Does anyone know about the Valentine Paralogue (Love Abounds) added why Hector doesn't want Lilina to marry Roy?

King Marth 64

I did beaten the Valentine Paralogue called Love Abounds that was released two weeks ago. I noticed that there is a new memo that was added to the Love Abounds dialogue when Hector was talking to Eliwood. I noticed that Hector did said to Eliwood when Hector was wondering about that gift (which it's a gift that Lilina giving it to Hector) from her own daughter, Lilina. He did said that he's ok with Eliwood's son, Roy, but Hector doesn't want Lilina marry it to Roy or anyone in Eliwood's family. I did obtained the Valentine Eliwood from the Tempest Trial, he did said that he was happy to see Roy and Lilina still becoming good friends, but he was worried about Hector won't like it if they become engaged. I kinda think about it, was this conversation was used in The Binding Blade and possibly used in The Blazing Blade, I don't exactly remember that was mentioned about Hector doesn't want Lilina to marry Roy in any of the game's dialogue nor the support conversations either? I do remembered that Hector did said he wanted a son so that he can use the Armads before Lilina was born during at The Blazing Blade's story, but I totally think the script writers from Heroes could have added about Hector's worrying about Lilina's love and Roy's trust as well.

The most common excuse I've heard is overprotective father. Also in Binding Blade Roy is just 14-16 so Hector doesn't see him as a man nor worthy enough to be with his daughter. Then Hector just gives Roy control over the Lycian League which could be a metaphor for Hector's acceptance of Roy.

25 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

The most common excuse I've heard is overprotective father. Also in Binding Blade Roy is just 14-16 so Hector doesn't see him as a man nor worthy enough to be with his daughter. Then Hector just gives Roy control over the Lycian League which could be a metaphor for Hector's acceptance of Roy.

I kinda wondering that as well. I'm kinda wondering if Hector could might have said that to Eliwood since Lilina could might have told the past Hector what happened to the other Hector and his future about what happened during in The Binding Blade. We haven't heard about Lilina's mother and she did died before the events in The Binding Blade, I think Hector could have worried about his family. Also, Roy along with Lilina are actually 15 during at The Binding Blade's plot.

Edited by King Marth 64

The FE7 Lords are explicitly dropped in from their FE7 timeline. Hector having just met his daughter hasn't yet considered he'd have to give her up to some other man some day, so I suspect that's the source of over protectiveness. Same with his first meeting with Roy, he doesn't know that kid either.

The Extended epilogue of FE7 shows the first time Hector meets Roy, and ditto for Eliwood meeting Lilina. This epilogue takes place fifteen years after Uther's funeral, so approximately that many years after the events of FE7, and five years before FE6, so Roy and Lilina are ten at that moment. It's odd that Eliwood and Hector, such lifelong friends, couldn't spare a moment to introduce their kids to each other in ten years time. Before the events of FE7, Eliwood and Hector met up at least twice a month if I recall their support correctly.

Edited by Glennstavos

Interesting to note, Roy is the EXACT kind of son that Hector did not want. In FE6 its shown that they did at very least had respectful relationship with each other(if only because of situation. Lilina is shown to be affectionate to Eliwood) but Roy basically checkmarks all of Hector's do not want list

But yeah its just him being overprotective

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

2 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Sounds like a normal father tbh

Yeah, this. It's nothing more than Hector entering the role of the stereotypical father who thinks that no male that ever lays foot upon the earth will ever be worthy of his daughter, regardless of whether that male be the son of his best friend. Roy is only singled out because he's close to Lilina.

Parroting everyone else here, but yeah, he's just uncomfortable with anyone marrying his daughter. 

Lucky(?) for him, he won't have to worry about being around to see it. Just don't pair her with Gonzales and his soul can rest in peace. Or maybe I'm wrong and he'd love Gonzales because he's huge and uses an axe.

I am going with overprotective dad as well, and agree with what others have said in that Hector just met Lilina and wants to spend some time getting to know her before he has to think about her getting married.  Honestly I don't think any guy in FE 6 would pass Hector's list to be able to marry Lilina with his permission.  I think Hector likes Roy as a person, but that doesn't mean Hector wants Roy to marry Lilina by a long shot.   

As many already mentioned he's just being a typical overprotective dad nothing new deep down he knows Roy is the perfect match for his daughter even in his final moments in Binding Blade. And I'm definitely sure he would be happy to be more forever tied to Eliwood beyond best friends. 

