Fire emblem ships you don't understand?

Ottservia

Robin and Corrin x any second gen character. Just...why?

Corrin x Gunter. He's like a...father figure to her.

Robin x anyone else but Chrom. They're two halves of the same whole, people!

...I'm just kidding, Robin x Olivia is cute af.

Just remembered...Marth x Tiki. Just, please. Don't talk to me. I've always seen it as a sibling relationship, or even as a father-daughter relationship. Never romantic. Just...no.

Edited by Lau

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

"Never leave my side" is such a throwaway line these days that it can be interpreted in any way. Mist asks this of Ike, too, and last I checked, they're siblings, so I don't see how such a line points to any romantic direction on its own.
Especially since Geoffrey is basically what Frederick is to Chrom or Jagen is to Marth in terms of position, only with the "added" benefit of them being childhood friends and foster family, in which case there's also Finn / Leif, Titania / Ike and Gunter / Corrin and neither of those are romantic in any way (unless you decide to marry Gunter on Conquest, that is).

And this is very true, as well.

And this is what I meant when I said the pairing has had little to no build up.
Maybe it's just me, but being childhood friends and / or nursing someone back to health doesn't automatically imply romance. It's a good way to justify romance, yes, but you still need some kind of build up or reference to it, else you'll just confuse people.

Definitely agree on this one. Soleil is one of two characters I like even less than Azura and her treatment of Ophelia is a big reason why.
It doesn't really help that Ophelia is one of my favourite characters in Fates.

Is the other one Peri by any chance?
Which reminds me Peri x Anyone
Because the only embrace that lunatic deserves is that of the grim reaper.

On 4.3.2018 at 4:05 AM, Armagon said:

I personally never really understood most of the gay ships because most of them just feel like people are shipping them for the sake of having gay ships.

I'm fairly sure this applies to most non-gay fan ships as well...

On that note, any ship ever where the two have no interaction whatsoever or only few lines of extremely unromantic dialogue (IkexShinon or OpheliaxSoleil for example) are probably the hardest ones for me to get.

Other ships I just can't see would be Corrin x any child character, sibling ships like EirikaxEphraim and ones involving a mother/father/brother/sister figure, like CorrinxGunter, EphraimxMyrrh, Titania/Ike and so on.

I'm going to give a honorable (dishonorable?) mention to ships such as AlmxFaye, ChromxCordelia and MarthxCatria because I can absolutely see the "he/she deserves the partner of her dreams" thought, but at the same time I feel such ships go against the particular character's arc.

5 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

Is the other one Peri by any chance?
Which reminds me Peri x Anyone
Because the only embrace that lunatic deserves is that of the grim reaper.

Eh, Peri is definitely down there, but I was talking about Forrest due to his arrogance, him being a "Trap", which is an overdone trope I find incredibly annoying, him being ANOTHER fashionista character in a game where there already is one who is much better written than him, and especially his treatment of Male Kana in Heirs of Fate. Not to mention that his Paralogue is a royal pain in the butt to complete. 
But yeah, I dislike Peri, as well.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Eh, Peri is definitely down there, but I was talking about Forrest due to his arrogance, him being a "Trap", which is an overdone trope I find incredibly annoying, him being ANOTHER fashionista character in a game where there already is one who is much better written than him, and especially his treatment of Male Kana in Heirs of Fate. Not to mention that his Paralogue is a royal pain in the butt to complete. 
But yeah, I dislike Peri, as well.

Ah. I haven't actually got the Heirs of Fate DLC, so I'm unfamiliar with said mistreatment. Actually I did think about the irony that Oboro already existed and Forrest kind of felt redundant by that myself.

Just now, Mad-manakete said:

Ah. I haven't actually got the Heirs of Fate DLC, so I'm unfamiliar with said mistreatment. Actually I did think about the irony that Oboro already existed and Forrest kind of felt redundant by that myself.

Unless you want the Point Blank skill for your Bow users, don't bother. The maps are kind of fun, but the story isn't anything to write home about, to be honest. It basically boils down to another "look how great the Royals (minus Kana) are" festival. And you can't even use your own units.

The best part is that you get not one, but two Omega Yatos for the final map. Sadly, you don't get to keep them.

Not sure why everyone's complaining about Jaffar/Nino and anyone/Lissa, really. There's no requirement for them to immediately start sleeping with  each other. If it offends you, you can just assume they wait until [insert the age you believe it's acceptable] before starting any of that. (Admittedly, there are other possible objections to the mentioned Frederick/Lissa...) The only game where this doesn't work out is Fates, so feel free to rag on that as much as you like.

