Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

57 minutes ago, Dai said:

Hopefully, they release a demo before the game is out.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/86653/smash-bros-ultimate-details-easter-eggs-nintendo-switch

Say what you will about Dorkly, but there are a couple of neat details here.

Yeah, interesting stuff there!

lol about Snake's butt. XD But I can see why it's...different now, he looked like he had a wedgie in Brawl. Seriously. xP

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dai said:

I’m kinda hoping that they expand upon the 3DS classic mode rather than using Wii U’s. The Wii U one was...not fun.

Personally I'm hoping for a return to Melee/Brawl's style of a simple ladder with intermittent minigames. Neither 3DS nor Wii U's were very "classic".

Oh, and no more Master Core, takes way too much time for a simple mode. Save big bosses like that for Adventure Mode.

The amount of little changes every character has to their movesets is mindboogling, and are clearly noticable in just simple footage. 

Ness has a new uair, Ike also does, Sonic's Dash attack has changed, Toon Link & Link's changes which make Young Link stand out all the more, Pikachu gaining some different stuff etc etc, it's hard to pay attention to it all.

So with the possibility of every stage coming back (except for maybe Pyrosphere), will we also see the return of the Stage Builder? If we don't.....i'd be fine with that actually.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So with the possibility of every stage coming back (except for maybe Pyrosphere), will we also see the return of the Stage Builder? If we don't.....i'd be fine with that actually.

I'd only want it back if it was more like Brawls again, 4's was a bit half assed.

alright now that im back home

Spoiler

e630fae3111462b5cd14a678a0d623db.png
e3bc39cd1b23208521af95569447f51f.png
a6341a35b379594979ec95474230e3e0.png

it took a little to adjust to the game since there was input lag on the setup i played, but i love this game already.

the new parry is also amazing. makes me feel like im playing 3rd strike again. being able to punish your opponent, but it also being risky makes it that you better be sure you do it right.
dthrow utilt still works for mario too. 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I'd only want it back if it was more like Brawls again, 4's was a bit half assed.

What could you do in Brawl's that you couldn't do in 4's?

5 minutes ago, Ice Sage said:

it took a little to adjust to the game since there was input lag on the setup i played, but i love this game already.

Nice to know Smash 5 plays well! Was there anything of a wait to play? I know they renovated the layout, how was it.

I've made pilgrimages to the Nintendo Center before, I was even there once or twice when it was the Pokemon Center and I might still have a picture of myself in front a giant Groudon statue. (I never went when Nintendo Power showed a real Pokemon Pinball machine for Ruby and Sapphire was in there I think- I wish I could see it in person just once.) I cherish every visit- I rarely buy anything there though. I'll be in New York tomorrow, but sadly I won't be in that area.

I'm sure we're all anxious to see how hard Bayonetta got hit with the nerf hammer

notaRWZ.png

All of this is isn't final.

Edit: @Jotari Brawl's Stage Builder had preset blocks, which allowed custom stages to be more natural. Smash 4's Stage Builder instead had you draw the stages and that was ass.

Edited by Armagon

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm sure we're all anxious to see how hard Bayonetta got hit with the nerf hammer

RIP Bayonnaise. You like Breta Knight will be missed. 

But who knows? Maybe you'll stay gold, if not Pure Platinum.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Brawl's Stage Builder had preset blocks, which allowed custom stages to be more natural. Smash 4's Stage Builder instead had you draw the stages and that was ass.

Yeah that was annoying, it is almost impossible to make a straight line.

The Stage Builder in both games had real issues, whether Ulti/Smash U chooses to correct them and give us a better mode, who knows?

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Edit: @Jotari Brawl's Stage Builder had preset blocks, which allowed custom stages to be more natural. Smash 4's Stage Builder instead had you draw the stages and that was ass.

Add in the fact that Brawl had more hazards in general, like conveyer belts and I think ladders and such?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Stage Builder in both games had real issues, whether Ulti/Smash U chooses to correct them and give us a better mode, who knows?

Brawl Stage Builder didn't really have much that i would consider a real issue. The main criticism is that some things could only be used if you used a certain background. And the backgrounds themselves weren't really exciting.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

Add in the fact that Brawl had more hazards in general, like conveyer belts and I think ladders and such?

Yeah, Brawl had more hazards in general. It did not have lava blocks though and that's the one thing Smash 4's Stage Builder has over Brawl's: you could create Tech City Central. I love those kinds of stages.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nice to know Smash 5 plays well! Was there anything of a wait to play? I know they renovated the layout, how was it.

I've made pilgrimages to the Nintendo Center before, I was even there once or twice when it was the Pokemon Center and I might still have a picture of myself in front a giant Groudon statue. (I never went when Nintendo Power showed a real Pokemon Pinball machine for Ruby and Sapphire was in there I think- I wish I could see it in person just once.) I cherish every visit- I rarely buy anything there though. I'll be in New York tomorrow, but sadly I won't be in that area.

ah, nope. got to play right away! i love the new layout.picking stage first then character after is how they should do it from now on imo
matches went pretty fast. its too early to say, but like from what anti, zero and others said, 3 stocks sounds fine for ultimate.

there were a lot of zelda's, cloud, ike and snake today. no ridley at all which surprised me.

i felt so much nostalgia when i was in the store.

Spoiler

2d723030141114d8981f64581db7a82b.png

these are so adorable

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

notaRWZ.png

All of this is isn't final.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

RIP Bayonnaise. You like Breta Knight will be missed. 

But who knows? Maybe you'll stay gold, if not Pure Platinum.

Yeah that was annoying, it is almost impossible to make a straight line.

You know there's a straight line tool right? Smash 4 also allowed for walk of stages, which I personally liked as it meant every thing didn't look like it was hanging motionlessly in the air.

I don't know if anyone else brought this up (it is hard to sift through 30 pages), but did anyone notice that when they showed off the ridley and inkling amiibos during the first part of the gameplay presentation there were two extra spots in the display case, this means that we will very likely get at least two more announcements before release and I assume one to two surprises may be possible for post release, not a massive number of new fighters, but still pretty good given the amount of effort given to guaranteeing everyone getting in, what's the possibility of another ballot? I think it may happen, the best way to gauge fan interest in a character would be through a formal poll and I think DLC fighters may be a thing after some time has passed.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

You know there's a straight line tool right? Smash 4 also allowed for walk of stages, which I personally liked as it meant every thing didn't look like it was hanging motionlessly in the air.

There is but that didn't stop Smash 4's Stage Builder from being ass.

the ability to more freely control blast lines would be nice for an ultimate stage builder, I think it would have been more fun with a brawl style builder with fewer restrictions and more hazards, though this is looking to be great, stage builder or no.

16 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

the ability to more freely control blast lines would be nice for an ultimate stage builder, I think it would have been more fun with a brawl style builder with fewer restrictions and more hazards, though this is looking to be great, stage builder or no.

There's really no reason not to take the best bits from both stage builders.

Also totally jealous of the person who got to play the game already. I'm living in Japan and they have it available to play at events, but it seems like none of them fall on my day off. Raging.

Speaking of Stages, it seems some stages will have a third form or varietion alongside Omega and Battlefield forms. It seems the when you chose to toggle off harzards, it changes the layout of some stages. For example, it seems that toggling off Great Plateau Tower’s hazard completely removes the tower top and replaces it with a single platform.