Ephraim, Legendary Lord (new Legendary Hero confirmed)

Armagon

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Here's a reminder (along with all of the examples @silveraura25 gave) that Brave Roy comes with Steady Blow instead of Swift Sparrow, which would have complemented Blazing Durandal far better because the Blazing Durandal + Galeforce build requires him to have high Atk and Spd, not Spd and Def.

And let us not forget the most genius decision the devs have ever made of giving Defiant Res to a unit with just 13 Res, with their decision of giving Defiant Atk to a unit with 22 Atk being a close second. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

And let us not forget the most genius decision the devs have ever made of giving Defiant Res to a unit with just 13 Res, with their decision of giving Defiant Atk to a unit with 22 Atk being a close second. 

Ore no kokoro wa kore o toru koto ga dekinai
"My heart can't take this" in Japanese according to Google Translate. But a majority of the kits at the game's launch were enough to make you burst out laughing. For example, Threaten Res on Oboro. You could use that as support, but these days no one in their right mind would give a unit a defensive stat decreasing skill that's not targeted by their weapon type unless IS introduces double threatens (I want this so much).

Edited by silveraura25

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Over time, they've gotten better about giving units skills that are at least somewhat functional on them. But yeah, there are still plenty of skills that stand out as suboptimal.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

Over time, they've gotten better about giving units skills that are at least somewhat functional on them. But yeah, there are still plenty of skills that stand out as suboptimal.

Yeah, I'm not denying that they haven't gotten better on that front. For one, I'm pretty sure SF!Camilla being the last unit to get a Defiant skill is not a coincidence.

13 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

with their decision of giving Defiant Atk to a unit with 22 Atk being a close second. 

At least Defiant Atk results in a +14 Atk boost for Odin due to Blarblade's effect, which is probably what they were going for (even if they failed miserably because the 50% HP threshold is hard to use in practice).

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

There is not much to do, just give him an assist skill and he is set. He may profit from defensive buffs and his infantry pulse is a nice feature to build a team around. 

Thanks for the advice. Now I just gotta pull one of the colorless units from this banner because I'm particular about team composition.

What's sad is that IS acknowledges that defiant skills are trash. They introduced brazens which have a higher hp threshold requirement, boost 2 stats, gives more stats and isn't a a field buff (meaning that you can get hones and fortifies on top of brazens). I would't even put fighter skills in the same category of powercreep as defiant skills since those skills are exclusive to armor units and the bar was already low for defiants. Perhaps instead of aiming for powercreep they fixed what they wanted to do with defiants.

Edited by silveraura25

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

At least Defiant Atk results in a +14 Atk boost for Odin due to Blarblade's effect, which is probably what they were going for (even if they failed miserably because the 50% HP threshold is hard to use in practice).

The fact they chose to give him atrocious Atk to begin with certainly didn't help either. I mean, I understand why he got a low Atk due to his backstory but they went way too overboard with it.

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

The fact they chose to give him atrocious Atk to begin with certainly didn't help either. I mean, I understand why he got a low Atk due to his backstory but they went way too overboard with it.

I'm not familiar with it since I'm biased for Nyx in Conquest. Fill me in on his backstory.

Edited by silveraura25

1 minute ago, silveraura25 said:

I'm not familiar with it since I'm biased for Nyx in Conquest. Fill me in on his backstory.

Spoiler

He didn't start off as a magic user given that he's Owain from Awakening, who was a myrmidon and thus a sword fighter. He only got turned into a Dark Mage right after he got brought into Fates's world.

6 hours ago, Kaden said:

Do you really, really want a flying mage that you would sink in all your hard-earned and perhaps bought orbs?

The first full summon I did set the tone of "Go screw yourself" like the past two banners -- I was able to get success with the first one with Celica, Deirdre, regular Ike, and spring Xander showing up -- and sure enough, out of four full summons, I only had a +Spd, -Atk Gunnthra and my first regular Lilina (+Atk, -HP) after she refused to show up anywhere else and after I was able yo get her Valentine's self on the first try as noteworthy summons. Everyone else either had nothing to offer like Est, Gaius, and 3* healers or just irritated me like another -Spd Jeorge showing up. Basically, nobody like Abel, Barst, Cain, Gunther, Oscar, Selena, or Subaki who have good passives or movement skills. Sure, can't have that, can we?