For me, I simply don't understand anything that contradicts the canon relationships (which for me includes heavily-implied things like Hector/Lyn, Eliwood/Ninian, and Chrom/Sumia). I didn't know that Nino/Jaffar wasn't practically canon, though.

Corrin x any royal besides Takumi or Sakura (they never established an early relationship as family). Judging by fanart, Corrin x Xander seems very popular which has some really disturbing implications. I don't blame people for choosing their preferred lust object in game, but is it not distracting to have your waifu/husbando refer to you as 'brother/sister'?

Corrin x any second gen children. It gets worse the more you think about how deeprealms work.

Kana x anyone. M!Kana getting rejected in the localization was a good thing and I don't know why you'd want this 10 year old getting involved with anyone.

---

In defense of Nino/Jaffar, their age gap looks like the difference of a few years at most, and if you look at Nino's children, who are young teenagers 20 years later, Nino would be at least 18 by the time her relationship became sexual. It's really not that weird.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, Thane said:

I keep seeing Ophelia/Soleil. The latter sexually harasses the former to the point of tears, and I don't think an apology convinces Ophelia to start any kind of relationship, especially not a happy one. 

It's better than Soleil x Forrest at least, as far as their Japanese support goes. (Shiver)

11 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Corrin x any royal besides Takumi or Sakura (they never established an early relationship as family). Judging by fanart, Corrin x Xander seems very popular which has some really disturbing implications. I don't blame people for choosing their preferred lust object in game, but is it not distracting to have your waifu/husbando refer to you as 'brother/sister'?

It is, which is why I never once married Corrin to Elise or Sakura and kept that marriage before. I just unlocked their S-supports for the support log and immediately reset the game to choose someone else.

The Corrin x Xander thing gets even weirder if you pick the small build for female Corrin, even more so if you pick the voice that makes her sound like F!Kana.

Kana x anyone. M!Kana getting rejected in the localization was a good thing and I don't know why you'd want this 10 year old getting involved with anyone.

I don't know, they could have kept his romantic support with Midori. She doesn't look like she's much older than he is. Then again, that would have caused some weirdness as to why M!Corrin can marry her, too, so... Uh, let's not go down that rabbit hole, shall we?
Also, he doesn't get rejected by Selkie, weirdly enough.
And I think pairing the female Kana up with Kiragi or Percy shouldn't exactly rise many eyebrows, either.

It's better than Soleil x Forrest at least, as far as their Japanese support goes. (Shiver)

I unironically pair these two because they are my least favourite among the kids. One shithead deserves another.

5 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Maybe not quite a ship, but WHY do people think Eirika and Ephiram are in an incestuous relationship? WHYYYY!!?

Well if their weapon names are anything to go by

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I don't know, they could have kept his romantic support with Midori. She doesn't look like she's much older than he is. Then again, that would have caused some weirdness as to why M!Corrin can marry her, too, so... Uh, let's not go down that rabbit hole, shall we?
Also, he doesn't get rejected by Selkie, weirdly enough.
And I think pairing the female Kana up with Kiragi or Percy shouldn't exactly rise many eyebrows, either.

But Midori is an adult, according to the localization.

I think even in the case where both people are children, romantic ships are a bit weird. Maybe just let them be kids for a while longer?

In general, I don’t like any ships that seem to be just based on “there’s two characters and they interact at least once so obviously they have to be a couple!”

Some of the canon ships (like Marth/Caeda) aren’t necessarily bad, but they just come out of nowhere and I wish there had been more build up to it in the game.

I also don’t like a lot of the gay ships, (except Ike/Soren and Leon/Kamui, they’re so cute ^^) not for being gay but because a lot of yaoi shippers are notorious for shipping characters who have no chemistry or are horribly dysfunctional together, and think the characters being gay justifies literally anything they do or how messed up their relationship dynamic is. I hate Niles/anyone, but that’s mostly because I just don’t like him at all. I also don’t get Raven/Lucius, despite as much as Lucius cares for Raven, he doesn’t seem to even think of Lucius as a friend, he just keeps trying to push him away. Their supports just left me feeling sorry for Lucius. Leon/Valbar isn’t the worst, but I don’t really care for the obsessed/unrequited love trope, and I don’t know what he sees in him, with there being many better looking guys in the game. Ophelia/Soleil is just wrong.

Robin/Lucina is pretty gross when you consider that he was already an adult when she was a baby, and because he’s such close friends with Chrom, he might have even helped raise her.

