Favorite and least favorite character endings

Thane

2 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Wasn't Saber/Genny shot down completely in Echoes because their endings never change? I mean Genny or Saber could marry a corpse if the other dies, but I don't think thats what they where going for

That's one of the things against it but until we have proper confirmation, we'll never know.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I have a favorite character ending, but Wolf's ending in FE12 always stayed with me so I'd like to give it some praise:

Wolf - Aurelian Hero

After the war, Wolf set his sights for Aurelis. As if searching for death, he threw himself recklessly into battle, one after the next...

I'm not a fan of most of the changes FE12 made to FE3's story, being able to save characters who previously could not saved included (Michalis has already been discussed in this thread for example). Despite my grievances, what they did with Wolf is the exception that I don't completely dislike. The fact that he never recovers from the events of the war like the rest of the Wolfguard, as well as the implications of this ending paint a very grim picture that's still consistent with his character. It's probably the best direction they could've taken with him after no longer having the dilemma of being forced to fight some of your former allies with no way of recruiting them.

My least favorite I'd say is... a tie between Michalis and Minvera if Michalis is alive in FE12, yeah. Unlike other bad endings that aren't consistent with the character(s), these endings also change a story that was already told years before in a strictly negative way, and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

To that guy complaining about Mathilda's ending, while I agree it could be better, it happened due to Japanese values. Mainly, the Japanese view a women's role to be the caretaker of her home and family. It's the guy's job to be the provider, thus the women is expected to stop working and instead focus on looking after the kids. While sexist, it's also somewhat practical due to the work culture in Japan. And by work culture, I mean a culture where they have their own term for when somebody dies from working too much.

My favourite and least favourite is Sonya's from SoV.

I like how mysterious and dark it is, but I also dislike it for that reason. I don't know if that makes any sense but yeah.

I can't think of too many right off the top of my head, but Kellam and Izana really stood out to me as having the bad end of the stick in their endings in FE13 and FE14. I always liked hearing the happy endings and how characters went on to influence the world in the games I've played so far. Those two just had really depressing endings in comparison, Kellam never escaping obscurity and Izana's life going downhill post-war

Edited by Arcphoenix

In defense of Sonya's ending, her becoming a witch is just  a rumor, and no one actually saw her again. It could be that she just became a recluse at Nuibaba's mansion and people assumed she was a scary witch because the last master there was a scary witch.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Least Favorite: Any of the "disappeared forever" endings. For some characters, such as Navarre, it makes sense. The guy doesn't talk with anyone that much, it makes sense why he would just vanish. I don't mind this type of ending if it makes sense for a character. But then you have Ike, who disappears.....why, exactly? There was literally no reason for him to leave. But by far, the worst example of this ending is Azura's ending in Revelation if she marries Corrin

Someone please explain to me how the Queen of Valla just disappears from the history books, yet her husband and children make their mark in history. It makes Ike's disappearance look tame. Even as someone who loves Azura, this ending bothers me to no end

It's not actually that hard to imagine. Azura is very secretive and even in Revelation where she plays the largest role, the story is focused on the Great Uniter Corrin™. People generally make note of the actions of kings, not the women who birth their children.

The children epilogues are a little BS, but you need to pick and choose your battles when it comes to bad Fates writing.

6 hours ago, Rapier said:

Any paired ending with Priscila also fits. I dislike how, in any given situation, she's going to abandon her pair to follow her edgy, revenge bent brother without actually moving on with her life. It feels as if she never moved on from square one and nothing that happened ingame actually mattered to her as a character

You clearly didn't read her endings. She's unable to marry two of her support  partners because she's a noble and they're commoners, and she can marry the 3rd (Erk) because he has connections to Pent . None of her endings specify following her brother and in Raven's paired ending with Lucius, he gets over his hatred.

22 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

It's not actually that hard to imagine. Azura is very secretive and even in Revelation where she plays the largest role, the story is focused on the Great Uniter Corrin™. People generally make note of the actions of kings, not the women who birth their children.

The thing is, Fire Emblem has always explained what happens to it's main protagonists and other important characters. Like, Ike disappears but the game at least tells us that he stayed in Tellius for a while before leaving and he's not a "mystery", despite his disappearance. Azura, on the other hand, doesn't really have an excuse. Even though she is very secretive, it just doesn't make sense why she doesn't appear in the history books. 

