Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

32 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't really care for Rillaboom, personally. Wooloo is kinda cute tho.

So, I'm hearing now that Sakurai is getting harrassed/threatened again, this time over Byleth. Please tell me this is not true. Because...just...what the ****. If this is the case, what in the flying **** is wrong with people?! Didn't anyone learn from the Waluigi fiasco?

I hope I'm not starting anything bad here...

25 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Agreed. Threatening people over fiction is beyond ridiculous.

Spoiled brats--the lot of them. P.S. Waluigi for Smash from a complete moderate.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster
P.S. Waluigi for Smash from a complete moderate.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So, I'm hearing now that Sakurai is getting harrassed/threatened again, this time over Byleth. Please tell me this is not true. Because...just...what the fuck. If this is the case, what in the flying fuck is wrong with people?! Didn't anyone learn from the Waluigi fiasco?

Where'd you hear this from? This hasn't been something I've heard about, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is a thing. This is the same fanbase that will actively can friendships over stuff like this.

Edited by Roland

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

Where'd you hear this from? This hasn't been something I've heard about, though I wouldn't be surprised if it is a thing. This is the same fanbase that will actively can friendships over stuff like this.

A friend. So I can't really confirm that it's the truth. I'm not saying she's lying though, she doesn't just lie me. She could just be mistaken, which I hope she is.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

A friend. So I can't really confirm that it's the truth. I'm not saying she's lying though, she doesn't just lie me. She could just be mistaken, which I hope she is.

Well neither I or any of my other Smash fans have heard about something like this, so I think she might be mistaken. 

However, like I said I would not be surprised at all if this was true. Unfortunately, such a thing is not outside the realm of possibility for a community like Smash's. 

21 hours ago, Perkilator said:

On SmashBoards, I saw a post about a leaker on Twitter who might be right about something:

Reveal hidden contents

They predicted that Byleth would be the one to end off the first Fighter’s Pass, and that Crash Bandicoot would be the first character in Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2

Here’s the link to the original post on SmashBoards. Click on the link in THAT post, and you’ll see what I mean.

Oh gosh if that really does end up being the first character for Fighter Pass 2, I'm gonna go insane from pure joy. That is literally the ONLY character I think I want more than Lyn.

Also, I don't see a link?

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I don't really care for Rillaboom, personally. Wooloo is kinda cute tho.

So, I'm hearing now that Sakurai is getting harrassed/threatened again, this time over Byleth. Please tell me this is not true. Because...just...what the fuck. If this is the case, what in the flying fuck is wrong with people?! Didn't anyone learn from the Waluigi fiasco?

Seriously?! Complaints/criticisms about Byleth I would understand; I myself have a few criticisms (Byleth should've been in the background like Pokémon Trainer with Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude doing the actual fighting), but harassment and threats is just low. 

To answer your question, the only people who would've had reason to learn from the Waluigi fiasco were the specific subgroup of Waluigi fans that had taken part... so, no. Probably no one learned. 

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

(Byleth should've been in the background like Pokémon Trainer with Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude doing the actual fighting)

I disagree with this. I don't think it makes sense. Byleth can fight, so why shouldn't they be the one fighting? They never command all three lords except in the prologue anyway. Though if we're going to converse about Byleth, we should take it to the Byleth thread.

Harassment and threats are totally low though, yes.

Edited by Anacybele

30 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Oh gosh if that really does end up being the first character for Fighter Pass 2, I'm gonna go insane from pure joy. That is literally the ONLY character I think I want more than Lyn.

Also, I don't see a link?

Sorry, fixed it!

9 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I disagree with this. I don't think it makes sense. Byleth can fight, so why shouldn't they be the one fighting? They never command all three lords except in the prologue anyway. Though if we're going to converse about Byleth, we should take it to the Byleth thread.

Sure, we can take this to the Byleth thread. 

My opinon is if people are going to complain about Byleth, then they shouldn't get anything. It's not like they have to add these characters, they want to. Maybe people don't understand that this is a privilege, and it can easily be taken away. It doesn't hurt my experience to hear people complain about it, I don't agree with it, but i'm not going to let it upset me, either.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

My opinon is if people are going to complain about Byleth, then they shouldn't get anything. It's not like they have to add these characters, they want to. Maybe people don't understand that this is a privilege, and it can easily be taken away. It doesn't hurt my experience to hear people complain about it, I don't agree with it, but i'm not going to let it upset me, either.

