Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I think it's possible they might announce who the character is going to be, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of gameplay. I imagine the pandemic will make the development cycle for fighter's pass two much slower than the first one. However, I am definitely open to being surprised if they can get challenger pack seven into our hands sooner than I expect.

I definitely think they'll might put up a reveal trailer without any Game Play footage similar to like Sakurai did with Joker's and Terry's first reveal trailer. That way it makes them to have enough time to get the entire Challenger Pack 7 content work properly until they complete it during at the Pandemic incase if the rumored Nintendo Direct coming this month turns out to be true.

Edited by King Marth 64

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

We've only two days left to see if the rumored Direct happens. Assuming it does, do you think we'll get CP7 there? If so, do you think there'll be gameplay or not?

I think CP7 could be there, but I doubt we’ll see gameplay. If anything, I think we’ll get a Joker Game Awards type of trailer. 

22 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Tomorrow’s the supposed deadline and Nintendo still said nothing so far.

Mini’s looking likely at this rate.

We’re either getting nothing or a mini. Ugh, I hate shadowdrop directs... 😕 I’m hoping for Smash... 

edit: Direct today at 7pm PT

Edited by Bk1234

14 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Next official tournament's been announced.

Strange, I was expecting an Origami King Spirit Event this week. Maybe next week?

Or maybe they’re saving it for a Paper Mario fighter? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

So, uh...

They just shadow dropped a Small Battlefield. Update Ultimate to the latest version, and you'll see it.

You can use any music in the whole game for the Battlefield and FD stages (not the forms for all the other stages).

Haven't posted here in a while. Mostly lost interest in Smash since not a single newcomer has been someone I was really wanting.

Funny to see that people here seemed to be expecting Spring Man as the Arms rep. I was absolutely expecting Min Min, and elsewhere it seemed like people were expecting her, too. Twintelle was who I would have wanted most from Arms, but Min Min was second. She's also the most exciting newcomer for me, and I haven't played Arms. But I've always wanted someone who's not the protagonist/mascot of a series to be the first rep in Smash.

It's hard for me to even look at the Smash roster anymore with three male-default Fire Emblem avatars. I know that might seem strange to some, but it's important to me and it just really saddens me. I think I could still come back to the game if 2B and/or Dixie Kong were to be added, but I have little hope for either, and I also don't expect any kind of unexpected surprise that would please me.

45 minutes ago, Florete said:

It's hard for me to even look at the Smash roster anymore with three male-default Fire Emblem avatars. I know that might seem strange to some, but it's important to me and it just really saddens me. I think I could still come back to the game if 2B and/or Dixie Kong were to be added, but I have little hope for either, and I also don't expect any kind of unexpected surprise that would please me.

I don't think that sounds strange at all! And i'm sorry to hear you don't have much interest in Smash anymore.

Also, you don't like M Robin/Corrin/Byleth at all? Just curious, not trying to jab or anything here.

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, you don't like M Robin/Corrin/Byleth at all? Just curious, not trying to jab or anything here.

While I do strongly dislike M Corrin, that's not it. I play female both in the games they come from and in Smash and it's discouraging to constantly see the male pushed as the "main" one.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

While I do strongly dislike M Corrin, that's not it. I play female both in the games they come from and in Smash and it's discouraging to constantly see the male pushed as the "main" one.

I guess I can see where your coming from. It would be nice if they let you choose which was the default, in anything. Really sorry you feel that way, it's not fun for anyone.

42 minutes ago, Florete said:

I completely agree with you. They had a perfect opportunity to make Byleth female default, but they willingly chose not to.

I feel Male Robin is the best choice for default for him/her. Robin has kind of been represented as male in almost everything since Awakening. Amibos, Warriors, ECT.

Female Corrin should be the default for her as its much the same, and she's just better. 

I'd say Female Byleth would make the most sense as she seems to be the most popular pick amongst players, and will probably be represented as such in future spinoff titles.

