Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

But anyway I think Rex has a decent chance for the next game when it releases in 2035

...What? What makes you think we won't get another Smash game for 16 years?

35 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The DQ protagonists were by far the most exciting newcomer announced for this game so far.  None of the other newcomers were super appealing to me besides the plant, which I mainly liked for the "wth" factor.

I really enjoy Dragon Quest, and I'm glad that multiple protags are selectable, really happy VIII's protag was among the playable ones.  Their spell menu/MP gimmick seems fun enough as well.

I do find the Final Smash kinda funny though since it summons what's essentially a bunch of strangers.  DQ games take place generations apart at best and in entirely different dimensions otherwise, so none of these guys actually know each other.  That said, it's cool fanservice for the fans of the protags that aren't playable.

At least you're enjoying it. As a person who's never gotten into the series, it felt a bit expected and personally a boring pick at the same time. And yeah, I was wondering about the menus system there seems to be. The variety in costumes was a nice touch, fair is fair.

Least we can't say FE alone is overdoing it with the swords.

As for Banjo, did anyone else feel like the reveal itself was a poor trailer? I certainly did, but the graphical dip seemed particularly bad in the change to gameplay with just this trailer too, though I could be just too nitpicky. The stage seems real nice though, does it look like the slope will be relevant in some form?

Edited by Dayni

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't care about Sonic, so I can't say anything about him for either game. But as I said, Ultimate gave Ike both his iconic designs, had them differently voiced, and gave them slightly different lines, none of which PM can say it did for Ike. Now one thing I do wish Ultimate had done for him is give him more of his actual outfits, like Lord for PoR Ike and Vanguard for RD Ike.

Sure, sure but his moveset was a total letdown. and besides, I liked Ikes zelgius armored alt in PM, See that's the thing about Nintendo, they won't put alts in. why? because its a good idea, that's why.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Sure, sure but his moveset was a total letdown. and besides, I liked Ikes zelgius armored alt in PM, See that's the thing about Nintendo, they won't put alts in. why? because its a good idea, that's why.

I think Ike's moveset is fine. All I'd change is replace either Counter or Eruption with Ragnell's projectile attack. I will never understand why Sakurai thought it'd be OP on Ike, but absolutely fine on Cloud.

They've put a few real alts in, but I do agree there should be more.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...What? What makes you think we won't get another Smash game for 16 years?

That specific, overly large number was a joke. Sakurai said it would be nice to wait ten years for the next game, but most likely it will start development whenever the next Nintendo console is released.

Edited by Lightchao42

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

That specific, overly large number was a joke. Sakurai said it would be nice to wait ten years for the next game, but most likely it will start development whenever the next Nintendo console is released.

Oh, my mistake. I didn't see any indication that it was a joke since it was just neutral sounding text to me.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think Ike's moveset is fine. All I'd change is replace either Counter or Eruption with Ragnell's projectile attack. I will never understand why Sakurai thought it'd be OP on Ike, but absolutely fine on Cloud.

Okay, Smash U has 8 repalletes for most characters, why? Like I said, this game has no heart, that's why. I can agree, I'm happy they used Zero Mission/Fusion ZSS since I speedrun those games so i'm biased. Course, that was Smash 4, so no credit for U there. But overall? Sloppy work by them.

Edited by lightcosmo

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

At least you're enjoying it. As a person who's never gotten into the series, it felt a bit expected and personally a boring pick at the same time. And yeah, I was wondering about the menus system there seems to be. The variety in costumes was a nice touch, fair is fair.

Least we can't say FE alone is overdoing it with the swords.

All the hate they're getting among westerners is kinda depressing tbh.  This is like a dream come true for me. 

Edited by Glaceon Mage

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'd replace Eruption with the projectile. It's the move that is out of place and unnecessary.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

I'd replace Eruption with the projectile. It's the move that is out of place and unnecessary.

It is kinda out of place, but I think it's a cool move anyway. 😛

Just now, Glaceon Mage said:

All the hate they're getting among westerners is kinda depressing tbh.  This is like a dream come true for me. 

DQ's always held a particular sway in Japan that it never quite matched elsewhere, which would certainly annoy those who were wishing for their particular favourites to show up if, say we got the Luminary instead. So for those who would rather see other series (Let's be honest, I'd be shouting if they added Vivi but I'm not pretending that's happening).

