Why you should pick Birthright (spoilers)

Schleimann

Slight spoilers ahead, beware!

In Fire Emblem Fates, there is a conflict between the peace-loving Hoshidans (Japanese) and the warmongering imperialistic Nohrians (westerners).

The westerners don’t have enough resources in their own country to support their economy so they resort to conquest and imperialism instead. They want to increase their sphere of influence at the expense of the Japanese. This is why they want to have a war with the Japanese.

Anyways, the Japanese try to use appeasement politics to avoid a total war, but ultimately, the westerners launch a treacherous undeclared attack on the Japanese (which is really wrong and something the Japanese would never do). Because of this attack, the Japanese go (against their will) into full-on war against the invading westerners.

Join the Japanese, protect the country of the rising sun dragon and stop Marx's threat!

I chose Conquest cuz it's a much more challenging game.

Storywise, the Hoshidans were kinda being dicks by not sharing their plentiful crops with their dirt poor Nohrian neighbors, who couldn't even grow weeds on their barren lands.

Plus Japan invaded my grandparents' countries during WWII, so comparing Hoshido to Japan doesn't put it in greatest light IMO.  I saw Conquest more as the American (Nohr) army overcoming the Japanese imperialists (Hoshido).

This post reeks of lazy politics. 

Both America and Japan embodied imperialist values in the mid 20th century. There is no real need to outline Hirohito's system of government, but in short, consider Japan's relation to Taiwan and China between 1918 and 1935. 

Obviously the negative side of American imperalism, particularly in central america, should not be overlooked either, but I feel like absurd "saintification" of the nations that America acted against is un-constructive and seems aimed more at self-sharming than actually trying to appeal for a more progressive foreign policy . Even if you do feel like 20th century America's unflattering history is being whitewashed,  taking a sentimental view of Japan is no way to help correct people.

As for Fates itself, it's just a pulp fantasy story, the polictics of the story are totally irrelavant and only exist to justify the conflict and the gameplay 

20 hours ago, Schleimann said:

the westerners launch a treacherous undeclared attack on the Japanese (which is really wrong and something the Japanese would never do)

YAGpXPd.png

May I ask that you double-check your "facts" before saying things like that?