10 hours ago, Jave said:

I completely agree with you. They had a perfect opportunity to make Byleth female default, but they willingly chose not to.

Yeah, I also agree. Oh well, missed opportunity. 

Maybe they have a reason?

17 minutes ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

I feel Male Robin is the best choice for default for him/her. Robin has kind of been represented as male in almost everything since Awakening. Amibos, Warriors, ECT.

The amiibo and Warriors appearances (and amiibo-based appearances) are directly based on Smash itself, so those aren't really separate reasons. Not that I mind Robin being male default, or at least I wouldn't if even just one of Corrin or Byleth were female-default, since Robin is the one that makes the most sense to be male-default.

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Maybe they have a reason?

Marketing and presumed male players. Nothing more.

18 minutes ago, Florete said:

Marketing and presumed male players. Nothing more.

What kind of business person would believe that the general of male players wouldn't want to play as the female variant? That's obvious, unless they really are oblivious.

That's how it's always been. If they really feel that way, then that's sad. They really could compromise and make selecting who's main an option, but I suppose that's not an option for them.

17 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

They really could compromise and make selecting who's main an option, but I suppose that's not an option for them.

Smash ultimate already allows for adjusting the stage select to display echo fighters differently, so there's precedent. I've been wanting more customization of the stage select since launch, but selecting defaults skins for characters is a no brainer addition for sure. In fact that was a feature in Smash 3DS, since the developers presumed only one person would play the game on that particular 3DS. Saving preferred skins automatically was very convenient. 

But really what I want more than anything is just new sorting options for the character select. It's only getting bigger, and even though I am one of those weirdos with a mental timeline of character reveals, it's an arbitrary system. Sorting by series would be far better. When you want to know where greninja is hanging out, just find wherever the pokemon are clumped up. Heck, even sorting by alphabetical names would be preferable. The character select would still look woefully disorganized but at least now you can look up the character you're looking for. The stage select could use some sorting options too. Plus a "Favorites" tab. Seeing them add some small features like they did the other day gives me hope that we'll see more adjustments in the future.

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Smash ultimate already allows for adjusting the stage select to display echo fighters differently, so there's precedent. I've been wanting more customization of the stage select since launch, but selecting defaults skins for characters is a no brainer addition for sure. In fact that was a feature in Smash 3DS, since the developers presumed only one person would play the game on that particular 3DS. Saving preferred skins automatically was very convenient. 

But really what I want more than anything is just new sorting options for the character select. It's only getting bigger, and even though I am one of those weirdos with a mental timeline of character reveals, it's an arbitrary system. Sorting by series would be far better. When you want to know where greninja is hanging out, just find wherever the pokemon are clumped up. Heck, even sorting by alphabetical names would be preferable. The character select would still look woefully disorganized but at least now you can look up the character you're looking for. The stage select could use some sorting options too. Plus a "Favorites" tab. Seeing them add some small features like they did the other day gives me hope that we'll see more adjustments in the future.

All very good ideas, too bad they wont ever implement them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like for Paper Mario to be added...provided they use material from the first two games. I mean, it's only reasonable to expect his moveset now would pull from all six games in his series, plus possibly Paper Jam, which I'm fine with as long as they don't ignore the first two games. But when it comes to Specials, I'd strongly prefer using material from PM1 and 2. Partners are one of the elements longtime fans associate with the series, so I think players would expect to see at least one or two. Most likely Paper Mario's Final Smash would end up being a Thing instead of, say, Star Beam or Supernova, which I would hate.

At any rate, no, the OK Spirit Event does not deconfirm Paper Mario any more than ARMS Spirits deconfirmed Min Min. It's still perfectly possible for Paper Mario to be added to the game, even with him already being represented as a Spirit. Again, see Min Min. The question is...how many people actually want to add him at this point, given how polarizing his series has become? I don't think one modern Nintendo franchise attracts more hate proportionate to its popularity than Paper Mario. I suppose Fire Emblem comes close, but the thing with Fire Emblem is, even games as experimental as Three Houses have still stuck to the roots of the franchise, whereas either Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star debased the Paper Mario franchise by stripping away key elements like partners, badges, and a more developed world with diverse NPCs.