Not like they're even forced to buy it.

Just now, Jotari said:

This is true as well, i'm more than happy that we got this much. I honestly thought that Byleth's moveset was pretty awesome myself, so i'm not sure I understand why people are upset.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

This is true as well, i'm more than happy that we got this much. I honestly thought that Byleth's moveset was pretty awesome myself, so i'm not sure I understand why people are upset.

Well, to be fair, just because they don't have to buy it doesn't mean that their criticism isn't fair. Just as much as people are allowed to be happy if they like it, they are free to be disappointed if they don't like it. How they deal with that disappointment, however, is another story. 

For instance, I am a bit disappointed because I was hoping for something like Three Houses Trainer rather than Byleth stealing the other House Leaders' relics to fill in his moveset, as I thought that would be more interesting and a better representation of Three Houses. I expressed my disappointment peacefully, I stated my reasons why, and that's fair. I am just as free to criticize it as people are to celebrate it, just as it would be the same if things were reversed. 

18 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Well, to be fair, just because they don't have to buy it doesn't mean that their criticism isn't fair. Just as much as people are allowed to be happy if they like it, they are free to be disappointed if they don't like it. How they deal with that disappointment, however, is another story. 

For instance, I am a bit disappointed because I was hoping for something like Three Houses Trainer rather than Byleth stealing the other House Leaders' relics to fill in his moveset, as I thought that would be more interesting and a better representation of Three Houses. I expressed my disappointment peacefully, I stated my reasons why, and that's fair. I am just as free to criticize it as people are to celebrate it, just as it would be the same if things were reversed. 

There's a difference between having an opinion and critising something on the basis of "I don't like this, there for it is bad and the people who do like it should be ashamed."

The "they don't have to buy it" argument doesn't hold water when you're talking about a season pass. They already bought it, without knowing what "it" is. It's makes zero financial sense to put money down on some mystery surprise later, but everybody loves knowing they got a good deal. Even Sakurai feels a need to warn people about the manipulative nature of the season pass both times he announced one. That doesn't excuse the act of releasing content that way, though.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

The "they don't have to buy it" argument doesn't hold water when you're talking about a season pass. They already bought it, without knowing what "it" is. It's makes zero financial sense to put money down on some mystery surprise later, but everybody loves knowing they got a good deal. Even Sakurai feels a need to warn people about the manipulative nature of the season pass both times he announced one. That doesn't excuse the act of releasing content that way, though.

Well, the characters are also up for sale individually. They didn't have to buy them in one package.

At any rate, the entire argument holds no water. While one also maintains the right to complain, Nintendo did not rip them off and did provide the content outlined in their plans at the beginning. 

Every character is going to have fans and detractors. Would Nintendo be in the wrong or would I be entitled to a refund if one of Fighter Pass 2's characters is Dixie Kong or Minecraft Steve and I reallllly don't like them? Would I be justified in sending hate mail or death threats to anyone involved or otherwise acting like a petulant brat? I think not.

The only real "mistake" Nintendo made in this regard was in not revealing all 5 characters at the time of the fighter pass reveal, given that all were pre-planned. But that opens up a different can of worms. What if one of the characters is canceled? What if the release order puts a planned FP1 character in FP2? These things would actually open them up to legal action.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There's a difference between having an opinion and critising something on the basis of "I don't like this, there for it is bad and the people who do like it should be ashamed."

That's not what you and lightcosmo said though; your statements clearly referred to complaining in general; not complaining to the degree of, "anyone who does like it should be ashamed" or complaining that Nintendo ripped them off somehow.

By the way, the amount of times I've seen people have to clarify, "I am not out to take away anyone's enjoyment, nor am I saying that anyone who does like it should be ashamed" about any given piece of media because they naturally get lumped in with those who are saying that people who do like it should be ashamed, is truly astounding. The amount of times I've seen people with a valid criticism get dismissed as just out to hate something when there isn't one bit of hate in any of what they're saying is astounding. 

