Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

The first Xeno game, Xenogears, is available on the Playstation Store for PS3, PSP, and PSVita. Since you have a Vita, you'll be able to buy it. The Xenosaga trilogy though, if you don't have a PS2 or you live in Europe (Xenosaga I and III never made it to Europe for whatever reason, even though Xenosaga II did), you'll have to emulate and you'll need a powerful PC for it. I was able to emulate Xenogears with no problems, but when i tried emulating Xenosaga, my PC could barely run anything that wasn't the menus. Obviously, i could't even get past the beginning.

Not really. This is the first i've heard of it so i did some research.....apparently it's something that happens only in PXZ.

Speaking of appearing in other games though, KOS-MOS does appear in Xenoblade 2 as a Rare Blade, so if you ever get that game, keep that in mind. Emphasis on rare though, because you only have a 0.714% of actually getting her and that's if you maximize your chances. She is factually the rarest Blade in the game.

Yeah, that's T-elos' U-TENERITAS attack, though KOS-MOS doesn't have it in the source material (i think).

I'd love to have Snake back but that requires Konami being dicks for once. 

Sounds good, I'll give them a look. Is Xenoblade one of those series where you need to play the first one to understand the second and so on, or could I just jump in with a later game if I somehow can't find the first one(I prefer physical copies for most games) and not be too lost?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Sounds good, I'll give them a look. Is Xenoblade one of those series where you need to play the first one to understand the second and so on, or could I just jump in with a later game if I somehow can't find the first one(I prefer physical copies for most games) and not be too lost?

It doesn't really matter where you start in Xenoblade. At this point, most people have gotten into the series with Xenoblade 2 and they understood the story just fine. 

My personal recommendation though is to start with Xenoblade 1 first, if only because both X and 2 significantly improve on the gameplay. Xenoblade 1 has the weakest gameplay of the three -blade games so it'd be good to get that out the way first. But the choice is up to you.

If you want more details, i can DM you since we're kinda getting off-topic here.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It doesn't really matter where you start in Xenoblade. At this point, most people have gotten into the series with Xenoblade 2 and they understood the story just fine. 

My personal recommendation though is to start with Xenoblade 1 first, if only because both X and 2 significantly improve on the gameplay. Xenoblade 1 has the weakest gameplay of the three -blade games so it'd be good to get that out the way first. But the choice is up to you.

If you want more details, i can DM you since we're kinda getting off-topic here.

Nah, I'm good, where to start was the last question I had about it. I'll shoot you a PM if I have another question arise, though.

On the subject of Xenoblade, the timing of development makes me wonder about Rex and Pyra's chances. Sakurai started development on a new project (which may or may not have been Smash Switch) shortly after Smash 4's DLC was finished, and the roster for previous games were solidified shortly after development started. If makes me wonder if Xenoblade 2 was a consideration at the time, because if it wasn't then it may have missed its chance of getting a playable character.

Of course this game will probably feature content from Super Mario Odyssey which was released around a month before XC2, so maybe my concern is for nothing. At the very least it should've helped prevent Shulk from being cut.

Looking back at earlier posts do people really want more playable Zelda characters in Smash? I always thought Link, Zelda and Ganondorf was enough for Zelda representation and characters like Midna, Ghirahim, Skull Kid and Vaati were better off as assist trophies. If we do get another Zelda character I would like to see Impa as a Shiek alt since I feel that Shiek is also irrelevant to the Zelda series at this point.

Speaking of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, considering that Sakurai apparently really liked the game I suppose there is no avoiding seeing a lot of Xenoblade content in the next smash game. I just hope that Sakurai tones down on the overexposure since he kind of overdid it with Kirby's representation in Brawl and Kid Icarus in Smash 4.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

On the subject of Xenoblade, the timing of development makes me wonder about Rex and Pyra's chances. Sakurai started development on a new project (which may or may not have been Smash Switch) shortly after Smash 4's DLC was finished, and the roster for previous games were solidified shortly after development started. If makes me wonder if Xenoblade 2 was a consideration at the time, because if it wasn't then it may have missed its chance of getting a playable character.

I think it depends on whether on not this Smash game is a port or new game. If it is a port then its very unlikely but if its a new game then I think it is very likely to see a new Xenoblade rep. I suppose it also depends how long XC2 was in development and when Sakurai became aware of its existence.

