Do you ever want to be a hero?

Corrobin

I know I have sometimes.

I've always wished that magic was real. And that I could use it.

Or that I could be a superhero.

I am going to be honest and say no. At least not if i have to go out of my way to be a hero. 

If I had superpowers I'd abuse them for personal gain rather than using them for the common good.

There are a lot of things that make a hero. It could simply be doing a good deed for someone, or saving the world from space demons for all I know. Anyway, I would personally like to be a hero of some kind. I think it's really nice to be able to help people out.

And as for superpowers, I guess I'd like to basically be Roy Mustang.

If you want to be a hero, then go be a nurse or doctor. Or join UNICEF or Concern or something. Plenty of people in the world need help and simply being born in a developed country that provides education is more of a super power than basically anything comic book heroes can do.

Edited by Jotari

Superpowers? Yeah sure... but I don't think hero would fit the bill for me.

I'd fall either as an Anti-Hero or a full-blown Villain.

As a kid, yes, and I confess that even today I find the idea of embarking in a Final Fantasy-esque grand quest with close companions that can truly be called friends to accomplish something great, develop skills/abilities to their peak and find a purpose in life, alluring.

It is no wonder that Narnia is the first choice that comes to my mind when someone asks about fantasy worlds I'd like to go. I'd give Harry Potter a second place, though.

I often fantasize about being a supervillain in the classical comic book sense (super smart, an army of minions, infinite money, and a sweet secret base) so that I could actually make the world a better place. Trying to change big things will instantly earn you the label of villain from those in power because they like things the way they are, even if you are doing things like curing diseases and planting super crops in starving countries. They will use excuses like, "You didn't go through the correct diplomatic channels," or, "You violated a trade agreement," or, "You stole some corporation's patents to do this (my absolute favorite made-up excuse, because copyright law is so screwed up in favor of corporations that they don't even have to have a legit claim, they can just say they do and immediately ruin everything)." And if I had to genetically engineer an army of mutant super panthers to protect my hard work from the corrupt and the powerful, so be it. All I want to do is make a post-scarcity society, where people focus on self-improvement instead of accumulating wealth. History will remember Dr. Ultrapocalypse as a futurist and a humanitarian! *Shakes fist*

4 minutes ago, Omegaprism said:

I often fantasize about being a supervillain in the classical comic book sense (super smart, an army of minions, infinite money, and a sweet secret base) so that I could actually make the world a better place. Trying to change big things will instantly earn you the label of villain from those in power because they like things the way they are, even if you are doing things like curing diseases and planting super crops in starving countries. They will use excuses like, "You didn't go through the correct diplomatic channels," or, "You violated a trade agreement," or, "You stole some corporation's patents to do this (my absolute favorite made-up excuse, because copyright law is so screwed up in favor of corporations that they don't even have to have a legit claim, they can just say they do and immediately ruin everything)," or, "That's against the Geneva Convention," or,"You're violating our human rights,"  And if I had to genetically engineer an army of mutant super panthers to protect my hard work from the corrupt and the powerful, so be it. All I want to do is make a post-scarcity society, where people focus on self-improvement instead of accumulating wealth. History will remember Dr. Ultrapocalypse as a futurist and a humanitarian! *Shakes fist*

I know you went with a similar joke in the end, but I really wish you'd said this.

Sometimes.
You see, a lot of the heroes I look up to are like, Vash The Stampede, Roy, Spike Spiegel, Mario, etc. Pretty everymannish heroes for the most part, but I guess super powers would be cool! I'd dig super speed, or maybe heat vision, or super strength. Flight would be cool for thrills, but I'd be getting flashbacks to the red star in Mario Galaxy the whole time. 

I'd probably want to have abilities like teleporting, high end psychic stuff, or my own forcefield+flight powersets.

so I'd probably be incredibly irresponsible with every powerset I'd get. I'd save the day, but on the other hand the populace would probably still me as a menace to society.

If I had a ludicrous amount of money with no actual job, I can picture a Batman-scenario. I don't know what crime-rich, wealthy area I'd reside, so amount of crime to stop may vary.

Super-powers, ehhh, I'd still need money, but I'd probably do some heroic stuff if the opportunity was right in front of me. But I'd have a job, so I'd be less involved than I would in a Batman situation. If I had money, I'd already have all the benefits of my wealth. With super-powers, I feel I'd be just a little more selfish.

As bad as it sounds, If I had powers, I wouldn't go out of my way to help others. I'd get money any way I can and help my family out, then just live a comfortable life while dishing out money to orphanages and charities.

Of course, if there was some superhero who wanted to put me behind bars...could you imagine the adrenaline rush? The thrill of a chase? ...Oh, it was twelve year old me's secret fantasy.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to use my powers to save people, and get nothing from it at all, then definitly no. If it just means getting superpowers, hell yes. That'd solve all my life problems.

Hero? No. Villain? ABSOLUTELY.

Villains get the best music, the best outfits, and they have the best powers so the heroes look like underdogs AND they get to be megalomaniacs which is radical. Even when they finally lose, they get to die in noble combat with the only person who could ever match their strength.

That's what I want to be.

I work at this answering service. We mostly answer for doctors. It's just normal work, but I like to hope that I do more good than bad. I like to think that I'm a hero, even if that means that everyone else working alongside me is a hero too. At the same time I don't really think I am. I don't even believe in reality as it presents itself to me, nor do I believe I'll ever find out the true nature of reality and how I really can help others, if there even really are others out there. Also, I wonder if it's possible that our service does more good than bad somehow, though I don't think it really does. Also, if I had the chance I might move to something that pays more, and I do look for jobs. Even though I think I'll regret leaving my current job in the future.

I don't want working at my job meaning I'm a hero because I want to help others. It's more that believing that helps bring satisfaction during and after my day there. My desire to be a hero doesn't necessarily entail having a love interest or finding a unique path in the world and getting others to like me. It's more about believing that I can help others because I don't think I'm worth helping myself. I hope I don't cause damage being who I am. It might even be a purity thing, to avoid "sin" and maybe the idea of an afterlife of ease and comfort motivates my actions.

I don't really know who I am. I just know what I think I might be.

Sorry for all this BS. Sometimes all I want is to get is dinner with my family each night and go to sleep.

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become to villain.

Powers? Yes. Hero? Sure, why not, but if we look at greatest figures with the greatest power throughout history, most of them were not heroes because they had to do terrible things or make one side lose to accomplish great things for either them or their people. Hard not to abuse power when it's almost incomparable power.

Edited by Ae†her

Hmm, I suppose I have, even now I guess. I think it would be really nice to be some sort of hero, and I firmly believe that if I was given the option to help others, even for no personal gain, I would. I really do want people to be happy and to live good lives so seeing others smile would be enough of a reward for me. (Sorry if that sounds cheesy, but... eh)

• 3 weeks later...

Having such power would be quite the change but I'm confident that I would use it for good and nothing else. To oppose evil and protect good is my most precious desire, other than becoming a god and become the very epitome of good.