Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crash and Shantae still have a chance, so I'm hoping for them. Spyro and Krystal would be great too, but I know their chances aren't as good as the bandicoot and the belly dancer. At the very least, I want the mutant marsupial and the half-genie hero. Give me those two, and I'll be content until SSB6.

So, will Minecraft Kirby turn into a pink block with prisms for hands and feet?

Edited by Lord_Brand

Not gonna lie, I don't know what to feel about this...

I mean, Endermen aren't supposed to be THAT short, right? I don't play Minecraft, but even I know that endermen aren't that short.

...what, Steve? I dunno, that's a neat thing I guess, I dunno about inevitable but I was always worried about what it would mean for the music. Better the generic Minecraft face than one of those characters from Minecraft stories I just know I'm not gonna give two craps about.

Edited by Xenomata

This is the goofy-est announcement I've ever seen.
Looks like they just rip the model straight from the game. Honestly this guy might be pretty fun the play but regardless the reactions to this event were priceless.
Funniest reveal I've been blessed to witness.

I wish the trailer came on the same day as the presentation, because my friend and I have many questions about this guy in motion. The idea of Steve in Smash always sounded lame because there's a distinct lack of animation and sound that would pertain to him. If they look good in Smash, you can sell us on anything. Maybe they felt setting a presentation on the same day as Minecraft Live would give away the surprise? I mean, it's also the same week a new crash and Kirby game come out. And a ton of Tokyo Game Show related announcements. If anybody correctly guessed minecraft after seeing that date, I'd be impressed at the detective work. I had never heard of Minecraft Live before today. Have you?

Anyway, I'm bitter because we made a pact: if the new character is nintendo, he would main him. If it's a guest I have to main him. So I guess I'm stuck with Roblox. I can endure the embarrassment. I play a lot of guys that don't belong in Smash. Like Diddy Kong. That little dork.

Edited by Glennstavos

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

But hey, now I can tell myself that it can only get better from here. This pass still has 4 more chances.

That’s true. I personally was really happy with Min Min’s inclusion, so maybe it’s just the even numbers (CP 6,8,10) that will appeal to me! 😅

39 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

That’s true. I personally was really happy with Min Min’s inclusion, so maybe it’s just the even numbers (CP 6,8,10) that will appeal to me! 😅

I'm not mad about Min Min in retrospect. Very much feels like the Byleth or Terry of the pass. Okay, but not amazing (though I must admit to liking Byleth and Terry more).

FP1 immediately hooked me with the protagonist of one of my favorite games, and just kept the hits coming. FP2 is just missing that one character that wows me (which will probably happen when the obligatory JRPG character comes in).

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Damn it, Sakurai. Just......damn it. I am simply smash-dashed.

While I do like world builders, I have zero interest in Minecraft. Always have, always will. And over the years, I'd find youtube comments telling the relevant LP'er I'm watching to play Minecraft, which gets really annoying really fast, and I began to develop a bit of a hatred for the game. Just the game. Let the kids mine and craft to their hearts' content for all I'm concerned.

As for me, guess I'll be waiting for the next fighter. I'm set to buy Fighter's Pass 2 anytime I want, just won't be as soon as I'd hoped.

All the millions of ecstatic kids on the internet are never gonna let us hear the end of this... 😩

Sakurai did not seem excited for Steve at ALL in his little presentation after the trailer. It definitely felt like a "Nintendo made me" kind of thing...almost like an apology? I dunno. I'm not into Minecraft so I couldn't care less about Steve. Still hoping for Crash Bandicoot.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Sakurai did not seem excited for Steve at ALL in his little presentation after the trailer. It definitely felt like a "Nintendo made me" kind of thing...almost like an apology? I dunno. I'm not into Minecraft so I couldn't care less about Steve. Still hoping for Crash Bandicoot.

I disagree. I think he was just playing along with fact that pretty much no one expected Steve to join Smash. 

• Lightchao42 changed the title to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: That'sssss a nice roster you have there
57 minutes ago, Florete said:

>No female Byleth amiibo.

Just another reason why always getting male default sucks.

I'm pretty sure it's probably got to do with scheduling issues going with COVID-19 in Japan since we didn't have any alts for amiibo series for School Joker, Arusu, Solo, and Eight as well. I think Sakurai did said they're not planning to do amiibo of alts (that includes Female Byleth) during at Min Min's Smash Bros. Direct.

1 minute ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm pretty sure it's probably got to do with scheduling issues going with COVID-19 in Japan since we didn't have any alts for amiibo series for School Joker, Arusu, Solo, and Eight as well. I think Sakurai did said they're not planning to do amiibo of alts (that includes Female Byleth) during at Min Min's Smash Bros. Direct.

The point is that if Byleth was female default we'd be getting a female Byleth amiibo. As it is we lack amiibos for female Robin, Villager, Pokemon Trainer, and Byleth. The only male alt we lack an amiibo for is Wii Fit Trainer, who no one really cares about, because Inkling Boy does have an amiibo (just not a Smash one) and Corrin just got lucky.

I'm willing to bet a female Byleth amiibo would outsell male as well.

Getting these female amiibos wouldn't fix all my problems with all these characters always being male default but it would certainly soften the blow.

Wow ten years later and Sakurai is the one to teach me how to play Minecraft. I feel like I say this about every character, but Steve seems too safe offstage. Being able to make blocks out of junk material lets him stall for as long as necessary. And if it were up to me you could not drop blocks anywhere so close to the ledge. Or really anywhere below sea level (below the ledge). Hopefully you can't just physically block everybody's path to the stage so freely. Hitbox-less recoveries like Pit and Duck Hunt really seem in trouble here since they have no hope of breaking through. His Up B controls like gliding from Brawl without the ability to cancel it, but I think the hitbox coming with you so far is a bit overkill. I hope it's easy to beat while edgeguarding. Dude's got so many options to get back that his low jump height feels like it's not a real hindrance.

The Travis Mii outfit I'm very okay with. In the face of Minecraft getting in Smash, I can see why Travis wasn't seriously considered. And I'm anticipating the next smash will be all about the niche and indie characters. I really wish he came with the no more heroes theme though. 

Edit: Also I'm concerned people will complain about "the lack of Minecraft music" while completely missing/ignoring Sakurai's explanation. They didn't just ask for what already exists. They had to make almost all of the music we'll see in Smash, and those remixes take serious effort. Compare instead to the Dragon Quest music where they didn't seem allowed to remix anything despite the small selection.

Edited by Glennstavos