I wanted Gunnthra the least because she's eventually, probably going to be a freebie story unit and I only use their neutral selves who for some dumb reason aren't locked in your barracks since you can send the last, only copy of them home or use them for skill inheritance. Had Fjorm ever showed up before, she would have been used for any of her skills even if she were +Atk, +Res, whatever.

At least I was able to get a 5* unit and a legendary hero, but man do I wish it was someone else other than Gunnthra. Legendary banners have been awful for me since after the first one and I only did that many summons out of boredom to see what I could get and a desperate hope for PA Olivia. The last two banners I stopped at one or two full summons.

After seeing what SF!Camilla is doing for my flier team, I would gladly welcome another flying mage. The ability to attack at range is very valuable. The amount of fliers that I field is also very limited so I like having the flexibility to try different things especially for GHB elite quests that require units of the same movement type.

While I am a stickler for boons/banes, they're not something that can't be worked around if you want to use the unit. I just adapt to it since there's not much else that I can do.  

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

After four of the damn things, I'm begging you to just take them from me. I wanted maybe one of them and then an Ephraim. Got four of them and no Ephraim after a similar amount of orbs spent. Oh well. Good luck if you continue to keep on going for her -.- 

The desire sensor is real. I wasn't going for Ephraim but I got 2 of him. Funny thing is, I was telling myself that it'd be nice if I can avoid the legendary heroes for another banner but Gunnthrá decides to show up too. I'd trade him for a Corrin if I can. I might just call it quits on this banner though. Don't feel like grinding for orbs. 

Edited by tobuShogi

4 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

What's sad is that IS acknowledges that defiant skills are trash. I would't even put fighter skills in the same category of powercreep as defiant skills since those skills are exclusive to armor units. They introduced brazens which have a higher hp threshold requirement, boost 2 stats, gives more stats and isn't a a field buff (meaning that you can get hones and fortifies on top of brazens).

Technically speaking, replacing something that is far below the curve with something else that is on or below the curve is not power creep.

Brazen Atk/Spd, while good, is still roughly on par with Life and Death and Swift Sparrow because of the setup required to activate it. Your first round of combat is guaranteed to be without the stat boost unless your opponent is running passive damage skills or you gave up a mobility assist skill for Ardent Sacrifice, and you still need to actually take a counterattack to activate the skill (i.e. killing in a single hit or attacking an opponent that cannot counterattack doesn't help you activate the skill).

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

With Defiant Atk active, Odin had the equivalent of 28 base Atk compared to other Litrblade users with Hone Atk or 30 base Atk compared to other Litrblade users with Sieglinde buffs before Skill Inheritance was implemented, which isn't terrible.

The problem was that the 50% HP threshold being garbage to use (75% could be reliably activated using Ardent Sacrifice on units with 40 HP or fewer) and the fact that Skill Inheritance became a thing, giving all other Litrblade users the option of also running offensively functional A skills.

13 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

The desire sensor is real. I wasn't going for Ephraim but I got 2 of him. Funny thing is, I was telling myself that it'd be nice if I can avoid the legendary heroes for another banner but Gunnthrá decides to show up too. I'd trade him for a Corrin if I can. I might just call it quits on this banner though. Don't feel like grinding for orbs. 

It's typical really. I don't actually welcome trading for the game, but would definitely let that stance slide this time. I think this is the first time I haven't got a hero I wanted from a banner since I began actually putting money into the game -.- 

I suppose there must be set backs. I really have to learn to be patient with these things. Ephraim will come round again, and hopefully with Hardin tagging along so I can get two heroes I want. Wouldn't mind if Lyn added to that, too. Didn't go for her on love abounds but wouldn't be unhappy if she happened to be there :)

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Technically speaking, replacing something that is far below the curve with something else that is on or below the curve is not power creep.

Brazen Atk/Spd, while good, is still roughly on par with Life and Death and Swift Sparrow because of the setup required to activate it. Your first round of combat is guaranteed to be without the stat boost unless your opponent is running passive damage skills or you gave up a mobility assist skill for Ardent Sacrifice, and you still need to actually take a counterattack to activate the skill (i.e. killing in a single hit or attacking an opponent that cannot counterattack doesn't help you activate the skill).

I edited my post a bit to state that the bar was already low with defiants, but you sum it up.

Brazens are good skills for armors and refined Sol Katti Lyn, but those 2 skills are definitely the clear superior on non-armour units.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

With Defiant Atk active, Odin had the equivalent of 28 base Atk compared to other Litrblade users with Hone Atk or 30 base Atk compared to other Litrblade users with Sieglinde buffs before Skill Inheritance was implemented, which isn't terrible.

