Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full discourage. I don't like Sephiroth. He's always just so aggressively boring. I know he wasn't like that in the original but in every game after that he's always been a boring, one note character who only ever gets out of bed each morning to mess with Cloud. Sadly the remake chose to go with that interpretation rather than the Sephiroth of the original game. 

But I quite like Sephiroth in Smash. He's got the status to deserve it, he's got plenty of moveset potential and the trailer was really cool. He's certainly an interesting pick to say the least. 

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The first pass was perfection, and this was the first good addition of this pass. 

I pretty much agree. Definitely my favorite FP2 character based off of the initial trailer. 

Edited by Bk1234

After a trailer like that, I can't not be on the hype for the guy. But did he need a counter, Sakurai?

And how do you get Nintendo's okay to almost murder Mario in your trailer? They held for several seconds before the fake out, and I just know Sakurai fought for each of those seconds.

Sephiroth's a pretty cool inclusion, and I'm excited for him. He's also releasing later this month, so we'll likely get his Sakurai presentation soon.

Hopefully we'll finally get Final Fantasy spirits after all this time, and music too. We might get only One Winged Angel for music, but it is One Winged Angel so it could be worse.

Final Fantasy does not need two representatives, and not from the same game, the game which is noted for being Square's departure from Nintendo. If we had to get another third-party JRPG character, someone from Tales would be new and better. And were we to get a second representative for a third party already in Smash, I dislike the Wisconsin level of cheesiness of Sonic, but I think I'd have preferred Tails or Shadow or Knuckles over Sephiroth.

I don't have Smash Ultimate, I don't know who I'd actually want for DLC, and although I understand why most characters got picked, Se-phir-roth! is another reason for me to not feel anything towards it. 

Please note, I have nothing against FF, FFVII, or Sephiroth. I played the original game, I don't love him, I don't hate him.

54 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Full discourage. I don't like Sephiroth. He's always just so aggressively boring. I know he wasn't like that in the original but in every game after that he's always been a boring, one note character who only ever gets out of bed each morning to mess with Cloud. Sadly the remake chose to go with that interpretation rather than the Sephiroth of the original game. 

So, the same as Cloud? The original is the only good one and that sucks because the original game has aged like organic bread in a rainforest?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Ehhhh. I have nothing against Sephiroth as a character or a fighter. I just wish if they were going to add another Final Fantasy rep they'd branch out from Final Fantasy VII a bit. It is an incredibly successful franchise with dozens of well received titles. There's no express need to stick to that one game (well other than Square Enix probably wants to sell copies of their FF7 remake).

Good pick, I guess. I have only played through FF7 once and didn't even finish it, so I have little attachment to the game. I would have definitely preferred a non-FF7 character for another FF rep, though (I really, REALLY wanted Terra). Oh well. I'm sure he'll be fun to play as.

Also, safe to say Sora and Geno are out of the run. I think it's (extremely) unlikely a third party will get two characters in the same pass. In fact, I'm fully expecting Geno to be among the Mii Costumes released alongside Sephiroth.

59 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

But I quite like Sephiroth in Smash. He's got the status to deserve it, he's got plenty of moveset potential and the trailer was really cool. He's certainly an interesting pick to say the least. 

Funnily enough I think we could safely say this isn't even a video game rep, it's a movie character, as they're clearly drawing way more from his Advent Children appearance than his in game appearance. Well at least in how they framed him in the trailer. It seems his moveset is a nice mix of everything. I'm curious to see how they're implementing Safer Sephiraoth, as that's a form that's surprisingly underutilized in Final Fantasy media.

5 minutes ago, Jave said:

Good pick, I guess. I have only played through FF7 once and didn't even finish it, so I have little attachment to the game. I would have definitely preferred a non-FF7 character for another FF rep, though (I really, REALLY wanted Terra). Oh well. I'm sure he'll be fun to play as.

Also, safe to say Sora and Geno are out of the run. I think it's (extremely) unlikely a third party will get two characters in the same pass. In fact, I'm fully expecting Geno to be among the Mii Costumes released alongside Sephiroth.

Everyone talking about Geno, am I the only one mourning how this means no Crono 😞

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm curious to see how they're implementing Safer Sephiraoth, as that's a form that's surprisingly underutilized in Final Fantasy media.

Final Smash would be the safest bet.

Just now, Jotari said:

Everyone talking about Geno, am I the only one mourning how this means no Crono 😞

No... you're not...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I just wish if they were going to add another Final Fantasy rep they'd branch out from Final Fantasy VII a bit. It is an incredibly successful franchise with dozens of well received titles. There's no express need to stick to that one game

I'm not sure who, if you told me right now to name a second FF character not Sephiroth, I'd pick. But the first name that comes to mind is Terra. FFVI is well-regarded, it's Square's final fantasy game with Nintendo, and although she nominally uses a sword, she would be very magical. FF's spell conventions are so noted that KH and Bravely use them. Because Cloud can't cast Thunder, let Terra fry him a Thundaga and he goes Limit Break on her, she'll Aeroga back onto the stage.

3 minutes ago, Jave said:

Good point. Will be nice to see Sora speculation quelled a little.

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm thankful on that count. Geno is perfect premium mii costume fodder, and he doesn't deserve more.

If new Assist Trophies were part of DLC, which they aren't, I wouldn't rule out the impossibility of making the SNES doll one of them. It'd give the age-old desirers a taste of him in action, that'd sate them more.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Acacia Sgt. has mentioned this too. Chrono Trigger is peak 16-bit RPG bar none, so its near-titular character would be appropriate.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Acacia Sgt. has mentioned this too. Chrono Trigger is peak 16-bit RPG bar none, so its near-titular character would be appropriate.

I'm sorry. But for me, it's Frog, Robo, or nobody from that game.