Fire emblem ships you don't understand?

Ottservia

Title says it all what fire emblem fan pairings have you seen that make absolutely no sense to you.  Like for me I have no clue why xander and laslow are shipped together so much. I mean from what I gather from their supports their relationship is purely platonic and more like liege and servant than potential lovers. I don't know am I missing something or what? I mean I get inigo x gerome but I dunno.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some gay ships are a little out there, imo.  Stuff like Severa x Noire or Ike x Soren are sensible enough (though in both cases I see the pairs more as friends than anything), but then I see stuff proposed like Lucina x Tharja.  I get that those two are popular and all, but so are Camilla and Hector, yet I don't think very many ship those two together.  I think I've also seen Ephraim x Celica, which I think exists because she and Eirika have some similarities and there's of course the incest rumors/jokes, but I just don't really see it.

I've never really thought about it too much... I guess I don't get Anna X Robin/Corrin since there are like an uncountable amount of Annas and Jakes, and Shadow Dragon established the two as a couple. But I could still I guess see it because not all Annas in that game are with Jake but still...

Ike X Elincia is one I don't get, I know people that ship it go on about the US ending of PoR but I never understood why people thought it was romantic, I always saw it as Ike motivating Elincia to be a good ruler.  Plus Ike hates dealing with nobles and renounced his title in RD, so I can't see him marrying Elincia and having to deal with nobles everyday for the rest of his life.                                                                                                                                                                                                    

I have seen Sothe/Volke and Pelleas/Naesala not often but often enough to question where it spawns from.

I think Pelleas and Naesala are in the same army in P4 of RD, but I could be wrong. Still not sure about Sothe/Volke.

EDIT: Nope, Pelleas is in Elincia and Tibarn's army in RD. Now I still don't know where either pairing comes from.

Edited by saisymbolic

I seriously don't understand Pent X Louise. It's not like having kids will play into the plot of a sequel.

OK, but in all seriousness, Saber X Genny is an interesting one. I understand where people are coming from, though. Genny likes older men, and Saber is more her type. On Saber's wiki page, in the Trivia section, there's a little bit about this. It's not that I don't like it, I can agree with it, but it's pretty out there.

Another ship that I don't quite get is Abel X Est. It seems a bit... off, I guess. I expected Abel and Palla when I first saw their characters, but nope. What really gets to me about this ship is that Palla does actually have feelings toward Abel, but they go unrequited due to Est marrying Abel.

I know I've been posting here a bit, but I also don't understand Navarre X anybody really. I personally believe he's asexualm, or at the very least not wanting to be with anyone out of not wanting to hurt anyone or smth...

Echoing EricaofRenais, I don't get Ike/Elincia. I feel like the majority of people who ship them do it cause they are the main protags PoR and that's just not a good reason IMO. They don't really have much chemistry either and both would be bad for each other. Either Ike would be forced to become a noble which he would hate or Elincia would be forced to abdicate the throne, which she would never do and would ruin her amazing transformation from meek damsel to bad ass queen, willing to let her best friend die to save her country. They just wouldn't work well. I also feel like their more 'canon' (Using that term loosely), such as Soren Even though I ship Ike/Ranulf and Geoffrey make more sense for them.

An other one I don't get is Faye/Silque. I've seen a bit (Mainly on Tumblr but I shouldn't be surprised) and I just don't like it. While I do like Faye and how she is a twist on the 'obsessed lover' role from Tharja and Camilla in that she doesn't have the chance to have her love reciprocated and is downright rejected by Alm, I feel her supports with Silque are just bad. She is a bit of a bitch to Silque and never really apologises to her and even in their A support is still a bit passive-aggressive. Though I do have an idea that it mainly comes from people just trying to force same-sex relationships where they don't work, like Python/Forsyth or Python/Lukas etc and as someone who wants more same-sex relationships in FE that are natural, not forced and make sense, it frustrates me, though that is a rant for a different time.

I personally never really understood most of the gay ships because most of them just feel like people are shipping them for the sake of having gay ships.

And of course, there's the incest ones like Ephraim x Eirika. 

For the most part, gay ships since there often seems to not be so much as a modicum of thought being applied to them, and it seems they're just shipping for the sake of having gay ships.

