Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

4 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Shovel Knight's one game has received multiple expansions and sold over 2 million; as far as I can tell, it's downright impossible to find any sort of quantifiable data for Shantae.

Little Mac and Dark Samus show that not being popular in Japan isn't a lockout from Smash, and both tangential and quantifiable data points to Shovel Knight being more popular.

And as I said above, "history with Nintendo" isn't a requirement at all (officially just a "courtesy", even)-- Cloud and Bayonetta show that much.

At this point, nothing more can be said on the matter-- if she gets in, I'll gladly eat my words. If she doesn't, I told you so. That's all it boils down to, really.

I'm not saying she's definitely getting in. I'm saying Shovel Knight wouldn't get in ahead of her.

There certainly is more that can be said on the matter, but I won't bother because it's not going to change whatever the result is.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Jave said:

Please don’t do this. This is not supposed to be a contest and makes the overall discussion really unpleasant. 

I personally don't care about Shantae either way. If she does get in, I'll gladly admit I was wrong-- but if she doesn't, then I'll hold to my logic; that's what I meant, just phrasing things a bit more exaggeratedly on both accounts.

Judging by the thumbnails on my Youtube Recommends, I guess "leaks" are getting crazy right now eh? I wish somebody would "leak" Ryo Hazuki as a fighter. Seems like that's the only way to open conversation about what a character would look like in Smash. They gotta be "leaked"

16 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Hide contents

ff0.jpg

Not sure if this picture is well done. Luigi and Doctor Mario should be in the same part as Mario, Greninja should have been in the middle. Pit and Dark Pit are sword based fighters, and where is Peach in this?

lol Brawler and Projectile/energy are suuuuuch broad terms that it doesn't prove anything. Imagine if I made a diagram based on how old these characters are. But the fields are 1980-1989, 1990, and 1991-present. Look at how few characters we have from 1990! That's why we need Guybrush Threepwood from The Secret of Monkey Island in Smash.

I mean, we do need Guybrush in Smash. But not for such a shallow, cherry-picked reason.

Edited by Glennstavos

42 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

lol Brawler and Projectile/energy are suuuuuch broad terms that it doesn't prove anything. Imagine if I made a diagram based on how old these characters are. But the fields are 1980-1989, 1990, and 1991-present. Look at how few characters we have from 1990! That's why we need Guybrush Threepwood from The Secret of Monkey Island in Smash.

I mean, we do need Guybrush in Smash. But not for such a shallow, cherry-picked reason.

it's a venn diagram, it's supposed to be broad, the point is finding shared characteristics, while I think "uses weapon" would have been a better category than "swords" in a generic sense, the point was mainly to say the complaint is way overblown.

also, brawler isn't broad at all, it is characters who are primarily fisticuffs (uses nothing), looking at mario and ryu they would belong in a similar category, if your primary means of attack is punching, you are a brawler, mario punches, sure he has other attacks, but he mostly punches, captain falcon punches, it is all he is good for, both are brawlers because they punch.

If we’re all done arguing idiotic semantics that literally don’t matter.

What has been everyone’s favorite reveal so far? Be it character, a mode, setting etc.

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

What has been everyone’s favorite reveal so far? Be it character, a mode, setting etc.

Simon Belmont’s easy. That was amazing 

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

K. Rool for me. I legit thought he'd never get in. 

36 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

it's a venn diagram, it's supposed to be broad, the point is finding shared characteristics, while I think "uses weapon" would have been a better category than "swords" in a generic sense, the point was mainly to say the complaint is way overblown.

also, brawler isn't broad at all, it is characters who are primarily fisticuffs (uses nothing), looking at mario and ryu they would belong in a similar category, if your primary means of attack is punching, you are a brawler, mario punches, sure he has other attacks, but he mostly punches, captain falcon punches, it is all he is good for, both are brawlers because they punch.

I wasn't even going to bring up all the dubious placements. Are you telling me the similarities between Metaknight and Marth are comparable to the similarities between Bowser Jr and Greninja? Or Duck Hunt and Samus? It's a braindead diagram. 

But ugh, I can't even look at it for longer than five seconds. Pac-Man's a brawler? Less than half of his attacks involve him physically touching his opponent. Ditto for Olimar.