35 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I think it depends on whether on not this Smash game is a port or new game. If it is a port then its very unlikely but if its a new game then I think it is very likely to see a new Xenoblade rep. I suppose it also depends how long XC2 was in development and when Sakurai became aware of its existence.

How does a port make it unlikely? Given the approximate development time, a port should make newcomers more likely since less development time needs to be spent on other things.

23 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

9 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I suppose it also depends how long XC2 was in development and when Sakurai became aware of its existence.

Well, if you remember Greninja, he was already in Smash before the public even knew of X/Y. Sakurai designed his moveset based on concept art. So, considering that, i do feel that Rex and Pyra's chances are pretty high. Xenoblade 2 began development in 2014, the same year that Smash 4 released and Smash 4 didn't fully finish development until 2016, with the release of Corrin and Bayonetta. Sakurai probably knew of XC2's development long before the public knew. Another thing, the Link in Smash 5 is BotW Link. You know who worked on BotW? Monolith Soft. What's Monolith Soft best known for? Xeno, specifically the -blade games. Yeah, Sakurai probably walked into Monolith Soft HQ a few times and saw XC2.

17 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

considering that Sakurai apparently really liked the game I suppose there is no avoiding seeing a lot of Xenoblade content in the next smash game.

For those who don't know, here's a summary of what Sakurai had to say

It probably means nothing but considering that Sakurai really liked Xenoblade 2, that may have an influence. Regardless, two things are guaranteed to happen (probably).

1. Xenoblade will have much more representation. In Smash 4, it was just Xenoblade 1 but now we'll be seeing both X and 2 content can't wait to make really dumb custom stages and have Black Tar play in the background.
  2. Shulk is here to stay. Shulk being in Smash is the reason why Xenoblade got to where it is today. 

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

1. Shulk is here to stay. Shulk being in Smash is the reason why Xenoblade got to where it is today. 

People making Operation Rainfall is partly what got peoples attention on Xenoblade first, Smash only enhanced that. Just thought i'd clarify that.

People made a huge huge huge deal about Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's tower not getting localized since they were JRPG titles that the Wii sorely lacked.

Edited by Jedi

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, if you remember Greninja, he was already in Smash before the public even knew of X/Y. Sakurai designed his moveset based on concept art. So, considering that, i do feel that Rex and Pyra's chances are pretty high. Xenoblade 2 began development in 2014, the same year that Smash 4 released and Smash 4 didn't fully finish development until 2016, with the release of Corrin and Bayonetta. Sakurai probably knew of XC2's development long before the public knew. Another thing, the Link in Smash 5 is BotW Link. You know who worked on BotW? Monolith Soft. What's Monolith Soft best known for? Xeno, specifically the -blade games. Yeah, Sakurai probably walked into Monolith Soft HQ a few times and saw XC2.

I figured that someone would bring up Greninja at some point, but that comparison doesn't work because Pokémon is Pokémon, it always gets a new character.

And I do imagine that Sakurai was keeping tabs on what other Nintendo developers were doing so he likely did know that XC2 existed, the real question is if he felt that Xenoblade was deserving of another character before XC2 was released.

(And even if Rex and Pyra aren't in the base game, they still have a good chance of being added as DLC if there is any.)

Edited by Lightchao42

If we're talking a brand new game and new base roster I'm certain they'd have to consider dropping Shulk in favor of a 2 rep. Which would be a shame. Shulk has a really cool gimmick that I get to have fun with when I eat him as Kirby.

Speaking of character gimmicks, I'm hoping for more revamps of veterans. Bowser went from Ganondorf level of disappointing to one of the coolest thanks to his redesign. And a lot of veteran characters have had tons of games to draw new moves or ideas from. Make these old characters feel new. And if you're worried people will miss the old moves, that's what custom moves are for.

11 minutes ago, Jedi said:

People making Operation Rainfall is partly what got peoples attention on Xenoblade first, Smash only enhanced that. Just thought i'd clarify that.

People made a huge huge huge deal about Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's tower not getting localized since they were JRPG titles that the Wii sorely lacked.

That's true but even with Operation Rainfall, Xenoblade fell into obscurity due to the game's limited print run. Xenoblade didn't truly get until the spotlight until Shulk was in Smash, evident by the fact that a lot of people didn't know who Shulk or what Xenoblade is.