Aside from those, there's Chrom/Olivia. Gameplay wise, it's a massive pain in the ass to set up, and the results are far from worth it. As for the supports themselves, I feel both Chrom and Olivia have better supports with others.

Not much of a shipper myself (even though I always play the shipping lord in Awakening and Fates, but hey...), so I don't know what the most popular fandom ships are, but there are some of the more 'canon' ships that I don't really get one way or another. Mostly because they either come right the hell out of nowhere, have no build up whatsoever and / or don't really make sense for the characters involved.
These include:

• Most, if not all ships from FE11 and 12, with the exception of Astram / Midia and Marth / Shiida. Special shout-outs to Draug / Norne (like, wha???), Merric / Elice or Merric / Linde and Est / Abel for ships that come out of nowhere with no previous build-up. And of course the sunken ship that is Kris / Katarina, in the sense that it should have happened, but didn't. Come on, devs! You had one "good" romance in your game and you had to ruin it!
  • Ephraim / Eirika. They're twins, for Hilda's sake!
  • SethSeth / Eirika. Tired 'Lady and Knight'-ship is tired. Also morally questionable as protectors shouldn't get romantically involved with their protegés (is that the right word?). There's some legal definition for this that I'm too tired to look up at the moment.
  • In the same vein as above: Frederick / Lissa.
  • Corrin / Azura. If you have seen any of my posts on this forum, you should know what I think of this pairing by now... In case you haven't: F*** Azura.
  • Corrin / any Royal. Blood doth not family make... or something to that effect, at least.
  • Boyd / Mist. Nothing, NOTHING pointed to them getting romantically involved with each other. Freaking Ike / Sanaki had more material and that is a crack ship par excellence! And before anyone points out the 'age difference' in that crack ship: Boyd / Mist also have one. And you only need to look two bullet points below this one. It's not like that stuff has stopped them before.
  • Geoffrey / Elincia. They think of each other as siblings in PoR and nothing points to their relationship having evolved beyond that in RD. So what gives?
  • Sothe / Micaiah. She's his foster mother, for crying out loud!
  • Jaffar / Nino. Uuuh, you DO realize she's only 13, right...?
  • On that note: Any ship involving Elise. Or Hayato. Or Percy, Midori, both genders of Kana and Kiragi (if they aren't shipped with each other).
  • Hector / Lyn. These two fit each other like hot lava and tin foil paper. Which is to say not at all. Constantly bickering does not constitute a good romance, writers.
    *someone points at Mae / Boey*
    Obvious joke pairings that (somehow) became canon don't count!
  • Gray / Claire. She rejected him in their A-support. Then they end up married. What? I know this is a vanilla Gaiden pairing, but that doesn't mean it makes sense. Because it doesn't.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Geoffrey / Elincia. They think of each other as siblings in PoR and nothing points to their relationship having evolved beyond that in RD. So what gives?

This. At the very least, Ike/Elincia should've been an option alongside them. Even if it had to be platonic.

And I also echo the people who mentioned Ephraim/Eirika as well as any other literal sibling pairs.

In the same sense, I don't understand why Corrin can romance Azura or any of the Fates siblings. They all call each other family, Corrin included, and Azura is literal incest for him.

But on your comment on Hector/Lyn, DragonFlames, ever heard of bickering like an old married couple? That's how I saw them. :P

Another one I don't get is Frederick/Lissa or Maribelle or anyone under 18. He has to be at least 24-25. Making him have ten years on them. That's gross and Frederick is too proper and stuff to really approve of doing that. I don't think it's in his character. I also don't think it'd be in his character to get with someone like Tharja and maybe Sully.

Edited by Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This. At the very least, Ike/Elincia should've been an option alongside them. Even if it had to be platonic.

And I also echo the people who mentioned Ephraim/Eirika as well as any other literal sibling pairs.

In the same sense, I don't understand why Corrin can romance Azura or any of the Fates siblings. They all call each other family, Corrin included, and Azura is literal incest for him.

