Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

A very specific version of Ganon is in the game as Ganondorf's final smash, that is to say the quadrapedal Twilight Princess incarnation. I mean more of the old school trident wielding pig Ganon.

Regarding other potential Zelda reps, I could see them taking something from Hyrule Warriors. Like Lana, Cia or Linkle. Breath of the Wild was also super popular so I could see them bringing in one of the Champions from that, Revali would be the most likely for moveset reasons.

Oh, I see.

While Revali happens to be my favorite of the four, I think it'd be odd to include any of them without adding all four and that's a bit much.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I see.

While Revali happens to be my favorite of the four, I think it'd be odd to include any of them without adding all four and that's a bit much.

I'd find it odd to pick one over the others, but they've done stuff like that before, so I don't find it impossible. Fox and Falco are the only members of Star Fox that are playable despite Falco having no more importance than Peppy or Slippy. Likewise they picked just Greninja without so much as giving a pokeball to the other two Gen VI starters (Urbosa happens to be my favourite of the four, but there's only so much you can do with Lightning Powers compared to Wind controlling bird man with a bow. Although they could give her the spear and do something with the mirror shield from previous games in addition to the scimitar and lightning powers...I should probably stop speculating before I suddenly find myself making dozens of movesets).

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I'd find it odd to pick one over the others, but they've done stuff like that before, so I don't find it impossible. Fox and Falco are the only members of Star Fox that are playable despite Falco having no more importance than Peppy or Slippy. Likewise they picked just Greninja without so much as giving a pokeball to the other two Gen VI starters (Urbosa happens to be my favourite of the four, but there's only so much you can do with Lightning Powers compared to Wind controlling bird man with a bow. Although they could give her the spear and do something with the mirror shield from previous games in addition to the scimitar and lightning powers...I should probably stop speculating before I suddenly find myself making dozens of movesets).

I guess so, yeah.

Personally I would prefer updating the existing Zelda characters before adding any new ones, which fortuantely is what seems to be the case here. All the big Zelda characters are already playable (Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, plus their variations) and I think it would be weird to include only one champion over any of the others.

It's pretty impressive that Link seems to be using his champion outfit by default instead of his signature green tunic, it really shows how influential Breath of the Wild has been.

Edited by Lightchao42

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Personally I would prefer updating the existing Zelda characters before adding any new ones, which fortuantely is what seems to be the case here. All the big Zelda characters are already playable (Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, plus their variations) and I think it would be weird to include only one champion over any of the others.

It's pretty impressive that Link seems to be using his champion outfit by default instead of his signature green tunic, it really shows how influential Breath of the Wild has been.

That's why I think there would be a nice dicotomy if Beast Ganon was playable. The Zelda case would be made up of two Links, two Zeldas (even if I prefer Impa to replace Sheik) and two Ganondorfs. Alternatively, I could see them keeping Sheik as is and introducing Impa with her own moveset based around her Hyrule Warriors movesets.

I wouldn't be surprised if instead of a Zelda newcomer we got updated movesets for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. We already have a high chance that Link will be updated, and it would be odd to have champion Link while keeping TP Zelda, so if we get BotW Zelda she'll likely have some changes. I could see her having a moveset utilizing the Sheikah slate. Ganondorf I have no idea since he's not in BotW. While I don't find it likely that we'd get any moveset inspiration from a Warriors game, if Sakurai wants to do something new with Ganondorf I could see him going with a trident-based moveset.

I don't see Sheik being cut for Impa. Something like that has never happened and I don't see it happening now. Whatever the circumstances around Sheik's existence in the Zelda canon, she's an iconic character now, appearing in 3 (or 4, if you see it that way) Smash games and Hyrule Warriors.

I can see them doing a Smash Bros. game loaded with newcomers but also missing a lot of veterans to be added in future updates so they can focus development time on more crucial content. Ideally free updates like Splatoon and ARMS, but that sure isn't the precedent set by the last game. Character cuts wouldn't seem so harsh when there's the possibility of them being added later.

I just know that releasing this game this year is a big deal since Nintendo needs that new, big multiplayer game to sell their paid online subscriptions launching at the end of the year. Regular updates to said game also synergizes well with the subscription model.

Speaking of BotW’s Zelda, something occurred to me. A huge part of that Zelda’s story was her lack or powers. It will be sort weird to see that Zelda using magic all of the sudden. I wonder if her blue dress costume will also be costume. I actually liked it more than her usual traveling outfit. 