27 minutes ago, Jedi said:

-The Mystery Mode. I have my own ideas for what this might be. But just the boldness in saying "there's also this...but we can't talk about that now". You don't get those kinds of moments in video game presentations. Not even in the usual, quirky Nintendo Direct. Withheld or secretive game info is either a)microtransactions, b)a DLC season pass, or c) some other disappointment. They could reveal that the mystery mode is just the irrelevant Chronicle feature from Brawl and I don't think I'd be upset at the end of the day.

-Classic Mode with set opponents unique to each fighter is my second favorite reveal. Classic mode hasn't been speedrun viable because of the random assortment of opponents since Melee. Just knowing that there's one good category in Smash Ultimate this far away from release warms my heart. Smash 4 had nothing since every single player mode just had to have random opponents and objectives. There's also that chest icon as the second to last stage. A chest icon indicated bonus stages in Melee and Brawl I believe, so it also gives me hope we'll see the return of Break The Targets which is also huge for speedrunning. And huge for, y'know, players that enjoy fun bonus stages which ought to be everybody.

-Squad Strike. Any long time competitive player saw this mode and thought "They made a mode for Crew Battles?". I don't even think I've seen a crew battle in Smash 4 or Brawl's time, so only the adults recognize how insane this is. Seen a lot of players think "oh, it's a mode where I can use my five mains, that's cool". No it's a 5v5 relay grudge match. Your group of friends against another group of friends. The best players in your region against the best players in another region. The reason why this isn't the top of the list is because the way Sakurai describes the mode doesn't sound quite the same in terms of rules, but I'm sure the mode is customizable for how you can play it.

Edited by Glennstavos

6 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Not sure if this picture is well done. Luigi and Doctor Mario should be in the same part as Mario, Greninja should have been in the middle. Pit and Dark Pit are sword based fighters, and where is Peach in this?

I'm starting to think people are missing the point of this diagram.

Anyways, Squad Strike, Stage Morph, Stage Hazard toggle off, 8 players Smash being available for all the stages (unless I heard that wrong), Battle Field mode, over a 100 stages, Stock Stamina, Final Smash Meter,  Richter Belmont's, Chrom's , & Dark Samus revelation, & everyone returning!

• If Squad Strike is exactly what I think it is then this is the mode I'm looking forward to the 2nd most. I've always wanted an All-Star mode & Smash run was the closest thing I had
  • Stage Morph is gimmicky mode but that's exactly why I'm excited for this feature. I'm very curious to see the transition of Isle Delfino to New Donk City.
  • I always loved 8 Player Smash & knowing it's available for all stages now is more than I could've imagined. I'm sure that has to with Smash 4 being hacked & showing that you can play all of them without any problems (except with some stages makes you fall to your death in the beginning of the round).  It's the 8th generation of game console & I still think it's stupid that Smash is one of the few games you can play more than 5 players with.
  • This is an insane amount of stages even for Smash. I don't think Tobal 2 had that many, not that I would be surprise considering how lazy that game was.
  • I've been wanting Stamina Stock since Melee. This is really nice option to have beside the usual Smash
  • Even if it's not tourney viable, it'll be really nice to finally have another way to use the Final Smash without the stupid Smash Ball.
  • While everyone's trailer has always been hype, Richter's inclusion proves that 3rd party character can be use as echo as well. So Ken is more than likely going to be in the game now. Meanwhile Chrom's revelation provides that echo fighters can have combination of other characters' moveset which means there could more echoes fighters like Chrom. Dark Samus shows echoes fighter don't have be literal copy & paste characters with it having uniques attack animation & such
  • I never thought we would ever have everybody return. Like every single character coming back just seem like pipe dream & here we are. It's insane to see Squirtle, Ivysaur, & Pichu return. It's even more insane that Snake's back given Koonami's infamous reputation. A chance for Snake to fight Ryu that doesn't Mugen it just nuts to think about. I still can't believe it's a Nintendo game where Snake get fight against & along with Cloud Strife. I feel so sorry PS All Stars, it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Melee be damn, this game is going to be the best in the series.