But on your comment on Hector/Lyn, DragonFlames, ever heard of bickering like an old married couple? That's how I saw them. :P

Another one I don't get is Frederick/Lissa or Maribelle or anyone under 18. He has to be at least 24-25. Making him have ten years on them. That's gross and Frederick is too proper and stuff to really approve of doing that. I don't think it's in his character. I also don't think it'd be in his character to get with someone like Tharja and maybe Sully.

Okay, point taken. But I think they went a bit too far in the bickering department on Hector / Lyn for my tastes.

Also fully agreed on your statement on Frederick. He really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would do that.
And I agree with the rest of your post, too.

---

As I promised above, I will now share with you why the whole protector / protegé or master / student pairing doesn't sit right with me:
There is a law that reads as follows:

If a person commits sexual acts with
1. another Person under 16, who is entrusted to them in terms of protection or education
2. another Person under 18 who is entrusted to them in terms of protection or education or below them in work hierarchy
3. another person under 18 who is their or their husband's / wife's / life partner's / relative's heir in either blood or law
regardless of who the first to act is, will be charged with 3 months to 5 years in prison.
If you know German, you can check out the paragraph for yourselves, if you're interested.
https://dejure.org/gesetze/StGB/174.html

Now, I am not quite sure how other countries do it, but at least here, that crap doesn't fly very well as you can see (even though the sentence might seem light), which leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth when it comes to pairings like these. I am well aware that Fire Emblem is a fictional universe, but... we all like to impose our own world's ideas and logic onto it (hence all the lolicon memes), so yeah. There you go. This is why I dislike pairings such as SethSeth / Eirika and Frederick / Lissa.  

Edited by DragonFlames

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Okay, point taken. But I think they went a bit too far in the bickering department on Hector / Lyn for my tastes.

Alright, fair enough.

Also fully agreed on your statement on Frederick. He really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would do that.

---

As I promised above, I will now share with you why the whole protector / protegé or master / student pairing doesn't sit right with me:
In German law there is a paragraph that reads as follows (it's a rough translation as German law reads like confusing crap, so bear with me on this one):

If a person commits sexual acts with
1. another Person under 16, who is entrusted to them in terms of protection or education
2. another Person under 18 who is entrusted to them in terms of protection or education or below them in work hierarchy
3. another person under 18 who is their or their husband's / wife's / life partner's / relative's heir in either blood or law
regardless of who the first to act is, will be charged with 3 months to 5 years in prison.
If you know German, you can check out the paragraph for yourselves, if you're interested.
https://dejure.org/gesetze/StGB/174.html

Now, I am not quite sure how other countries do it, but at least here, that crap doesn't fly very well as you can see (even though the sentence might seem light), which leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth when it comes to pairings like these. I am well aware that Fire Emblem is a fictional universe, but... we all like to impose our own world's ideas and logic onto it (hence all the lolicon memes), so yeah. There you go. This is why I dislike pairings such as SethSeth / Eirika and Frederick / Lissa.  

That all makes sense, yeah. We're similar here in the US except we generalize it more and just heavily look down upon adults dating teenagers/children period. We're not bothered so much if it's like...a 20 year old with a 17 year old, because that's just a three year difference, and soon enough, those three years don't matter at all anyway. But a 25 year old with a 14 year old? Just NO.

It doesn't matter if marriages like that were done in real medieval times, we still don't like it and there's a reason it's not done anymore. Not to mention that FE is more or less medieval based with some modern values/morals/other stuff mixed in anyway. Awakening has candy and inner tubes for crying out loud. xP

Edited by Anacybele

• Geoffrey / Elincia. They think of each other as siblings in PoR and nothing points to their relationship having evolved beyond that in RD. So what gives?

I agree. Plus, with Geoffrey being a rather flat character in my opinion (Name one thing that exists about his character other than Crimean Knight, brother of Lucia, and foster-brother/weird love-interest of Elincia), it really seemed forced in my opinion.

As for fan ships, I really don't understand Ike x Soren. Aside from the fact that they are never shown to be anything other than good friends, there are several other problems with it as well; one that I can think of off the top of my head being age difference combined with Branded longevity:
I've seen people argue that the age difference between Sothe and Micaiah, combined with Micaiah's longevity from being branded, means that canon ship makes no sense. Soren and Ike's issues in this regard would be even worse. Soren still looks to be in his early teens at the end of Radiant Dawn, while Ike is already physically and chronologically 20, and, while Micaiah has distant heron blood, Soren is the son of a Black Dragon laguz. For all we know, he could remain physically 15 for decades, if not more than a century.

