Favorite and least favorite character endings

Thane

Hello there.

I believe the title is pretty self-explanatory. What are (some of) your favorite and least favorite character endings? This is entirely subjective, but try to keep eventual bashing to a minimum, if you please.

Least favorite: Delthea

After the war, Delthea decided to lock away her magic and pursue a wild and happy life as an ordinary woman. She found herself the perfect husband at court, but made a point to return to her village often, where she would liven things up with tales of her brother.

The girl who spends the entire game raving about her magical prowess, wanting compliments and having fun seals her magic off. I guess it could be interpreted as her not wanting to be able to be controlled again, but shouldn't that important piece of information have been stated? Then she returns to the village she and her brother lived in, to liven it up with...tales of her brother? Is this after he leaves, he sends her letters and she updates the village? Even if that's the case, wasn't their support about how no one actually likes Luthier? 

It's honestly just a mess that requires guess work in order to piece it together.

Ike in Radiant Dawn gets a dishonorable mention for ditching his sister and father's legacy. I get it, he doesn't want to be a hero, but I thought Tellius was flooded, so where does he go, and why does he have to stay there forever?

Favorite: Jesse

After successfully founding a mercenary kingdom in Grieth's former land, Jesse then proved successful at ruling it. In times of strife, he worked with Alm to secure peace. Tales of his valor are told even now, in which he's reverentially called "the Steel Amidst the Sand.

I don't know why I'm such a sucker for this one, but I like how such a minor character did something so great. He creates his own Outer Heaven, making him the flirty Big Boss of the Fire Emblem series.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a favorite, as there aren't really any in particular that I like a lot. I guess Frederick and Cherche's paired ending since it implies they become a power couple. lol

Least favorite is a no brainer though:

Ike.

Not only is it cliche, it doesn't even make one bit of sense for him and actually contradicts things he's said in-game. The guy who promises never to leave Mist and always look after his father's mercenary group...just leaves the continent forever with no explanation. And as an Ike x Elincia shipper, this ending also kind of steps on that for me too. I could work around it, but not without going a bit AU.

Least Favorite: Any of the "disappeared forever" endings. For some characters, such as Navarre, it makes sense. The guy doesn't talk with anyone that much, it makes sense why he would just vanish. I don't mind this type of ending if it makes sense for a character. But then you have Ike, who disappears.....why, exactly? There was literally no reason for him to leave. But by far, the worst example of this ending is Azura's ending in Revelation if she marries Corrin

The two spent the rest of their lives together, Avatar ruling as a wise King of Valla. There are few records of Azura beyond her marriage. She remains a historical mystery.

Someone please explain to me how the Queen of Valla just disappears from the history books, yet her husband and children make their mark in history. It makes Ike's disappearance look tame. Even as someone who loves Azura, this ending bothers me to no end.

Favorite: Hadn't really thought of it. I guess Eliwood and Ninian's ending because it foreshadows Binding Blade, which is my 2nd favorite game in the series

Eliwood and Ninian were wed after the conflict. Ninian gave up her old life and her people to enjoy a brief life with Eliwood. They have a son named Roy, who will one day take up arms to defend his nation.

Edited by Armagon

Character ending isn't something I prioritize so I don't really have a favourite. I just love Hector x Lyn so If I had to pick one, it would be their ending.

I do however hate Almost every single Paired Ending in Radiant dawn.

I love Rd to death but the character ending are just so bad.

Sothe and Micaiah: Micaiah literally married the child she raised.

Jill and Haar: Isn't Jill like 20-15 years younger then him? Plus Haar never showed any interest in her, he just took care of her merely because Shiharam was his Commander and her owned his life to him.

The Greil mercenaries disbanding. Like why? Weren't they like family!?

Ike and Soren: Exploring isn't wrong and they did deserve a break but 'Never to be seen again'? It basically implies that both he and Soren died or something.

Edited by Skylorella Con

Favorite

"Sonya's search for a cure for women turned into witches took her across the land. Her trail ended in a remote region, after which she was never seen again. Rumors fly, however, that shortly thereafter a new witch took up residence in Nuibaba's abode on Fear Mountain."

so dark...

Least favorite: Michalis 

"Accounts are conflicted about Michalis after the war. Some said he ruled over Macedon once again, while others claimed he departed to conquer another continent."

Um...NO!  Not only should you've remained dead but everyone in the world knows you shouldn't even be near a throne. Micalis himself certainly thought so earlier in the story. The idea he might possibly even rule a whole continent sounds terrible both for the writing and for that poor, poor continent. 

