Rival Domains Discussion

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrgh, forgot destroying the fortress ends the map prematurely and because I didn't take the right fort, I ended up 10 points short of the reward, which I could have taken easily by taking my time. I took no armoured units whatsoever, so I needed to rank S on every other metric. Still, it feels sucky to lose by winning. Repeated with the same team and got it done okay, but I got the urge to punch something hard and repeatedly.

At the moment I find the mode about as fun as pulling teeth, but at least there's no retry penalty for failing (which is the thing I hate most about AA). I do appreciate they're trying something different, but it needs a lot of tinkering to become something remotely resembling fun, and throwing expendable units into a meatgrinder ain't it. You'll forgive me for being skeptical given the pace they've made adjustments to the equally unfun VGs.

Edited by Humanoid

I like the Rival Domains and think it's pretty fun to finally be able to use your friends' lead units. I've heard some people complaining about a lack of rewards and while I can kind of see their point, I don't think it's that big of a deal. We regularly get rewards from different quests that are put out and we do technically get some rewards from completing Rival Domains, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm just glad to have a change of pace on Heroes for once. It's made me need to look for new friends though because a lot of mine have bad lead units. 

Whew, I finally cleared Infernal last night. I must have tried it over a dozen times and I kept getting really close.

On my final attempt, I had most of my units clustered around the enemy fort and I literally had to get a pen and paper to plan all the moves exactly so I could clear out the enemies and break the fort. In the end, I had exactly enough units to do it.

4 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Whew, I finally cleared Infernal last night. I must have tried it over a dozen times and I kept getting really close.

On my final attempt, I had most of my units clustered around the enemy fort and I literally had to get a pen and paper to plan all the moves exactly so I could clear out the enemies and break the fort. In the end, I had exactly enough units to do it.

I'm having a tough time keeping a straight face imagining someone using actual pen and paper to strategise a Heroes map. That's downright hilarious.

Granted, I haven't attempted Infernal yet, so I may well be eating my words after my dozenth failed attempt.

22 minutes ago, Raven said:

I'm having a tough time keeping a straight face imagining someone using actual pen and paper to strategise a Heroes map. That's downright hilarious.

Granted, I haven't attempted Infernal yet, so I may well be eating my words after my dozenth failed attempt.

Haha, I was surprised as well. But after so many failed attempts and with a potential victory within my grasp, I was taking no risks!

I'm a bit embarrassed to upload the pen and paper version, but the layout looked like this:

wumJAU4.png

Unfortunately Shiro couldn't KO Selena and Myrrh couldn't KO Gunter.

What I did was KO Oboro with Eliwood, Gunter with Nowi. Then Adult Tiki KO'd Soren from the left side. Finally, Myrrh hit the fort once and Sakura hit the fort twice with Azura's help.

Edited by VincentASM

10 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Haha, I was surprised as well. But after so many failed attempts and with a potential victory within my grasp, I was taking no risks!

I'm a bit embarrassed to upload the pen and paper version, but the layout looked like this:

wumJAU4.png

Unfortunately Shiro couldn't KO Selena and Myrrh couldn't KO Gunter.

What I did was KO Oboro with Eliwood, Gunter with Nowi. Then Adult Tiki KO'd Soren from the left side. Finally, Myrrh hit the fort once and Sakura hit the fort twice with Azura's help.

You took both camps or just the left/right one? (and did my Grima help out?)

39 minutes ago, Raven said:

You took both camps or just the left/right one? (and did my Grima help out?)

I took both camps. I actually don't know if I could forego one of them. I only know taking two camps without attacking the fort wasn't enough.

My memory is hazy, but there may have been a Grima guarding one of my camps ^^

26 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I took both camps. I actually don't know if I could forego one of them. I only know taking two camps without attacking the fort wasn't enough.

That is useful info. Guess I'll just go straight for the fort after one camp, since it gives more points.

5 minutes ago, Johann said:

Does anyone else restart maps over and over until they get the song they want?

Wait, wait, wait. There are different songs!?

How have I not noticed? Probably because I'm zerg rushing an enemy-phase team at everything.

30 minutes ago, Johann said:

Does anyone else restart maps over and over until they get the song they want?

I DO! Never start Rival domains without the prefect music. I'm really glad they did this

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Wait, wait, wait. There are different songs!?

How have I not noticed? Probably because I'm zerg rushing an enemy-phase team at everything.

29 minutes ago, Raven said:

I didn't even notice. What music is available?

As far as I can tell, every map song is possible, even limited ones-- I have gotten the Celica Tempest final battle song before. I'm not certain if it's equally random though, cuz it feels like I mostly get the older story map songs.

Well I don't know what unit is best to have as my lead for this, but I think my Legendary Ephraim is probably my most impressive Cav. So if you want to play with a +1 +ATK/-SPD Galeforce/Deathblow/Dragback*/Hone Cav/Heavy Blade Seal Legendary Ephraim now is your chance.

*A bit odd I know, but it works for me. Should probably give him desperation as an option sooner or later though.

Yeah so if you want horses I've got.

• BH!Roy (+ATK/-RES) w/Darting Blow
  • Camus w/ Fury|Vantage set.
  • Xander w/ Fury|Vantage set.
  • Reinhardt (Neutral) Standard.
  • Cecillia (Neutral) w/ TA3/Bowbreaker
  • Frederick (+ATK/-HP) (+1) Brave Axe set w/Death Blow 2
  • Cain (+ATK/-DEF) (+1) Brave Sword set w/ Death Blow 2
  • Gunnthra (+HP/-ATK) Standard set w/ double RES/DEF ploy.
  • BH!Lyn (Neutral) Standard.
  • LA!Roy (+RES/-DEF) w/Brave bow set.

Course Matthew (now +7) will continue to wreck things unless someone personally requests a horse.

Edited by Zeo

I got cancer incarnate Firesweep BH!Lyn (+Atk/-Res) as my lead now, though I can also loan my legendary Ephraim so those who don’t have him can try him out. If not him, I got plenty of other good horses if BH!Lyn gets stale.

Oddly enough, this was the first week I actually ENJOYED this mode. XD I love getting to use my friend's characters, but getting enough points, especially on infernal can be...infuriating. I swear I struggled like no other the first few weeks. And last week I managed to beat the mode without any armors because they were such a pain to use. Using all horses this week wasn't quite as painful at least.

Despite my desire to complete everything, I completely dropped the ball on this mode and only tried Infernal once, got fairly close but failed and didn't try again.

I just very much hate the whole thing. It isn't fun at all to me. 

Edited by Vince777