Fire Emblem also doesn't have a shadow of borderline hate from Nintendo itself looming over it, whereas Paper Mario for some reason has lately been subject to this baffling anti-creativity dictate responsible for stripping away so much of what fans loved about the series in the first place. It's like someone at Nintendo hates the old Paper Mario games and their fans, and wants to distance the new games as much as possible from their predecessors, out of what feels like spite. And fans like me cannot help but to ask "Why?" Why stamp all over a beloved franchise when doing so has only hurt it critically and commercially? The more modern Paper Mario games have been catching a lot of flak for sluggish, pointless battle systems and the lack of interesting characters or story elements compared to the first three games, which has been reflected in their sales performance*, so little by little Nintendo is being forced to bring the series back to what it was. It's just baffling that the Paper Mario issue is an issue at all.

*To put the numbers in perspective:

Spoiler

Paper Mario sold more than 276,000 copies in Japan on its first week, making it the top-selling game in Japan that week. PM1 was also the top-selling game for two weeks in other regions, the same year when the Gamecube would later hit the market. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door sold 159,000 units in its first week in Japan, and was likewise the top selling game that week for that region. TTYD went on to sell 409,000 units in Japan, and 1,230,000 copies in North America. Super Paper Mario  sold well despite the controversy surrounding its radical change in gameplay at the time, opening at 144,000 copies in Japan and 352,000 in the US. SPM went on to sell 2,280,000 copies worldwide, 500,000 of which were in Japan and 1,780,000 overseas. According to Kotaku, SPM has sold over 4,230,000 copies worldwide, making it the best-selling entry in the series.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star sold 402,000 copies in Japan, 1,970,000 total worldwide. A noticeable drop compared to TTYD and SPM, but still high enough that the game could be considered a financial success. Paper Mario: Color Splash sold 20,894 copies in its opening week in Japan, and went on to sell a total of 37,093 copies by the next month. That's right, Color Splash didn't even break 40k in its home country, in a series that has in the past broken 400k. Color Splash didn't even reach a tenth of the sales TTYD did two console generations ago. Even for a game on the Wii U, especially a Mario game, that is pitiful. Paper Mario: The Origami King did fare better, at 109,092 copies in Japan on its opening week, making it the second-best selling game during that week. NPD claims TOK set a new launch month sales record for a Paper Mario title, with physical launch month dollar sales more than doubling those of TTYD, but I'm not seeing concrete sales numbers, so I'm doubtful about the truth of that claim.

The fact is, Color Splash performed poorly compared to the rest of the series, and Sticker Star is undoubtedly part of why. A lot of people bought Sticker Star and hated it or at least didn't like it enough that they skipped Color Splash, seeing it as more of the same. Being released on one of Nintendo's worst-selling consoles in history didn't help its case. Then Origami King is announced for the vastly more popular and successful Switch, showing what looks like promising changes from SS and CS and steps back towards where it's supposed to be, and miraculously it sells a lot better, supposedly better than TTYD (again, I need specific, verifiable sales numbers before I'll buy that claim).

This all said, I don't know if Paper Mario is exactly at the top of many people's Smash newcomer lists right now. If he is, chances are it's the newer Paper Mario games people have in mind, and in that case, no thank you. If they put Paper Mario in Smash, I want the classic Paper Mario, the good Paper Mario. Or at least a compromise between the two.

Edited by Lord_Brand

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I want the classic Paper Mario, the good Paper Mario. Or at least a compromise between the two.

This 100%

Paper Mario and TTYD were so amazing, and they have much more creative options to go with as well. And I've always wanted Mario to use a hammer in Smash, and this would be a great opportunity to do just that!