Favorite ending: Boey and Mae

"After returning to the priory on Novis, Boey weathered a trying courtship with Mae until the two were wed. Children came soon and in plentiful number, giving the pair a host of new excuses to argue. Joy takes curious forms at times, but Boey was a happy man indeed."

It seems like a cute ending for the two of them and a neat resolution of their relation. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

My favorite and least favorite endings are pretty much the same as @Thane.

Shout out goes to all the shared endings of Fates that are all copy-pasted.  Yes, they have lots of characters and pairings to work through, but they gave the Awakening cast (at least for the ladies, anyway) unique shared endings, and that game has roughly the same amount of characters, so there's no excuse.  Not much of a fan of numerous characters vanishing for no good reason, either.

Most of the rest are okay.  I don't pay attention to them much.  I typically prefer when the endings make sense, which makes a lot of the earlier games' endings kind of bad since things just kind of happen without any explanation, although remakes generally have fixed these issues.

Favorite:

Lucina unpaired  ending and with Owain:

"Lucina disappeared after whispering these words to her infant self: "Yours will be a happy future." Did she journey to another land or back to her own time? ...No one knows for certain."

Lucina and Owain

"Owain set off on a lengthy quest with Lucina to "stay his sword hand." Did they simply journey to another land, or did they return to their own time? None know for certain."

The way I see it , Lucina doesn't belong in the present beciae it is too alien to her. And I feel it is Ike's ending better presented.

Least favorite: 

Minerva's New Mystery ending:

Minerva renounced her claim to the throne and worked at a convent. She regained her bond with her brother, and they became close as they once were.

After fighting her brother for years, she gives up the throne to be a nun? I know that she is reluctant to become a leader, but if Marth can do it so can her. 

Worst: Kellam's solo ending. Gone is one thing, gone AND forgotten? I mean, going nameless in the chronicles of history is one thing compared to some of the women in that game, but having your closest friends not even recognize your absence would be beyond sad.

Best: Probably canon pairing endings like Marth/Caeda and Alm/Celica. Because while unrealistic, the origins of their love was in the early 90s, so I can give them a pass. And they tried to make the latter as believable as they could.

Least favourite: Without question, Canas. Cursed continuity! Any BS remake fixing this would be alright in my books. Screw Pent, Canas coming to the party in BB would be OP as fuck.

Closely followed by the vast numbers of people who just disappear afterwards.

Delthea and to a lesser extend Mathilda are also up there, neither of them using their talents again feels out of place and those close to them would be quite quick to go "But why?"

Favourite: I can't really say, can I?

Probably my favourite headcanon based on one is Kliff. Now you might wonder why it's not lumped in with the others. 1. We know a bit about what happened because of his kid. 2. Headcanon suggests that he's married into the Forseti bloodline.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Favorite: Jesse

After successfully founding a mercenary kingdom in Grieth's former land, Jesse then proved successful at ruling it. In times of strife, he worked with Alm to secure peace. Tales of his valor are told even now, in which he's reverentially called "the Steel Amidst the Sand.

I don't know why I'm such a sucker for this one, but I like how such a minor character did something so great. He creates his own Outer Heaven, making him the flirty Big Boss of the Fire Emblem series.

So you're saying war never changes, even in FE?

You're not wrong.

I don't really have a least favorite that wasn't already stated, that said...

The masochist in me absolutely adores the alternate endings for if  x character is dead in Echoes/Gaiden. I love a  good bad ending, and that game has a lot of them.

20 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Worst: Kellam's solo ending. Gone is one thing, gone AND forgotten? I mean, going nameless in the chronicles of history is one thing compared to some of the women in that game, but having your closest friends not even recognize your absence would be beyond sad.

I'd say that's actually better than his paired endings, where it says "[Insert Kellams' wife's' ending here] Her husband's name has been lost to history". Also, being forgotten is Kellam's entire personality quirk, so it's true to his character.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Micaiah becoming queen of Daein.

I absolutely despise ending where hero “disappears forever”. It’s so obvious that they writes didn’t know what to do. The only type of trope I hate more is when a villain is defeated by the hero and it seems like the villain will get a redemption arc and join the heroes, but then something happens and the villain dies protecting the hero. Redemption arcs have so much amazing potential and are usually the best part of a story, so it infuriates me when this trope happens because it’s so much missed potential.

