Unseen Cutscenes?

Alright, here's something that has been bothering me for a while. I recently made my way through the game (all save Thabes Labyrinth, but I'm pretty sure there will be nothing of relevance to this topic there), always keeping an eye to see where in the game pieces of the title screen montage went. Naturally, I was able to place just about everything where it went save for three sequences: Conrad riding his mount on the outskirts of some city, some evil-looking gentleman's eyes opening and standing straight upright, and Celica turning and walking away from the statue of Mila.

I would dismiss these as extra segments to beef up and add flavor to the montage were it not for the evil guy. Before the game I assumed it was someone in the Duma Faithful; when this wasn't the case, I assumed he would be Forneus... until I realized Forneus doesn't have an image on the FE wikis.

And I am curious as to the city Conrad could be charging toward. Presumably a capital city? And is it a flashback or something that happened in-game?

Perhaps I am simply missing something, in which case I'd like to know the answers. If such things are unknown, however, it's worth speculation.

This

I'd assume that the cutsceen with Conrad, and all the other cutscenes were made before the game was in it's final stages in development.

My best guess is that they didn't want to spoil Conrad's scene in game where he saves Celica at the end of act 2

I have a feeling they created the opening montage early on as well.

On a related note, the CG of Conrad rescuing Celica was initially going to take place during the day, instead of during the sunset in the final game.

Anyway, when Conrad is riding during the night, I am pretty sure he's riding towards Zofia Castle. Besides, the only other castle town is Rigel, which looks completely different.

Also, the "evil man" is Jedah, right? Or were you purposely trying to hide spoilers? ^^

Finally, I assume Celica standing down from the Mila statue would have occurred near the beginning of her story. Mainly because the background looks just like the Priory. But they probably removed the scene since it was immediately preceded by the dream of Alm and Rudolf fighting.

Edited by VincentASM

I assume they did what they do most of the time in their JRPGs, which is the anime thing of putting together really snazzy cutscenes to make an aesthetically pleasing opening. You'll find other JRPGs having the same kinds of openings (the Tales series in particular) where stuff happens in that opening that doesn't really happen in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 10:12 AM, DragonFlames said:

I assume they did what they do most of the time in their JRPGs, which is the anime thing of putting together really snazzy cutscenes to make an aesthetically pleasing opening. You'll find other JRPGs having the same kinds of openings (the Tales series in particular) where stuff happens in that opening that doesn't really happen in the game.

To name a few instances, there is a scene in the Tales of Abyss opening where Luke and Natalia are surrounded by Kimlasca-Lanvaldear soldiers in Baticul and Tear is looking on reaching out to Luke from some higher elevation in the city. Never happens. Symphonia has a scene of Presea fighting golems in what appears to be an open wasteland- such a place does not exist. Scene of Richter fighting Emil in Dawn of the New World where Emil walks on a wall- epic, but doesn't exist ingame.

Crono Trigger has a piece of official artwork showing a snowy setting with 2300AD-esque buildings in the background with Crono, Marle, and Frog fighting a monster that never appears in a snowy place, much less 2300AD. The Playstation-added opening trailer has Crono and Frog using X-Slash on the skeleton boss of the 600AD bridge- but Frog doesn't join until after the bridge so it can't happen. Ayla in artwork and trailers is shown with a club, but she always fights with her fists.