how they can give so many orbs for free a month since the big spenders pay the high prices.  I don't mind that I gave IS $25 since I have played Heroes since launch, but it was sad for me that my money did not buy that much.  I would like to say thanks to the the people who buy orbs every month since they are what keeps new content coming.  

Edited by EricaofRenais

$120AUD here which is $94USD, eh. Our GST (which is the equivalent of sales tax or VAT) is 10% so it's $85USD pre-tax, which is not far out of line.

In the EU, the VAT rate varies but is typically around 20%, take this into account when analysing orb prices. Note that US prices are always shown excluding tax, which is added on at the checkout, whereas by law in both Australia and Europe, you they must show the price including tax. I don't know how Nintendo handles taxes on orbs though, unless they book sales through states that have no sales tax (such as Oregon).

22 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

unless they book sales through states that have no sales tax (such as Oregon).

ohohohohoho

ohohohohohohohohohohohohohhohohohohohohohoh-

But anyways, I actually find it interesting to see the price of orbs between different parts of the world. What I wish I understood is why the pricing, when accounting for exchange rates, varies so heavily. Not to say I don't expect variance, but $10-$25 more expensive than the american dollar is quite something...

1 minute ago, SSbardock84 said:

Do people actually even pay 80 dollars for orbs?

It gives the most bonus orbs than other orb bundles, so for mass summons (such as seasonal banners) it's the best deal.

Edited by Xenomata

7 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

But anyways, I actually find it interesting to see the price of orbs between different parts of the world. What I wish I understood is why the pricing, when accounting for exchange rates, varies so heavily. Not to say I don't expect variance, but $10-$25 more expensive than the american dollar is quite something...

So far I haven't seen any examples cited in this thread that can't be explained by tax - once it's accounted for there's still some inevitable variation due to currency exchange fluctuations, but it's within a reasonably 5% or so of the US price. I can't reasonably call that price gouging, at least nothing like the likes of Steam does.

5 hours ago, Xenomata said:

It gives the most bonus orbs than other orb bundles, so for mass summons (such as seasonal banners) it's the best deal.

Relative to price, it's not always the most efficient, though.

For example, in the U.S., the 40-USD pack of 75 orbs is slightly more economical if you actually buy a lot of orbs.

For example, 600 USD of the 75-orb pack (40 USD) gives 1,125 orbs, but 600 USD of the 140-orb pack (75 USD) only gives 1,120 orbs.

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Note that US prices are always shown excluding tax, which is added on at the checkout,

As best as I can tell, sales tax is not applied to the price at all in the U.S., most likely because it's difficult to determine the exact amount of tax to apply. Technically, you're supposed to tell the government exactly how much money you spent in untaxed purchases when you file your taxes every year, but I don't think anyone actually ever does. This is most likely because we're all tax evaders it's tedious and difficult to keep track of which online purchases were and weren't taxed (Amazon, for example, does collect sales tax based on the shipping address).

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

As best as I can tell, sales tax is not applied to the price at all in the U.S., most likely because it's difficult to determine the exact amount of tax to apply. Technically, you're supposed to tell the government exactly how much money you spent in untaxed purchases when you file your taxes every year, but I don't think anyone actually ever does. This is most likely because we're all tax evaders it's tedious and difficult to keep track of which online purchases were and weren't taxed (Amazon, for example, does collect sales tax based on the shipping address).

Nice to have laws so convoluted that they become unenforceable, heh.

Meanwhile I can confirm from my receipt for the BK starter pack that I was charged 10% tax. So the price excluding tax comes to $5.45AUD ~= $4.26USD. So a 27 cent difference in the end, that's reasonable enough to me.

Item Price

Starter Support Pack (Fire Emblem Heroes) $5.99

Total: $5.99
(Includes GST of $0.54)
Edited by Humanoid

4 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Nice to have laws so convoluted that they become unenforceable, heh.

Meanwhile I can confirm from my receipt for the BK starter pack that I was charged 10% tax.

Yeah, checking my own receipts, I was not charged sales tax.

19 hours ago, mampfoid said:

In addition, I never saw sales for google play gift cards in Europe, while it seems to be a regular thing in the US (correct me if I'm wrong). 

They seem to be pretty standard in general stores and grocery stores over here.

On 23.02.2018 at 3:39 AM, Vaximillian said:

The pack of 140 orbs costs 5790 rubles here, equivalent to 102.43 USD. I can’t even.

As always, Russia get the worst deals.

22 hours ago, mampfoid said:

In addition, I never saw sales for google play gift cards in Europe, while it seems to be a regular thing in the US (correct me if I'm wrong).

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

They seem to be pretty standard in general stores and grocery stores over here.

To me it seems like half the european countries can't use those gift cards (rememer when I won one in a giveaway here, and couldn't use it?) in the first place, hence why they are not sold there.