I hate all the incest ships, no exceptions.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:19 PM, DragonFlames said:

As I promised above, I will now share with you why the whole protector / protegé or master / student pairing doesn't sit right with me:
There is a law that reads as follows:

If a person commits sexual acts with
1. another Person under 16, who is entrusted to them in terms of protection or education
2. another Person under 18 who is entrusted to them in terms of protection or education or below them in work hierarchy
3. another person under 18 who is their or their husband's / wife's / life partner's / relative's heir in either blood or law
regardless of who the first to act is, will be charged with 3 months to 5 years in prison.
If you know German, you can check out the paragraph for yourselves, if you're interested.
https://dejure.org/gesetze/StGB/174.html

I am pretty sure that you misinterpreted this law, in reference to protection, it makes far more sense for it to be in reference to a parent child relationship, the use of the term protection is to act as a blanket term so that not having custody means that you can't legally do it with you niece or nephew, it's about dependency not social status, as for education it sounds like a leverage thing, the same can be said about dependants, where leveraging said dependency for sex would be very much illegal in most countries.

Put simply, if Fredrick and Lissa wanted to do it under these laws, it would be completely legal, Lissa is not a dependent and Fredrick is not Lissa's provider (Couldn't remember a more proper term). If you hire a bodyguard and you are both attracted to each other and are both consenting adults, it would be legal for you to commit any sexual acts with them. Same could be said for the mob boss who you are paying for, ahem, "protection".

On 3/3/2018 at 4:34 PM, BoiJones said:

I know I've been posting here a bit, but I also don't understand Navarre X anybody really. I personally believe he's asexualm, or at the very least not wanting to be with anyone out of not wanting to hurt anyone or smth...

It makes me feel so bad for Phina. It's hinted that she follows him in their ending, but he never reciprocated her feelings. The only person Navarre had shown interest in is Ogma, and not for romantic reasons. One of the only pairings I don't mind breaking in FE12 because Phina would probably be happier off with Kris than Navarre. Kris actually humors her behavior, meanwhile Navarre just tolerates it. Navarre is too dedicated to the sword. I don't think he's asexual per se, but definitely not interested in romance.

But I feel bad for Phina, she goes for the silent, stoic, and brooding type like Navarre, Kris (somewhat) and although she didn't fall for him, she has some sort of special association to Michalis. 

On 3/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, AlmondJuice said:

I seriously don't understand Pent X Louise. It's not like having kids will play into the plot of a sequel.

OK, but in all seriousness, Saber X Genny is an interesting one. I understand where people are coming from, though. Genny likes older men, and Saber is more her type. On Saber's wiki page, in the Trivia section, there's a little bit about this. It's not that I don't like it, I can agree with it, but it's pretty out there.

Another ship that I don't quite get is Abel X Est. It seems a bit... off, I guess. I expected Abel and Palla when I first saw their characters, but nope. What really gets to me about this ship is that Palla does actually have feelings toward Abel, but they go unrequited due to Est marrying Abel.

I remember this one post on reddit where the writer absolutely HATED Saber x Genny with a passion, mostly due to the age difference (understandable). So their alternative choice was Luthier of all people. Luthier is older than Genny (it's never clarified HOW much older her type is, just older), and she mentions wanting a man who's very caring. Luthier's supports with Delthea show that he is (oftentimes too much) caring when his family is concerned. He's traveled to Archanea, which would probably interest Genny, given her interest in writing. Her ending states that her spouse was someone from the army and was "a man no one would ever expect", and Luthier's introverted nature and lack of presence among his comrades would make him an "unexpected choice" for someone who settled down shortly after the war.

As for Luthier, he would probably like Genny. Unlike Delthea, she is soft-spoken and helpful. He would probably also like that she's a magic user, which helps carry down his family's tradition of being strong mages.

@Azz I originally quoted your comment but it got deleted somehow. I was so pissed. Anyways, I said I would feel scummy pairing Valbar with anyone. Dude just lost his wife and kids right before the story started. He hasn't really gotten much time to mourn properly, so him moving on to someone so quick seems so uncharacteristic for someone who's depicted as a family man.

As for Leon, I like to pair him up with Conrad. Conrad is stated to never marry, and I'm not sure what Valentia's views on gay marriage, but if wasn't allowed... Maybe he and Leon stayed in touch after the war... (Yes, my arm hurts from this reach)

10 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

But Midori is an adult, according to the localization.

I think even in the case where both people are children, romantic ships are a bit weird. Maybe just let them be kids for a while longer?

I do see your point and I somewhat agree with it, but there's two things:
1) They are apparently mature enough to hold their own on the battlefield.
2) Childhood Marriage Promises are very much a thing.

7 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I am pretty sure that you misinterpreted this law, in reference to protection, it makes far more sense for it to be in reference to a parent child relationship, the use of the term protection is to act as a blanket term so that not having custody means that you can't legally do it with you niece or nephew, it's about dependency not social status, as for education it sounds like a leverage thing, the same can be said about dependants, where leveraging said dependency for sex would be very much illegal in most countries.