1 hour ago, Skylorella Con said:

Character ending isn't something I prioritize so I don't really have a favourite. I just love Hector x Lyn so If I had to pick one, it would be their ending.

Sothe and Micaiha: Micaiha literally married the child she raised.

Jill and Haar: Isn't Jill like 20-15 years younger then him? Plus Haar never showed any interest in her, he just took care of her merely because Shiharam was his Commander and her owned his life to him.

Ike and Soren: Exploring isn't wrong and they did deserve a break but 'Never to be seen again'? It basically implies that both he and Soren died or something.

Yeah, actually, I dislike how RD ended in general, so I agree here. I've only completed the game once due to that. And poor Gatrie, finding many women and never true love. That saddened me. And Geoffrey and Elincia were stepsiblings marrying one another. Like, ew. They're not as bad as Corrin marrying any of the Fates siblings or Azura, but they still were creepy to a degree too.

It also was a missed opportunity for certain viable pairs to get endings themselves: Kieran x Marcia, Rolf x Mist, Aran x Laura, and Zihark x Ilyana, to name a few.

Edited by Anacybele

Worst Ending:

"The fires of war had illuminated the dark recesses of Zeke's memory. But he loved Tatiana too much to burden her with his tortuous past, so he chose to bear it in silence as they lived out their lives together."

Best Ending:

"The loss of Tatiana, the woman who had loved him deeply and unconditionally, shook Zeke with grief. He abruptly vanished from Valentia shortly after the war ended, and while some claim to have sighted him in Archanea, none of those sightings were confirmed."

^Just saying...^

Beyond that, Ike just abandoning Tellius is stupid as are most of the disappeared forever endings. Kellam takes the cake though.

As for favorites, basically every ending in Sacred Stones. I am racking my brain to come up with an actually bad ending in that game and I just can't think of one. Shout-outs to these Eirika and Seth for being beautiful and Ephriam and Myrrh. I really like platonic endings like that one. It's just such a sweet ending (even though I usually pair Ephraim with Tana).

I'm also partial to any endings with Red-Green knights together.

It said that Titania remained second in command in her RD ending. 

Scarlet-Haired Paladin (紅の聖騎士)
"Titania remained second in command of the mercenaries. Once a year, she visited the graves of her fallen friends."

It said that Titania remained second in command in her RD ending. 

Spoiler

Scarlet-Haired Paladin (紅の聖騎士)
"Titania remained second in command of the mercenaries. Once a year, she visited the graves of her fallen friends."

But then why are all the other Greil Mercenaries no longer there. Who is the leader now?

Edited by Icelerate

2 hours ago, Skylorella Con said:

So what Jill is 20 or so years younger than Haar? There isn't a rule that says two people have to be about the same age if they want to have a relationship.

Oscar goes back to the Crimean army (at Elincia's request) and Mia went off to find her "rival in white". That's hardly "disbanding".Also, it's a bit hard for Titania to be second-in-command of the GM's if the group disbanded (as stated in her ending posted above).

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And Geoffrey and Elincia were stepsiblings marrying one another. Like, ew.

And poor Gatrie, finding many women and never true love.

The game says that Geoffrey and Lucia are "milk-siblings", but that's not the same as being flesh-and-blood siblings at all. Also, Geoffrey and Lucia are from from the house of Count Delbray, while Elincia isn't, meaning that Geoffrey and Elincia aren't related at all.

Sounds like Gatrie got a lot of sex, so it's not all that bad.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The game says that Elincia and Lucia are "milk-sisters", but Geoffrey and Lucia are from from the house of Count Delbray, while Elincia isn't. So Geoffrey and Elincia aren't related at all.

Sounds like Gatrie got a lot of sex, so it's not all that bad.

You don't have to be related by blood to be siblings or even just family at all. I have stepbrothers that I've grown up with, just like Elincia grew up with Geoffrey and Lucia as step/foster siblings (and the Tellius artbooks even say they were raised as siblings). Would you approve of me marrying one of my brothers? I certainly would never!

But Gatrie seemed like he wanted to settle down, not just get sex. That's just how I saw him.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't remember that many endings, but...

I think Nino's fits as a dislike, because no matter what you do she is hunted by assassins who were dropped out of nowhere as a plot thing, then she leaves her children in a convent and is never seen again. We have no idea where her pursuers came from or why exactly they exist, this seems like a necessary convoluted solution to tie with Lugh and Raigh's stories in FE6 and nothing more.

