Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I'd take the leak in question with a grain of salt, but I'd still cry tears of joy if Sora was the last fighter.

This is one of the more credible leaks I've seen, honestly. And, honestly, I hate it, this is like a worst-case scenario for me if Sora actually is the final fighter. No disrespect to KH or anything, but I really do not like that series.

11 hours ago, Crow_Black said:

Imagine if it was from one of Nintendo's more obscure franchises. Now that would be something to see.

Bad idea. A character from an obscure series will make a lot of fans go "What?", which isn't the kind of reaction they should be striving for. They need to top this off with something exciting, something that can rival Sephiroth's reception.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Bad idea. A character from an obscure series will make a lot of fans go "What?", which isn't the kind of reaction they should be striving for. They need to top this off with something exciting, something that can rival Sephiroth's reception.

Another Fire Emblem character it is then.

11 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

This is one of the more credible leaks I've seen, honestly. And, honestly, I hate it, this is like a worst-case scenario for me if Sora actually is the final fighter. No disrespect to KH or anything, but I really do not like that series.

If Disney was willing to play ball on this one then I'll eat my hat. 

I see red flags immediately. Nintendo requested the rights for Disney music back in late July of THIS year? And not back when they were planning the roster for these characters almost two years ago? That can't be right. Because what if you commissioned this awesome remix of a song that you were denied to use? Musicians need development time like anybody else working on the game. And if you don't know what music you even have access to, how do you construct the trailer? Getting the rights for stuff at the same time you're developing the stuff sounds unfeasibly sloppy to me. Sakurai's no amateur.

19 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I used Byleth and Min Min as examples because they were revealed during their presentations, like the final character will be.

Min Min's game was announced beforehand, that's a pretty significant difference. And even if they were similar in their reveal, two data points don't make a trend. If this new character comes out on October 5th or Dec 31st, I don't care. Just don't release them on 10/8

34 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I see red flags immediately. Nintendo requested the rights for Disney music back in late July of THIS year? And not back when they were planning the roster for these characters almost two years ago? That can't be right. Because what if you commissioned this awesome remix of a song that you were denied to use? Musicians need development time like anybody else working on the game. And if you don't know what music you even have access to, how do you construct the trailer? Getting the rights for stuff at the same time you're developing the stuff sounds unfeasibly sloppy to me. Sakurai's no amateur.

as much as i'd love sora to be the last DLC character, i'm not blindly believing this "leak", but playing the devil's advocate, what that person ("the dude" from now on) said is that Nintendo requested Disney the rights for some of their soundtracks in order to use them for a digital event

this doesn't mean those soundtracks are the ones they should've made remixes of
in fact, as far as we know, this agreement might even be just for the "Sakurai presents" video, while every other agreement needed for sora's inclusion would've definitely taken place many months prior

but i don't know how these things work, so i might be completely wrong with what i said

Edited by Yexin

I think it's likely Sora could be added in and I'm nearly positive it's either:

A Nihon Falcom character, a Namco Bandai character (specifically from Soulcalibur or the Tales series), Sora, Ryu Hayabusa, or of course a Nintendo character.

As for who's the most likely... I would say it's Sora or the Nihon Falcom character.

Edited by Fates-Blade

I'm still thinking it's not going to be Sora from Kingdom Hearts since we already have Heroes from Dragon Quest series and Sephiroth as the 2nd Final Fantasy rep as the enough Square Enix reps and plus, I definitely do not think we're getting a third 3rd Party Franchise Rep (like no more characters from Capcom, Square Enix, Microsoft, Konami etc.) from the same 3rd Party Company since people are going way too overboard with the 3rd Party Character Ideas. I'm still hoping it's going to be a 2nd SNK Frachise Rep (since SNK is the only current 3rd Party Company without a 2nd Franchise Rep) or an another Nintendo Fighter as Challenger Pack 11.

14 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

No, I do think they can bring one of the Retro 1st Party Nintendo characters for DLC since we didn't have a Retro 1st Party Nintendo character Newcomer added in the In-Game Roster in Ultimate. I do think a pick from one of those Retro 1st Party Nintendo characters has to be Mike Jones from StarTropics since he does have a lot of items can be added in for his Special Moves.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

No, I do think they can bring one of the Retro 1st Party Nintendo characters for DLC since we didn't have a Retro 1st Party Nintendo character Newcomer added in the In-Game Roster in Ultimate. I do think one of those Retro 1st Party Nintendo characters has to be Mike Jones from StarTropics since he does have a lot of items can be added in for his Special Moves.

Do you really think Mike Jones is exciting enough to warrant a DLC slot when everybody's asking for Crash, Sora, Reimu, Arle, Ryu Hayabusa, or another of a vast plethora of remaining candidates?

I will say this: As much as I enjoy having third party fighters in Smash, the one downside to that is the pool of viable fighters has expanded considerably to the point it feels like there are way too many good choices to include now. It becomes nearly impossible to make a call on who should get in next.

7 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm still thinking it's not going to be Sora from Kingdom Hearts since we already have Heroes from Dragon Quest series and Sephiroth as the 2nd Final Fantasy rep as the enough Square Enix reps

technically speaking, Sora is Disney's property, not Square Enix's, so he would not be listed as yet another SE rep, but as the very first Disney rep

Edited by Yexin

Here's a little thing I thought of; who's your most wanted for CP11, and who do you wish was playable in the base game (not including fighters who are DLC)?