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If we're talking a brand new game and new base roster I'm certain they'd have to consider dropping Shulk in favor of a 2 rep. Which would be a shame. Shulk has a really cool gimmick that I get to have fun with when I eat him as Kirby.

Shulk isn't going anywhere (probably). As i said before, him being in Smash is what really brought Xenoblade into the spotlight. Cutting him would be like cutting Marth.

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Is Xenoblade one of those series where you need to play the first one to understand the second and so on, or could I just jump in with a later game if I somehow can't find the first one(I prefer physical copies for most games) and not be too lost?

If they ever announce a Xenoblade Chronicles X2, you'll likely want to play the first first, since X2 would likely pick up on the giant cliffhanger X left off on. But you'll have 3-6 years I think before that gets announced and released. Plenty of time.

52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade will have much more representation. In Smash 4, it was just Xenoblade 1 but now we'll be seeing both X and 2 content can't wait to make really dumb custom stages and have Black Tar play in the background.

What to take from X? Elma and Lin (with Tatsu) trophies for sure, but otherwise I don't know what to take. The music will likely have few tracks ripped from it, even though X has the weakest soundtrack of Xeno games. A stage would be asking for too much, but NLA or Sylvalum or Noctilum would be wonderful. Ideally with some Skells in the background. And if we're in Sylvalum, a giant Xe-dom patrolling the area. Don't worry- they are only aggressive against robots, normal lifeforms they ignore (RIP R.O.B. and Mega Man on this stage).

Elma as a playable? Doubt it'd happen. But Dual Guns and Dual Swords is an kinda unique combo. Bayonnaise has the former, and Pit has been doing the later, but Elma could be something, and she's a female too. Shadowstrike would be like Shulk's Back Slash. Ghostwalker/Ghost Factory for her Down Special would be good. Meet Decoys Smash! Single strong hits? She'll take them without flinching. Aforementioned Umbran Witch however could easily break them with Bullet Arts, since Decoys erode at the same rate regardless of hit power. Making them great against strong single hits, but bad against rapid hitters.

Or Elma could bring the full arsenal of X weaponry. There is no reason she can't use: Longswords, Shields, Spears, Knives, Photon Sabers, or Assault Rifles, Gatling Guns, Sniper Rifles, Rayguns, or Psycho Launchers. And a Skell (ideally the Ares 90 or Prog Ares or the original Ares that we never see in the actual game save the very beginning cinematic sequence) for her Final Smash- these are ultimately just flashy flashiness fests though, nothing to really do with gameplay.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

@Armagon Even without knowing that Sakurai was interested in Xenoblade I kind of expected or assumed Xenoblade was going to get more representation in the next Smash game which I honestly do not mind as long as it is not overdone like Kid Icarus representation in Smash 4.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

How does a port make it unlikely? Given the approximate development time, a port should make newcomers more likely since less development time needs to be spent on other things.

My thought process was is if it is just a port it will be like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and all they will do is add two or three new characters (Splatoon, the return of Ice Climbers and probably an ARMS character), some alternate costumes for older characters and one or two new modes. Most Wii U ports so far have been lacking in new content if I'm not mistaken and I'm just expecting the same for a Smash 4 port.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I highly doubt they will ever cut Shulk even if they do add new Xenoblade character to the roster. Shulk is too iconic as a Xeno rep to be cut plus all the silly memes that spawned from him being in Smash.

Speaking of reworking existing charathers- 

Zelda: I know having finnicky sweetspots make it all the more satisfying when you do land them, but I don't think that the physics of most Smash game's really work with her (consider who can succesfully follow up  if zelda lightning kicks into a shield versus if captain falcon knees). I'm not really sure if she should try to reflect some of the more interesting of Link's items or go magic based, especially since BotW wild zelda doesn't show a strong grasp of magic until the end of the game, unlike OoT and TP zeldas. Whichever path she goes, I hope she becomes a more balanced charather, as all the players who want a heavy duty techinque charather already have plenty of options between peach,greninja,ness etc

Gannondorf: While there is a certain sastifaction in the whole "king of disrespect" thing, it's not like watching captain falcon main's isn't fun anymore either, and he could probbably do better than repeat. I see a lot of support for Zelda 1 / LttP Pig Gannon, but I personally a revamped humanoid ganon would be more interesting. Part of me just doesn't want a heavier charather than Bowser again. 