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

18 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

17 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I kinda wondering that as well. I'm kinda wondering if Hector could might have said that to Eliwood since Lilina could might have told the past Hector what happened to the other Hector and his future about what happened during in The Binding Blade. We haven't heard about Lilina's mother and she did died before the events in The Binding Blade, I think Hector could have worried about his family. Also, Roy along with Lilina are actually 15 during at The Binding Blade's plot.

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Image result for fire emblem communism

^
Because that

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

It's a common trope in fiction

it's not like teenagers are do dumb things or anything

Hector: You'll take my daughter over my dead body!

Roy: But, sir, you're dying right now!

Hector: Oh, well, go on then.

I'm surprised literally no one brought this up yet.

Hector outright says that he wouldn't give up his eventual daughter during his B support with Eliwood.

Hector: The girl that would be my daughter… She gets taken away by this boy that appears later. …A boy with red hair! Yes, it was red, I’m sure of it.
Eliwood: Don’t get ahead of yourself! There are plenty of people with red hair…
Hector: Quiet! Now I’m sure–
the boy was a Pheraen. No matter how close we may be, I’ll not–I’ll not give up my daughter!
Eliwood: Hector! Let’s hope your dream doesn’t come true, eh? For my sake.

Link for citation.

18 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I kinda wondering that as well. I'm kinda wondering if Hector could might have said that to Eliwood since Lilina could might have told the past Hector what happened to the other Hector and his future about what happened during in The Binding Blade. We haven't heard about Lilina's mother and she did died before the events in The Binding Blade.

Actually, we don't really know that. Seeing as neither she nor her fate are mentioned at all in FE6.

1 minute ago, Just call me AL said:

Hector outright says that he wouldn't give up his eventual daughter during his B support with Eliwood.

Link for citation.

Actually, we don't really know that. Seeing as neither she nor her fate are mentioned at all in FE6.

If Lilina's mother didn't die, it raises the question of where she is in FE6, mostly an Occam's Razor explanation.

2 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Link for citation.

20 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

I think it's an allusion to Eliwood and Hector's FE7 support where Hector gets rather upset about his dream of a red haired boy taking his daughter away. As others have said, it's basically Hector being over-protective.

I did?

As for Hector's wife, I think dying is a pretty safe assumption. Like the other topic I saw recently about whether Sue is Rath's daughter, it's never explicitly stated, but given the available information, it seems the most likely. Now, if we want to be 100% true to what the writers intended, Lilina's mother is unimportant and so they never bothered with her, but we have no indication to think that divorce exists In Elibe, and her absence due to travels or something seems more likely to be mentioned in the context of FE6 that her death, which presumably have been long enough ago to not really be worth mentioning between characters.

3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Link for citation.

In addition to @bottlegnomes, also see:

21 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Interesting to note, Roy is the EXACT kind of son that Hector did not want. In FE6 its shown that they did at very least had respectful relationship with each other(if only because of situation. Lilina is shown to be affectionate to Eliwood) but Roy basically checkmarks all of Hector's do not want list

In both that Eliwood support and in the Love Abounds paralogue, Hector comes off as bad father who obviously has no regard for the opinions of his daughter. The fact that Roy is pretty obviously a standup individual who would care for Lilina makes his "overprotectiveness" (I prefer the term "possessiveness" to communicate how creepy I find it) come off in an even worse light. The fact that some fathers do behave that way shouldn't be used as an excuse.

I'm very glad my own father-in-law didn't behave in that manner. I'm also glad my own parents weren't that possessive of me, for all that in general, it's usually daughters who aren't trusted to make their own decisions in romance by these sorts of people.

21 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

In both that Eliwood support and in the Love Abounds paralogue, Hector comes off as bad father who obviously has no regard for the opinions of his daughter. The fact that Roy is pretty obviously a standup individual who would care for Lilina makes his "overprotectiveness" (I prefer the term "possessiveness" to communicate how creepy I find it) come off in an even worse light. The fact that some fathers do behave that way shouldn't be used as an excuse.

I'm very glad my own father-in-law didn't behave in that manner. I'm also glad my own parents weren't that possessive of me, for all that in general, it's usually daughters who aren't trusted to make their own decisions in romance by these sorts of people.

Thank you, I was a bit scared to post about this myself, but I am glad to see I am not alone with this opinion. I find Hector's behaviour neither charming nor understandable. It's rather creepy how in this society "daughters must be protected from everything, including themselves" is still the accepted standard.