My most wanted for CP11: Sora

Character I wish was playable in base: Shadow

4 hours ago, Yexin said:

technically speaking, Sora is Disney's property, not Square Enix's, so he would not be listed as yet another SE rep, but as the very first Disney rep

Yeah but, Square Enix was the one made the Kingdom Hearts Franchise. I still think Sora is still technically count as a Square Enix rep. Plus, there are some risky non-video game originated properties that Sakurai did said himself that he can't use for Super Smash Bros. series are the non-video game originated Disney characters and even that Key Blade did have the Mickey Mouse icon that Sakurai properly thought it might hurt the Kingdom Hearts fans without using the Disney characters in it.

4 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Yeah but, Square Enix was the one made the Kingdom Hearts Franchise. I still think Sora is still technically count as a Square Enix rep. Plus, there are some risky non-video game originated properties that Sakurai did said himself that he can't use for Super Smash Bros. series are the non-video game originated Disney characters and even that Key Blade did have the Mickey Mouse icon that Sakurai properly thought it might hurt the Kingdom Hearts fans without using the Disney characters in it.

It's absurd to think Disney would be willing to sign off on Sora yet be unwilling to sign off on any  Kingdom Hearts iconography that does with him. If we're getting Sora, we'll be getting Donald and Goofy and the whole show as stage elements and spirits and the like. There's simple no logic for Diseny to trust Nintendo to use Sora yet withhold a bunch of stuff from him. The only think I reckon we won't see because of licensing if we get Sora is any Utada Hikaru songs, and even then I wouldn't be surprised if they did get in, just not surprised if they didn't.

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's absurd to think Disney would be willing to sign off on Sora yet be unwilling to sign off on any  Kingdom Hearts iconography that does with him. If we're getting Sora, we'll be getting Donald and Goofy and the whole show as stage elements and spirits and the like. There's simple no logic for Diseny to trust Nintendo to use Sora yet withhold a bunch of stuff from him. The only think I reckon we won't see because of licensing if we get Sora is any Utada Hikaru songs, and even then I wouldn't be surprised if they did get in, just not surprised if they didn't.

But, Donald and Goofy are still non-video game originated characters since they had been debut in the classic Disney Cartoons way before Video Games were created. Sakurai did clearly said it in the Awards Ceremony when he said Super Smash Bros. is for video game originated characters only, he can't put any characters originated outside of video games in the SSB series like Goku and Iron Man. I'm still putting my hopes that Sora is not the Challenger Pack 11 Fighter, it's still possibly someone that isn't highly requested.

Edited by King Marth 64

Just now, King Marth 64 said:

But, Donald and Goofy are still non-video game originated characters since they had been debut in the classic Disney Cartoons way before Video Games were created. He did clearly said it in the Awards Ceremony when he said Super Smash Bros. is for video game originated characters only, he can't put characters originated outside of video games in the SSB series like Goku and Iron Man. I'm still putting my hopes that Sora isn't the Challenger Pack 11 Fighter.

He can though. He already has. I can point to Dracula or Dr Kawashima, and someone's immediate answer will be "but those are video game interpretations of real people", the same is true for the Kingdom Hearts characters. Court Mage Donald and Shield General Goofy are also video game incarnations of characters who have originated outside of video games. And if we're going as basic as something like the Mickey icon on Sora's keyblade, then I'm sure there's something as basic as a design in some Smash bros game appeared elsewhere first(the Triforce at least was a emblem of a noteworthy Samurai family in Japan, so that originated outside of video games). Even going back as far as the original Smash Brothers, the proximity mines were clearly based off of the ones from the James Bond video game, which were based off of the James Bond movie. There is no law in place here. Sakurai doesn't want to put the likes of Goku and Iron Man in Smash, that's fair enough, but that doesn't mean he's going to arbitrarily decide not to have a Donald or Goofy spirit as DLC to remain consistent, because the rules have never, since day 1, been consistent.

Aside from the issue surrounding Disney characters, the biggest factor making Sora unlikely is the fact we already got a Square rep this pass - Sephiroth. So far no company except Nintendo has been able to get more than one rep in a single pass.

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

Aside from the issue surrounding Disney characters, the biggest factor making Sora unlikely is the fact we already got a Square rep this pass - Sephiroth. So far no company except Nintendo has been able to get more than one rep in a single pass.

again, even though Square Enix makes KH games, Sora's copyrights are Disney's property, no matter what anyone's opinion on the matter is

Ultimate's three and a half year speculation period is almost over. If there are any last minute predictions/wishes, now is the time to mention them. I'm been satisfied with the roster since Pyra and Mythra were added, but I hope the last Mii costume wave includes Phoenix Wright (Brawler), Ryu Hayabusa (Swordfighter), the Doom Slayer (Gunner), and Shovel Knight (Swordfighter with music) assuming none of them are the final character.

As a reminder, here's the final presentation if you don't have it prepared already:

*Fingers crossed for Crash Bandicoot or someone else I'll really, really like*

Man, what a ride it's been since that first teaser trailer some years ago where we saw the Inklings and the fiery Smash symbol. All the DLC Fighters, Spirits, and Mii Costumes...we've had some ups and downs, but no denying it's been one wild ride. So far, the two absolute highlights for me have been Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth. The rest have been varying degrees of neat, but those two were far and away the most exciting additions.

Banjo & Kazooie were exciting because of how much it meant to see them added to the game after all this time, ever since Nuts N' Bolts all but killed the franchise. This was practically their N. Sane Trilogy comeback.

As for Sephiroth, simply seeing one of video gaming's most popular villains added was exciting for many. Villains were officially in consideration now too, and we did get at least one more villain to follow, Kazuya.

Here's hoping this last Mr. Sakurai Presents" sends everything home in a grand way.

Edited by Lord_Brand