Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

17 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:
  Hide contents

Could also be his big purple sphere of matter-annihilation (Monado Eater?). Though as far as Artifices go, he's got three potential ones to call upon; Aion, Ophion, or that Siren palette swap he's got in the DLC. Though I should note that he stands no chance of joining because he's legally obligated to call everyone a "little shit", and that's not allowed in SSB.

Spoiler

That's not Monado Eater, i think that's actually his version of reality warping: total annihilation. Monado Eater is the Art that severs Blade Affinity. Regarding Artificies, i think they'd either go with the Black Siren or one of the Gargoyles (the Artifices that attack the Titans in Ch.10, also apparently appears as a boss in the DLC). Aion is the final boss and Ophion is Pyra's Artifice that Malos happens to gain control of, and it looks like it breaks free from his control after Ch.7, so i don't see those two.

If Ultimate is rated T like Melee and Brawl, then Malos would be allowed to call everyone a "little shit".

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say, even if the number of actual newcomers is low, I still have my hopes for a Golden Sun character. A hope crried over since... whenever Brawl was announced.

Whew! This was a great reveal. I'm impressed they brought everyone back though I don't think everyone was necessary (ie Pichu, Young Link, etc.) and I would've liked them to trim the fat a little. But hey.

Really not happy Daisy is there since she's always the most annoying character in spin offs, but Ridley being shown was crazy! 

Ever since the reveal I got the feeling there would be less newcomers, and it sounds like I was right. Besides Ridley, Inklings, and Daisy, I'm guessing Rex/Pyra, Springman, Simon Belmont, Isabelle (Villager echo), Dixie Kong (Diddy echo) and maybe Celica (Robin echo) will be in at launch. Any post launch DLC will probably just be more echo characters with maaaaybe one or two original characters.

Just saw this article on Twitter! Answers some interesting questions, including one about Sakurai's health. He apparently had some wrist issues during Smash Wii U/3DS's development, but is totally fine and in good shape now!

Also explains why Sakurai keeps saying each Smash Bros. is his last game. He just likes to treat each one as if it were the last. So yeah, him saying "this is the last game" definitely doesn't mean it is his last. lol

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Also explains why Sakurai keeps saying each Smash Bros. is his last game. He just likes to treat each one as if it were the last. So yeah, him saying "this is the last game" definitely doesn't mean it is his last. lol

So Sakurai likes to make every game...

Spoiler

his Final Smash?

So. Nintendo's E3 sale.
"Games with Super Smash Bros. characters"
->Echoes
Is that just because it's Fire Emblem, or because you can use amiibo, or...?! Wishful thinking.

Speaking of Echoes... "Echo fighters". I'm too easily amused, sometimes.

For the fourth time, Smash is making me buy a Nintendo console. I had no interest in the Switch until now. I wasn't even too interested in finding out about this new Smash. But after finding out that everyone is back... I won't be disappointed by cuts like Brawl and initial SSB4. \o/

Even if we don't get a lot of newcomers this time, my hope is that they'll eventually explore the idea of a Capcom Vs-esque spinoff, allowing more third party characters with Nintendo history to get a shot in the spotlight. Unless both companies get a roster of 60+, that means they would have to cut some fighters in each crossover, which might be ideal as it allows Nintendo's side to rotate fighters and make each installment stand out more. Plus, they would logically have to cut third parties not belonging to the featured company.

Not sure if this has been asked already, but does anyone think/know if Echo fighters will have their own character slot or will they simply be an alternate costume (like Alph is to Olimar)? Also does anyone know if Alph is still an Olimar costume?

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

Not sure if this has been asked already, but does anyone think/know if Echo fighters will have their own character slot or will they simply be an alternate costume (like Alph is to Olimar)? Also does anyone know if Alph is still an Olimar costume?

Considering that Daisy, Lucina, and Dark Pit have their own slots on the official page, my guess is that yes, they will have their own character slots.

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

Almost certainly still in their own slots. Alph is in one of the screenshots on Olimar's page on the website and in Olimar's video, so he's still an alt.

55 minutes ago, Carter said:

While it's not actual gameplay footage, that segment where he talks about starting with the 64 roster and having to unlock everybody else shows Lucina in her own box separate from Marth. That to me suggests Echo fighters are gonna be their own slots on the CSS.

Speaking of the CSS, I hope this game features an option to customize it and rearrange the character boxes. Smash 4's bothered me with how Yoshi was wedged inside the Mario section despite having his own franchise icon, and how the clones and DLC were shunted off instead of with their respective franchises. I'm sure Ultimate will have its own share of nitpicks with the default arrangement.

37 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

While it's not actual gameplay footage, that segment where he talks about starting with the 64 roster and having to unlock everybody else shows Lucina in her own box separate from Marth. That to me suggests Echo fighters are gonna be their own slots on the CSS.

Speaking of the CSS, I hope this game features an option to customize it and rearrange the character boxes. Smash 4's bothered me with how Yoshi was wedged inside the Mario section despite having his own franchise icon, and how the clones and DLC were shunted off instead of with their respective franchises. I'm sure Ultimate will have its own share of nitpicks with the default arrangement.

Yoshi being part of its own series yet lacking a second character bothers me. Kamek for Smash!

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yoshi being part of its own series yet lacking a second character bothers me. Kamek for Smash!

Kamek is actually my most-wanted now that Ridley is in.

But since Mushroom Kingdom U is back I think it's safe to assume he's still gonna be there.

2 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Kamek is actually my most-wanted now that Ridley is in.

But since Mushroom Kingdom U is back I think it's safe to assume he's still gonna be there.

Alfonzo can take his place!

I just thinking about if one of the Arms characters gets in to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and if one of them gets an Echo Fighter for the Arms Representative. I definitely positive that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl could be added as newcomers, I thought that Springtron would a good Echo Fighter for Spring Man since he's a Robotic Copy of Spring Man.

Edited by King Marth 64

Hey guys, someone pointed out something interesting in this article. Link isn't the only Zelda character based on BotW in this game!

https://nintendoeverything.com/sheiks-design-in-smash-bros-ultimate-based-off-of-the-stealth-armor-set-from-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

I knew something was familiar and yet different here. lol

1 hour ago, Ice Sage said:

gonna be playing the game in a few hours since its in the nintendo store in new york. can't wait to try snake again

Lucky son of a gun.

30 minutes ago, Dai said:

Hopefully, they release a demo before the game is out.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/86653/smash-bros-ultimate-details-easter-eggs-nintendo-switch

Say what you will about Dorkly, but there are a couple of neat details here.

Hope they do a full demo as well but I'm not sure after the Tennis Aces leaks if they'll do one.