Paulenta: What I hear the most is that Heaenly Light should be her default special instead of a custom one. With it she's a pretty nice charather, without it, she's hot garbage.

King DDD: I think the Smash4 nerfs to Meta Knight worked out really well, since he was still usuable as an offensive charther, but DDD kind of got screwed over both ways. I  kind of prefer think that a "heavy-medium" like Donkey Kong is a lot better designed than a charather with many ultra risky attacks, but I think he could strike a balance without reverting to the brawl silliness of heavying superheavyweight tilts and smashes, but lightweight combo friendly bairs and so on. 

Jigglypuff: I kind of doubt she's going to get a return of her melee knockback scaling. There are other ways to develop Jigglypuff though. Even though her Specials have always been unique, some of her regular moves, have had kirby-like frame data since the first game (only fully decloning because of changes to kirby rather than herself), and really I think she could maybe have her tilts and aerials remade to reflect the reason she was popular enough to justify as a charather in the first place - namely her famous "marker" from the original pokemon anime. 

Speaking as someone who's not a Xenoblade fan, I don't see Shulk getting cut.

3 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

My thought process was is if it is just a port it will be like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and all they will do is add two or three new characters (Splatoon, the return of Ice Climbers and probably an ARMS character), some alternate costumes for older characters and one or two new modes. Most Wii U ports so far have been lacking in new content if I'm not mistaken and I'm just expecting the same for a Smash 4 port.

I highly doubt they will ever cut Shulk even if they do add new Xenoblade character to the roster. Shulk is too iconic as a Xeno rep to be cut plus all the silly memes that spawned from him being in Smash.

This has been in development for at least two years now. No way it's a straight port with only a little bit of new added content. If it was, we'd probably know that by now. They're teasing it as a new game, so if it is partially a port (which I think it is) it's going to be like Splatoon 2 where enough stuff is changed or added to make it feel like a new game.

Surprised to hear so many people expecting Rex and Pyra over Elma for a Xenoblade addition at launch. Seems like most of the evidence for it is based off of 2018-think and "but Greninja."

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Shulk isn't going anywhere (probably). As i said before, him being in Smash is what really brought Xenoblade into the spotlight. Cutting him would be like cutting Marth.

Oh, I'm not a stranger to suggesting that. Cut Marth. Add him back as a free update like other vets. He and Ike are very dull movesets among the fire emblem reps, and his greatest value in my eyes is the potential for characters alts of Lucina and Roy all in one package. Him being the face of Fire Emblem is like saying the unnamed Warrior of Light is the face of Final Fantasy. Shulk isn't that either, there were plenty of games in his series before they made one with -blade on the end of the title. Link and Mario don't have this issue, they'll always be the hero of their games.

Even though I don't play much of Smash bro I want to see:

• Jack Frost: Shin Megami Tensei. The series was Nintendo exclusive there and there, it even got a game on the virtual boy. Also the 5th game is coming out on the Switch.
  •  A Belmont: Castlevania: With the series being treated poorly by Konami, The Castlevania are some classic platformare on the nes.
  • Advance Wars units: The other Intelligent Systems series needs some love.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What to take from X? Elma and Lin (with Tatsu) trophies for sure, but otherwise I don't know what to take. The music will likely have few tracks ripped from it, even though X has the weakest soundtrack of Xeno games. A stage would be asking for too much, but NLA or Sylvalum or Noctilum would be wonderful. Ideally with some Skells in the background. And if we're in Sylvalum, a giant Xe-dom patrolling the area. Don't worry- they are only aggressive against robots, normal lifeforms they ignore (RIP R.O.B. and Mega Man on this stage).

This is actually my thought process as well. While i do somewhat see Elma being playable, i feel that her chances have been cut down thanks to a certain salvager. So really, all i see is just X trophies and X music. A stage from X, i wouldn't actually rule it out though. I feel like Xenoblade has reached a level of popularity to where it can get two stages, assuming Gaur Plains is returning.

