Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

But Ike's didn't, which is the exact same type of final smash: move that hit the opponent before trapping them into the air followed by a fury of attacks before a final blow that launch them brutally on the ground.

I don't see how that's relevant. Why does Ike having the same kind of Final Smash prevent Robin's from being changed?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Three Houses lord as DLC wouldn't surprise me, but I think FE characters are lower priority for release since there's plenty of representation already.

I definitely expect to see some new characters/echoes for:

• Donkey Kong (at least one of Dixie, K. Rool, or Funky)
  • Kirby (either Waddle Dee or maybe Marx)
  • Zelda (Impa or Urbosa would be cool)
  • Pokemon (haven't played the newer games but it'd be surprising to get no new ones)
  • Sonic (as little as I care about Sonic stuff, Tails or Shadow wouldn't surprise me)
  • Xenoblade (a main character from either or both of the newer two games)
  • Konami (Simon Belmont rumors are floating around)
  • Square Enix (either Terra, Chrono, or Geno)
  • Capcom (Ken as a Ryu echo seems like an easy addition for them)
  • Maaaaaaybe someone from Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, or Animal Crossing, but those ones seem a little less likely to me

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I don't see how that's relevant. Why does Ike having the same kind of Final Smash prevent Robin's from being changed?

Most of the final smashs that were changed were due to being 'too long' since they want them to be faster. Ike did not change for what I can tell so it's fast enough for them.

At least that's what they said.

So unless they wanted Chrom to be something else like Ike's echo fighter, I don't think it has changed.

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

Most of the final smashs that were changed were due to being 'too long' since they want them to be faster.

Link's Final Smash is one of the fastest out there but it got changed. Toon Link keeps it though and i'm going to assume Young Link has it as well unless they give him Fierce Deity powers. Zelda's Final Smash literally lasted a split second but that got changed.

Most of the Final Smashes that were changed were Transformation-type Final Smashes. In fact, there are no Transformation-Type Final Smashes, so it's pretty much confirmed that Dragon Yoshi is gone, mechanically anyway.

So again, how does Ike keeping his Final Smash prevent Robin's from being changed?

Spoiler

Not sure if I'm just crazy, but Zelda looks a bit faster!! And what's even better, using Din's Fire in the air doesn't make her helpless, and it looks like you can move directly after using Farore's Wind! SO HAPPY for these Zelda improvements

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

Not sure if I'm just crazy, but Zelda looks a bit faster!

From what i hear, Ultimate is basically a faster version of Smash 4.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Link's Final Smash is one of the fastest out there but it got changed. Toon Link keeps it though and i'm going to assume Young Link has it as well unless they give him Fierce Deity powers. Zelda's Final Smash literally lasted a split second but that got changed.

Most of the Final Smashes that were changed were Transformation-type Final Smashes. In fact, there are no Transformation-Type Final Smashes, so it's pretty much confirmed that Dragon Yoshi is gone, mechanically anyway.

So again, how does Ike keeping his Final Smash prevent Robin's from being changed?

I haven't played BOTW but they probably change his final smash because he doesn't have the triforce of courage unlike other Links? Is there even a triforce in this game in the first place?

I'm unsure why myself, maybe because of effectiveness reasons? Or because of other reasons like Pokémon trainer being back.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

I haven't played BOTW but they probably change his final smash because he doesn't have the triforce of courage unlike other Links? Is there even a triforce in this game in the first place?

I mean, it's not like they couldn't take any liberties. They could've totally kept Triforce Slash if they wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I'm unsure why myself, maybe because of effectiveness reasons? Or because of other reasons like Pokémon trainer being back.

What do you mean by effectiveness reasons? What?

Random idea: Reyn as an assist trophy. Yay or nay?

He's already pouting in the corner like a big baby because he wasn't added to Shulk's final smash. Dunban and Fiora are pretty much a given and it's cool that the latter was added, but Reyn is pretty much a big part of that group. Don't know why Riki's there other than "so there will be more diversity and because nopon are cute".

We're probably never getting Groose with the Groosenator as an assist trophy at this rate.

43 minutes ago, Nym said:

So unless they wanted Chrom to be something else like Ike's echo fighter, I don't think it has changed.

I mean, that's the assumption.

It will be telling when we do get to see Robin's final smash.

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

I mean, that's the assumption.

It will be telling when we do get to see Robin's final smash.

I kind of like Robin's smash being Pair Up to represent that mechanic, but I can see him employing Grima for shits and giggles.

Ridley being in smash bros is proof that if you Meme hard enough your dreams will become true 

as for new comers, 2 maybe three. I can see Rex and one of the Three house lords in the game. Maybe one other.

are we counting returning characters like Snake as a newcomer?