5 hours ago, Jedi said:

Chrom's inclusion as a playable character plus seeing Castlevania content. Though really I liked just about everything shown in the August Direct.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

What has been everyone’s favorite reveal so far?

Honestly... Richter's the only one that came out of nowhere, so I guess he wins by default for me.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

Richter all the way, I don't think I've ever reacted with such excitement about anything in the history of Smash

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'd say snake overall, simon for newcomers, all together, I'd say that I really don't care much for any of the newcomers so far (especially chrom), I hope they give me something new to be excited about but I doubt that will be the case.

@Glennstavos I'll give you bowser jr (ranged) and greninja (brawler), but duck hunt and samus are both primarily ranged, just because they are not aesthetically similar doesn't mean there is no overlap.

2 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Chrom's inclusion as a playable character plus seeing Castlevania content. Though really I liked just about everything shown in the August Direct.

Yea, that was a really good direct.

I wonder if Sakurai & his team can top that in the next Smash direct.

5 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Yea, that was a really good direct.

I wonder if Sakurai & his team can top that in the next Smash direct.

I dunno. It depends on what new characters are left to announce plus whatever 'mystery mode' is. At this point though I am just ready to play the game since whatever is left to announce probably won't interest me much personally.

23 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I dunno. It depends on what new characters are left to announce plus whatever 'mystery mode' is. At this point though I am just ready to play the game since whatever is left to announce probably won't interest me much personally.

Any characters that can get you more hype than you are right now?

I suspect they might reveal Banjo and Kazooie as their last reveal. 

Microsoft and Nintendo have been playing nice with each other lately, and I'm sure Microsoft is aware that Nintendo's been treating other publishers/developers well with Smash. Banjo(And to a lesser extent, Conker) is kind of the last big Nintendo-associated icon that they haven't pulled yet, even if Nintendo no longer holds the rights to Banjo, and I'm sure Sakurai is aware of how much Banjo is wanted. Plus, Microsoft doing this would be a sign of good faith to Banjo fans. 

Also, Nintendo's going to have to start prepping the N64 Classic soon. If they don't get Microsoft on board to let them re-release some Rare classics, that's kind of a gimped system. They can't even get Diddy Kong Racing without their permission. DK64 is just about the only Rare game they could release on the thing, and that's arguably their weakest release on the N64.

It could just not happen, but I could absolutely see it being their "One more thing" on the last Direct for Smash. 

Edited by Slumber

7 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Earthworm Jim.
The soil he did crawl.
Earthworm Jim.
A super suit did fall.

Jim was just a dirt-eating chewy length of worm flesh,
But all that came to a crashing end just like that.

Earthworm Jim.
He's such a groovy guy.
Earth-worm Jim.
He rockets through the sky.

Cruising through the universe having lots of fun.
Here comes Earthworm Jim you know that he's the mighty one.
Look out!

La la la la, la la la la, la la la....

Despite his great big muscles and his really big ray gun,
Jim is still an Earthworm but then he's the only one,
With a super suit that makes him really super strong.
Jim can be a winner if we only sing along.

Earthworm Jim.
We think he's mighty fine.
Earthworm Jim.
A hero for all time.

Earthworm,
Earthworm,
Earthworm,
Earthworm Jim
Hooray for HIM!!!

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

An Atlus rep like Jack Frost would get me excited. The character I would like to see the most though is Anna (even if I am the only person who would be excited about it) as either a playable character (her whole moveset could be based around using different weapon types) or at least an Assist Trophy. Or at the very least if there is a shop mode to purchase things like in Smash Wii U (if it comes back hopefully it has more than trophies) I wouldn't mind seeing it being run by famous merchants from various series like aforementioned Anna from FE, Beedle from Zelda, Tom Nook (I think that is his name) from Animal Crossing and so on.

What about you, any characters you hoping to see?

Edited by NSSKG151

I just want my Shadow, and my life will be complete. The only other person I really wanted in was Lyn and she’s already disconfirmed. 

My favourite reveal was the 'Everyone is Here!' trailer. It was a literal dream come true to have everyone return, and the music throughout was just, so good.

Runner ups would be the Castlevania and Chrom reveals.

You know what would top everything though? A Bandana Dee reveal~