Radiant Dawn Gameplay Changes?

Half the cast is just there for story, which is frustrating how they force them into combat. I made the mistake of investing in them on my first playthrough. One of the main fun aspects of FE is developing units, which can't be done when units are just taken from you. This is mostly true for someone playing the game for the first time. That being said, normal and easy are a joke, so maybe that was part of the thinking since hard mode has to be unlocked.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, Shimmerfang said:

Finally, give her celerity: if she's the fast knight, make her the quick knight too.

Celerity gives a unit two extra movement spaces, not increases their speed. :facepalm:

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, Dunal said:

Not quite as effective of a solution as giving them more availability; but it's actually pretty feasible to tune them for part 1 while either auto-levelling them for Part 4 or making them scale better with BEXP or promotion gains when they return.

I'd rather have more playtime with Vika, than have her be auto-levelled upon her return in 4-4.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, Dunal said:

Combined with strong EXP gains if they do get used in Part 1.

EXP gain is dependant on both the player unit's level and the enemy unit's level, so you can't just arbitrarily increase the rate at which a unit gets EXP.

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Celerity gives a unit two extra movement spaces, not increases their speed. :facepalm:

That's what I'm sure they were referring to though. Meg has good SPD (relatively speaking, hence "fast") but her movement is bad due to her class.

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

EXP gain is dependant on both the player unit's level and the enemy unit's level, so you can't just arbitrarily increase the rate at which a unit gets EXP.

Who says you can't? Nothing's a barrier in game design. :P:

I'm creating a hack that does exactly that; changing the EXP formula on individual units and how they interact with Paragon as well (including being a locked skill). Enemy EXP can be made higher on part 1 in general (to improve the EXP/level curve of the Dawn Brigade, while doing the opposite for the GMs in part 3). Tormod can actually become ~20/3 in part 1 if you mostly solo with him, with Vika/Muarim also gaining 30-50 EXP per kill (although Laguz EXP curve is reworked overall).

Here is someone's Tormod after 1-E (most enemies on this map are ~LV5 Tier 2):

Spoiler

TormodSoloB.thumb.jpg.45b5db1748d7e8bac0a8c4f6f0ec9d86.jpg

This is pretty overkill granted (and certainly not recommended for the DB's sake). But you can now get Tormod to ~LV15 in Part 1 to make him viable in Part 4 (ready to master crown immediately) while still levelling the Dawn Brigade appropriately.

Then you mess with the BEXP formula to multiply further on under-levelled units in Part 4, but harsher restrictions on over-levelled units.

In other words... yeah it's very possible. Making Tormod available in Part 3 is also an alternative, but this works too. He's not even that EXP reliant since his promo bonuses are insane. You can probably just promote him at LV10 and still make him useful in 4-4. This is of course, not making him break Part 1 at the same time. You pretty much have to feed him everything in 1-7 and 1-8 to make him solo-worthy in 1-E.

1 hour ago, Dunal said:

I'm creating a hack that does exactly that; changing the EXP formula on individual units and how they interact with Paragon as well (including being a locked skill). Enemy EXP can be made higher on part 1 in general (to improve the EXP/level curve of the Dawn Brigade, while doing the opposite for the GMs in part 3).

This is exactly why I don't care for hacks.

13 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

This is exactly why I don't care for hacks.

Uh... Fair enough? I mean my point is that anything is possible, whether it's fan-made or by IS. Either way, this topic is about gameplay changes and it's unlikely that IS will release a remake any-time soon, so I'm just mentioning possibilities that the current engine has.

There have certainly been some quirky mechanics in the series like critical coefficient. A coefficient that affects EXP isn't that absurd. Especially if viewable in-game as a statistic.

Of course, the better solution in the context of FE10 would be to probably make them playable earlier if you moderately change the story to accommodate it. At least you can use them for a longer stretch of the game. There's just alternate solutions that are proven to be possible.

Most other games in the series have a 'power' rating for each class in the game which also affects EXP. Soldiers and Thieves in GBA FE have a lower rating for this, so EXP for them is higher (but lower to units who kill them).

Edited by Dunal

19 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Of course, the better solution in the context of FE10 would be to probably make them playable earlier if you moderately change the story to accommodate it. At least you can use them for a longer stretch of the game.

A much better idea would be for them to join Ike and co. in Part Three. This even makes sense in the story, as Ike and co. have allied themselves with the Laguz Alliance. All you would need is Ike and co. to stumble across a Begnion installation which is secretly harbouring some Laguz slaves, and which Tormod and co. have taken it upon themselves to try and liberate (with little or no success until Ike and co. comes upon it).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

A much better idea would be for them to join Ike and co. in Part Three. This even makes sense in the story, as Ike and co. have allied themselves with the Laguz Alliance. All you would need is Ike and co. to stumble across a Begnion installation which is secretly harbouring some Laguz slaves, and which Tormod and co. have taken it upon themselves to try and liberate (with little or no success until Ike and co. comes upon it).

Wouldn't even need to go that far, you could just have him be there from the very start. He did assist in bringing Rafiel to Gallia which sparked off the whole conflict if I recall correctly.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Wouldn't even need to go that far, you could just have him be there from the very start.

That wouldn't be as fun though, and it would provide a legitimate reason as to why he joined with Ike, instead of just appearing out of nowhere (like Haar, Nephenee and Brom seemingly do in 3-2).

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That wouldn't be as fun though, and it would provide a legitimate reason as to why he joined with Ike, instead of just appearing out of nowhere (like Haar, Nephenee and Brom seemingly do in 3-2).

Honestly he could have been a leading character in the story with lines and screen time, no need to appear out of nowhere when logic and sense suggest he should be deeply involved with the conflict. An extra chapter featured for the purpose of reintroducing him sounds cool, but I don't think Radiant Dawn needs any more chapters, it already has a tonne, and especially not another one for the Griel Mercenaries to gain exp from and further widen the divide between them and the Dawn Brigade.

14 minutes ago, Jotari said:

An extra chapter featured for the purpose of reintroducing him sounds cool, but I don't think Radiant Dawn needs any more chapters, it already has a tonne, and especially not another one for the Griel Mercenaries to gain exp from and further widen the divide between them and the Dawn Brigade.

We could just change an existing chapter instead of giving Part Three a new chapter.

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

We could just change an existing chapter instead of giving Part Three a new chapter.

True, which chapter would you suggest? The earlier ones would seem most likely, but then it's be a bit weird for Begnion to have an installation like that so close to Gallia.

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

True, which chapter would you suggest? The earlier ones would seem most likely, but then it's be a bit weird for Begnion to have an installation like that so close to Gallia.

Chapter 3-5.