My idea for a new Xenoblade stage would be that it's a traveling stage. I got two versions for this in my mind, one is for X and the other is for 2. The X version is Planet Mira and it's basically a tour around the five continents. You go from NLA to Primordia to Noctilum to Oblivia to Sylvalum to Cauldros and then back to NLA. The Xenoblade 2 version of this stage follows the same idea but you visit the different Titans instead. You go from Argentum to Gormott to Uraya to Mor Ardain to Leftheria to Indol to Tantal and then back to Argentum. Maybe they could have you go to Temperantia as well but it isn't a nation like the other Titans (even though it is a buffer zone between Uraya and Mor Ardain) and honestly, Temperantia's pretty boring, except for it's right side which is basically XC2's Bionis Left Shoulder, except it's easily accessible with a simple bug exploit.

At the very least, i would like to see Leftheria as a stage. The country's geography consists of various jellyfish-like Titans that are connected and some of the smaller Titans float around the bigger ones. Could make a pretty interesting stage and it'd be a good excuse to have the night version of the Leftherian Archipelago theme play because it's fucking beautiful. Plus, if Rex does get into Smash, the stage would be fitting since it's his home country.

3 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Even without knowing that Sakurai was interested in Xenoblade I kind of expected or assumed Xenoblade was going to get more representation in the next Smash game which I honestly do not mind as long as it is not overdone like Kid Icarus representation in Smash 4.

Yeah, i don't think that would happen. Xenoblade is significantly more popular than it was four years ago but i still wouldn't consider it an A-tier Nintendo franchise. It's B-tier at this point.

But hey, i wouldn't mind having 7 Xenoblade reps and turning the game into Super Xenoblade Bros.

26 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Shulk isn't that either, there were plenty of games in his series before they made one with -blade on the end of the title.

Well here's the thing, while Xeno fans consider -gears, -saga, and -blade to be one series, technically, from an ownership standpoint, that isn't the case. -gears is owned by Square Enix and -gears existed before Monolith Soft itself did (Monolith Soft was formed by various members of the Xenogears development team, including series creator Tetsuya Takahashi, after Square Enix shot down the pitch for a second Xenogears game), -saga is owned by Namco and -blade is owned by Nintendo. So technically, Shulk really is the Marth of Xenoblade.

And really, there's no reason to cut Shulk. Not only is he iconic to his own series but he's one of the most unique swordfighters in Smash thanks to his Monado Arts. 

37 minutes ago, a bear said:

Surprised to hear so many people expecting Rex and Pyra over Elma for a Xenoblade addition at launch. Seems like most of the evidence for it is based off of 2018-think and "but Greninja."

Mainly because Rex and Pyra are the most recent protagonists in the series. I'm not completely ruling out Elma but i do feel that she has less of a chance now.

But hey, we could get both and it'd be great since having Shulk, Elma, and Rex represents the three Xenoblade games perfectly.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Man, all this Xenoblade talks got me thinking and i'm a bit concerned about something: they're totally gonna spoil the games again. Smash 4 already spoiled Mecha Fiora and Jade Face's identity. I can totally see Smash 5 spoiling plot-important details in trophies for both Xenoblade X and 2. Or worse, if Rex is in the game, they could have a big spoiler be his Final Smash. Or they could just make him do a Chain Attack like Shulk. I'd prefer that for the sake of avoiding spoilers.

42 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

his greatest value in my eyes is the potential for characters alts of Lucina and Roy all in one package.

Ew, no! Don't degenerate Roy to a color alt, he's a completely different type of character! Lucina, arguments against her can be made, but Roy's completely-opposite-of-how-you'd-expect-a-swordfighter-character-to-function hitbox placement has kept him considerably different from Marth, though it is unfortunately for the worse in his case.

5 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I figured that someone would bring up Greninja at some point, but that comparison doesn't work because Pokémon is Pokémon, it always gets a new character.

Greninja was chosen long before X and Y were released - when Sakurai chose Greninja, I'm fairly sure nobody outside of Nintendo knew it even existed as it most likely hadn't been teased yet. Sakurai made a gamble that people would like a Ninja Frog as opposed to so many of the other Pokemon already out there that would just as easily have transferred over to a fighting game like Smash(Blaziken, Zoroark, Machoke, Hitmon-pick-one, etc.) so I'm not sure how that argument doesn't apply to Xenoblade when it's the exact same situation - there are obviously other options from Xenoblade itself without X or 2 getting involved, like Dunban, who I heard a lot of people talking about during the Ballot and had to go look up because I didn't realize he was the guy in Shulk's Final Smash. Why is it so weird to believe Sakurai might make a gamble on a Xenoblade X/2 character instead of just tossing a moveset for Dunban together when that's literally what he did with making Greninja instead of just choosing Infernape or heck, bringing back Squirtle or Ivysaur?