The only other protagonist who vanishes from history is Kris but the game says it was a voluntary decision on Kris' part.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The thing is, Fire Emblem has always explained what happens to it's main protagonists and other important characters. Like, Ike disappears but the game at least tells us that he stayed in Tellius for a while before leaving and he's not a "mystery", despite his disappearance. Azura, on the other hand, doesn't really have an excuse. Even though she is very secretive, it just doesn't make sense why she doesn't appear in the history books. 

The only other protagonist who vanishes from history is Kris but the game says it was a voluntary decision on Kris' part.

I guess the point I'm making is that despite the players identifying Azura as a main character, she's just in the shadow of Corrin as far as most characters are concerned. Fates has always been the Corrin show with Azura whispering in his ear.

Look at every chapter and tell me who is framed as the protagonist.

9 hours ago, Icelerate said:

It said that Titania remained second in command in her RD ending. 

Scarlet-Haired Paladin (紅の聖騎士)
"Titania remained second in command of the mercenaries. Once a year, she visited the graves of her fallen friends."

Apparently, I was wrong about them disbanding, oops.

I tend to skip the endings and credits after my first two runs so my memory wasn't the brightest. Sorry.

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So what Jill is 20 or so years younger than Haar? There isn't a rule that says two people have to be about the same age if they want to have a relationship.

It doesn't have to be the same age but 20 years is a big difference. I don't know, it just feels weird to me. Hence I just dislike it. 

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Oscar goes back to the Crimean army (at Elincia's request) and Mia went off to find her "rival in white". That's hardly "disbanding".Also, it's a bit hard for Titania to be second-in-command of the GM's if the group disbanded (as stated in her ending posted above).

Rhys leaves as well but yes, it's not disbanding.

9 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, actually, I dislike how RD ended in general, so I agree here. I've only completed the game once due to that. And poor Gatrie, finding many women and never true love. That saddened me. And Geoffrey and Elincia were stepsiblings marrying one another. Like, ew. They're not as bad as Corrin marrying any of the Fates siblings or Azura, but they still were creepy to a degree too.

Radiant dawn's ending was decently satisfying disregarding how they treated my poor Micaiah.

I'm don't ship Elincia and Geoffrey either.

Edited by Skylorella Con

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

Thing is, Tatiana's ending with Zeke confirms he goes to Archanea. So it doesn't contradict the canon.

I'm not worried about it contradicting the cannon, I'm worried about it SINKING MY SHIP!!

Also still mad that he has no paired ending with Sanaki I'm kidding. I think.

Same.

Edited by Solvaij
Added something

12 hours ago, RedRob said:

To that guy complaining about Mathilda's ending, while I agree it could be better, it happened due to Japanese values. Mainly, the Japanese view a women's role to be the caretaker of her home and family. It's the guy's job to be the provider, thus the women is expected to stop working and instead focus on looking after the kids. While sexist, it's also somewhat practical due to the work culture in Japan. And by work culture, I mean a culture where they have their own term for when somebody dies from working too much.

While I can definitely see the reasoning behind it, have Mathilda and Clive ever talked about having / wanting to have children?

As an aside - and please DO NOT shoot me for this - it has been proven that children - especially young children (we're talking a few months to 2-3 years old) - are very much in need of a mother figure taking good care of them and giving them love for them to be able to grow up properly.
At the same time, it is proven that fathers only develop "interest" in a child (as in, where they can give them their life lessons and stuff) when said child is a little more grown (about 5 years of age).
You can't win against biology, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Solvaij said:

I'm worried about it SINKING MY SHIP!!

Camus/Nyna? Well, nothing's stopping you from trying to swim against canon I guess.

SoV may have solidified Zeke/Tatiana for me.

9 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

In defense of Sonya's ending, her becoming a witch is just  a rumor, and no one actually saw her again. It could be that she just became a recluse at Nuibaba's mansion and people assumed she was a scary witch because the last master there was a scary witch.

You're not wrong, but it's implied strongly enough that it's the most likely fate for her. Which sucks considering her background, family and Sonya herself.

Also best character endings Genealogy Gen 1.