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

Oh Robin's Final Smash is hidden? Dang, that is kinda telling for Chrom. I'd honestly play as him over Ike. But I'd be bummed he's in and not Lyn.

Also, where are people getting the pics of all the characters? I was on the Smash site but they only have screenshots?

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, it's not like they couldn't take any liberties. They could've totally kept Triforce Slash if they wanted to.

They could have but it wouldn't necessery make sense.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What do you mean by effectiveness reasons? What?

Take what I'll say with a grain of salt since this is mostly my opinion: 

Transformations final smash are the weakest because they use the character themselves. You can easily roll or air dodge their attacks and while they last slighly longer, it doesn't change a lot. And their power depends of which character we are talking about.

I personally prefered Lucario final smash of Brawl instead of the one in Smash 4 for example. And I hope it will return.

5 minutes ago, Nym said:

I personally prefered Lucario final smash of Brawl instead of the one in Smash 4 for example. And I hope it will return.

They'll probably make it both. Mega Lucario using Aura Storm.

12 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Random idea: Reyn as an assist trophy. Yay or nay?

He's already pouting in the corner like a big baby because he wasn't added to Shulk's final smash. Dunban and Fiora are pretty much a given and it's cool that the latter was added, but Reyn is pretty much a big part of that group. Don't know why Riki's there other than "so there will be more diversity and because nopon are cute".

We're probably never getting Groose with the Groosenator as an assist trophy at this rate.

If we're talking about Assist Trophies, since Snake is back I want to see Psycho Mantis. He can use his old party tricks of making the Joy-Cons rumble and reading your Switch's memory to find what games you've played!

And speaking of Metal Gear, Snake can finally reunite with his BROTHERRRRR since male Corrin is also in the game.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

They'll probably make it both. Mega Lucario using Aura Storm.

So Sean Schemmel-as-Lucario will finally get to use the Kamehameha?

13 minutes ago, Nym said:

Transformations final smash are the weakest because they use the character themselves. You can easily roll or air dodge their attacks and while they last slighly longer, it doesn't change a lot. And their power depends of which character we are talking about.

Well, from the looks of it transformation final smashes are indeed out. I like them though. At least charizard and yoshi were cool.

Edited by Inferno lizard

23 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Also, where are people getting the pics of all the characters? I was on the Smash site but they only have screenshots?

If you're refering to the renders

https://imgur.com/a/WEDylzM

20 minutes ago, Nym said:

They could have but it wouldn't necessery make sense.

It wouldn't, but it's not so farfetche'd that they couldn't make it work.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

They also removed Ike's Chrom alt I think that's a telling thing too. 

The one thing that kinda throws a wrench into this is that Marth still has his Roy alt.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The one thing that kinda throws a wrench into this is that Marth still has his Roy alt.

As does Fox his Wolf alt. And yet...

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Chrom, Dark Samus and Shadow are all looking decently likely candidates for the Echo deal. Which is pretty exciting

Only thing is Chrom’s can be explained easily to be honest. 

Like oh, they just didn’t get around to showing robin’s. 

And Vangaurd Ike lost half his costumes so the Chrom one makes sense, he needs red, yellow, and blue like everyone has. 

But I really want it...

Ike not having a Chrom alt anymore doesn't mean Chrom's in. Like stated above, RD Ike had to lose a few to make room for PoR Ike palettes. That could be the only reason the Chrom alt was removed. And Marth and Fox still have their Roy and Wolf alts respectively.

Chrom could be an echo fighter, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

Young Link & Toon Link still have their Tether's yes, and Young Link also retains the Melee aspects of Link such as the Rapid Jab which now as has a finisher ala Smash 4. (while keeping his Fire Arrows, and Toon Link has his unique aerials a new Fsmash and more). Since Adult Link has changed a bit in 4 and Ultimate, having Young Link keep his Melee moveset funnily enough makes him unique from Link himself.

Even character's like Doc are getting new moves (you can see him do a stomp instead of the old Melee/64 Mario spinkick for the dair)

81016225cd10650e7d3a53dfe7d4c632.png

That rapid A combo Link used to have actually has it's own name. It's called Illusion Stab, like officially. All the standard moves were given names in the first game, Link's in particular were doubly reinforced when he appeared in Soul Calibur II and retained all the same names (his Down Tilt is called Grass Cutter, which just makes me disappointed it doesn't actually look like the crouch stab from Ocarina of Time). These are the useless pieces of knowledge that crowd my brain.

Am I the only one that noticed they added an critical/skill portrait for every single FE character when they use their final smash?

4 minutes ago, Nym said:

Am I the only one that noticed they added an critical/skill portrait for every single FE character when they use their final smash?

They added one for every character, not just the FE guys.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They added one for every character, not just the FE guys.

Yeah I noticed after seeing Megaman.