Edited by Water Mage

Turns out someone raised the exposure on the image or something

DX4e4EdWkAEQ9Ny.jpg

Then there's this similar image

DX4eVwaU8AAU0KU.jpg

Both of them reveal pretty much the same thing (though one says Zelda, the other says Ike). The question is, in between Bowser and Captain Falcon....who is that?! It can't be Pikachu, since Pikachu is where Samus is. I can only think of Fox.

Edited by Armagon

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Smash has never cared too much about relevancy but it's still important. Duck Hunt, however, is a retro character. A character that had a one-time game on the NES. The same applies to Ice Climbers, R.O.B, and Game&Watch (except that guy had his own console).

Lemme fix this, relevancy matters in ongoing series, legacy or Retro characters are exempt but everyone else is pretty free game, Sakurai himself stated many times during 4's development, if Awakening came out any later he'd have probably not included Robin he was around at the right time for Sakurai to notice him.

Like many things Smash related, it's a case by case basis

DLC is a whole other can of worms, but what's hip and current is as important as legacy it just matters on which series and what characters we're looking at.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Both of them reveal pretty much the same thing (though one says Zelda, the other says Ike). The question is, in between Bowser and Captain Falcon....who is that?! It can't be Pikachu, since Pikachu is where Samus is. I can only think of Fox.

Unrelated question, is that KOS-MOS in your sig? I've been playing Project X Zone without knowing where half the characters come from and your sig just jumped out at me.

17 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Unrelated question, is that KOS-MOS in your sig? I've been playing Project X Zone without knowing where half the characters come from and your sig just jumped out at me.

Yeah, it's KOS-MOS. I made an effort to represent the entire Xeno series in my signature since it's currently my #1 favorite video game series of all time (i've only played three of the seven games though, those being Xenogears, Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2. I still need to play the entire Xenosaga trilogy and Xenoblade X). 

The KOS-MOS in Project X Zone uses her Xenosaga III design whereas the one in my signature uses her Xenosaga I design.

Speaking of KOS-MOS though, while i doubt that she'll be in Smash (especially since Namco isn't working on the game), i'd like to see a Mii Costume, assuming Miis are coming back.

Edited by Armagon

5 hours ago, Florete said:

I don't see Sheik being cut for Impa. Something like that has never happened and I don't see it happening now. Whatever the circumstances around Sheik's existence in the Zelda canon, she's an iconic character now, appearing in 3 (or 4, if you see it that way) Smash games and Hyrule Warriors.

Whilst I don't see it happening as well, Sheik is hardly iconic to the Zelda series (if, at all). The only reason she should (and likely, will) stay is because of her previous appearances in Smash, which also apply to other characters like Roy and Jigglypuff who are hardly iconic or memorable characters in their respective series.

14 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Whilst I don't see it happening as well, Sheik is hardly iconic to the Zelda series (if, at all). The only reason she should (and likely, will) stay is because of her previous appearances in Smash, which also apply to other characters like Roy and Jigglypuff who are hardly iconic or memorable characters in their respective series.

Heroes disagrees with your statement on Roy as well as him rampant fanbase that brought him back in Smash 4, along with pretty large Japanese fandom, will consede puff though.

I'm kinda eh on Roy myself, but to say he isn't a popular character (I.E memorable to people) is not true, he's memorable to people for multitudes of reasons even if its his suckiness as a unit. 

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Heroes disagrees with your statement on Roy as well as him rampant fanbase that brought him back in Smash 4, along with pretty large Japanese fandom, will consede puff though.

I'm kinda eh on Roy myself, but to say he isn't a popular character (I.E memorable to people) is not true, he's memorable to people for multitudes of reasons even if its his suckiness as a unit. 

Sorry if my sentence was unclear, but we're speaking from the perspective of those characters within the realm of their series. As in, those characters prior to being in Smash. To the Fire Emblem fans, Roy is completely unremarkable and unmemorable. Sheik falls under the same category within the Zelda franchise.

As for the popularity topic... Yes, Roy - and also Sheik - are "memorable" or popular due to Smash. They both have their respective fanbases, even more so Sheik due to her competitive edge. But the reality is, anyone can be popular when they're placed in Smash. As far as I'm concerned, Roy's popularity in Smash would be incredibly minuet compared to Lyn, Hector or even Ephraim. That's purely conjecture, but regardless the discussion wasn't about what the characters mean to Smash, but what they mean to their original franchise. 