Also Marty's ending is a surprising chuckle.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

While I can definitely see the reasoning behind it, have Mathilda and Clive ever talked about having / wanting to have children?

They didn't but that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't have children eventually, if they choose to. I mean, Boey and Mae didn't talk about having children, yet they have quite the family in their ending.

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They didn't but that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't have children eventually, if they choose to. I mean, Boey and Mae didn't talk about having children, yet they have quite the family in their ending.

Fair point.

28 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

The whole Canas wandering off into the middle of a snowstorm and dying thing always bothered me. Hate that ending. 

He didn't wander off, he returned to his home and he and his wife sacrificed themselves trying to stop a blizzard that would've buried his home alive.

12 hours ago, Skylorella Con said:

Radiant dawn's ending was decently satisfying disregarding how they treated my poor Micaiah.

I'm don't ship Elincia and Geoffrey either.

Yeah, Micaiah wasn't done as well as she could've been imo. Because Ike got too much attention compared to her and this is coming from a big Ike fangirl. I love and adore him to bits, but Micaiah should've gotten as much spotlight as he did. Maybe even more. Yune was the one that hijacked Micaiah in the first place though, so it isn't even really Ike's writing that's to blame. It's hers! :/

Nice. Though shame, I might've liked that pairing had they been done a bit better too... I like Elincia a lot, but still. Also, Ike existed. :P I'm a sucker for common guy x princess pairings.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

He didn't wander off, he returned to his home and he and his wife sacrificed themselves trying to stop a blizzard that would've buried his home alive.

That doesn't make it any better :(:

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

That doesn't make it any better :(:

That had to be his ending due to Hugh's character in FE6, though I see where your coming from with disliking it.

18 minutes ago, Tuvy2 said:

That had to be his ending due to Hugh's character in FE6, though I see where your coming from with disliking it.

you're

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Micaiah wasn't done as well as she could've been imo. Because Ike got too much attention compared to her and this is coming from a big Ike fangirl. I love and adore him to bits, but Micaiah should've gotten as much spotlight as he did. Maybe even more. Yune was the one that hijacked Micaiah in the first place though, so it isn't even really Ike's writing that's to blame. It's hers! :/

Agreed, Micaiah in part 1 and 3 was amazing. I absolutely loved her human side and her growth as a character, she's by far one of my favourite Lords but then part 4 completely shunned her out. I think its Radiant dawns writing to blame. I wouldn't want Yune or Ike's role to be cut off as Yune was the main source of Ashera's development and she made part 4 interesting. Ike had absolutely no development in part 3 aside from 'Kill that guy? Ok, you got it Ranulf' So I'm glad Ike had at least some development in part 4. I would've actually perfered if Yune manifested her own body, because she actually did that, and gave Micaiah a vital role in the plot of part 4 because she's a main Lord after all. Plus I would've loved to see Ike and Micaiah interact and argue.

images.jpeg.3fdc153298a3e0bd1c2a81479d7566a2.jpeg

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Ike existed

I ship Ike and Elincia as well. ^^ I played Rd before por. After finishing por, I was freaking pissed at how Rd expected us to forget/disregard this. *Sigh*  At least he still had Soren. My opt still lived.

5a99c0704bb4d_images(1).jpeg.6b716e4a33aba901daaba9b6a5f9d5e6.jpeg

I kinda like Geoffrey but I just can't see myself shipping him and Eli. I ship him with Calill , crack ship I know, but Calill's attempts at flirting with him were adorable.

Edited by Skylorella Con

31 minutes ago, Skylorella Con said:

Agreed, Micaiah in part 1 and 3 was amazing. I absolutely loved her human side and her growth as a character, she's by far one of my favourite Lords but then part 4 completely shunned her out. I think its Radiant dawns writing to blame. I wouldn't want Yune or Ike's role to be cut off as Yune was the main source of Ashera's development and she made part 4 interesting. Ike had absolutely no development in part 3 aside from 'Kill that guy? Ok, you got it Ranulf' So I'm glad Ike had at least some development in part 4. I would've actually perfered if Yune manifested her own body, because she actually did that, and gave Micaiah a vital role in the plot of part 4 because she's a main Lord after all. Plus I would've loved to see Ike and Micaiah interact and argue.

images.jpeg.3fdc153298a3e0bd1c2a81479d7566a2.jpeg

I ship Ike and Elincia as well. ^^ I played Rd before por. After finishing por, I was freaking pissed at how Rd expected us to forget/disregard this. *Sigh*  At least he still had Soren. My opt still lived.