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mainly because Rex and Pyra are the most recent protagonists in the series. I'm not completely ruling out Elma but i do feel that she has less of a chance now.

I mean sure, Elma's chances are lower in the sense that she has actual competition within her own franchise, but most of the arguments I'm seeing for X2 stuffs are actually pretty weak given previous content decisions.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Man, all this Xenoblade talks got me thinking and i'm a bit concerned about something: they're totally gonna spoil the games again. Smash 4 already spoiled Mecha Fiora and Jade Face's identity. I can totally see Smash 5 spoiling plot-important details in trophies for both Xenoblade X and 2. Or worse, if Rex is in the game, they could have a big spoiler be his Final Smash. Or they could just make him do a Chain Attack like Shulk. I'd prefer that for the sake of avoiding spoilers.

I can think of one BIG spoiler that would be perfectly possible in trophy form for XCX. Although at least it isn't the biggest spoiler. And I, sadly, think they could do a trophy of the final battle area- where all the big spoilers come to reveal themselves- and thus ruin the game for many that way depending on what they put in the description.

27 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Jack Frost: Shin Megami Tensei. The series was Nintendo exclusive there and there, it even got a game on the virtual boy. Also the 5th game is coming out on the Switch.
  •  A Belmont: Castlevania: With the series being treated poorly by Konami, The Castlevania are some classic platformare on the nes.
  • Advance Wars units: The other Intelligent Systems series needs some love.

If they wanted to use Jack Frost, they probably wouldn't use plain old Jack. Black Frost seems to be the "standard" unique Jack Frost, other ones being: Frost Ace, King Frost, Raiho, Demoneehoo, and Lucifroz. Better than any boring and typical silent SMT protag with a sword, gun, and comp (and sometimes magic and without the sword, gun, and comp- like the Demi-Fiend).

I'd like Andy or Sami or Will or anyone AW as well. I played this one horrible Smash knockoff called Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble, and you know how Zelda now summons a Phantom to attack in her Down Special? Well one character has a moveset that is 95% that kind of summoning. Just have Andy or whoever do that. Each attack summons a different AW unit. T Copter for recovery Up Special, Down Special is a Battleship, Infantry is Neutral Special, Recon is side tilt, Medium Tank is side smash etc..

And I actually came up with a Belmont moveset once. Put all the Subweapons in Specials (though the Up can be a superjump) and give them 8-direction whipping with tippers on a bunch of the whip lashes, make them moderately bulky and slow, and I think we have a character.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well here's the thing, while Xeno fans consider -gears, -saga, and -blade to be one series, technically, from an ownership standpoint, that isn't the case. -gears is owned by Square Enix and -gears existed before Monolith Soft itself did (Monolith Soft was formed by various members of the Xenogears development team, including series creator Tetsuya Takahashi, after Square Enix shot down the pitch for a second Xenogears game), -saga is owned by Namco and -blade is owned by Nintendo. So technically, Shulk really is the Marth of Xenoblade.

Namco did help with Smash 4, who knows if they'd be cooperative enough to give KOS-MOS again oh wait, they just were? Square would have to have a knife twisted in its back before it gave Fei (Weltall/Xenogears Final Smash please!), they were very stingy already with Cloud from their best known game of all. They only recently in World of Final Fantasy acknowledged Xenogears for the first time in eons IIRC (and they're also doing a concert for its soundtrack soon apparently).

Diverging from the conversation about new characters for a moment, out of curiosity, what's with everyone's thoughts about it being too soon for a Smash 5? Obviously, I'm not an expert on game designing, etc, but it has been/will be almost four years since the last one assuming they keep their release date of (probably) end of 2018. Given the success of the previous Smash games, its reasonable to believe that they would have at least planned on creating one for the Switch as soon as Nintendo had decided to actually go ahead with designing it. And although Brawl and Smash 4 had longer gaps between their predecessors, they were also announced with their respective new consoles, which might not have yet been in the works when the predecessors came out.