Put simply, if Fredrick and Lissa wanted to do it under these laws, it would be completely legal, Lissa is not a dependent and Fredrick is not Lissa's provider (Couldn't remember a more proper term). If you hire a bodyguard and you are both attracted to each other and are both consenting adults, it would be legal for you to commit any sexual acts with them. Same could be said for the mob boss who you are paying for, ahem, "protection".

Eh, might be. I still think these kinds of pairings are weird, though.

I forgot it because they're not on the player's side, but Berkut x Rinea.

They're oil and water. Rinea doesn't interact once with any other character, and she's always unsure and submissive around Berkut, who yells at her when things go south. It's a pretty creepy relationship, but even if it had been a good one, the fact that Berkut not only kills her but also twists her into a burning undead spirit in order to get power is beyond creepy. Berkut didn't deserve to be forgiven, and now Rinea has to spend the rest of eternity with him.

How people think they are cute together is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I forgot it because they're not on the player's side, but Berkut x Rinea.

They're oil and water. Rinea doesn't interact once with any other character, and she's always unsure and submissive around Berkut, who yells at her when things go south. It's a pretty creepy relationship, but even if it had been a good one, the fact that Berkut not only kills her but also twists her into a burning undead spirit in order to get power is beyond creepy. Berkut didn't deserve to be forgiven, and now Rinea has to spend the rest of eternity with him.

How people think they are cute together is beyond me.

Well, most of the situations that we see them interact happens when he’s pissed of, so we don’t how they are like when he’s calm. The pairing needed to be explored more.

And about Berkut being forgiven to easily by Rinea may not seem right, to be fair they were both dead. Not much point in punishing him. Maybe Rinea didn’t want to spend eternity holding a grudge.

Edited by Water Mage

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Well, most of the situations that we see them interact happens when he’s pissed of, so we don’t how they are like when he’s calm. The pairing needed to explored more.

Then why is it being shipped when we know absolutely nothing about their relationship besides the good?

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

And about Berkut being forgiven to easily by Rinea may not seem right, to be fair they were both dead. Not much point in punishing him. Maybe Rinea didn’t want to spend eternity holding a grudge.

Do I need to reiterate the fact that she was literally murdered and twisted into a burning, undead abomination that served at his beck and call, solely for the purpose of granting him power?

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

Then why is it being shipped when we know absolutely nothing about their relationship besides the good?

Do I need to reiterate the fact that she was literally murdered and twisted into a burning, undead abomination that served at his beck and call, solely for the purpose of granting him power?

The first one, I agree. But on the second point, like I said before she’s dead and he’s dead. There’s not much she can do to him. Why spend eternity holding a grudge? Besides, Berkut seemed regret what he did to her and he seemed pretty miserable. Even if she blamed him, it wouldn’t make him feel more guilty. There’s not really much point in holding a grudge against someone who are at their lowest. It really wouldn’t make Rinea happier.

Edited by Water Mage

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

The first one, I agree. But on the second point, like I said before she’s dead and he’s dead. There’s not much she can do to him. Why spend eternity holding a grudge? Besides, Berkut seemed regret what he did to her and he seemed pretty miserable. Even if she blamed him, it wouldn’t make him feel more guilty. There’s not really much point in holding a grudge against someone who are at their lowest. It really wouldn’t make Rinea happier.

Dude.

He fucking murdered her for his own selfish needs and then defiled her body and spirit.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Dude.

He fucking murdered her for his own selfish needs and then defiled her body and spirit.

I know that, but what would she gain by holding a grudge against him? Her options were either spend eternity bitter at him or be with him who does seem to genuinely want to make her happy this time. She picked the option that would be easier on both of them. And again, they’re both dead, so no matter how horrible his actions were, and that it is his fault that they died, the only thing Rinea would gain by not forgiving is being bitter. So why would hold grudge? She’s not getting anything out it. There’s no point.

34 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I know that, but what would she gain by holding a grudge against him? Her options were either spend eternity bitter at him or be with him who does seem to genuinely want to make her happy this time. She picked the option that would be easier on both of them. And again, they’re both dead, so no matter how horrible his actions were, and that it is his fault that they died, the only thing Rinea would gain by not forgiving is being bitter. So why would hold grudge? She’s not getting anything out it. There’s no point.

There's such a thing as "forgive but not forget." She doesn't have to hold a grudge against him to stay apart in the afterlife.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Dude.

I legit think Berkut's hallucinating there. He's long since snapped, so I could see that happening.