It's at times like these that we should all remember that the people willing to say stuff like that or send hate mail or death threats may seem large in number because of how loud they are due to the internet being what it is, but they are really just a small minority of fans. By far the most numerous are the more... peaceful fans such as us; those who simply like or dislike it, and we shouldn't give the haters the huge amount of attention that they're seeking because it makes them seem bigger than they are, nor should those who just have honest criticism be lumped in with those sending hate mail or death threats. Instead, lets just celebrate the reveal of the fifth fighter and the six more DLC fighters, while we casually and peacefully discuss what we like/dislike about it. 

This message is brought to you by a peaceful Smash Bros. fan. 🥁

(I'm not used to using emojis; drum means the drum-beat at the end of jokes/funny moments; correct?)

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well, the characters are also up for sale individually. They didn't have to buy them in one package.

I feel like 80% of my previous post was ignored, but I'll ask this: When the season pass was announced, did you even once entertain the notion of buying characters individually?

The only real "mistake" Nintendo made in this regard was in not revealing all 5 characters at the time of the fighter pass reveal, given that all were pre-planned.

Bingo!

But that opens up a different can of worms. What if one of the characters is canceled? What if the release order puts a planned FP1 character in FP2? These things would actually open them up to legal action.

I don't see any scenario in which a character gets canceled. Sakurai wouldn't say yes to putting something in the game if he wasn't sure he could deliver. That's not a complement to his character, it's the reality of being a project director. Even if his company spontaneously went bankrupt, he's still under contract to deliver. Having to work under conditions in which you can no longer pay yourself is the ultimate risk you run. But if a character absolutely had to be canceled, the solution is easy. Partial refunds to people who bought the pass, and the pass' existing price gets reduced by the same amount. It is that easy.

There's nothing illegal about cancelling promised content. Just look at Mass Effect Andromeda, and Bioware's following game, Anthem. Those roadmaps got cancelled just because EA decided they didn't want to sink another dollar into critical flops. Those examples aren't season passes, probably because Bioware knew they couldn't justify such promises with the threat of cancellation hanging over them, but for how unfair it was to cancel the roadmaps, it was totally legal. People bought the 60 dollar games with the knowledge it would get more content down the road, so I find the scenarios similar enough. EA knows they'll get more money from early access games that way, Nintendo knows they get more buyers from the season pass model. It is just business.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

That's not what you and lightcosmo said though; your statements clearly referred to complaining in general; not complaining to the degree of, "anyone who does like it should be ashamed" or complaining that Nintendo ripped them off somehow.

By the way, the amount of times I've seen people have to clarify, "I am not out to take away anyone's enjoyment, nor am I saying that anyone who does like it should be ashamed" about any given piece of media because they naturally get lumped in with those who are saying that people who do like it should be ashamed, is truly astounding. The amount of times I've seen people with a valid criticism get dismissed as just out to hate something when there isn't one bit of hate in any of what they're saying is astounding. 

It's at times like these that we should all remember that the people willing to say stuff like that or send hate mail or death threats may seem large in number because of how loud they are due to the internet being what it is, but they are really just a small minority of fans. By far the most numerous are the more... peaceful fans such as us; those who simply like or dislike it, and we shouldn't give the haters the huge amount of attention that they're seeking because it makes them seem bigger than they are, nor should those who just have honest criticism be lumped in with those sending hate mail or death threats. Instead, lets just celebrate the reveal of the fifth fighter and the six more DLC fighters, while we casually and peacefully discuss what we like/dislike about it. 

I was actually referring to the people that probably Express their opinions when it's better off not being said. Like, when it's really rude or something, it's best not said at all.

I was actually referring to the people that probably Express their opinions when it's better off not being said. Like, when it's really rude or something, it's best not said at all.

Okay. Maybe there was a context that I missed, or it was simply misworded. This didn't seem like it was just talking about people being rude:

My opinon is if people are going to complain about Byleth, then they shouldn't get anything.

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Okay. Maybe there was a context that I missed, or it was simply misworded. This didn't seem like it was just talking about people being rude:

Yeah, it was poorly worded, but I meant people with really negative attitude towards it that it affects others, etc. That's just not fun for anyone, I dont think.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

So, bad news for a certain popularly speculated character:

Reveal hidden contents

The Doom developers are openly talking about having had talks with Nintendo about Smash and are shooting down rumors. 

Pretty sure they couldn't do that if any kind of NDA was in place.

Spoiler

Doom Slayer Mii costume, then? Possibly?