1 minute ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Sorry if my sentence was unclear, but we're speaking from the perspective of those characters within the realm of their series. As in, those characters prior to being in Smash. To the Fire Emblem fans, Roy is completely unremarkable and unmemorable. Sheik falls under the same category within the Zelda franchise.

As for the popularity topic... Yes, Roy - and also Sheik - are "memorable" or popular due to Smash. They both have their respective fanbases, even more so Sheik due to her competitive edge. But the reality is, anyone can be popular when they're placed in Smash. As far as I'm concerned, Roy's popularity in Smash would be incredibly minuet compared to Lyn, Hector or even Ephraim. That's purely conjecture, but regardless the discussion wasn't about what the characters mean to Smash, but what they mean to their original franchise. 

I'll restate the Heroes bit for Roy in the first part, because thats kinda unchanged as is his Japanese fandom who voted him as their favorite character in all of FE6.

20 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I'll restate the Heroes bit for Roy in the first part, because thats kinda unchanged as is his Japanese fandom who voted him as their favorite character in all of FE6.

Possibly. It's impossible to really break down numbers on things like CYL, but Roy could have a sizable fanbase (since lords typically score higher than side characters sans Awakening) but it's hard to say how much of his support is from Smash and how much is from his actual game even if you single out Japanese votes. The same applies to Ike, although I typically see more favourable opinions towards Ike & his story compared to Roy, not that that means anything substantial than a general observation.

48 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

I didn't mean in the context of Zelda. Sheik is iconic as a Nintendo character, even though that comes mostly from Smash.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Umm... Roy did won second place in the male division in the Choose Your Legends Poll Round 1 in the Fire Emblem Heroes website. I'm pretty sure Sakurai haven't added Roy back in the final version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl since he's was found in the game data files along with Dr. Mario and Mewtwo. I'm pretty sure Sakurai haven't finished developing Roy along with Dr. Mario and Mewtwo due to time consists before Super Smash Bros. Brawl was finished back then.

Edited by King Marth 64

Yeah, the fact that Roy was planned to be in Brawl and he made it back in Smash 4 as DLC makes me confident that Roy is here to stay.

Speaking of DLC characters, i can't see any of them being cut because, well, their DLC. Especially the returning veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy). Well, Cloud is the only DLC character i can see being cut and that's because Square Enix can be stubborn at times (only two FF songs in both versions of Smash 4).

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Regarding other potential Zelda reps, I could see them taking something from Hyrule Warriors. Like Lana, Cia or Linkle. Breath of the Wild was also super popular so I could see them bringing in one of the Champions from that, Revali would be the most likely for moveset reasons.

I could see BotW characters showing up as assist trophies. I'd vote for Vatti for playable character with a lasting presence in the series.

9 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

It's definitely a first to see him outside of his green tunic, but the characters looking like their most recent version is pretty standard for Smash.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Mega Man? Perhaps some of the 3rd Party characters are returning?

I'll take a New Donk City stage. Just to keep my wishes low. Maybe a BotW Hyrule Tour for Zelda? At least the Plateau, but the rest would be nice, or at least the more inhabited regions.

Speaking of DLC characters, i can't see any of them being cut because, well, their DLC. Especially the returning veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy). Well, Cloud is the only DLC character i can see being cut and that's because Square Enix can be stubborn at times (only two FF songs in both versions of Smash 4).

I'm pretty sure the Cloud DLC content only gotten the Stage with just two songs and just trophies of him. And the only Square Enix content other than Cloud are Chocobo costume and Geno Mii Fighter costume since Geno is part of Square Enix as well. And speak of which, Steve Burton did said that he hasn't been contacted by Nintendo since he did loved voicing Cloud (I don't know, they did managed to get Kyle Hebert to voice Ryu, Jason Griffith and Roger Craig Smith to voice Sonic, David Hayter as Solid Snake, and even Hellena Taylor as Bayonetta managed to reprised their roles, but not Steve Burton returning to voice Cloud in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U is really odd) and he did said that he did have time as well. I kinda think about it, I am not entirely too sure if Nintendo or Sakurai was trying to obtain all the necessary rights to gain other things to add such as more music, more character trophies, etc. and Square Enix might have told them what to use for Cloud Strife DLC content?

I don't know if they'll probably add more content for supporting and imporiving to Cloud Strife's stuff and possibly add more character trophies maybe such as Tifa, Barret, Aeris/Aerith, Sephirot, etc. as well.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, it's KOS-MOS. I made an effort to represent the entire Xeno series in my signature since it's currently my #1 favorite video game series of all time (i've only played three of the seven games though, those being Xenogears, Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2. I still need to play the entire Xenosaga trilogy and Xenoblade X). 