Either way, although I think it'll probably be Smash 5, I'd still be happy with a Switch port of Smash 4. I'm fairly certain they're adding at least Inklings as playable characters, so either way there will probably be some more new characters too. As for who I want (other than everyone), I'm not really sure. I expect all of the veterans to return, probably with updated movesets if they got new games recently. In the interest of both adding new characters and keeping the cast size somewhat reasonable, though, I personally think that clones and some of the more obscure characters need to go. We can just have reskins for Lucina and Dark Pit, they don't need their own slots. Also, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer, seriously? I know that having characters from an indie series or something similar might be similar in obscurity, but at least they could have chosen more interesting or currently relevant ones.

I suppose we have a large number of FE characters already and I don't particularly want any of them actually cut, but I'd still like to see more diversity. I don't expect any non-lords simply because of popularity and stuff, but some other weapons would be nice. I'd love a Hector or Micaiah, and even more a mounted unit or a Manakete, but even the first two are unlikely unfortunately.

Here's what I said in another thread that I thought was the "hub discussion" thread before seeing this one:

I'm hoping the entire roster of Smash 4 returns, it was such a good roster and it would be a shame to cut anyone. I would understand if they had to cut 3rd-party characters, though, but I'd still expect at least Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man to return. Hopefully they'll bring back Wolf and the Ice Climbers. As for new characters, I really hope Lyn is finally added as a playable character, it's about time she got her Super Smash Bros. dues! I'd also like to see another Kid Icarus rep, either Medusa or Magnus, and I'd like to see Dixie Kong and Daisy. If they add another 3rd-party character...I'd like to see Crash Bandicoot. Since they're bringing the Crash N. Sane Trilogy to Switch, I feel like he's got a legitimate shot.

54 minutes ago, alatartheblue42 said:

Diverging from the conversation about new characters for a moment, out of curiosity, what's with everyone's thoughts about it being too soon for a Smash 5? Obviously, I'm not an expert on game designing, etc, but it has been/will be almost four years since the last one assuming they keep their release date of (probably) end of 2018. Given the success of the previous Smash games, its reasonable to believe that they would have at least planned on creating one for the Switch as soon as Nintendo had decided to actually go ahead with designing it. And although Brawl and Smash 4 had longer gaps between their predecessors, they were also announced with their respective new consoles, which might not have yet been in the works when the predecessors came out.

Either way, although I think it'll probably be Smash 5, I'd still be happy with a Switch port of Smash 4. I'm fairly certain they're adding at least Inklings as playable characters, so either way there will probably be some more new characters too. As for who I want (other than everyone), I'm not really sure. I expect all of the veterans to return, probably with updated movesets if they got new games recently. In the interest of both adding new characters and keeping the cast size somewhat reasonable, though, I personally think that clones and some of the more obscure characters need to go. We can just have reskins for Lucina and Dark Pit, they don't need their own slots. Also, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer, seriously? I know that having characters from an indie series or something similar might be similar in obscurity, but at least they could have chosen more interesting or currently relevant ones.

I suppose we have a large number of FE characters already and I don't particularly want any of them actually cut, but I'd still like to see more diversity. I don't expect any non-lords simply because of popularity and stuff, but some other weapons would be nice. I'd love a Hector or Micaiah, and even more a mounted unit or a Manakete, but even the first two are unlikely unfortunately.

I think Smash 5 will be in a weird grey area between "port" and "new game". Kind of like Splatoon 2, there will be re-used assets and mechanics will return alongside new content and improvements on old mechanics. I also somewhat expect a Splatoon model in which the game launches with less content than Smash 4, but regularly adds characters and stages that have been refined since their last appearance in Smash 4. Hopefully free this time. If it were up to me, veteran characters and stages would be free while flashy newcomers and additional characters skins would be the paid DLC. Nobody wants to buy stuff they had in the previous game. However they decide on DLC practices, the splatoon 2 model would be a much easier project to complete in a short development time. 

This vision of Smash Bros. is one of a new game being it's own "platform" rather than a singular entry of an iterative franchise. And so early into the Switch's life is the ideal time to make such a game. Smash 4 had a year and a half of balance updates and content additions. I firmly believe that would have gone on longer had the Wii U been a more successful platform that would at least live out a five year lifespan, or match the Wii's six years. 

Edited by Glennstavos