Need Some Advice While Writing Fanfiction

Dismissed

So, I'm working on a flagship fanfic of mine, running since November 2017. I decided it would be nice to add quotes relating to the chapter titles in some chapters, but I want to use an excerpt from "Lost In Thoughts All Alone" for Chapter IV. (Well, it's technically the 6th chapter, but I number the chapters as if it was an FE game. There was a Prologue and something before the prologue.) I wrote it sandwiched between two line-things and it looked like this, complete with italics:

"...within my ancient heart dwells madness and pride. Can no one hear my cry?" -Azura, Lost In Thoughts All Alone, Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation

Now, I really like how the story is turning out, and I really want to quote another excerpt of the song in the penultimate chapter of the second story arc (While the second story arc is still just beginning, I plan to have the penultimate chapter be titled "Night Breaks Through") due to the thematic significance of certain termss in the context of the fic. So, is it okay to do this sort of thing, despite FF.net's rules of "NO LYRICS"?

(Also, to any fanfiction.net users on this site, please don't report the story if I violated the rules by doing so. I will take down the segment if it does.)

Edited by Purple Mage

I'm not familiar with FF.net's rules, but I think using lyrics sparingly would be okay. If you have to try finding a mod or admin there and asking them.

I used song lyrics from a real song in one of my fics, and that fic even shares its title with that song, Happy Together. I used it because I thought it was a good fit for the Frederick x female Robin pairing and this story was their honeymoon. I had previously noted that the song did not belong to me and was originally by an old group called the Turtles, but I noticed after awhile that for some reason, the disclaimer disappeared. I haven't put it back since, but I probably should. Even so, no one's reported this, so you should be fine. I would still add a disclaimer though, to be safe.

And I can't help rereading this fic once in awhile anyway. lol I made it so cute. XD And Ralph is one of my best original characters, for sure.

Yeah I've done it before. They jut don't want you writing entire chunks of story in lyrical form copying-and-pasting large bodies of someone else's work.

Sparingly incorporating a verse or two hear-and-there in your own original writing is fine. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

''The black tower cracks beneath its weight'' could be useful in certain situations like the fall of an evil kingdom or ruler or infighting between villains. 

''Gaze upon an empty white throne'' Could work when a king dies. 

It's "the black pillar", but I was going to use that anyway for the chapter before Night Breaks Through. (It's not an FE fanfic by the way, although there was a sidequest in the first story arc involving Eliwood and Canas also was in the story and had an important role.)

I like naming each chapter based on the contents. For example, Chapter 9 is named "Endgame: Cheese For Everyone!" and starts off with this little gem:

"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!" –Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Shivering Isles

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I used song lyrics from a real song in one of my fics, and that fic even shares its title with that song, Happy Together. I used it because I thought it was a good fit for the Frederick x female Robin pairing and this story was their honeymoon. I had previously noted that the song did not belong to me and was originally by an old group called the Turtles, but I noticed after awhile that for some reason, the disclaimer disappeared. I haven't put it back since, but I probably should. Even so, no one's reported this, so you should be fine. I would still add a disclaimer though, to be safe.

And I can't help rereading this fic once in awhile anyway. lol I made it so cute. XD And Ralph is one of my best original characters, for sure.

I do add disclaimers to every chapter, amd I try to be creative when writing them.

Another story of mine shares its title with the credits song of a fangame known as Mother: Cognitive Dissonance. I realized there was nothing against song titles being used.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Yeah I've done it before. They jut don't want you writing entire chunks of story in lyrical form copying-and-pasting large bodies of someone else's work.

Sparingly incorporating a verse or two hear-and-there in your own original writing is fine. 

Oh, that's good to hear. Thank you all for your help. At least I'll have more freedom while writing.

5 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

I do add disclaimers to every chapter, amd I try to be creative when writing them.

Another story of mine shares its title with the credits song of a fangame known as Mother: Cognitive Dissonance. I realized there was nothing against song titles being used.

That sounds fine then. :) I also try to make creative chapter titles.

Edited by Anacybele