The problem was that the 50% HP threshold being garbage to use (75% could be reliably activated using Ardent Sacrifice on units with 40 HP or fewer) and the fact that Skill Inheritance became a thing, giving all other Litrblade users the option of also running offensively functional A skills.

actually its not Brazen Skills are far superior then Life and Death. its a matter of using 1 ardent sacriface or get hit with like 6-8 Aoe dmg to get into Brazen range. While this is hardly doable in Arena without Ardent Sacriface, its very much doable in PVE content. The Brazen skills offer alot of bulk. 2 Spd can be the matter of being doubled or not and 5 def and 5 res can be the matter of being killed in that one nuke/attack.

I'm happy for Ephraim, and I think most of the players have put it in their heads that the CYL 2 winners are getting Alts. instead of the full-blown Brave Hero treatment, me being one of those players. If IS is still planning on making them Brave Heroes, then I'm mad. Hey I'm happy that Ephraim got his thing, but that should've been given to Marth. Marth is still neglected, and I and many others thought the refine would give Marth justice, but no. Instead, Alm becomes the best Falchion, and Marth becomes the worst. That's not what we wanted. If IS is still giving us this BS, then we'll have to wait until CYL if we want another Marth. I want to rally all the Marth fans from Smash and FE to give the Hero-King his justice! #RallyMarth

16 minutes ago, ImsoniaticGamer said:

I'm happy for Ephraim, and I think most of the players have put it in their heads that the CYL 2 winners are getting Alts. instead of the full-blown Brave Hero treatment, me being one of those players. If IS is still planning on making them Brave Heroes, then I'm mad. Hey I'm happy that Ephraim got his thing, but that should've been given to Marth. Marth is still neglected, and I and many others thought the refine would give Marth justice, but no. Instead, Alm becomes the best Falchion, and Marth becomes the worst. That's not what we wanted. If IS is still giving us this BS, then we'll have to wait until CYL if we want another Marth. I want to rally all the Marth fans from Smash and FE to give the Hero-King his justice! #RallyMarth

It specifically says in the notice that this isn't Brave Ephraim.

Edit: At least, I think the old one did. I can't seem to find it though.

Edited by Arthur97

Well, the desire sensor was on my side this time. Got Corrin in 10 orbs. Not idea nature, but hardly a horrid one, -hp/+res. Despite wanting Ephraim because legendary hero, I feel like I should dip since it feels like the banner could only get worse from here.

Edited by bottlegnomes

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

It’s in the post that had the banner trailer.

Yeah, but they took it down apparently once the banner released. It's probably on the wiki though if anyone wants confirmation.

Edit: Guess they didn't.

Edited by Arthur97

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

actually its not Brazen Skills are far superior then Life and Death. its a matter of using 1 ardent sacriface or get hit with like 6-8 Aoe dmg to get into Brazen range. While this is hardly doable in Arena without Ardent Sacriface, its very much doable in PVE content. The Brazen skills offer alot of bulk. 2 Spd can be the matter of being doubled or not and 5 def and 5 res can be the matter of being killed in that one nuke/attack.

"Hardly doable in Arena without Ardent Sacrifice" is a very severe restriction, and that's precisely why Brazen Atk/Spd is not far superior to Life and Death.

Savage Blow can only drop a unit to 80% HP if the unit has 35 HP or fewer, and that's a rather small list of units that is made even smaller by refinements and merges. Pain+ is never seen in PvE content outside of special maps and it can hardly be called common even with that reduced scope.

When it is active, Brazen Atk/Spd is superior to Life and Death in pretty much every way (the only downside is you are guaranteed to have at least 7-9 fewer points of HP), but getting it to activate for enough rounds of combat to actually matter is the entire problem. The most notable situations where it will actually matter are Tempest Trials, Chain Challenges, reinforcement maps, and single-unit solo map clears.

Welp, pretty upset I haven't gotten Ephraim yet. Even spent money. I guess I'll have to wait for that new mode to come out to get more orbs. Also some new quests will be coming out for March, so that should help me out a little bit. I at least got Mia though, she's one I wanted to get for a while now. Actually, her and Hector are the only characters I wanted. Now it's just Legendary Hero Ephraim and Hector.

I know it's still just the first day, but if I don't get Ephraim, I'm not spending a single orb until he returns on the April legendary banner. Also, if it wasn't for corrin being my only flying mage and +Atk as well, I would have sent her home out of spite by now.

Edited by Korath88