Making a fire emblem themed pathfinder setting

Silverdawn77

hello, im not really sure if this is the right place to post this so... anyway. me and a friend of mine are making our own campaign setting for pathfinder with inspiration from fire emblem. we are pretty much done with the first draft of it and our first game in it is pretty much gonna be playtesting. i was wondering if anyone wanted to help us with by looking at it for balance changes or if you wanted to play it yourself. we aren't planning on selling it or publishing it or anything like that, this is just for fun. if anyone wants to see it or help let me know :)

Spoiler

again im really not sure what forum i should have posted this in

Spoiler

basically what we did was create a few new classes and races along with its own continent

Edited by Silverdawn77

I'm a big fan of Pathfinder and while I've never been GM before I am working on my own campaign right now so I can learn how. I would be interested in looking at what you and your friend cooked up simply to see how you translated the Fire Emblem setting into a dice, paper, and pencil experience. I'm not an expert at the game, but I guess I could give a little feedback if it's something I feel qualified to critique, which is honestly probably not going to be much.

4 minutes ago, Silverdawn77 said:

im as we speak in the process of typing up what we have into a document to email to all the players, when im finished ill post it here then you can look at it.

Sounds good. Also I forgot to mention that I think this forum would probably be better suited to the Creative or Fan Projects forums, but I think it's okay here for now.

Okay took a little longer than i thought but here's the mages i drew up. its not everything but its taking a bit to type all of it up. also here's the races i made to represent fire emblem. 

Spoiler

this is my attempt to recreate the Gaiden/shadows of valentia mages in pathfinder. again i've never made a pathfinder class before so its probably all over the place but this is a first draft so :/ 

On 2/25/2018 at 4:16 PM, TheGoodHoms said:

Sounds good. Also I forgot to mention that I think this forum would probably be better suited to the Creative or Fan Projects forums, but I think it's okay here for now.

well lemme know what ya think :) im not afraid of critique either, im sure its prolly first draft trash lol

Mages.odt

Pathfinder Emblem Races.odt

When it comes to home brew content I'm probably not the best guy to ask about balance since I've never done it my self and I only started playing 2 years ago, but from what I can tell the races seem to check out when compared to the Advanced Race Guide's Race builder at least from what I can tell. The mages I mostly just skimmed, but I will look into more when I have more time, but I will say there is a clear balance issue in the  different arcana. Fire arcana seems way too strong when compared to something like like Light arcana which while thematically correct seems a little too situational unless you've got plans for having lots of undead encounters in the game. 

Like I said, not the best critic, but I'll try to help where I can.

18 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

When it comes to home brew content I'm probably not the best guy to ask about balance since I've never done it my self and I only started playing 2 years ago, but from what I can tell the races seem to check out when compared to the Advanced Race Guide's Race builder at least from what I can tell. The mages I mostly just skimmed, but I will look into more when I have more time, but I will say there is a clear balance issue in the  different arcana. Fire arcana seems way too strong when compared to something like like Light arcana which while thematically correct seems a little too situational unless you've got plans for having lots of undead encounters in the game. 

Like I said, not the best critic, but I'll try to help where I can.

No this is good, any feedback is appreciated. In our campaign yes there is going to be Alot of undead. But maybe I should change it for other something less specific. I kinda wanted fire to be all about damage, with the downside being that their blast also damages allies if they aren't careful

3 hours ago, Silverdawn77 said:

I kinda wanted fire to be all about damage, with the downside being that their blast also damages allies if they aren't careful

I actually didn't consider allies in the equation, now I see where you're coming from at least partially. I would still recommend toning it back by some margin, perhaps a fixed damage bonus rather than making additional rolls.

I think 5 damage would work fine. Or another Idea could be to give it a small bonus at first then increase it by increments as you level. As an example you could start at 2 damage at level 1, then at level 4 you could increase it by an additional 2 damage and then another 2 damage at levels 8, 12, 16, and 20 after that. So the progression would look something like this...

Level 1= 2 damage

Level 4= 4 damage

Level 8= 6 damage

Level 12= 8 damage

Level 16= 10 damage

Level 20= 12 damage

I think this way it's not too strong at first, but it can still have an impact at later levels. Of course this is just one example, do whatever you think works best for your vision of the class.

On 3/4/2018 at 4:08 PM, TheGoodHoms said:

I actually didn't consider allies in the equation, now I see where you're coming from at least partially. I would still recommend toning it back by some margin, perhaps a fixed damage bonus rather than making additional rolls.

I'm changing the light mage to have outsiders and aberations affected as well, and lowering the minus to saves to -3. Once I'm done typing up the other classes I wrote I'll add them, and then I'll add all the ones my friend made. He focused on the melee classes

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I think 5 damage would work fine. Or another Idea could be to give it a small bonus at first then increase it by increments as you level. As an example you could start at 2 damage at level 1, then at level 4 you could increase it by an additional 2 damage and then another 2 damage at levels 8, 12, 16, and 20 after that. So the progression would look something like this...

Level 1= 2 damage

Level 4= 4 damage

Level 8= 6 damage

Level 12= 8 damage

Level 16= 10 damage

Level 20= 12 damage

I think this way it's not too strong at first, but it can still have an impact at later levels. Of course this is just one example, do whatever you think works best for your vision of the class.

That's actually an amazing idea

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 2:41 PM, TheGoodHoms said:

Level 1= 2 damage

Level 4= 4 damage

Level 8= 6 damage

Level 12= 8 damage

Level 16= 10 damage

Level 20= 12 damage

here are all the classes i have so far, my friend is done with the melee classes as well and ill get them later tonight, but since i don't know how to change forum posts ill add those in when i make the new post in the creative works section, kinda just wanted to see what you thought of the witch and the priestess

Priestess.rtf

Witch.rtf

4 hours ago, Silverdawn77 said:

i still need to work out some balance issues but again this is a first draft. 

for instance i already had to fix this one lol

Priestess.rtf

I'll take a look at it as soon as I can. I don't have a ton of free time today so just hang tight until I'm able.