The KOS-MOS in Project X Zone uses her Xenosaga III design whereas the one in my signature uses her Xenosaga I design.

Speaking of KOS-MOS though, while i doubt that she'll be in Smash (especially since Namco isn't working on the game), i'd like to see a Mii Costume, assuming Miis are coming back.

Cool. I should probably look into the Xeno stuff. Is any of the pre-Shulk stuff on Nintendo consoles or the Vita? That's all I own. Also, does KOS-MOS randomly say 'nya' at the end of some sentences? She just said it out of the blue in PXZ and I was curious. I'd also probably give a Mii KOS-MOS a shot, though she did kind of weird me out with her super move with T-ELOS - their tops get cut open? Is that a reference as well?

Yeah, the fact that Roy was planned to be in Brawl and he made it back in Smash 4 as DLC makes me confident that Roy is here to stay.

Eh, I guess I could see Square being stupid about that. Me, I'm a little worried about losing Ryu, and Megaman while we're on the subject. Also, if someone could please make certain Bayonetta does NOT return, that'd be great. I mean, Snake was cooler anyways.

Oh wait, Sakurai mostly does this stuff based on recent or(in Corrin's case) upcoming games…and there's a certain game that happens to also be by Square Enix that's supposed to happen this year…and now 5mash…COULD IT BE?!?!
Not gonna lie, I'd buy a Switch and the game and drop even more money for THAT DLC, even if it meant Square said no Cloud then.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mega Man? Perhaps some of the 3rd Party characters are returning?

It could be Mega Man but there's also these ear-like things on his head. Mega Man doesn't have that. That's why i think it might be Fox but Fox isn't small. 

Regardless, 3rd Party Characters are definitely coming back. 

• Sonic is guaranteed. There's no way he isn't coming back.
  • Mega Man has received a relevancy boost thanks to Mega Man 11 releasing later this year.
  • Pac-Man, while Namco isn't working on the game this time, Sakurai made a strong emphasis on how cool it was that Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are in the same game. That's also another reason why Mega Man's returning chances are high.
  • Ryu might come back. He's got a pretty unique moveset and i feel that him being DLC increases his chances. It'd leave a bad taste in my mouth if i had to pay for character only for them to be cut in the next game.
  • Cloud, despite being DLC, has the lowest chances i feel, because Square Enix can be stubborn as i've said before. Every other DLC character represented their franchise well but for Cloud, it was just "here's Cloud, here's Midgar, here's two FF7 songs, bye".
  • Bayonetta, love her or hate her, she's probably coming back. She'll likely be nerfed to hell but she's basically an unofficial Nintendo character at this point.
7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Cool. I should probably look into the Xeno stuff. Is any of the pre-Shulk stuff on Nintendo consoles or the Vita?

The first Xeno game, Xenogears, is available on the Playstation Store for PS3, PSP, and PSVita. Since you have a Vita, you'll be able to buy it. The Xenosaga trilogy though, if you don't have a PS2 or you live in Europe (Xenosaga I and III never made it to Europe for whatever reason, even though Xenosaga II did), you'll have to emulate and you'll need a powerful PC for it. I was able to emulate Xenogears with no problems, but when i tried emulating Xenosaga, my PC could barely run anything that wasn't the menus. Obviously, i could't even get past the beginning.

Also, does KOS-MOS randomly say 'nya' at the end of some sentences? She just said it out of the blue in PXZ and I was curious

Not really. This is the first i've heard of it so i did some research.....apparently it's something that happens only in PXZ.

Speaking of appearing in other games though, KOS-MOS does appear in Xenoblade 2 as a Rare Blade, so if you ever get that game, keep that in mind. Emphasis on rare though, because you only have a 0.714% of actually getting her and that's if you maximize your chances. She is factually the rarest Blade in the game.

I'd also probably give a Mii KOS-MOS a shot, though she did kind of weird me out with her super move with T-ELOS - their tops get cut open? Is that a reference as well?

Yeah, that's T-elos' U-TENERITAS attack, though KOS-MOS doesn't have it in the source material (i think).

Also, if someone could please make certain Bayonetta does NOT return, that'd be great. I mean, Snake was cooler anyways.

I'd love to have Snake back but that requires Konami being dicks for once.