3 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Ike X Elincia is one I don't get, I know people that ship it go on about the US ending of PoR but I never understood why people thought it was romantic, I always saw it as Ike motivating Elincia to be a good ruler.  Plus Ike hates dealing with nobles and renounced his title in RD, so I can't see him marrying Elincia and having to deal with nobles everyday for the rest of his life.                                                                                                                                                                                                    

I'm not going to try to argue that it makes sense; I'm just quickly going to point out one or two things in the game itself:

1. Yes; Ike is definitely not a fan of nobles. However, there are a few exceptions; Caineghis and Reyson are two such examples (they're Laguz, but they're still a king and a prince). But, in this regard, Elincia is the earliest and biggest exception to Ike in regards to his views of nobility. 
  2. I wouldn't go so far as to say there's anything romantic, but, in the North American localization of it, there is definitely some ship tease happening, to the point where characters in Path of Radiance are arguing that there's romance going on. For just one example, in chapter 23, when Ike and Elincia are talking in private about how soon they'll be back in Crimea, Ranulf interrupts them by saying to himself, "Oooh, what a romantic setting. Makes it hard to make an appearance! I guess I could just leave you two..."

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Alright, fair enough.

That all makes sense, yeah. We're similar here in the US except we generalize it more and just heavily look down upon adults dating teenagers/children period. We're not bothered so much if it's like...a 20 year old with a 17 year old, because that's just three years, and soon enough, those three years don't matter at all anyway. But a 25 year old with a 14 year old? Just NO.

It doesn't matter if marriages like that were done in real medieval times, we still don't like it and there's a reason it's not done anymore. Not to mention that FE is more or less medieval based with some modern values/morals/other stuff mixed in anyway. Awakening has candy and inner tubes for crying out loud. xP

Yup, took the words right out of my mouth.
Also megaphone conch shells, telephone stones, camera tomes and internet post offices. Inter-dimensional ones, even. Awakening was weird, now that I think about it.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Yup, took the words right out of my mouth.
Also megaphone conch shells, telephone stones, camera tomes and internet post offices. Inter-dimensional ones, even. Awakening was weird, now that I think about it.

Wait, "internet post offices" what? Where'd that one come from? lol But yeah.

Well, as someone who really likes pairing people up, I might as well put in my two cents. 

AbelxEst - I’m not really into relationships where the girls is significantly younger than the guy with a couple of exceptions. Plus Est is a pretty awful partner for Abel and I really hate it when there’s unrequited love involved (in this case Palla) as it’s more than likely they’d be the better match to begin with.

JaffarxNino - Again, as sweet and heartfelt as their interactions are, I can’t help but feel a little squicky concerning a romance. The girl is just 14 years old, and Jaffar is in his late teens or even early 20s. 

SethxEirika - BOOOOOOOOOORING.

IkexSoren - The idea of them actually being lovers is null. Ike has a descendant, not a distant relative or some baloney, an true descendant. Soren doesn’t seem to be the romantic type either.

BoydxMist - So not only do they ignore the idea of Rolf and Mist being a potential couple that actually makes sense, they instead pair her with his older brother who go together as well as a spoon in a microwave. *claps*

SaizoxSakura - Another case of the “younger girl with significantly older partner” which I don’t like. Plus they don’t mesh well at all. I much prefer them with Mozu and Hayato respectively.

40 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wait, "internet post offices" what? Where'd that one come from? lol But yeah.

Well, it's not EXACTLY that, I admit, but Anna says in the Scramble DLC that the inter-dimensional post office is slow / lost the invitations to Chrom and gang and I compared it to some kind of e-mail provider in my head and out came that phrase.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Well, it's not EXACTLY that, I admit, but Anna says in the Scramble DLC that the inter-dimensional post office is slow / lost the invitations to Chrom and gang and I compared it to some kind of e-mail provider in my head and out came that phrase.

Ah, I see. lol