5a99c0704bb4d_images(1).jpeg.6b716e4a33aba901daaba9b6a5f9d5e6.jpeg

I kinda like Geoffrey but I just can't see myself shipping him and Eli. I ship him with Calill , crack ship I know, but Calill's attempts at flirting with him were adorable.

I actually don't think Micaiah was written that well even then, but to each their own. She had potential though, for sure.

Yeah, I would've preferred that Yune did that too.

Well, the localization is to blame for some of the PoR Ike x Elincia shippyness. But not all. That scene you posted is one of the biggest Ike x Elincia moments imo, and you can't blame NoA for that one. And in her deathquote in part 4 endgame in RD, Elincia all but says Ike is her man. "My noble Ike...all your plans..." And she also asks Ike to look after Crimea if she falls in the chapter where she disarms herself, and Geoffrey is present. She all but names him the next king in that sense. I don't see her saying that to any man except the man she loves, if it she didn't want to say it to Geoffrey.

I'm going to agree that all the disappeared for good endings are pretty bad, but Ike takes the cake here due how ridiculously out of character it is for him and it's on a main character. Kellam's are probably least bad of these for me, simply because they're in character with his character quirk (even if that quirk is pretty bad).

But the worst for me is Mathilda's "goddess of war goes to the kitchen" because she was my favorite character in Echoes. I do agree with @RedRob that it's a construct of both conservative Japanese values (and Medival values), but that doesn't make it any less aggrevating. I would also add that FE as a whole tends to have the "wife belongs in the kitchen" mentality when it comes to paired endings.

15 hours ago, Anacybele said:

"My noble Ike...all your plans..."

Not that I disagree with you on your stance about Elincia's ending (I mostly agree, in fact), but this doesn't strike you as just as formal as her interactions with Geoffrey? Aside from being a death quote, of course.

On the topic of Corrin being able to marry his/her Nohrian/Hoshidan siblings, one thing that I didn't see mentioned but bothers me is that Corrin grew up thinking Xander & co are his blood siblings, yet he/she can have children within days (probably? I don't remember too well how much time passes in Fates) of learning otherwise. That just... Doesn't sit very well with me, and makes me question Corrin's character. In fact, I personally find this more questionable than Corrin marrying Hoshidan royalty.

26 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

Not that I disagree with you on your stance about Elincia's ending (I mostly agree, in fact), but this doesn't strike you as just as formal as her interactions with Geoffrey? Aside from being a death quote, of course.

Yeah, but it's not simply the wording that gives me that vibe. It's the tone of voice I imagine it in, and the situation as well. Elincia's near death, possibly thinking she's about to die. Then she says Ike is "hers"? Not to mention, that if I were close to dying, I'd mention the person/a person I love/care for most with my potential last words to them. Elincia could very well be doing that with Ike. So you kind of answered your own question there by mentioning that it's a death quote.

Geoffrey does say "I am yours" as well to Elincia in part 2, but that's not a near death situation or anything. It's a normal one. It's entirely different circumstances, so it's a little more vague. And Elincia's "you are surely my finest and most faithful knight" and all are the same situation. Different from the death quote scenario.

I look at three things when interpreting a character's dialogue for some implications and such:

1. The wording, of course. We all see this first, right? This includes punctuation too, as exclamation points mean different things than a period or question mark.

2. The situation the dialogue is spoken in. This can be a big one, as different circumstances make people want to convey different things.

3. The tone of voice, or the tone of voice that comes to mind first if there's no voice acting. Tone can change a lot too. Though when the line is not voiced, tone becomes harder to get since what I imagine may not be what someone else does. For example, when I first saw female Robin say "Hey there, Freddy Bear!" in her support with Frederick, what came to mind first was her saying it in a cutesy flirtsy way. And I wasn't yet a big shipper of the pairing at the time, so there's not much bias to cloud my judgement (in fact, that line is what made me ship them in the first place lol). But someone else could've just as easily pictured it as more casual sounding.

Edited by Anacybele