Any paired ending with Priscila also fits. I dislike how, in any given situation, she's going to abandon her pair to follow her edgy, revenge bent brother without actually moving on with her life. It feels as if she never moved on from square one and nothing that happened ingame actually mattered to her as a character.

Ike's ending on Radiant Dawn beats them as my most disliked ending, though.

Then... uh, I like EliwoodxNinian's ending, despite her ressurrection being an ass pull. It also adds a layer of irony in that it makes Roy a half dragon who eventually stops dragons from taking over the continent.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You don't have to be related by blood to be siblings or even just family at all. I have stepbrothers that I've grown up with, just like Elincia grew up with Geoffrey and Lucia. Would you approve of me marrying one of my brothers? I certainly would never!

Elincia and Geoffrey may have been raised as siblings but the truth of the matter is, they aren't. I'm no expert in medieval history but i'm gonna go ahead and assume that marriages between step-siblings were common. And even today, there's no law that says that step-siblings can't marry. After all, its not incest. It's probably frowned upon but i do remember my World Geography teacher back in my Freshmen year of High School telling the story of how his cousin married his step-sister (the cousin's step-sister, not my teacher's).

On another note, did Elincia ever display any signs of romantic affection for Geoffrey? I haven't played Radiant Dawn, so i wouldn't know.

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You don't have to be related by blood to be siblings or even just family at all. I have stepbrothers that I've grown up with, just like Elincia grew up with Geoffrey and Lucia as step/foster siblings (and the Tellius artbooks even say they were raised as siblings). Would you approve of me marrying one of my brothers? I certainly would never!

But Gatrie seemed like he wanted to settle down, not just get sex. That's just how I saw him.

As far as I'm concerned if you aren't blood-related, it's fine. You are related by the blood of one of your parents to your step-brothers, Elincia and Geoffrey aren't.

Gatrie hits on anything vaguely female, men like that do not settle down.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Elincia and Geoffrey may have been raised as siblings but the truth of the matter is, they aren't. I'm no expert in medieval history but i'm gonna go ahead and assume that marriages between step-siblings were common. And even today, there's no law that says that step-siblings can't marry. After all, its not incest. It's probably frowned upon but i do remember my World Geography teacher back in my Freshmen year of High School telling the story of how his cousin married his step-sister (the cousin's step-sister, not my teacher's).

On another note, did Elincia ever display any signs of romantic affection for Geoffrey? I haven't played Radiant Dawn, so i wouldn't know.

Yet people complain a lot about Corrin marrying any of the Fates siblings because they constantly refer to one another as family/siblings. And yet are fine with Corrin and Azura who are straight-up literal incest.

Elincia never did, no, at least not in English. She may have in Japanese, I have no idea. But in PoR, she treats Geoffrey like an overprotective big brother by literally telling him to back off (at least, that's how I see it), and then in RD, she's nothing but really formal with him. "Geoffrey, you are surely my finest and most faithful knight."

She's very relieved to see him to the point of crying his name at part 2 Endgame, but why wouldn't she have been? She was kind of in the middle of a big fight that she probably felt cornered in.

If anything, only Geoffrey showed some interest in her, not the other way around. He acts like he can't live without her. Though this could also be interpreted as him being that devoted to her in the way Frederick is with Chrom and Lissa in Awakening (but without Frederick's overachieving). He'd certainly say he can't live without them either. lol

It's all down to interpretation in the end, and I simply saw it more as a sibling relationship.

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Least favorite: Delthea

The girl who spends the entire game raving about her magical prowess, wanting compliments and having fun seals her magic off. I guess it could be interpreted as her not wanting to be able to be controlled again, but shouldn't that important piece of information have been stated? Then she returns to the village she and her brother lived in, to liven it up with...tales of her brother? Is this after he leaves, he sends her letters and she updates the village? Even if that's the case, wasn't their support about how no one actually likes Luthier? 

It's honestly just a mess that requires guess work in order to piece it together.

Delthea says a couple of times that she never really asked to be a prodigy and just wants to be normal.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Least favorite: 

Minerva's New Mystery ending:

After fighting her brother for years, she gives up the throne to be a nun? I know that she is reluctant to become a leader, but if Marth can do it so can her. 

Her failed rule is the explanation. She tried to rule Macedon but the people rebelled against her. Yes, Hardin influenced the rebellion but remember that the people of Macedon hailed Michalis as the second coming of Iote, their country's founder. Minerva 'betrayed' her country so they probably didn't think highly of her.