Then again, there's several nintendo characters I'd love to see in Smash that I don't anticipate at this point.

Probably the least exciting Smash reveals at an E3 for me ever. I don't play either of those franchises, and they were heavily rumored so it wasn't even a surprise.

I still have yet to see a character I actually wanted get in as a newcomer in this game.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

DQ's always held a particular sway in Japan that it never quite matched elsewhere, which would certainly annoy those who were wishing for their particular favourites to show up if, say we got the Luminary instead. So for those who would rather see other series (Let's be honest, I'd be shouting if they added Vivi but I'm not pretending that's happening).

Then again, there's several nintendo characters I'd love to see in Smash that I don't anticipate at this point.

Yeah, DQ was mainly for the Japanese fanbase, and it's kinda annoying that a lot of western people I've seen on smash forums don't seem to realize just how much of a BIG THING DQ is over there.  Like, everybody and their mom plays DQ in Japan.

Even if I don't live in Japan, it's still pretty frustrating.  

I hope that plenty of people pick up the switch version of DQXI.  And the 3DS versions of VII and VIII.  Etc.  These games are very consistently good, in my opinion, and it's a shame that the series never got as much footing here for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Right. But to be honest, I think it belongs more on Roy than on Ike. That would also help make Roy a little more different.

People did theorize that it originally WAS going to be Roy's move in Brawl, but due to the time constraints that left Roy out of the game, it was given to Ike instead.

I'm very excited for The DQ Hero to be in this — but it was briefly hilarious to me that he's the second character in a row without a name (at least Joker is called such in P5). And the menu-based moves make me smile.

I don't care about Banjo & Kazooie as characters (no experience with those games), but they look super fun to play. He swings the bird like a club! Really, I love how almost every character plays in Ultimate; it's crazy.

One of my best friends was hoping for Banjo since forever, so this is awesome news. Between all my brothers and friends, I think all of us have our dream picks in the game now.

17 minutes ago, Florete said:

I still have yet to see a character I actually wanted get in as a newcomer in this game.

Who's someone you want to see added?

4 minutes ago, Johann said:

Who's someone you want to see added?

My top choices have been 2B, Dixie Kong, and Anna. Shantae, Amaterasu (Okami), and a stylist from Style Savvy would also be exciting for me. I haven't thought much beyond that.

Are the Dragon Quest bros getting hate?

To be completely honest, I thought the series was locked to both Japan and in the 90s for years until maybe a few years ago? I have been a little interested in giving one of the games a chance, but then a few years ago I could barely afford to buy clothes I needed...

I also never played Banjo Kaazooie. Never thought it was worth my time due to a "It's just one of many Mario 64-like games" mentality.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

My top choices have been 2B, Dixie Kong, and Anna. Shantae, Amaterasu (Okami), and a stylist from Style Savvy would also be exciting for me. I haven't thought much beyond that.

Yeah, the lack of female characters (especially main characters) is pretty disappointing. I'd like to think Dixie Kong is a frontrunner for future DLC (if any) or the next game, and most of the others you listed are certainly popular and well-known enough to get people excited, so maybe there's hope eventually. Shame it's probably not anytime soon though.

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I also never played Banjo Kaazooie. Never thought it was worth my time due to a "It's just one of many Mario 64-like games" mentality.

I really like the games dialogue, for sure. Grunty's rhyme's are pretty humerous overall if you ask me, and things like the quiz are pretty fun to do. also, the games pretty difficult if that's your thing, unlike Mario 64.

I kind of feel that Dragon Quest is the last series that really "deserves" to have a character in Smash. I would say Shin Megami Tensei too, but that has Joker even though he only represents Persona (which is a spinoff of SMT), so I'm not sure what to think of that case.

Banjo-Kazooie is an odd case because the series isn't iconic (like, say, Crash is) and it hasn't been relevant in a decade, but it technically originated as a first-party Nintendo series. Banjo probably would've been in Brawl or 4 if the series stayed with Nintendo (and wasn't left to rot).

In other news, I recall hearing that the first three Fighters Pass characters were in development at launch. I take that to mean the last two started development recently, assuming they started at all (Banjo and Kazooie don't seem as polished as Hero, so maybe they aren't very far either). It makes me wonder if the final two will have a different philosophy from the first three.